Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

The Giant Bomb review is just dead wrong about Sheva.

• 83 results
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Randolph

She is not "mostly ok" or even decent, or anything of the sort.  She is just plain terrible, possibly having the worst partner AI I've ever seen.  She constantly runs out of ammo, and runs around helplessly yelling for more ammo from me, which I struggle to give her because I have to open my inventory in real time to find it and select "give", and if I do that, she promptly starts shooting everything, no matter how close or ridiculously far away it is, and then asks for more ammo.  I only just got the game, and I'm already completely fed up with it.  I play games primarily for the single player, and this feels like half a game to me, with only the online co-op version being basically playable.

Seriously, the girl is just fucking brain dead.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By papercut

How much better would that game of been if Sheva was replaced with Louis.

think about it.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

A woman spending a lot. No, AI sounds pretty accurate to me.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    Geno said:
    "A women spending a lot. No, AI sounds pretty accurate to me. "
    Zing! Anyway, I won't be playing this in single player on my first playthrough so bad AI won't matter much.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm surprised the review got a full five stars and sort of pleased as well. Looking forward to playing it now. The only thing I disagreed with about GB's review is that Brad said that the scenes might possibly surpass MGS4's. Now they do look super amazing, but I don't think they surpass MGS4's cutscenes. Not yet anyways.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

From the reviews I've read, Sheva is awesome but tends to waste ammo and health packs, however you can take both of those things away from her and totally eliminate that problem.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Randolph
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "From the reviews I've read, Sheva is awesome but tends to waste ammo and health packs, however you can take both of those things away from her and totally eliminate that problem."
    Except then she can't defend herself, gets killed, and the game is over.  I'm just amazed at how utterly and completely frustrated, unimpressed, and bored I really am.  I just went and stood in line to buy this at midnight, and I'm likely going to take it right back in tomorrow.  It's just RE4 with better graphics, and none of the fun.  If nothing else, it really highlights how completely meaningless reviews are these days.  Five stars/ 10 out of 10, etc. and I'm bored to tears.  God, I remember playing RE4 for seven hours straight on day one, and that was after waiting on it to arrive for three hours because UPS was running late, AND I had just gotten off work.

I'm starting to think it's time to just cash in my chips and turn in my video gamer card altogether.  At least I stayed in long enough to get to experience MGS4.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GioVANNI

Amen brother. 

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By daniel_beck_90

As a person who is' bout to finish the game for the second time , I totally disagree with OP .  Sheva's AI is okay .

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Randolph
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "As a person who is' bout to finish the game for the second time , I totally disagree with OP .  Sheva's AI is okay . "
    What exactly does she do that is "ok"?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    Randolph said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    "From the reviews I've read, Sheva is awesome but tends to waste ammo and health packs, however you can take both of those things away from her and totally eliminate that problem."
    Except then she can't defend herself, gets killed, and the game is over.  I'm just amazed at how utterly and completely frustrated, unimpressed, and bored I really am.  I just went and stood in line to buy this at midnight, and I'm likely going to take it right back in tomorrow.  It's just RE4 with better graphics, and none of the fun.  If nothing else, it really highlights how completely meaningless reviews are these days.  Five stars/ 10 out of 10, etc. and I'm bored to tears.  God, I remember playing RE4 for seven hours straight on day one, and that was after waiting on it to arrive for three hours because UPS was running late, AND I had just gotten off work.I'm starting to think it's time to just cash in my chips and turn in my video gamer card altogether."
    Wow. You got it at midnight, and already are about to take it back tomorrow. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Sometimes you need to be patient with games and really give them a chance. I know there have been plenty of games that I wasn't too pleased with after my initial impressions, and then a lot of those games turned into some of my all-time favorites. Slow it down there, dude. There's no way it could be that bad.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GioVANNI
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "As a person who is' bout to finish the game for the second time , I totally disagree with OP .  Sheva's AI is okay . "
    I've beaten RE5, and Sheva's AI is horrendous. 
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Randolph
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "Randolph said:Wow. You got it at midnight, and already are about to take it back tomorrow. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Sometimes you need to be patient with games and really give them a chance. I know there have been plenty of games that I wasn't too pleased with after my initial impressions, and then a lot of those games turned into some of my all-time favorites. Slow it down there, dude. There's no way it could be that bad. "
    It's also that I'm firing the same guns, moving the same archaic way, getting the same animations from the enemies (all these years in development just to recycle all the old RE4 animations?  That's just goddamned lazy), and playing the exact same way.  Their is, quite literally, zero excitement in the actual action of playing the game.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    GioVANNI said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    I've beaten RE5, and Sheva's AI is horrendous.  "
      I do not know what you were expecting from the AI that it could not fulfill ? It is AI and not a real human . You should compare  the AI to other  AI s and not human players . Considering the fact that she is always with you throughout  the game and the various things she is capable of , I believe  her AI  while not perfect is good enough .  I have explained this issue in details in my review
    NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NickM

