RE4 better than 5.

• 113 results
#1 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

Who is with me here?

#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

This really does not need to be discussed. We all know the answer.

Don't hate on RE4 or RE5. Both are good games.

#4 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Last time I checked the two were different games in stylistics.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

If we're talking about the Wii version, I'm with you. If we're talking about the GC/PS2 one, I'm not.

#6 Posted by joey (980 posts) -
Icemael said:
"If we're talking about the Wii version, I'm with you. If we're talking about the GC/PS2 one, I'm not."
I agree with this, except for the last part because i only played the Wii version.
But RE5 is still a good game.
#7 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -
lemon360 said:
"Who is with me here?"
In controls I would say no, since the controls going back to them now feel really awkward on 4(using only 1 stick I mean) but the game start to finish and every single boss...plus the way you upgraded your weapons and could buy addons to almost all of them, along with about 80% more inventory space than 5 allows at all times...yeah , 4 is far superior.
#8 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

Wii version of Re4 was infinitely superior. Almost every single aspect of it. 

#9 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I haven't played much of RE5, but when i do it will have some big shoes to fill, as RE4 was one of my favorite games all time.

#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

RE4 was really good, but I never played through it more than once.  I've played through RE5 multiple times.  I think RE4 is a better 'RE' game, and it is more impressive, innovative and enjoyable the first time through, but I've played RE5 for more time.  I'd be inclined to give the edge to RE4, but RE5 is vastly better in some ways.

#11 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

...and Dead Space is better than both of them.

#12 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"...and Dead Space is better than both of them."
I agree. 
#13 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
jakob187 said:
I'd say Dead Space and the Wii version of RE4 are equally awesome, but Dead Space is much, much better than RE5 and RE4's GC/PS2 versions.
#14 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Honestly, if 4 were released in 2009, it still might be better than 5.  Considering it was released in 2005, I would say it is better by a large margin, and I played the worst version of it.  Of course, this isn't me hating on 5, since I really enjoyed playing through it as well.

#15 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

I wonder if the Wii controls will work as much magic on the Wii version of Dead Space... 

#16 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
raven_squad said:
"I wonder if the Wii controls will work as much magic on the Wii version of Dead Space... "
There is no Wii version of Dead Space... only an on-rails shooter.
#17 Edited by raven_squad (438 posts) -
Icemael said:
"raven_squad said:
"I wonder if the Wii controls will work as much magic on the Wii version of Dead Space... "
"
Oh really? I quit following it a while ago...that sounds pretty shitty... :( 
#18 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -

In singleplayer mode, yes it is. But adding co-operative play to any action game seems to automatically make it a thousand times better, and I much, much prefer playing through RE5 with a friend than playing through RE4 by myself.

#19 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
raven_squad said:
"Icemael said:
"raven_squad said:
"
"
You should check out the game's wiki page, and GB's preview. I think it could turn out to be a pretty good game, but nowhere near the original Dead Space. Man, when I think about all that lost potential...
#20 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -
Icemael said:
"raven_squad said:
"Icemael said:
"raven_squad said:
"
"
You should check out the game's wiki page, and GB's preview. I think it could turn out to be a pretty good game, but nowhere near the original Dead Space. Man, when I think about all that lost potential...
"
Hmmm... I checked out the wiki. It does still look promising, but I agree... lost potential... I wasn't very fond of Umbrella Chronicles, and this seems to be much in the same vein. We'll see though.
#21 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -
jakob187 said:
Yeah, I agree to that for sure.
#22 Posted by Grim_Fandango (258 posts) -

Hey guys don't for get that dude who sold you stuff in RE4...

You know... WHAT ARE YOU BUYING?!

What are you selling? Ahhh.... I'll buy that at a high price....

In that regard, RE4 was better, but in other senses, I feel that RE5 does win in many aspects, maybe RE4 wins in the non-frustration factor, come one, admit it, you rarely got ammo, and when you did, you lost it within the first 15 seconds.

#23 Posted by xCJES (58 posts) -

RE4 Wii version was soooo much better then RE5 in my opinion.

#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

I disagree. Both are amazing though.

#25 Posted by Guardian (318 posts) -

I like a solo and scary game, so i'm with the RE4 camp (and Dead Space).

#26 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
jakob187 said:
this is the correct answer.
#27 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -
clubsandwich said:
"jakob187 said:
this is the correct answer."
Not even close.
#28 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

RE4 camp here, plus dead space

#29 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

RE4 is one of my favorite games. Period. I haven't played RE5 yet *insert sad face* but I'm really looking forward to it.

And Dead Space is a brilliant horror game, loved it.

#30 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

They're the same game with different characters and settings. 

#31 Edited by thiago (666 posts) -

RE4 was a lot better because of the atmosphere and gameplay which included puzzles. It was interesting.

RE5 is shooting 100% of the time, which is retarded because of the controls. In RE4 the controls are the crappy but the gameplay doesn't require you to run and gun. In RE5 is all run and gun with a retarded AI as a buddy.

I only wish there were justice on this world and Capcom would suffer because of this crappy game. But a lot of idiots, including myself, bought it because of RE4.

