How many of you are loving Mercs?

• 54 results
#1 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

Seirously, I just can't stop playing so I most probably will be enjoying the upcoming DLC! 

Managed to get in the top 100 for Ancient Ruins on Duo today, very proud of myself :D

There are a lot of boring jerks playing online though. It's like stop being a pussy!! Been playing with my bloke most of the time as we make an awesome doubles team.

#2 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I freaking love Mercenaries. I play with my bro......we make a good team. Damn though, nice score for Ruins. That's my worst stage, I only barely managed to break 80,000 on that one.

I spent six hours yesterday playing non-stop to unlock all the characters.

#3 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

My GOODNESS how do you get that score?!

I need help unlocking characters, anyone up for co-op? GT: Rimfya
#4 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

Yeah , Merc mode is awesome and thrilling beyond measure simply because you have to chain combos and break all the clock glasses to get extra time and collect items and ammo and so forth . Initially , I was terrible and could not get a rank more than C but I am getting better and better as I play more of it and finally managed to get a B rank and open a new map . That it is still progress ain't it ? lol   

Oh and congratulations about the rank , you should indeed be proud of yourself .

#5 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -
mmm delicious tribal Sheva with Longbow
#6 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
atheistium said:
"
#7 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

Yeah but again it relys on both of you knowing the maps well and knowing what you are doing.

Merc maps are slightly edited compared to original maps so make sure you learn them well by maybe loading a match up where you just run around for a little. See what spawns where, where combo bonus' are and where time bonus' are. 

I am pretty good at most of the maps (still learning prison atm) but I've played with people who have no idea which means I have to constantly watch their back resulting in us not gaining as much as I can because I am always saving them. So it's pretty essential you both know when to seperate and when to be together. 20% of the match should be seperated (at the start) to get a good spawn going and to get time bonus'. The rest of the match should be together taking on horde and running to a new area to spawn another horde.
#8 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I am also a lover of Mercs mode, though I've only played it solo so far. At first I thought to myself, "What the hell is this crap and why is only one level unlocked!?", but I quickly started to get the hang of it and I'm currently loving it! I haven't managed to unlock any characters yet, but I'm getting close...I'm also find the ship stage to be quite an annoying bitch of a level.

#9 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -
Kush said:
"I am also a lover of Mercs mode, though I've only played it solo so far. At first I thought to myself, "What the hell is this crap and why is only one level unlocked!?", but I quickly started to get the hang of it and I'm currently loving it! I haven't managed to unlock any characters yet, but I'm getting close...I'm also find the ship stage to be quite an annoying bitch of a level."
Yeah that level took me a few goes >.<;; It's because it's just all over the place rather than easy confined or easy open.
#10 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I can only get a C-rank on the first level. I'm presuming there's a way to get more time. But I'm not noticing it.

Hints and tips are welcome!

#11 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"I can only get a C-rank on the first level. I'm presuming there's a way to get more time. But I'm not noticing it.Hints and tips are welcome!"
I really recommend that you just start up a match and just explore the level with the time you've got....don't attempt to kill any infected etc. Just play through once to figure out where the pick ups are located and to get yourself better situated with the layout of the specific map.
#12 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -
Kush said:
"get2sammyb said:
"I can only get a C-rank on the first level. I'm presuming there's a way to get more time. But I'm not noticing it.Hints and tips are welcome!"
I really recommend that you just start up a match and just explore the level with the time you've got....don't attempt to kill any infected etc. Just play through once to figure out where the pick ups are located and to get yourself better situated with the layout of the specific map."
That's pretty much what me and my friends did. You have to get all the time bonuses and don't waste the combo bonuses. I'd also do the ground melee kill whenever I get the chance because it adds 5 seconds to your time. 60,000 will get you a B (and new level), and 80k will get you an A.
#13 Posted by RawShark (236 posts) -

Freakin' loving Mercs. I like working on my own more than co-op to be honest, because I'm so used to RE4. I tend to play Wesker, grab a crapload of time, and then fight a whole bunch of enemies in one place, using well placed shots and dancing around with melee attacks. Not to say co-op doesn't make it for me, because it's such an awesome addition. If anyone ever needs a partner, hit me up!