Are we talking about the same Sheva here? Because, so far (4-1) she has only died once (chainsawed) and just keeps stealing my kills.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickM

She IS a bit trigger-happy, but there's plenty ammo to go around

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PureRok
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "GioVANNI said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
      I do not know what you were expecting from the AI that it could not fulfill ? It is AI and not a real human . You should compare  the AI to other  AI s and not human players . Considering the fact that she is always with you throughout  the game and the various things she is capable of , I believe  her AI  while not perfect is good enough .  I have explained this issue in details in my review "
    Her AI is worse than the girl in RE4. Therefore, her AI is bad.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By BoG
    PureRok said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "GioVANNI said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
      I do not know what you were expecting from the AI that it could not fulfill ? It is AI and not a real human . You should compare  the AI to other  AI s and not human players . Considering the fact that she is always with you throughout  the game and the various things she is capable of , I believe  her AI  while not perfect is good enough .  I have explained this issue in details in my review "
    Her AI is worse than the girl in RE4. Therefore, her AI is bad."
    The girl in RE4 just followed you around and ducked when you aimed at her. Nothing could go wrong.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok
    BoG said:
    "PureRok said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "GioVANNI said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    The girl in RE4 just followed you around and ducked when you aimed at her. Nothing could go wrong.
    "
    So adding a gun instantly makes her AI retarded?
    Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hdfisise

HELP ME LEON! Ashley was annoying and from the demo Sheva was as well. However if there really is loads of ammo available it won;t matter that much to me.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yeah i saw a few problems with the giantbomb review.

Giantbomb is independent enough not to accept advertising money to give a game a good score but they aren't independent enough to stop following the hype and the crowd and give it good scores when it doesn't deserve them.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By TheHBK

I remember how dumb she was in the demo and hoping it would get better in the real game.  Nope.  But it is useful to have her with you in a corner and just her revive you every time you take a hit.  Of course I think that just happens because she is so dumb.  I really don't think the game gets a 5 star, four at most if you really like it, 3 if you can see it for what it is.  IGN dropped the balls too.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dr_Cash
    Randolph said:
    "She is not "mostly ok" or even decent, or anything of the sort.  She is just plain terrible, possibly having the worst partner AI I've ever seen.  She constantly runs out of ammo, and runs around helplessly yelling for more ammo from me, which I struggle to give her because I have to open my inventory in real time to find it and select "give", and if I do that, she promptly starts shooting everything, no matter how close or ridiculously far away it is, and then asks for more ammo.  I only just got the game, and I'm already completely fed up with it.  I play games primarily for the single player, and this feels like half a game to me, with only the online co-op version being basically playable.Seriously, the girl is just fucking brain dead."
    Here is what you need to do. Treat it just like you would be for real picking up the slack for a woman. You are stronger so you need to give her most of the ammo. And you need to use your knive a lot and conserve ammo. And hit B a lot to keep her from always running off.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Keyser_Soze

RE5 has been scraping 9's on major sites, which seems to me they don't have the balls to give it the mid 8's it probably deserves. But then in these disastrous economic collapse times, the corporations have to watch out for their own corporate interests. And the system unravels itself and collapses on a bunch of lies.

Profound.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dr_Cash
    Keyser_Soze said:
    "RE5 has been scraping 9's on major sites, which seems to me they don't have the balls to give it the mid 8's it probably deserves. But then in these disastrous economic collapse times, the corporations have to watch out for their own corporate interests. And the system unravels itself and collapses on a bunch of lies.Profound."

I do not agree. I think it is clearly an AAA game just RE4 was basicly an AAAA caliber game. But RE5 is still spectacular. And it deserves AAA. Just people who struggle with the controls may not think so. I for one never had a problem with the controls. Yes I do with you could at least walk and aim and shoot butit still deserves AAA.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    PureRok said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "GioVANNI said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    I disagree !!!
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn
    papercut said:
    "How much better would that game of been if Sheva was replaced with Louis.think about it."
    BILL!
    Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shazam
    iAmJohn said:
    "papercut said:
    "How much better would that game of been if Sheva was replaced with Louis.think about it."
    BILL!
    "
    There's the solution folks. Btw iAmJohn, I just have to say that your avatar made me melt. :D possibly cutest thing I have ever seen
    Phaxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Phaxi
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "Randolph said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    Except then she can't defend herself, gets killed, and the game is over.  I'm just amazed at how utterly and completely frustrated, unimpressed, and bored I really am.  I just went and stood in line to buy this at midnight, and I'm likely going to take it right back in tomorrow.  It's just RE4 with better graphics, and none of the fun.  If nothing else, it really highlights how completely meaningless reviews are these days.  Five stars/ 10 out of 10, etc. and I'm bored to tears.  God, I remember playing RE4 for seven hours straight on day one, and that was after waiting on it to arrive for three hours because UPS was running late, AND I had just gotten off work.I'm starting to think it's time to just cash in my chips and turn in my video gamer card altogether."
    Wow. You got it at midnight, and already are about to take it back tomorrow. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Sometimes you need to be patient with games and really give them a chance. I know there have been plenty of games that I wasn't too pleased with after my initial impressions, and then a lot of those games turned into some of my all-time favorites. Slow it down there, dude. There's no way it could be that bad. "
    The guy is obviously a fanboy, w/e you say isn't going to effect his opinion so its best to ignore.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Geno said:
    "A woman spending a lot. No, AI sounds pretty accurate to me. "
    Haha, dat's a good one.

