Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Resident Evil 5 Demo Impressions

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By Lozz

Just finished playing the demo and for under 500mb, that demo is damn impressive. The graphics, whilst not finished I would assume still look really great. Really nice details very sharp looking. While there isn't really much innovation in the controls from the previous game its still very sharp, if its not broke don't fix it I guess. The game is still very tense as you can't move and shoot but the core movement is still solid. The aiming was far too slow for me and I had to change that but after it was great. I'm a bit mixed about the AI partner though, while she can be some help she seems to use up ammo really fast. I like to conserve and aim for the head with every shot, Sheva on the other hand pretty much blasts fools like a gangsta in a disagreement, on speed. Still, she was occasionally helpful, her saving me and me saving her is fun. I got a bit pissed off when we split up and literally 10 seconds into her moving down the building she was screaming for help, I hope there aren't too many of those moments to be honest. I did like the new equipment select and trading, seemed a bit Dead Space inspired and a good addition. Overall it seems like its the same Resident Evil I loved nearly 5 years ago, I'm sure there is more to whats in the demo though.
    Also its worth noting I haven't tried the co-op, and co-op always makes games more fun. I can't wait to be screaming at my mates "I NEED MORE AMMO!!!!" or "GIVE ME HEALTH!!!!! NO THE GREEN HERB!!!!!" Yeah my friends aren't into Resident Evil.

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lozz

Just finished playing the demo and for under 500mb, that demo is damn impressive. The graphics, whilst not finished I would assume still look really great. Really nice details very sharp looking. While there isn't really much innovation in the controls from the previous game its still very sharp, if its not broke don't fix it I guess. The game is still very tense as you can't move and shoot but the core movement is still solid. The aiming was far too slow for me and I had to change that but after it was great. I'm a bit mixed about the AI partner though, while she can be some help she seems to use up ammo really fast. I like to conserve and aim for the head with every shot, Sheva on the other hand pretty much blasts fools like a gangsta in a disagreement, on speed. Still, she was occasionally helpful, her saving me and me saving her is fun. I got a bit pissed off when we split up and literally 10 seconds into her moving down the building she was screaming for help, I hope there aren't too many of those moments to be honest. I did like the new equipment select and trading, seemed a bit Dead Space inspired and a good addition. Overall it seems like its the same Resident Evil I loved nearly 5 years ago, I'm sure there is more to whats in the demo though.
    Also its worth noting I haven't tried the co-op, and co-op always makes games more fun. I can't wait to be screaming at my mates "I NEED MORE AMMO!!!!" or "GIVE ME HEALTH!!!!! NO THE GREEN HERB!!!!!" Yeah my friends aren't into Resident Evil.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

That's good to hear.  I'll download it when I get home after work this evening.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I didn't enjoy the demo at all...even tried out the co-op with MB and even that wasn't much fun. This demo has only confirmed that I won't be buying RE5 for $60.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By SlowHands
    Kush said:
    "I didn't enjoy the demo at all...even tried out the co-op with MB and even that wasn't much fun. This demo has only confirmed that I won't be buying RE5 for $60."
    I agree.  This just felt a bit too clumsy.  I know horror games need a bit of general panic and the controls are an easy way to do this, bu this just felt like too much.
    ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ShadowKiller

After a long time of waiting still can't download it... curse you child account!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike
    Kush said:
    "I didn't enjoy the demo at all...even tried out the co-op with MB and even that wasn't much fun. This demo has only confirmed that I won't be buying RE5 for $60."

Can't disagree with you there, man.  I may rent RE5 at some point in the future, though.  $60?  No way.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cheapoz

Couldn't read the OP, got destroyed by the WALL OF TEXT.

Here's my impressions.

- Looks awesome, sounds terrible. RE4 impressions are immediate since the menu sounds are EXACTLY the same. Sound of bullets going into people is the one same squishy 'i-stood-on-a-grape' noise every time. Horrid, that needs to change.

