Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

RE5 Versus DLC: Who the hell cares?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Edited By yukoasho

Resident Evil 5 has been quite the controversial game of late.  First, the demo being out in Japan months before everyone else got it, despite said demo having English text.  Then it was the brouhaha over the completely unaltered control scheme.  Now it's the pay-to-play VS modes.

Resident Evil versus mode.

Okay, I don't know many things, and much of the world is odd to me, but why does anyone even want a versus mode in this of all games?  I don't know about you, but it seems like something painfully stapled on at the last minute, as the very idea of death matches with controls virtually unaltered from Resident Evil 4 lacks appeal to me, especially in the face of far better shooters for multiplayer including Gears of War, Call of Duty and Killzone 2.  Not only that, but who the hell buys Resident Evil and wishes they could play against others?  The co-op I can kind of understand, certainly, but versus?  Just sounds like it'd be stupidly frustrating.

However, the reason why I'm writing this is to respond to the apparent outrage over the fact that this is going to cost five bucks (400 MS points).  It seems like a lot of money, and it most certainly is for something as tacked on as this.  However, the irrational reactions of some just strike me as curious, particularly those who say they're going to boycott Resident Evil 5 over this.  The reaction here just strikes me as wholly immature.  Why the hell would you not buy a game that, by all accounts is pretty good, simply because of a stupid piece of DLC.  That'd be like not buying Street Fighter IV because Capcom put out the costume packs.  Rather than show a dissatisfaction with the DLC, you're really showing a disinterest in the game, which serves no one.  The best way to deal with this is to pretend the DLC isn't there.  That's what I've done since this generation began.  I've bought no skins, cars, costumes, picture packs, or any other stupid items that have been thrown at the two marketplaces, simply because I don't want or need them.  And you know what?  I've never had a problem, and have enjoyed my games regardless.

In other words, spend wisely.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By yukoasho

Resident Evil 5 has been quite the controversial game of late.  First, the demo being out in Japan months before everyone else got it, despite said demo having English text.  Then it was the brouhaha over the completely unaltered control scheme.  Now it's the pay-to-play VS modes.

Okay, I don't know many things, and much of the world is odd to me, but why does anyone even want a versus mode in this of all games?  I don't know about you, but it seems like something painfully stapled on at the last minute, as the very idea of death matches with controls virtually unaltered from Resident Evil 4 lacks appeal to me, especially in the face of far better shooters for multiplayer including Gears of War, Call of Duty and Killzone 2.  Not only that, but who the hell buys Resident Evil and wishes they could play against others?  The co-op I can kind of understand, certainly, but versus?  Just sounds like it'd be stupidly frustrating.

However, the reason why I'm writing this is to respond to the apparent outrage over the fact that this is going to cost five bucks (400 MS points).  It seems like a lot of money, and it most certainly is for something as tacked on as this.  However, the irrational reactions of some just strike me as curious, particularly those who say they're going to boycott Resident Evil 5 over this.  The reaction here just strikes me as wholly immature.  Why the hell would you not buy a game that, by all accounts is pretty good, simply because of a stupid piece of DLC.  That'd be like not buying Street Fighter IV because Capcom put out the costume packs.  Rather than show a dissatisfaction with the DLC, you're really showing a disinterest in the game, which serves no one.  The best way to deal with this is to pretend the DLC isn't there.  That's what I've done since this generation began.  I've bought no skins, cars, costumes, picture packs, or any other stupid items that have been thrown at the two marketplaces, simply because I don't want or need them.  And you know what?  I've never had a problem, and have enjoyed my games regardless.

In other words, spend wisely.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I would certainly not NOT buy a game because of this (I already did), I believe it is just a cheap marketing move that is making consumers pay for content that should've been in the game in the first place, and probably could have. I might get it because it is only 400 points (800 would have been much worse, I assure you), but that is only because I just really like the game.  Obviously, not everyone does.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

this is so bullshit. people who bought into this and actually paid 5 dollars for this crap is a complete MORON!!!!

btw, RE5 is not THAT good of a game to begin with, why would you want to dish out another $5 for a mediorc game?

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Moeez

I think you might find a lot more people would boycott the game on the terms that it's changed genres to an action game, and only bears Resident Evil in name. Rather than the pointless DLC. 

And by all accounts, critics are disappointed with the game (Xplay, IGN UK, Gametrailers, Gamespot, etc.).
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

A player v. player versus mode in RE is probably the worst idea ever.

Competitive modes may be cool, though.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Ujio

I wholeheartedly agree, Yuko. To take your blog in kind:

• The game doesn't need a VS mode at all.
    • The sad fact is it appears to be a last minute "tacked" on decision, unfortunately this is something they had every intention of doing from the beginning. You know they could have just as well included this mode on the disc from the factory, but in the almighty greed of capitalism they decided to nickel and dime their customers.
    • I agree that boycotting the game is retarded when the issue is not the game but the DLC. Boycott THAT, not the game, and it will send a stronger message. But to not buy the game altogether is not telling them anything except you don't want the game. We want the game. We don't want to be nickle and dimed for content that should be on the disc already.
    • I have also NOT bought any type of DLC either. If it's not free it's not for me (kinda cheesy but it works). I knew this shit would end up happening ever since the term "microtransaction" popped up in our lexicon. People scoffed and guffawed that "NO! Never would those companies undertake such cheap tactics to make money off their loyal customers!" Yet look where we've arrived at today?
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

