Resident Evil 5 (PC) - Should i get it ?

#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
ive never played a RE game before, im thinking about getting the PC version of this but i kept hearing critisizm of it being an eye-candy game and what not.

should i get it?
#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Yes if you don't have a 360 or PS3.

#4 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Yes if you don't have a 360 or PS3. "
I agree.

But 'no' if you already played it / own it on 360 or PS3.
#5 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

You can't shoot while walking.

I say no.

#6 Posted by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

If it turns out to be a good port, then yes you should probably get it. However, if RE4 PC were any indication, the chances of a decent RE5 PC port isn't a guarantee at this point.

#7 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

You could always get RE4 PC to test the waters, though you'd have to mod your game to get it up to working condition.

#8 Posted by cdfishman (259 posts) -

it's a fun ride, and worth it for a decent price.

like the the best damn biological weapon action movie you have ever seen.

on acid!

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@spazmaster666 said:
" If it turns out to be a good port, then yes you should probably get it. However, if RE4 PC were any indication, the chances of a decent RE5 PC port isn't a guarantee at this point. "

@Bigandtasty said:
" You could always get RE4 PC to test the waters, though you'd have to mod your game to get it up to working condition. "

The dude at gamespot said the re5 port is definitely better than the re4 one.
#10 Posted by Rumple (1 posts) -

Based on you saying you've never played an RE game before I'd say no.  Reason being is you should start from the beginning and experience RE for what it started out as and then move into what it has molded into.  I love RE5..heck I love all the RE games, but for a someone to start at RE5 to me is not advised.    
 
Delta_ass - not shooting while moving sucks the big one.  I noticed that right away

#11 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

First off, don't even bother playing the utter shite that is RE4 PC, I cannot believe anyone on this site could recommend that you play such a terrible game. *begs belief*
 
I would play RE4 beforehand. In order of preference, Wii, Gamecube, PS2. The PC version is utter shite made by SourceNext, RE5 PC though is made in house at Capcom's PC division.  You should get the PC version of RE5, Capcom are going to make it  the definitive version as they did with SF4 on PC.
 
Get the other RE games on whatever platform you can. The Gamecube has some of the best versions, including the great REmake of the original .

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
You should get the PC version of RE5, Capcom are going to make it  the definitive version as they did with SF4 on PC.
Ugh, graphics alone does not make a definitive version.  SF4 is better on consoles, bigger / better community, level playing field, no cheats possible.
#13 Posted by pause422 (6179 posts) -

No.

#14 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
You should get the PC version of RE5, Capcom are going to make it  the definitive version as they did with SF4 on PC.
Ugh, graphics alone does not make a definitive version.  SF4 is better on consoles, bigger / better community, level playing field, no cheats possible. "
 
Err.. where was there any mention of graphics by me?, I am referring to the improved controls and gameplay modes Capcom have already mentioned, as well as twice the NPC count .
#15 Edited by BassmanPaul (67 posts) -

I think this game can stand on its own without the need to be interested in the series. Its a great action game that will keep you entertained for a good number of playthroughs, with plenty of replay value in my opinion. Also, its compatible with games for windows if your into achievements on the PC. Also I hear you can play the game in 3D...

#16 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @Diamond said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
You should get the PC version of RE5, Capcom are going to make it  the definitive version as they did with SF4 on PC.
Ugh, graphics alone does not make a definitive version.  SF4 is better on consoles, bigger / better community, level playing field, no cheats possible. "
 Err.. where was there any mention of graphics by me?, I am referring to the improved controls and gameplay modes Capcom have already mentioned, as well as twice the NPC count . "
You mentioned SF4, which doesn't have improved controls and gameplay.  Only slightly better graphics through higher resolution or AA/AF.  Frankly I get irritated when people call a version of the game the 'definitive version' for such stupid reasons.
 
What extra gameplay modes will RE5 on PC have?  Think it's just a potential double enemy count in Mercs mode.
#17 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

The peeps on Shoryuken and even Capcom themselves have called it the definitive version, if you think differently and you don't even have the game, whatever dude.. 
 
You forget to mention the fact all controllers work with the PC version. 
 

Capcom V.P. Christian Svensson hit the Unity Boards recently to comment on the PC version of Street Fighter 4. Here are his thoughts.

PC Gamer Magazine gave Street Fighter IV on the PC a 92/100 and said it has better graphics, better resolution than the other versions and exclusive graphic effects. Plus all of the PS3 / Xbox 360 Fight Pads/Sticks also work on the PC.

Sven: The PC version is the best of the lot on the right hardware (for all of the reasons you'd called out above). I hope that PC enthusiasts take a shine to it and support it. It deserves it.