- Controls are wow. RE5 is my most anticipated game of the year, playing the demo for 2 minutes I immediately couldn't believe they were the same controls I'd beaten RE4 around 5 times with. Seems antiquated and slow, and I've been defending them for so long! 

- Gears 1/2 impressions are undeniable. Every time I went to run in RE5, I was expecting the low down, shaky camera, the resulting still camera angle and light trundle of your character is kinda jarring. But fine nonetheless, just take some getting used too.

- I've been playing Gears 2 since launch, however, Sheva getting chainsawed (through my lack of management of the situation) is the most shocking thing I've seen in a game. My heart pounded and I put down the controller. My eyes watered a little through shock. AWESOMELY VISCERAL.

Can't wait for March.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's out? I'll download it right now.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cheapoz

I'm holding out hope it's a lame demo for a brilliant game. 

I think the 2 locations are really bad and a lack of ammo hurts the enjoyment factor. Horror and shock needs to be scaled up, not just dropped in the middle of.

Don't give up hope!
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kratos81

I was not impressed with the demo at all. The controls are to outdated. I was a huge re4 fan but after playing games like re4 wii edition, gears, mgs4, etc... The bar has been raised. Not being able to shoot while moving is just dumb, the guy still feels like a tank, I know you could move and shoot in re4wii edition but at least the aiming was good. Now you have to change guns in real time, not that bad in the demo but for the real game I could see it being a problem. I was expecting better.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By destro

Yeah i didnt really like the levels they had, but i enjoyed playing none the less. The controls seemed fine to me and the fact that you cant shoot and move at the same time doesnt make sense but it gives it a bit more intensity (plus you couldnt do it in RE4 so i dont see what the big deal is) I think you guys just might be a little to picky with your video games.  Give it a chance, make some adjustments and enjoy the damn game

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lozz

Well in a kind of update I played with my friend and is was not that fun. The AI was better than him and us both running out of ammo constantly got really annoying. We both decided that we should just go back to Gears. It seems the demo was less about the horror, in my opinion the FEAR 2 demo was scarier. It was basically just survival with clunky controls now that I've sat and thought about it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By keyhunter

Survival Horror, retards. You're supposed to run out of ammo constantly and fumble with bad controls.

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dtran1212

well, if this game happens to suck, atleast i know there's another awesome survival horror game out there *cough* DEAD SPACE!!!!!!

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By clubsandwich

I have had this since december, go me. :D

on topic, I fucking loved it, can't wait. :D

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kratos81
    keyhunter said:
    "Survival Horror, retards. You're supposed to run out of ammo constantly and fumble with bad controls."
    Lmao, a survival horror game does not have to have clunky controls to be survival horror. I guess dead space wasnt survival horror? Yes it was, and it got rid of that stereo type that  a survival horror game had to have bad controls. I guess you can keep living in the past. I like my games to evolve.  
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Kratos81 said:
    "keyhunter said:
    "Survival Horror, retards. You're supposed to run out of ammo constantly and fumble with bad controls."
    Lmao, a survival horror game does not have to have clunky controls to be survival horror. I guess dead space wasnt survival horror? Yes it was, and it got rid of that stereo type that  a survival horror game had to have bad controls. I guess you can keep living in the past. I like my games to evolve.  "
    They're about on par with difficulty in controls.  Neither is bad, but you just cant turn around instantly and shoot someone.
    in both cases i just takes a little but to get use to
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
    Cheapoz said:
    "Couldn't read the OP, got destroyed by the WALL OF TEXT."
    So...you posted your OWN wall of text?  Right, cause THAT makes sense!!!
    Either way, I'll DL the demo sometime tonight or tomorrow, but with my rep grinding for my Albino Drake taking about half of my free time, and other stuff taking the other half, I need to get at least another half to find in order to get some time in with it.

If that made sense to you, GREAT JARB!
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zitosilva
    keyhunter said:
    But this hasn't really happened in a while. Though the quality of the contol is debatable, you never ran out of ammunition in RE4 or Dead Space.

