Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

How scary is this game? 0.o

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mazik765

I've been eying this game at my local game store for a little while because it's getting pretty cheap. I have had a few friends say that they really enjoyed the game and it looks gorgeous. My main deterrent in buying this game is that I am rather skittish. Blood and gore does not bother me, just tension and suspense make me very jumpy which usually results in me turning off my system out of discomfort.
    I had this problem with Condemned 2, which I only owned because I got it for free. I played about 30 minutes of it over the course of 2 weeks and then just gave up and it sat on my shelf, mocking my cowardice for months before I sold it.
    So do you guys think I could make it through this game? Or do you think it might be another Condemned 2 scenario?

P.S. Yes, I know I am a chicken. Just to save you trolls time.

Kedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kedi

Its not scary at all.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

It's not super scary.  There are a couple of jump-scare moments, but for the most part it's very focused on action.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Elazul

It's not scary at all, but it is really intense. If you're all right with Gears of War then you should be fine with this.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mazik765

Cool thanks guys. Will pick it up next time I'm at the store.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

You should get Dead Space instead. Much less scary than Resident Evil 5, and you can probably find it even cheaper!  

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By raviolisumo

There's more jump scares than anything. Also it's grotesque in spots, if that matters.

John_Bender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John_Bender

I don't even consider it a horror game anymore, nothing scared me it that game. You can game without fear on this on, mate.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

I never even found the game startling, or even gross. 

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Not at all scary.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Venatio

I get scared VERY easily and this game wasn't scary whatsoever, on the other hand I did play through Dead Space aswell....twice

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

Not even a little

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By fugie7

it is not scary at all.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'll admit I'm very easily scared but even I can say RE5 isn't scary at all. Its intense, but not scary.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EVO

It's scary how clunky the controls are.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @EVO said:
    " It's scary how clunky the controls are. "
    Its a survival horror game. Not Gears.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hitchenson

You're asking how scary a poor Gears of War imitation is? Interesting.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EVO
    @MysteriousBob said:

" @EVO said:

" It's scary how clunky the controls are. "
    Its a survival horror game. Not Gears. "
    If survival horror means taking control away from the player, such a reloading while moving, or using diagonal inputs on the d-pad to select items, then fuck survival horror.
    OpenWideToSwim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OpenWideToSwim

i cried the first time i played /sarcasm

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hourai

I beat it four or five days ago and I didn't find it scary at all. There are some really suspenseful moments, like the chainsaw dudes and certain swarms of enemies, but that's about it.   It's a good game, just not scary.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Firstly, it's nowhere near as frightening or constantly tense like the Condemned games. Resident Evil is more of an action title now, and though there is a chilling atmosphere in spots, you're mostly going to be concerned with the action and not the scares. Plus, you have an AI Partner with you at all times, so you're never alone. 

You should get it. It's a fine game that has a lot of replayability. For twenty bucks, it's a steal.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Tornac

I wasn't scared for one moment in Resident Evil 5. However, it's an edge of you seat action game, not a survival-horror game, and when it's defined as that it's a great game. If it's classified as horror, it fails. Worst Resident Evil in terms of scares, third best in terms of gameplay.

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonybard37

on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being the highest its about a 0 on the scare factor :|

purpleinsect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By purpleinsect

It has it's moments, but that's about it. It's intense more than it is scary :)

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By craigbo180
    @mazik765 said:
    I've been eying this game at my local game store for a little while because it's getting pretty cheap. I have had a few friends say that they really enjoyed the game and it looks gorgeous. My main deterrent in buying this game is that I am rather skittish. Blood and gore does not bother me, just tension and suspense make me very jumpy which usually results in me turning off my system out of discomfort. I had this problem with Condemned 2, which I only owned because I got it for free. I played about 30 minutes of it over the course of 2 weeks and then just gave up and it sat on my shelf, mocking my cowardice for months before I sold it. So do you guys think I could make it through this game? Or do you think it might be another Condemned 2 scenario?  P.S. Yes, I know I am a chicken. Just to save you trolls time.
    Since someone has resurrected this thread, did you end up getting Resi 5? How did you find it?
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#26  Edited By KillyDarko

It's not scary. At all.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mazik765
    @craigbo180 said:
    @mazik765 said:
    I've been eying this game at my local game store for a little while because it's getting pretty cheap. I have had a few friends say that they really enjoyed the game and it looks gorgeous. My main deterrent in buying this game is that I am rather skittish. Blood and gore does not bother me, just tension and suspense make me very jumpy which usually results in me turning off my system out of discomfort. I had this problem with Condemned 2, which I only owned because I got it for free. I played about 30 minutes of it over the course of 2 weeks and then just gave up and it sat on my shelf, mocking my cowardice for months before I sold it. So do you guys think I could make it through this game? Or do you think it might be another Condemned 2 scenario?  P.S. Yes, I know I am a chicken. Just to save you trolls time.
    Since someone has resurrected this thread, did you end up getting Resi 5? How did you find it?
    Wow, I had totally forgot bout the existence of this thread. Anyway I loved RE5. I played through it multiple times with my girlfriend, and the co-op was great. I know  lot of RE fans the this game, but as someone who is relatively new to the series, I thought it was excellent. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Enigma777
    @Shadow
    Not even a little
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By craigbo180
    @mazik765 said:
    @craigbo180 said:
    @mazik765 said:
    Wow, I had totally forgot bout the existence of this thread. Anyway I loved RE5. I played through it multiple times with my girlfriend, and the co-op was great. I know  lot of RE fans the this game, but as someone who is relatively new to the series, I thought it was excellent. 
    MMMMM closure. Delicious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.