On the topic, I am going to get my copy momentarily so I really shouldn't voice any opinions yet because I have yet to play it, but it seems that there is a lot of ammo to go around and that her trigger-happy nature is acceptable. Still, yeah, she's probably not the best A.I. and I would rather play co-op. I will get back when I actually play it, ya know?
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By DukeTogo

Remove her inventory from the equation and give her 300% health with unlimited ammo, solved.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By jakob187

What I've played of it was with a buddy, and I didn't enjoy it.  Knowing that Sheva's AI sucks nads...I'm pretty sure this game just isn't going to get any love from me.

BRING ON THE HATE!!!
    dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#33  Edited By dudacles

Sheva's AI... Sucks. Ass. However, if you play with a friend, RE5 becomes absolutely fantastic.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By End_Boss
    papercut said:

No Caption Provided

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm not very far into the game (2-1), but I haven't really had much of an issue with Sheva's AI. I'll admit that she does tend to use up her ammo pretty quickly, but there's typically enough ammo to go around and when she runs out she's at least smart enough to pull out her knife or use melee. She hasn't died a single time and has actually saved me a couple of times from imminent death. Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying the single player experience.

TC, I'm sorry you don't see things that way and have been unable to enjoy the game, but before you think about returning the game, have you played co-op? That should pretty much eliminate any issue you had with Sheva's AI...though if you pair up with someone randomly you might end up even worse off.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By LordAndrew
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "yeah i saw a few problems with the giantbomb review.

Giantbomb is independent enough not to accept advertising money to give a game a good score but they aren't independent enough to stop following the hype and the crowd and give it good scores when it doesn't deserve them."
    With the exception of Vinny, these guys have been writing about games for years. I think they know a thing or two about reviewing games based on their own merits.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    TheGreatGuero said:
    Yes, render her useless and you're fine.

That's no solution!
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pweidman

I've played about 5 hours so far, and Sheva is fine.  She chews through ammo but you can just regulate that by keeping the majority, let alone that there's plenty to find.  She follows a bit too close for me, but overall Capcom did a good job w/her AI imo.  Maybe when I play on the hardest diff I'll see more problems, like Dom in Gears, but she seems much better so far.  Looking froward to co-op w/friends the most anyway.

HykCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HykCraft
    Randolph said:
    "She is not "mostly ok" or even decent, or anything of the sort.  She is just plain terrible, possibly having the worst partner AI I've ever seen.  She constantly runs out of ammo, and runs around helplessly yelling for more ammo from me, which I struggle to give her because I have to open my inventory in real time to find it and select "give", and if I do that, she promptly starts shooting everything, no matter how close or ridiculously far away it is, and then asks for more ammo.  I only just got the game, and I'm already completely fed up with it.  I play games primarily for the single player, and this feels like half a game to me, with only the online co-op version being basically playable.Seriously, the girl is just fucking brain dead."

Dude.. I fuckin' agree completely. I wish she would fall over dead for the all the times I shoot her in the cranium while she stands in front of me while I'm trying to headshot enemies.
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Randolph
    Phaxi said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    "Randolph said:
    "TheGreatGuero said:
    Wow. You got it at midnight, and already are about to take it back tomorrow. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Sometimes you need to be patient with games and really give them a chance. I know there have been plenty of games that I wasn't too pleased with after my initial impressions, and then a lot of those games turned into some of my all-time favorites. Slow it down there, dude. There's no way it could be that bad. "
    The guy is obviously a fanboy, w/e you say isn't going to effect his opinion so its best to ignore."
    You're retarded.  No really, you are a complete goddamn retard.  I was playing Resident Evil games when you were in grade school.  I've been with the series from day one.  Hell, I still have my tall case PSone version in the closet.  So you, dear sir, can go to hell.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#43  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Randolph said:
    You're retarded.  No really, you are a complete goddamn retard.  I was playing Resident Evil games when you were in grade school.  I've been with the series from day one.  Hell, I still have my tall case PSone version in the closet.  So you, dear sir, can go to hell."
    Elitism much? Nobody gives a shit that you played the old RE games and are probably in the same group as the people who wish it had stayed with fixed camera angles and never innovated. Your previous knowledge of the series does not make your opinion any more valid.