While I agree with the majority of your post, I feel it is my duty to inform you that buy not purchasing any DLC, you are truly missing out; standouts include GTA IV's "Lost and Damned" expansion and Mass Effect's "Bring Down the Sky" (now obtainable on disc with the Platinum Hits edition for a mere twenty bones, I might add). I am with you on not buying trivial DLC, but eight-hour expansions and add-ons for games of truly epic length? C'mon. You gotta' hit some of dat.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By daz0608
    squirtle_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By squirtle_squad

I'll be buying this game just not a new copy. Here I come Gamestop!
    With those $5 bucks off of the used copy I'll get the DLC.
    Ahh... screw the DLC I'll just buy a used copy.
    That way I wont be helping Capcom for screwing the consumer over for something that probably is already in the disk.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dr_Cash
    YukoAsho said:
    "Resident Evil 5 has been quite the controversial game of late.  First, the demo being out in Japan months before everyone else got it, despite said demo having English text.  Then it was the brouhaha over the completely unaltered control scheme.  Now it's the pay-to-play VS modes.

However, the reason why I'm writing this is to respond to the apparent outrage over the fact that this is going to cost five bucks (400 MS points).  It seems like a lot of money, and it most certainly is for something as tacked on as this.  However, the irrational reactions of some just strike me as curious, particularly those who say they're going to boycott Resident Evil 5 over this.  The reaction here just strikes me as wholly immature.  Why the hell would you not buy a game that, by all accounts is pretty good, simply because of a stupid piece of DLC.  That'd be like not buying Street Fighter IV because Capcom put out the costume packs.  Rather than show a dissatisfaction with the DLC, you're really showing a disinterest in the game, which serves no one.  The best way to deal with this is to pretend the DLC isn't there.  That's what I've done since this generation began.  I've bought no skins, cars, costumes, picture packs, or any other stupid items that have been thrown at the two marketplaces, simply because I don't want or need them.  And you know what?  I've never had a problem, and have enjoyed my games regardless.In other words, spend wisely."

GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!! If you do not want to get it then dont. I do not see Capcoms hand in your pocket steeling your cash. FOR FUCK SAKE JUST DO NOT GET IT. I will myself becuase I like the game and RE. And I will go into it knowing it is notm a COD4 or Halo Or Gears killer online. I'll go into it knowing it is RE online and accept that and enjoy it.

So don't FUCKING BUY IT THEN why BITCH and PISS and MOAN when you are not getting it anyway.
    Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dr_Cash

And I say this to mostly others who complain. Why complain about DLC it is a good thing in most cases. And if you do not want it then don't no reason once so ever to piss and moan about it.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kratos81
    Dr_Cash said:
    "And I say this to mostly others who complain. Why complain about DLC it is a good thing in most cases. And if you do not want it then don't no reason once so ever to piss and moan about it."
    Dlc is usually released months down the road because it wasnt made yet. These days it seems the content is ready but they would rather charge for it online them put it in the game you just bought. I dont really care in this case because RE5 is a ok game at best and after I beat it will most likely never play it again. This game is a huge disappointment.
    Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dr_Cash
    Kratos81 said:
    "Dr_Cash said:
    "And I say this to mostly others who complain. Why complain about DLC it is a good thing in most cases. And if you do not want it then don't no reason once so ever to piss and moan about it."
    Dlc is usually released months down the road because it wasnt made yet. These days it seems the content is ready but they would rather charge for it online them put it in the game you just bought. I dont really care in this case because RE5 is a ok game at best and after I beat it will most likely never play it again. This game is a huge disappointment.
    "
    Sad thing is I think most are playing it om normal setting. I noticed my buddy list all are playing it on normal when I check leaderboards. Not me however I and playing on HARD mode. And I want to unlock the proffesional Hard mode that's when it will be really fun doing coop with the level setting.

And I think Capcom will have several DLC for this game I mean look what they did with RE4. So I think we could see DLC for RE5 for the next few yesr really. It would be so easy for them to do it they have a back story. They could have DLC for Josh and his teams perspective. I see it happing. And it will only make the game more awsome.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kratos81

Dr_Cash said:

"Kratos81 said:
    "Dr_Cash said:
    "
    Sad thing is I think most are playing it om normal setting. I noticed my buddy list all are playing it on normal when I check leaderboards. Not me however I and playing on HARD mode. And I want to unlock the proffesional Hard mode that's when it will be really fun doing coop with the level setting.And I think Capcom will have several DLC for this game I mean look what they did with RE4. So I think we could see DLC for RE5 for the next few yesr really. It would be so easy for them to do it they have a back story. They could have DLC for Josh and his teams perspective. I see it happing. And it will only make the game more awsome."
    I started out on veteran and played that way up to chapter 3-2. I changed it to normal because it is easier to beat it on hard after you beat it once and know how everything works. I was going to go back and finish it on veteran but Im not sure if I will want to replay this or not. Lets admit it, there is no horror here, its just a 3rd person shooter and not a very good one by todays standards. It good enough to play tru once but I dont see myself doing it again real soon.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.