#14 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
suneku said:
"That's pretty much what me and my friends did. You have to get all the time bonuses and don't waste the combo bonuses. I'd also do the ground melee kill whenever I get the chance because it adds 5 seconds to your time. 60,000 will get you a B (and new level), and 80k will get you an A. "
I just want to point out that the points you listed are how much you need when playing Duo....in Solo you only need 20K for a B and 40K for an A.
#15 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
Kush said:
 I really recommend that you just start up a match and just explore the level with the time you've got....don't attempt to kill any infected etc. Just play through once to figure out where the pick ups are located and to get yourself better situated with the layout of the specific map."
  Yeah , getting to know the map , location of herbs , grenades , proximity mines and most importantly time bonuses is the key to survive while keeping the combo afloat .
#16 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
atheistium said:
"
#17 Edited by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

Wow, great score

I've only played a few levels and loving it

I haven't played it in RE 4, I should go back and do that
#18 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

Just topped my score on a different level. Very happy indeed!!! We kept our combo up and killed the chickens again. I'm third highest Brit on the board! Second highest is my boyfriend PvT Marcus <3

#19 Posted by FoxMulder (1697 posts) -

I'm pretty bad at it so far.  I can only get about 16,000  and a C each time.  Is there a trick to it?  I can't seem to find many enemies until the last 20 seconds or so.  

#20 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -
FoxMulder said:
"I'm pretty bad at it so far.  I can only get about 16,000  and a C each time.  Is there a trick to it?  I can't seem to find many enemies until the last 20 seconds or so.  "
Going from one section to the next. So when you spawn kill the few around you, walk past walls and such as they will climb over/jump out. Run around for time bonus' as this will activate new horde and boss spawn. Keep running around clearing each area :-)
#21 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

I am enjoying it, but RE4's was much better.

#22 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

Really Redsox? I recently played RE4 again before getting RE5 and I think nostalgia goggles have gotten the better of a lot of us.

#23 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
atheistium said:
"Really Redsox? I recently played RE4 again before getting RE5 and I think nostalgia goggles have gotten the better of a lot of us."
True, but at the time of release, I enjoyed re4 more. Are standards change quickly. 
#24 Edited by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
atheistium said:
"Just topped my score on a different level. Very happy indeed!!! We kept our combo up and killed the chickens again. I'm third highest Brit on the board! Second highest is my boyfriend PvT Marcus <3

"
  Fantastic , I will keep an eye on those chickens .

Edit :  Wow how could you get that much score with Jill ?
#25 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

The best way to score with Jill is to shoot enemies in the knee and then kick or stomp them when they are down. They will give you 5 extra seconds which will prove helpful later on

#26 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

I love Chris's shotgun simply because it is the only thing that works in solo mode . You kill enemies and clear the way at the same time when they are all over you .

#27 Posted by Mongoose (218 posts) -

I need a lot of practice it seems.  Just unlocked Mercenaries and I've managed to get a C :(
Practice makes perfect as they say. Off I go.

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

I think Mercenaries in this game is much easier then it was in RE4.

#29 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
JJOR64 said:
"I think Mercenaries in this game is much easier then it was in RE4."
No , I do not think so , it is got its own twists
#30 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -
atheistium said:
"Really Redsox? I recently played RE4 again before getting RE5 and I think nostalgia goggles have gotten the better of a lot of us."
Perhaps it is just that I think the controls for RE4 are much more responsive and tight then RE5. I actually HATED Resident Evil 5, it wasn't a survival horror game, it was just the bad controls that made it seem like that. Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece, I just played it and compared Mercenaries modes, and I can DEFINITELY say that RE4's mode is better by leaps and bounds.
#31 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -
RedSox8933 said:
"atheistium said:
Perhaps it is just that I think the controls for RE4 are much more responsive and tight then RE5. I actually HATED Resident Evil 5, it wasn't a survival horror game, it was just the bad controls that made it seem like that. Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece, I just played it and compared Mercenaries modes, and I can DEFINITELY say that RE4's mode is better by leaps and bounds."
RE4 wasn't a survival horror game either. It was action. The controls are tighter in RE5. I honestly would encourage you to replay RE4 and then play RE5. RE5 improved the controls considerably.
#32 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
atheistium said:
. RE5 improved the controls considerably."
  Agreed , I believe the default control scheme in RE5 is far better than the one in RE4 .
#33 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Pisses me off.  I lag when I play with people outside Japan and the Japanese players aren't that good.  I play with these girls I know at school, but haven't done so well with them squeeling in the mic every time an African scares them.  I swear, I really enjoy Biohazard 5...but having no one to play with is a pain in the ass.

So I said "screw mercs", put Street Figher IV back in so I can play lag-free against Americans and kick their Ken using asses. 

That's my rant...