But whatever. I personally have no problem with Sheva's AI. Sure, she is no substitute for a real person, but she can usually hold her own. Occasionally she may get her head cut off by a chainsaw maniac or run into a stick of dynamite, but the checkpoint system is so forgiving and the occurrences are rare enough that it's not much of an issue.
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Randolph
    ArbitraryWater said:
    "Randolph said:
    You're retarded.  No really, you are a complete goddamn retard.  I was playing Resident Evil games when you were in grade school.  I've been with the series from day one.  Hell, I still have my tall case PSone version in the closet.  So you, dear sir, can go to hell."
    Elitism much? Nobody gives a shit that you played the old RE games and are probably in the same group as the people who wish it had stayed with fixed camera angles and never innovated. Your previous knowledge of the series does not make your opinion any more valid.But whatever. I personally have no problem with Sheva's AI. Sure, she is no substitute for a real person, but she can usually hold her own. Occasionally she may get her head cut off by a chainsaw maniac or run into a stick of dynamite, but the checkpoint system is so forgiving and the occurrences are rare enough that it's not much of an issue."
    No, I'm not elitist.  Reading comprehension, try it.  I don't give a shit that you don't give a shit, but when some brain dead Narutard runs into my thread and tells me, a guy whose been with the series from day one, that I'm just a fanboy hating on RE5 for the sake of it, I'm going to point out that he's a goddamn retard and explain why, which is what I did.  Impressing a bunch of nobodies posting under anonymous handles on an obscure internet hobby forum (because a hobby is what it is kids, seriously) because of my "gamer cred" is just about at the goddamned bottom of my list of priorities in life, and if anyone IS impressed with me because of it, they should immediately mutilate their own genitals to make sure that they do not further pollute the human gene pool with the complete and utter failure passed on to them from their parents. 

If you want to do the whole internet "debate" thing now where we become arch rivals and have a multi page overglorified slap fight of get the last word in, please, don't bother, because I'm not retarded enough to find that entertaining.  I'm sure some guy with thousands of posts who spends every waking moment here can take you up on that on some other unrelated subject though.  I also enjoyed the shit out of RE4, so please try not to make further assumptions.  This of course not to mention that RE4 was not even terribly innovative.  They did not even change the controls.  They just locked the camera behind Leon, and turned the action up while minimizing the survival horror aspects.  RE5 further turns the survival horror aspects down to the point of non existence and adds a retarded AI partner, while giving the game a bland and uninteresting environment and recycling the enemy animations from a 2005 game.  MAN I AM DROWNING IN ALL THIS RADICAL INNOVATION.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By makari

She's serviceable. Just give her a machine gun and upgrade its power and piercing, since it generally has the highest capacity and largest amount of ammo per drop, and the piercing helps to conserve ammo by hitting multiple congested enemies at once. She won't run out of ammo, since she is smart enough to conserve and not go full-auto on normal majini, and with a couple of power upgrades it only takes a few bullets to down them. Keep her on cover and use melee attacks, keep her close with B. She's generally a good shot within a certain range, so it's not really as if she is wasting ammo since she does score a fair amount of kills by herself. Even if you're not aware of how well she is actually doing at killing things, you will notice the random piles of ammo and gold that her kills leave behind. As she typically pops staggered single shots on normal majini with the machine gun, you'll generally have enough time between the minor stuns to run up and slash at the head with your knife and follow up with a melee, and if she's close enough and on cover, Sheva will combo and waste alot of the surrounding majini anyway, which conserves bullets for both of you. She's not exactly ideal in every situation, but she isn't so bad that you can't finish the game comfortably by yourself.

BloodCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BloodCurse

You got it at midnight?  Why?  Why not just order it online and let it come to you and avoid the needless social interacting with other human beings. 

I think Homer Simpson said something along the lines of "what's the point of going out, you're just going to end up back home".  Wise man, that one.

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

play co-op and it doesnt matter

t0mpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By t0mpa

After Sheva died 4 times in quick succession on the MILD SPOILER:

furnace boss I just gave up and waited for a mate to get online with his copy. Don't punish yourself by following Brad's advice on going through solo first, it's clearly made for co-op so treat yourself to playing with a friend instead.

Hell, that's how I managed to really enjoy Army of Two, by never playing it single.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

End_Boss said:
    "papercut said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    The fact that this is a Steve Vai cover makes this response so, so awesome.
    Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gambit

Her A.I. is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. The only time I really died because of the A.I. partner was during the chapter 5-3 boss fight. The only thing I don't get is sheva's fetish for hand guns. She can have a infinite ammo magnum but if she has a hand gun you better believe she is using that thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.