Wow, it's almost an unanimous opinion that it isn't good. I was already disappointed when they said that it would no longer be the last entry in the series. Now it's not scary anymore and the controls are dated? That sounds bad. I'll wait until it appears on PSN to see what I think.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Whisperkill

It feels, unadvanced, i dont really get the controls, i feel like ill pass

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By destro

Haha yeah the reason you probably run out of ammo is because your supposed to CONSERVE it and use it wisely. This isnt a FPS where you just spray and kill everyone and get more ammo. Having limited ammo just means you have to be smarter and more strategic, plus it makes the game more realistic. What you should be doing is shooting enemys in the face/knee to stun them and then run up and attack with X with a punch to the face. Then knife them once there on the ground...saves tons of ammo

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422
    Kush said:
    I thought it was alright, but I was in no way planning at all to buy this game, that's for sure. It, just every single console game I can think of that I'm looking forward to at least trying this year, will just be gameflied by me.

The only positive I can say, is I believe(very sure of this) its still a very dated demo and not at all recently updated, you should be able to strafe side to side when aiming with the full version of the game. I dunno about any other minor changes if any besides that, but figure I'll throw that out there. Unless that was changed.
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gearhead

Man I loved RE4, but this game just felt old, and outdated. Gears, and Dead Space showed how to update a 3rd Person action game, but Capcom just seemed to ignore it, and just used the RE4 controls with RE5 graphics. The controls were the worst part of this demo. Will not be buying this.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

That's what I think it really comes down to, is Dead Space did this so much superior to RE5. The Co-op is the only thing for me this game is going to be worth a rent for, but that's it really. I think Dead Space so far did the best third person shooting I've done so far, and that was the same type of game as this, and it just makes this game look so dated. The retarded trolls can keep coming in here saying "its supposed to feel outdated" and all this shit, but after they changed from their original style to RE4, that goes down to drain so don't even start with that bullshit.

As I said though, the game was never gonna get my purchase from the start, so whatever.

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By lvl10Wizard
    dtran1212 said:
    "well, if this game happens to suck, atleast i know there's another awesome survival horror game out there *cough* DEAD SPACE!!!!!!"

I'm so glad I'm not alone here. I've just been playing the RE5 demo whilst partied up with some friends who are basically creaming their pants over it. I on the other hand have been the minority voice saying that the game sucks and that everyone should go and play Dead Space. The controls, presentation and atmosphere are all vastly superior in Dead Space, a game which manages to advance the genre where as RE5 feels outmoded, outdated and frankly just boring. Why can't I aim a gun and move my feet at the same time? If I was fighting infected crazies I'd be moving a lot faster than the lumpen morons I get to play as in RE5. You can cry old school defenses until your blue in the face but please, play Dead Space first and then fire up RE5 demo and voila: point proven.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fosssil

I'd just like to remind everyone who is already passing judgment on the final game based on this demo that the Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts demo sucked too, yet that game turned out to be fantastic.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I'll give this game a shot

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By granderojo

well considering I was thinking about not picking this up tell it got cheaper, and now I have invested into Street Fighter4, fuck Resident Evil, I hope that franchise comes back when they learn you can move while shooting, it's call strafing.

Fuck lightgun games, people only pretend to like those because nostalgia, fuck that, come back RE when you got a half descent control mechanic.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sushbag

So it's as I feared? RE4 but with a totally unmemorable, unscary setting and a really annoying AI-controlled partner?

Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Boyling

I wasn't impressed at all by the demo. Tried it in splitscreen coop with a coworker and we both were pretty turned off by it.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kratos81
    Claude said:
    "

Damn, maybe they should have worked on the RE 4 engine and made a game for the Wii. I liked RE 4 on the Wii better than the GameCube/ Playstation 2 console version. I'm having second thoughts about this game now.