#18 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" The peeps on Shgoryuken and even capcom themselves have called it the definitive version, if you think differently and you don't even have the game, whatever dude.. "
Right.  And you don't even own a 360 or PS3 right?
#19 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

If your PC can run it and you don't already have it, sure.  Otherwise, buy it for your console of choice.

#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@zyn said:
" If your PC can run it and you don't already have it, sure.  Otherwise, buy it for your console of choice. "
i only have PC, and its a beast ;]  gonna upgrade it soon, too ! 
#21 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Why would you think that :?, I own all the consoles and a top spec PC : /

#22 Posted by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" The peeps on Shgoryuken and even capcom themselves have called it the definitive version, if you think differently and you don't even have the game, whatever dude.. "
Right.  And you don't even own a 360 or PS3 right? "
How is it not the definitive version exactly? Pretty much every stick that was made to work with SFIV will work on the PC version, there are extra graphics filters, it is easy to mod it to get rid of that awful song, much easier to record matches, and so on. I see absolutely no advantage to the console versions.
#23 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:
How is it not the definitive version exactly? Pretty much every stick that was made to work with SFIV will work on the PC version, there are extra graphics filters, it is easy to mod it to get rid of that awful song, much easier to record matches, and so on. I see absolutely no advantage to the console versions. "
The community.  How many times do I have to say it.  You're going to be playing with people that may not get a steady 60fps.  There will be less people to play against.  Ultimately there is no protection against online macro use or other cheating.  For those reasons the console versions blow the PC version away.
 
I don't know about you, but I play games for gameplay, not for graphics.
#24 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@spazmaster666 said:

" If it turns out to be a good port, then yes you should probably get it. However, if RE4 PC were any indication, the chances of a decent RE5 PC port isn't a guarantee at this point. "

@Bigandtasty said:

" You could always get RE4 PC to test the waters, though you'd have to mod your game to get it up to working condition. "

Alot of people make the Mistake of not realizing Capcom had NOTHING to do with RE4 on PC other than owning the property. Ubisoft got a license deal from Capcom to Distribute DMC3, Onimusha 3 and RE4 on PC, but they didn't have anything to do with developing it either (crazy i know!). Instead, they hired a unknown 3rd party to port the games, and wouldn't you know it...they were pretty shit ports.
 
All the Current Gen Capcom games so far (bionic commando was GRIN) were ported by their dedicated PC team however, and are pretty good ports (DMC4, Lost Planet, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5).
 
@Diamond said:
" @CoverlessTech said:
How is it not the definitive version exactly? Pretty much every stick that was made to work with SFIV will work on the PC version, there are extra graphics filters, it is easy to mod it to get rid of that awful song, much easier to record matches, and so on. I see absolutely no advantage to the console versions. "
The community.  How many times do I have to say it.  You're going to be playing with people that may not get a steady 60fps.  There will be less people to play against.  Ultimately there is no protection against online macro use or other cheating.  For those reasons the console versions blow the PC version away.  I don't know about you, but I play games for gameplay, not for graphics. "

I've played the PC version for online for quite a bit (over 1000 matches), and all i've seen are laggers and disconnecters...something i think the console versions also suffer from?
#25 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -
@L33tfella_H: Nah, I knew that. I was just telling him that he would have to mod RE4 PC if he wanted it to be playable.
#26 Edited by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -
@Diamond said:

" @CoverlessTech said:

How is it not the definitive version exactly? Pretty much every stick that was made to work with SFIV will work on the PC version, there are extra graphics filters, it is easy to mod it to get rid of that awful song, much easier to record matches, and so on. I see absolutely no advantage to the console versions. "
The community.  How many times do I have to say it.  You're going to be playing with people that may not get a steady 60fps.  There will be less people to play against.  Ultimately there is no protection against online macro use or other cheating.  For those reasons the console versions blow the PC version away.  I don't know about you, but I play games for gameplay, not for graphics. "
Community? Have you ever been part of a fighting game community? Most people would say playing online is for chumps. That non withstanding:
 
Playing against people who don't have 60fps? How about playing against people who don't have their NAT type open and lag like fuck? I don't care if they don't have 60fps because I still do but if THEY lag it affects ME as well. This exist on all versions but with PC I have greater control over the networks I connect to making sure I get the optimal matches every time.
 
Less people to play against? There are tons of people to play against on all versions. So many so that you will probably not play the same person twice anyways so I can't see how that matters one bit. And before you say it console games die off way faster then PC games.
 
I could easily mod my stick with an extra button that preforms any macro I want so that is BS as well. And as for actual cheats of course there is protection, have you even ever played an online PC game before? There are always protection programs to catch cheaters. There have been cheaters on console games as well, L4D(360) and more recently CoD4(PS3). So again, BS.
 