#32 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -
Kombat said:
"They're the same game with different characters and settings.  "
Didn't stop people from taking sides with Doom and Heretic back in the day.
#33 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I've been playing resident evil 4 on pc, I have this ultimate patch that replaces all the texture to next gen levels, practically a remake that's next gen quality. The game still holds up today and even better than resident evil 5, it's actually more scary. It's practically brilliant compared to non scary action game resident evil 5.

#34 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
HitmanAgent47 said:
"I've been playing resident evil 4 on pc, I have this ultimate patch that replaces all the texture to next gen levels, practically a remake that's next gen quality. The game still holds up today and even better than resident evil 5, it's actually more scary. It's practically brilliant compared to non scary action game resident evil 5. "
Stop bumping threads with your idiotic replies.
#35 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

RE4 (PC version w/ mods) > RE5

#36 Posted by RJPelonia (854 posts) -

I completely disagree with you.

#37 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -
RJPelonia said:
"I completely disagree with you."
Who? Me?
#38 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

RE5>RE4

#39 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

RE4: Wii Edition > RE5 co-op > RE4 GC/PS2 > RE5 single player.

Now let this topic die.
#40 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
Icemael said:
"RE4: Wii Edition > RE5 co-op > RE4 GC/PS2 > RE5 single player.

Now let this topic die.
"
no
#41 Posted by NickM (1067 posts) -

I think that RE4 is the best game ever, so I'm with you.

#42 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2414 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"No."
Yes
#43 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I like Resident Evil 5 better because it offers much more replay value that Resident Evil 4 did.  There are many more unlocks  and the addition of online co-op is great.

#44 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
Diamond said:
"HitmanAgent47 said:
"I've been playing resident evil 4 on pc, I have this ultimate patch that replaces all the texture to next gen levels, practically a remake that's next gen quality. The game still holds up today and even better than resident evil 5, it's actually more scary. It's practically brilliant compared to non scary action game resident evil 5. "
Stop bumping threads with your idiotic replies."
I don't know the rules of the site, I would of teared you a new one for saying that yet i'll be cautious. Honestly what is wrong with my replies? The fact that resident evil 5 was not scary, it's easy and only an AA game? If you don't like my replies then i'll keep bumping more threads with my opinions. I didn't bump the thread, it was already bumped, I merely posted in it. I only post her occassionally and I don't know what you mean by old threads, they are all new to me.

#45 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

They are both awesome for sure. But for me 4 was much better.

#46 Posted by Jeust (10482 posts) -

i liked much more resident evil 4. 

And comparing it to dead space?

It's not worth comparing... Resident evil 4 was the game in 2005.  For me it's one of the best games of all time. But dead space is perhaps the best survival horror game of this generation, but not as good as RE4.

About RE5, it has a very good muliplayer experience, that none of the above have... but the rest i didn't appreciate as much as those two, even because sheva was a little annoying, with all the spending bullets shooting thru you. 

Ahhh that and the villagers don't insult you. I liked that... 
#47 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -
Br3adfan said:
"I like Resident Evil 5 better because it offers much more replay value that Resident Evil 4 did.  There are many more unlocks  and the addition of online co-op is great."

Unlockables does not make a game great. As a game RE5 is simply terrible. The story is terrible, the characters are terrible, the action is terrible.

Unlockables are like selling crack in front of schools. It adds nothing to your life, but it is a way of addicting some people so they keep coming back and giving their money to the drug dealer. This is how companies such as Capcom play on people's weaknesses.

The coop is just another evidence that the game is a simple Gears of War rip-off.
#48 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

RE4 is better than RE5. End of Story.

#49 Posted by Pie (7058 posts) -
thiago said:
"Br3adfan said:
"I like Resident Evil 5 better because it offers much more replay value that Resident Evil 4 did.  There are many more unlocks  and the addition of online co-op is great."
Unlockables does not make a game great. As a game RE5 is simply terrible. The story is terrible, the characters are terrible, the action is terrible.Unlockables are like selling crack in front of schools. It adds nothing to your life, but it is a way of addicting some people so they keep coming back and giving their money to the drug dealer. This is how companies such as Capcom play on people's weaknesses.The coop is just another evidence that the game is a simple Gears of War rip-off."
Why do people keep saying it's a gears of war rip-off then saying it has the same gameplay from resident evil4 even though it was made way before gears of war?
#50 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -
Pie said:
"thiago said:
"Br3adfan said:
Unlockables does not make a game great. As a game RE5 is simply terrible. The story is terrible, the characters are terrible, the action is terrible.Unlockables are like selling crack in front of schools. It adds nothing to your life, but it is a way of addicting some people so they keep coming back and giving their money to the drug dealer. This is how companies such as Capcom play on people's weaknesses.The coop is just another evidence that the game is a simple Gears of War rip-off."
Why do people keep saying it's a gears of war rip-off then saying it has the same gameplay from resident evil4 even though it was made way before gears of war?
"

Because RE4 and Gears of War have nothing in common, except the third person perspective. But then Mario 64 also use third person... so what? Those are two different games, entirely.

They ripped off from Gears  the action gameplay, the coop, the Hammer of Dawn, the linear gameplay, the cover mechanics, etc. But everything was done is a crappy and lousy way, for example: the cover mechanics is so terribly implemented that prevents you from moving. The Zombies actually have more mobility than you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.