"
    I agree with that, I would give up shiny graphics for the superior aiming on the wii. I beat re4 wii last year, so aimimg in re5 demo sucked to what I was used to. I can aim fine in gears and deadspace with the analog stick but for some reason re4/5 I have a problem aiming sometimes. Usually when you have to aim quickly. 
    rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rerty

The demo is a chunk of the finished product so don't hope it's going to get much better. Anyway its a piece of shit ,but it will sell well because its a mainstream game.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By jhosaphat
    rerty said:
    "The demo is a chunk of the finished product so don't hope it's going to get much better. Anyway its a piece of shit ,but it will sell well because its a mainstream game."
    I wouldn't say it's a mainstream game, more like a popular game for the hardcore crowd.
    rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rerty

by mainstream I mean its a recognizable name (which creates sales) even for the non-gaming crowd... it has movies and 4 games preceding it. Ninja Gaiden is a popular game for the hardcore crowd ,but nobody outside the gaming community has heard of it. Anyway hopefully this franchise dies soon, these game mechanics should have died with the last generation of consoles.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By RHCPfan24

I was disappointed, though I would probably still buy it anyway because I love RE4 so much.  I hate to see barely anything evolve, but here's to hoping that the real game is better *cringes*

After all, I hated the Dead Space demo and loved the real game so let us hope it is a situation like that right?

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RandomHero666

I made the mistake of not reading the controls, and playing online co op b4 i trained offline.. so yea, i ran out of ammo very quickly.. like, before the guys even got near the building, and later, half killed myself and a few "zombies" with a grenade.
    Guy who was playin with me was cool though, he gave me ammo, and i gave him 3rd degree burns

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't like the fact that you need to help out Sheva...

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kratos81

I take back some of what I said before. I still dont like that I cant move while shooting {at least backwards}, but after playing trough a few more times, I really like the game. After a while I forgot about moving and shooting. I just hope its as much fun story gameplay wise as re4. I even liked collecting treasure and combining them to make them worth more in re4. I hope they dont lose that. I will buy this on release day.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Systech

I really wasn't into it at all. The controls felt really sloppy and there was nothing compelling about the motives and gameplay.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By BawlZINmotion

It looks really good in places and not so hot in others. However after playing Dead Space, this just feels "clumsy". Piss poor handling is a cheap/quick/easy way to say your game creates atomsphere, but there are plenty of titles out there which manage to have a smooth control scheme and retain the desired atmosphere. I'll still drop a rental on it though.

GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GmLx
    AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By AutomaticSnake

I'm a big fan of the old RE games and after i played the 360 demo and i can only say one thing... it's shit.

Horrible Gameplay
    Terrible AI
    Psychics? Same as RE4 on PS2 lol
    Mindless non stop shooting of black guys, with a few asian looking dudes that make you ask what are they doing in africa?
    0% survival horror

That only good thing are the graphics.

smokepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By smokepants

RE5 forces the player to make the light tactical choice between offense (shooting) and defense (hauling ass). Do you pop off that last shot that might drop the guy who's about to chainsaw you or do you get the Hell out of the way? It's a unique "fight or flight" mechanic that just plain works.

Take away that and what's left? Dead Space? I'm sorry, but the combat in Dead space is soulless and bland. You're just dumbly skating around rooms slicing apart... things. 'Hmm, do I arbitrarily cut off this limb or that limb?' 'Do I back up and shoot at this guy or back up and shoot at that guy?' Enthralling.

I'm no RE fanboy. I wipe my ass with the story. I don't care about preserving mechanics just for the sake of tradition. I'm defending the RE4/5 gameplay because it's worth defending. For those of us with an open mind, we're probably going to have a lot of fun with RE5, as RE4 is one of the greatest action games of all time. Dead Space isn't even a blip on the action radar.

I do have gripes. The knife/machete mechanic could have used an overhaul. Some of the button mapping could have been better. The AI partner might prove problematic. But the shooting, I will embrace and enjoy. It's not antiquated, it's just different. And there's a good reason why.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.