Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Resident Evil, not Gears of War

Avatar image for colonel0crunkenstein
    Colonel0Crunkenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hi all!  I just wanted to throw down some thoughts of people who think Resident Evil 5 should be more like Gears of War.  Although i've never heard anyone come out and say it directly, most gaming sites complain that you need to be able to take cover, and move while shooting.  I however think that these gameplay mechanics are completely unnecessary and that you should be able to play the game just fine without them.  The Resident Evil franchise has always been different from other ones, and I think it should stay unique.  Anyway, here is how I feel about these comparisons, and this is an excerpt from a blog I wrote on my profile this morning.

With E3 previews up everywhere, people seem to be mistaking it for the wrong game.  People seem to be mistaking it for Gears of War.  From what I've read, people are complaining about the control scheme and gameplay mechanics.   First off, people seem to want to be able to move and shoot.  Personally, I don't think you have to or would want to.  In real life are you going to circle strafe around a group of not-zombies with an AK.  You might, but you also probably wont hit much and not have a lot of ammo left.  You're supposed to take accurate shots at your enemies so that you don't waste ammo.  If things get overwhelming, you're supposed to exit your aiming mode and run like hell.  I've heard people saying that they want a cover system.  Why?   Are you a chicken wuss?  The enemies hardly shoot back.  They shoot crossbows and throw sickles at most.  You can move slightly to your left, run away, or shoot the projectiles down.  It's really that easy.

I hope they don't change anything about Resident Evil 5.  The control scheme and the constant horde of enemies can overwhelm you and cause panic, and that's just awesome.  The things mentioned above are in Gears of War.  That game is a tactical shooter in which you need those mechanics.  Resident Evil 5 is an Action Survival Horror game about conserving ammo and health.  You do not need to have it play like Gears of War.  It's not necessary to run circles around your enemy and hide from them behind cover.  You would completely overpower them and that sort of takes the fun out of the game.  If you want to take cover, and have tactical situations, then Gears of War 2 looks like its going to be an excellent game.  I'm tired of people complaining about Resident Evil 5 not stealing the ideas from Gears.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I hope they do. RE4 was so slow and lame because of the controls (IMO)

Right now, RE5 looks unimpressive and a little bit too much like RE4 in terms of THE EXACT SAME engine

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By HairyMike87

I think that making the gameplay similar to gears would take away from the experience. Staying still while shooting at a pack of "infected" while they try to surround you is a thrill. I think that if they made it into a much faster action game, it wouldn't be as scary.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Its not really a thrill more fustrating

Colonel0Crunkenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had absolutely no frustration with RE4 at all.  You just have to be smart about where you move and what you shoot at.  Also you probably played Gears before you played RE4.  I thought that the RE4 mechanics worked perfectly fine.  Running circles around your enemies would take the challenge away completely.  And in real life are you really going to be dead accurate with a pistol on the move? Odds are if you're running circles around something, you're probably not going to hit much.

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DrLove

some movement while shooting would be great.. not as much as Gears..  and no need for a cover system... its way too late in development to tag one on...  but it is 2008 ppl want to move and shoot at the same time

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By deskp

i want the choice to move while shooting,,, would make the game more fun for people that hasnt fallowed the series,,,, like me!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

RE 5 should be...good. That's my only concern, really.

Colonel0Crunkenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only movement I would want while shooting is walking like in Outbreak 2.  I guess it would make lining up shots a tad easier.

Errorsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Errorsol

Just because they will give an option for improved controls, doesn't mean that the game will play like Gears of War.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By somesthetic

cover is unnecessary because the enemies don't have guns, but the drawn weapon controls of GeoW are certainly better.

MGS4 totally co-opted GeoW's controls, and it's far better for it.

elektrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#12  Edited By elektrixx

Tank controls for an actual person is frustrating for me. It annoys me that I myself can function better than the robot I'm controlling in Resident Evil.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

There's a certain learning curve with Resident Evil 4. The aiming, shooting and movement is frustrating as hell for the first hour or so and I'm sure, definitely discouraged some people from playing it all the way through. I think they should definitely change the movements for Chris because if they don't the game will play EXACTLY like Resident Evil 4. I mean, we already have that game. It's time to evolve. I'm not saying they need a cover system or movement while shooting, but they need to tweak and maybe even alter a bit of the controls to evolve them properly. I also understand that the lack of certain movement gave the game an incredibly scary, tense and adrenaline-pumping feeling, but it has to evolve a bit while still hopefully keeping that cinematic yet scary atmosphere.

Haha, but now that I think about it, I would absolutely love to be faced with that first overwhelming horde in Resident Evil 5 and just say, "oh shit, here we go again!"