PC offers a much better place for a community anyways. Like I said anyone with a stick for any of the current systems can play together, so if I own a 360 stick and you own a PS3 stick we can't have much a community together can we? Of course we can, on PC.
 
Gameplay is the same on all versions so I don't know what the hell you're alluding to with that statement.
#27 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@Bigandtasty: mmmh...true, That Official Community Pack 1.0 or whatever....it DOES make that game  look and play Niiiice.
#28 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @zyn said:
" If your PC can run it and you don't already have it, sure.  Otherwise, buy it for your console of choice. "
i only have PC, and its a beast ;]  gonna upgrade it soon, too !  "
Nice.  Then you should definately get it for the PC!  RE5 is a great game!
#29 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:
Playing against people who don't have 60fps? How about playing against people who don't have their NAT type open and lag like fuck? I don't care if they don't have 60fps because I still do but if THEY lag it affects ME as well.
Sorry, but SF4 PC will slow down YOUR game as well as theirs if they're dropping frames. 

@CoverlessTech said:
And before you say it console games die off way faster then PC games.
Baseless.  It's just the smash hits like Counter Strike on PC hang on much longer.
 
@CoverlessTech said:
I could easily mod my stick with an extra button that preforms any macro I want so that is BS as well.
I'd like to see you do it on a 360?
 
@CoverlessTech said:
And as for actual cheats of course there is protection, have you even ever played an online PC game before? There are always protection programs to catch cheaters.
Please, don't make me laugh.  Cheat protection is a joke.  Are you unaware of the aimbots and wallhacks available for every single game?  The state of Battlefield 2 prior to this upcoming patch?  It's nothing like the exploiting of glitches in the rare cases a console game has em.
 
@CoverlessTech said:
Gameplay is the same on all versions so I don't know what the hell you're alluding to with that statement. "
You can choose to deny it if you like.  Just don't go around saying BS like the PC version of SF4 is the best.
#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@zyn said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @zyn said:
" If your PC can run it and you don't already have it, sure.  Otherwise, buy it for your console of choice. "
i only have PC, and its a beast ;]  gonna upgrade it soon, too !  "
Nice.  Then you should definately get it for the PC!  RE5 is a great game! "
thanks for the tip !
#31 Edited by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -
@Diamond said:

Baseless.  It's just the smash hits like Counter Strike on PC hang on much longer.
 
I'd like to see you do it on a 360?
 
You can choose to deny it if you like.  Just don't go around saying BS like the PC version of SF4 is the best. "

You think CS is the only lasting PC game? Even so name me a console game as old as CS that has a community as large as CS? Star Craft? Warcraft? It may be "just the smash hits" but it is still not "baseless", it's fact, and if SFIV doesn't last as long as CS you can be sure it will die off on all platforms, not just PC. And if SFIV lasts then it has a much better chance of lasting on PC, where you are not depending on Microsoft's and Sony's servers.
 
Didn't I just say I could do it? A button connected to a chip that activates a series of button presses is nothing. Hell you can buy pre-built sticks that have programmable macros. Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't mean it's not doable.
 
Deny what? That the PC version is better? News flash, it is. I said the PC version has support for every stick and better visuals, thus making it the definitive version. You honestly think having a few thousand extra noobs on Live, people that you will never meet or play against, makes a better version? Stop kidding yourself.
 
 If you where to hold a tournament what platform you would pick for SFIV? Picking anything but PC is stupid. You are dividing the interest base if you pick a console.
 
Anyways this is off topic and a waste of time, keep believing whatever you want, ignorance is bliss after all.
#32 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

God, PC fanboys being asses, declaring opinion = fact, unwilling to debate rationally on a forum.  What else is new?

#33 Edited by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -

 @Diamond:  Way to bait, but I'll bite.
 
Opinion = fact? The things I stated that made the PC version better are:
 
1) Stick compatibility. FACT
2) Graphics filters, higher resolutions. FACT
 
You think they are opinions? So it's my opinion that SFIV PC is compatible with both 360 and PS3 and hell any USB stick? It's my opinion that PC offers more filters and higher resolution?
 
You stated the console versions where better because of more random noobs playing online. Some people like quality over quantity, preferring quantity is OPINION, not fact.
 
What grad are you in? Do you even know the difference between opinion and fact?
 
I have debated you rationally in 2 long, detailed, post and you just replied by picking a choosing certain lines that you can dispute out of context and you have not answered even one of my questions. 
 
Get your head out of your ass.