#34 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -
KaosAngel said:
"Pisses me off.  I lag when I play with people outside Japan and the Japanese players aren't that good.  I play with these girls I know at school, but haven't done so well with them squeeling in the mic every time an African scares them.  I swear, I really enjoy Biohazard 5...but having no one to play with is a pain in the ass.So I said "screw mercs", put Street Figher IV back in so I can play lag-free against Americans and kick their Ken using asses.  That's my rant..."
What Jap players have you been playing with? They are all topping the leaderboards! 
#35 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
atheistium said:
"KaosAngel said:
"Pisses me off.  I lag when I play with people outside Japan and the Japanese players aren't that good.  I play with these girls I know at school, but haven't done so well with them squeeling in the mic every time an African scares them.  I swear, I really enjoy Biohazard 5...but having no one to play with is a pain in the ass.So I said "screw mercs", put Street Figher IV back in so I can play lag-free against Americans and kick their Ken using asses.  That's my rant..."
What Jap players have you been playing with? They are all topping the leaderboards! 
"
Friends.  I don't randomly play with Japanese people...they feel faux.  -sigh-
#36 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

Auww, shame :( Well if you ever need someone who knows what they are doing, let me know lol :p

#37 Posted by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

What level do you find it is easier to get better ranks on?

I've only got one A rank, and that was with Chris (BSAA) on the Experimental facility 
#38 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

The Missle level was the easiest for me to get an SS rank on and hit over the 220,000+ mark. It's just being able to move around quickly and find your prey. 

Only problem with that level is the sheer size and levels it has. Because one zombie (or chicken) could be left needing to be killed to spawn others and you could be running around for a whole 2 min's looking for it.
#39 Posted by supersatanic (56 posts) -
RedSox8933 said:
"atheistium said:
Perhaps it is just that I think the controls for RE4 are much more responsive and tight then RE5. I actually HATED Resident Evil 5, it wasn't a survival horror game, it was just the bad controls that made it seem like that. Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece, I just played it and compared Mercenaries modes, and I can DEFINITELY say that RE4's mode is better by leaps and bounds."
We're all entitled to our own opinions,but as far as Mercs goes, I find RE5's to be much better. Maps are much more creative and item placement is rigid. But then I only bought the game  5-6 days ago, beat it once and I was a lot busy with some coursework  and didn't really play it that much.   I do also think that the highlight of RE5 is not mercs but beating the campaign on hardest with random people on XBL. Its a lot of fun adjusting the the playstyles of others. I will concentrate on mercs after I'm through with that.
#40 Posted by supersatanic (56 posts) -
KaosAngel said:
.So I said "screw mercs", put Street Figher IV back in so I can play lag-free against Americans and kick their Ken using asses.  That's my rant..."
LOL. Classic "Ken fighter" crisis seeps its way into the RE boards. Truth be told, i was expecting this from the start as when I started playing HD Remix, people picked ken almost all the time. So i thought to myself, when SF4 comes out, this is going to be out of control.
And it did. And it was......
#41 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Really got into it last night.  Unlocked all the characters.  STARS Wesker seems best to me so far.  Love the shotgun.

#42 Posted by zymase (158 posts) -

That's a crazy score Atheistium, congratulations!

#43 Posted by Liono88 (368 posts) -

Merc's is awesome....The Japanese own the leader boards..good work breaking into the top 100 though

#44 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

I am getting pushed down as we speak :( sad faacee

#45 Posted by Ender445 (36 posts) -

I am loving Mercenaries so far. I'm not amazing at it or anything, but I'm getting alright. My friend and I managed to get two SS ranks on Public Assembly last night. Got about 190,000 points with Battle Suit Jill, and then a bit over 200,000 with Tribal Sheva. We got 148 kills and managed to hold a 148 combo. Pretty tough.

I've got an S with all characters but BSAA Chris on Public Assembly. He's hard.

#46 Posted by prettyhatemachine (18 posts) -
Irregardless of whether RE4 is better or worse, I'm definately missing Wesker's crazy punch from RE4. That thing was insane for combos
#47 Posted by HistoryInRust (6317 posts) -

As ridiculously powerful as Wesker (Stars) is, my favorite is definitely Battle-Suit Jill.

A friend and I nailed a 134 kill combo on Public Assembly.  How ridiculous. 

#48 Posted by Ender445 (36 posts) -

Haha, I found out last night that you can actually end the game by killing all the enemies. My friend and I managed to get 210,000 on Experimental Facility, we landed in the top 415 on the leaderboards. Our other highest score was 206,000 on Public Assembly. I think we got in the top couple thousand.

#49 Posted by Ryu (382 posts) -

I'm not good enough to get into the top 100 or anything, but I'm enjoying it and unlocked all the characters this morning. Where the hell is HUNK btw?

#50 Edited by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of character differentiation, but it's pretty good. I mainly use it as a 1-on-1 chat room in which a friend and I just talk about how our days are going all whilst killing zombies (EDIT: I meant to say "infected", but I'll never get use to that). We're not in it to score big or anything, my friend and I just find it therapeutic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.