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422
    • It wouldn't retain that horror if you could take cover or move around while shooting,and obviously as a RE game,they still want some of that in there. However  Jun Takeuchi has stated that the game could possibly have some gameplay changes before release,so its anyones guess if this is for sure the final product.-off topic but,if you want a game like Re5 with moving while shooting,check out the upcoming Dead Space,it looks like a very promising game,and has other ways of keeping the horror while allowing you some movement.
    tzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tzen

"Scary" went right out the window with RE4. While I do not think RE5 needs the movement or cover mechanics of GoW, SOME movement while aiming/firing would just make the game a lot more fluid and natural. Go watch a video of Dead Space's gameplay. In that game, you can WALK SLOWLY while you're aiming/firing. It's nothing drastic enough to ruin the pacing and feel of RE5, but it looks a lot more logical and smooth.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By epic_pets

I completly agree, let it be like it is

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarkLegend

RE5 should allow players to run and shoot at the same time.

RabbitKarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RabbitKarrot

RE5 shouldnt be like Gears of War, it really shouldnt... Im a GoW fan, but i dont think that style of gameplay suits RE at all.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Homer

Yeah the GoW style really doesn't fit RE

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Lazlow

I dunno. Having played and accepted all the different control schemes in the old PS games, GC remakes and even the sloppy outbreak PS2 controls I'm still very much willing to accept another control change. To me it's because RE is just becoming more of an action oriented series and the RE4 control scheme (whilst a movement in the right direction) was not totally beneficial for the new direction I think they are trying to take the series. In the end I think these controls fit perfectly because RE is simply not striving to be a horror game as much anymore. If they want to make it more action based then more power to them. I'm a huge RE fan so I'm still buying it, though I do miss the horror of the classic, claustrophobic environments, tank controls and horrible aiming and real zombies.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

Well this isn't a debate anymore...if you listened to the recent bombcast , the lead producer on RE5 said it would now hav "Gears like controls" so how far they'll go with those controls we'll see, but thats been confirmed now, so regardless of if anyone is against it, you're stuck with it now.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Demilich

The controls in RE4 were fine. I don't want RE5 turning into a Gears clone or some sort of allout action game.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By danielkempster

I'm currently playing through RE4 for the fist time and really enjoying it. At first I wasn't a fan of the control system (one analog stick movement just didn't feel natural), but I've put that down to the amount of FPS I've been playing lately and after a couple of hours the controls were no longer an issue. Like a lot of people in this thread have already expressed, being able to walk while aiming would probably be beneficial, but running-and-gunning would wreck the feel the game is aiming for. As far as a cover system goes, why the hell would RE5 need one? Ganados don't have guns!

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By calf_exercises

I think change is usually good, Im glad to see they are going to modernise the controlls but hopefully not just clone gears. If they keep a unique style but are still practicle I will be happy

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lemegeton

i am so stick of the copy-cat nature of this industry sometimes. 1 game does a new mechanic really well and suddenly it becomes standard. Gears of Wear had an excellent cover mechanic and at the time it stood out but now every bloody 3rd person shooter has to have some sort of cover system. I DO NOT WANT A FUCKING COVER SYSTEM IN RE:5.
    i mean look at bullet time for fuck sake. Max Payne did it and it was fun but look at how many games over the past few years have used some form of bullet time and most of the time it was implemented poorly. The Cover system is going to be exactly like that, developers will put it in cos they think "thats what the people want". BULLSHIT. with Gears and now Gears 2 and the likes of Uncharted, its been done and been done well enough that it cant be done any better so do something new, come up with a new mechanic.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lemegeton
    Cribba said:
    "Lemegeton said:
    "i am so stick of the copy-cat nature of this industry sometimes. 1 game does a new mechanic really well and suddenly it becomes standard. Gears of Wear had an excellent cover mechanic and at the time it stood out but now every bloody 3rd person shooter has to have some sort of cover system. I DO NOT WANT A FUCKING COVER SYSTEM IN RE:5. 
    From what I've heard they're not implementing the cover mechanic in RE5, it would be useless since the enemies primarily consist of melee dudes. They're just using L2 to aim / R2 to shoot instead of R1 to aim / Square to shoot, and I'm guessing being able to walk while aiming.

It's not a huge difference but it makes alot of sense, I mean it's like Jeff said, if the limited controls is what the game offers as its fear effect, maybe it's time for some new ideas."
    well this is where i read about a cover mechanic in the game

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=142660
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'd like to have some movement while shooting. but really slowly. In real life you would probably shoot while slowly moving backwards or to the side to get a better shot at some enemies, and unless you're a really crap shot, that shouldn't impair your shooting skills.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By clubsandwich

I completely agree with you TC, it's because of all the RE noobs that this is now becoming more like Gears of War.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.