#34 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

^__^  +1
 
 

@CoverlessTech


"  @Diamond:  Way to bait, but I'll bite. Opinion = fact? The things I stated that made the PC version better are:  1) Stick compatibility. FACT2) Graphics filters, higher resolutions. FACT  You think they are opinions? So it's my opinion that SFIV PC is compatible with both 360 and PS3 and hell any USB stick? It's my opinion that PC offers more filters and higher resolution?  You stated the console versions where better because of more random noobs playing online. Some people like quality over quantity, preferring quantity is OPINION, not fact. What grad are you in? Do you even know the difference between opinion and fact?  I have debated you rationally in 2 long, detailed, post and you just replied by picking a choosing certain lines that you can dispute out of context and you have not answered even one of my questions.   Get your head out of your ass. "

 
 
He called me a PC fanboy earlier in a unsolicited PM, for simply stating an opinion that many fellow Street fighter fans have. Really mate, I wouldn't bother wasting my time on him, he clearly fails to realise this has nothing at all to do with a love of PC gaming, and everything to do with Capcom PC division, who clearly wish to show what Capcom are capable of with less restrictions. 
 

10/10  9/10
#35 Posted by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: Amen.
 
 
#36 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Definately if you haven't played it or don't have any consoles it's on. It's a great game and shouldn't be missed.
#37 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
He called me a PC fanboy earlier in a unsolicited PM, for simply stating an opinion that many fellow Street fighter fans have. Really mate, I wouldn't bother wasting my time on him, he clearly fails to realise this has nothing at all to do with a love of PC gaming, and everything to do with Capcom PC division, who clearly wish to show what Capcom are capable of with less restrictions. 
No such thing as an unsolicited PM.  You asked me why I thought you didn't own a 360 and PS3, and I responded in a PM instead of shitting up this thread.  Last I checked the mods said it was against forum rules to talk about PMs on the forums, and I will be flagging your post.
#38 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Oh great, thanks!, your a Diamond geezer lol.
 
Yours sincerely,
 
Linkyshinks 
 
(who has never been a member of NeoGaf :)

#39 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

RE4 was a better game, but it's worth getting I guess...

#40 Posted by joey (983 posts) -

 

#41 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It does look way better than the console version. I think an individual would disagree, however I can prove it. I think you should get it and I heard this game will use up to 8 cores if you have that much. Also you can download the pc benchmark tool if you have a nice lcd monitor for higher resolutions. It really looks fantastic and I would have to buy this game again for pc. I always buy games twice, one on the ps3, then one on the pc for the extra texture detail, it's getting expensive.
 
To the video above, only 720p? also they don't know anything about the pc? anti aliasing or anything like that? or how to use the V key? Wow.

#42 Posted by punkxblaze (2971 posts) -

Since no one's brought this up yet, I'd like to make the point of saying the PC version is not a 'port'. As someone somewhat mentioned earlier, almost all major current Capcom games (Lost planet, DMC4, RE5, etc.) are built natively on the PC on the MT Framework engine, and then moved over to the two major consoles. This, in effect, makes the PC version the original.
 
This means that the RE4 PC port is not an indicator at all as far as quality goes. If you have a computer that can handle it, then yes, I suggest getting the PC version. If you don't, get the console version. Simple.

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I plan to. I tried it on the 360 and hated the shit out of that thing. Aiming with a controller is always a nightmare, but that game just made it worse because getting good quick shots all the time was important. Now that you can actually hit what you aim at the game looks fun. And this is coming from someone who has never played a RE game for more then an hour or two. Cant wait to see this in action.

#44 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I've been playing alot of this game on the pc now. The aim with the mouse adressed the problem I had aiming with the controller, which still works. However I find this aiming to be alot more accurate to the point where I don't have any complaints. I like how you can set items to your number configurations, like on the top left slot for items, you press 1, second slot to the top you press 2 and you can get to your weapons quicker that way. Moving left to right is sort of slow if you are moving foward, stop then turn with the mouse to look, it takes time getting used to it. To slash at an item just press T, you don't have to press any sort of triggers then slash. The game runs perfectly, I have no problems with the framerates at all, having the ps3 version which was blurry and dull for textures, which is provable compared to the xbox360 version, I find the pc version to be flawless. You can see every detail and everything is high rez, the game looks totally sharp at 1680X1050 resolution. Yes you should buy it on the pc because of these improvements.

#45 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

I bought it a few days ago...GET IT!!!! Playing on a 1920x1080 monitor maxed out makes it look sexy as hell. The pc controls are a lot better than I thought they would be especially with an aiming reticule, you will be popping off headshots left and right. As HitmanAgent47 said there is a quick select option with your number keys 1-9, so instead of pulling up your inventory, you have quick access to everything you have. Everything just seems a little more streamlined in terms of controls. If you don't want to use pc controls the 360 controller works just as you would think it would. I am about halfway through the game, and once again Capcom makes me happy that I own a pc with this high quality version of RE5. Hi-res textures, smooth gameplay, great controls, and just an awesome game all around really makes it worth picking up if you never played the 360/PS3 options.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.