Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

The Giant Bomb review is just dead wrong about Sheva.

• 83 results
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By LiquidPrince

The AI has never not even once died during my play through and she even killed a ton of the enemies, so I have no clue what you're complaining about.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Milkman

The pure stupidity by most of posters in this thread is amazing. Truly profound. 

nima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By nima

ok, I just completed resident evil 5 last night and it was way too awesome. This is coming from someone who also likes gears.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By GleasonRyan

1.upgrade the M92F all the way

2.beat the game

3. Buy unlimited ammo for the M92F.

4.Sheva doesnt waste ammo.

5.Sheva is fine

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By HandsomeDead

Sheva died 7 times during the final battle by refusing to shoot at or run away from Wesker. Fuck that bitch.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#57  Edited By Icemael
    atheistium said:
    "If you think her AI is bad then you obviously have not played many AI games. Prince of Persia for example, Elika as a very simple job. Follow you and help you jump and turn cranks. Getting Elika to turn a crank is sometimes really annoying because she won't always come join you on a crank.
    Elika was perfect. When I wanted to use her, I just pressed a button(And I dunno what this about cranks is, she always joined me when I grabbed one). When I didn't want to use her I, didn't. She didn't get hurt, she never got in the way, and she certainly didn't waste my stuff.

Sheva, on the other hand, does whatever the hell she wants. She runs around on her own(I have to press a button just to make her follow me, which also makes Chris stop for a second), wasting ammo and getting killed. Elika never did such things, neither did Ashley.
    "She is not brain dead seeing that nearly every review and most people who are playing the game feel that way. I think you just can't get on with it and need to blame your own problems on an AI partner who can take care of herself."
    I can beat RE4 without problems and I swear, I would have done much better in RE5 on my own(the large amount of enemies isn't a problem, because unlike Sheva I know how to use melee and run away from dudes with chainsaws). So no, it's not me who's having problems - it's her.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Get a friend and play co-op? I know I'll be doing that when/if I get this game too. Co-op rules, screw Bots taking the place of your friends :)

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Icemael

Bu the problem is that she doesn't melee. She will do it occasionally, but most of the time she just keeps shooting. Not only is she wasting ammo, sometimes she even prevents me from using melee, since shooting a flinching enemy can remove the chance to use melee on it.

I really think Sheva shouldn't be in single player at all, regardless of her AI. As it is now, her AI makes her a hindrance. If she had been better, she would have stolen my kills. In co-op she is necessary(duh), but when I play single player I want to play single player. Not co-op with a computer-controlled partner.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I had Sheva shoot me in the back multiple times when I played the demo.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#62  Edited By Hailinel
    PureRok said:
    "BoG said:
    "PureRok said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "GioVANNI said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "As a person who is' bout to finish the game for the second time , I totally disagree with OP .  Sheva's AI is okay . "
    I've beaten RE5, and Sheva's AI is horrendous.  "
      I do not know what you were expecting from the AI that it could not fulfill ? It is AI and not a real human . You should compare  the AI to other  AI s and not human players . Considering the fact that she is always with you throughout  the game and the various things she is capable of , I believe  her AI  while not perfect is good enough .  I have explained this issue in details in my review "
    Her AI is worse than the girl in RE4. Therefore, her AI is bad."
    The girl in RE4 just followed you around and ducked when you aimed at her. Nothing could go wrong.
    "
    So adding a gun instantly makes her AI retarded?"
    I have yet to play RE5, but I seriously doubt that's what he meant.  Ashley didn't have the freedom to be aggressive because she was meant to be defenseless.  Leon is the only one that can fight, so that's why Ashley ducks when Leon aims his gun in her direction.  Sheva is meant to assist Chris in combat, so by nature she needs to be more aggressive in engaging enemies, and active engagement is more likely to get you killed.

It's also worth pointing out that in RE4, the enemies didn't want Ashley dead, and in most instances, the player had to protect her from capture more than imminent death.  In RE5, Sheva and Chris are both fair game all the time.
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By CoolDrMoney

They should have gone the old RE route with this game and make Chris and Sheva have separate playable campaigns with some slight differences for each. And then have a co-op option for playing with a human partner.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Icemael
    CoolDrMoney said:
    "They should have gone the old RE route with this game and make Chris and Sheva have separate playable campaigns with some slight differences for each. And then have a co-op option for playing with a human partner. "
    That would have been awesome.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By carlthenimrod

The AI is pretty terrible. I wish I could tell her to go hide in a dumpster so I could clear the area and then come back for her. The worst thing she does is shoot me and instead of adjusting, she just continues to unload her ammo into me. I just slap more forehead.

The game is still awesome and deserving of the 5 stars though. The game has some incredible lows, but also, some super highs.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Listen to what the guys over at CO-OP said, if you aren't playing the game with a friend you are doing it wrong. Honestly, get a friend and play with them cause co-op in almost any game is 10x better always. heck I played that joke of a game "Earth Defense Force" and had a blast cause it was split screen co-op :)

Bots are lame, always. You should try and use/appreciate the steps into the co-op world that Res5 actually took, it's a large part of the game imo.
    SidVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SidVicious

Ive played through 3 times already, and I really dont have any gripes with the AI. One time I was playing co op with some dude, and it took us 30 minutes to take out a boss. I was wishing she was AI

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So, I just got my copy of the game yesterday, and I beat the game on Veteran earlier this morning.  My take: I like Sheva.

Despite the several encounters with Chainsaw-maniacs, Sheva didn't die a single time, and there were plenty of opportunities for his saw to one-hit her. When we're surrounded by enemies, I can blast my way through and make a beeline for a clearing, and I can always count on her to be on my tail. Her expenditure of ammunition is pretty tame in comparison to my expectations (reading these posts I half expected her to go completely buck-wild); she fires the machine gun in bursts and she's deadly accurate.

If I had to gripe, I'd say she's a might slow reacting to moments when I'm constricted by an enemy (and I had one moment during the Wesker-boss battle where he began to strangle me and Sheva stood, literally within arm's reach of us, and did nothing but aim at Wesker). But aside from that, she's pretty competent. Again, I played on Veteran, if that clears the air for anyone.

It's possible that I lowered my expectations based on the scathing reaction a lot of people in this forum had to her, but I think she's more than enough help to keep the game enjoyable.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By thiago

The people that says this game is "awesome" must be out of new games to play. This game is not awesome, it is simply Gears of War rip-off Capcom decided to call "Resident Evil 5", but with an even dumber AI.

My biggest complain about Sheva is that some enemies have armor, and she keeps shooting them in the armor and not where they can be hit. Those enemies would be so easy if you have two humans playing, because while it is running towards one of them the other can shoot it in the back. But no, Capcom crapped all over the place with that coop BS.

Besides, the game is so predictable. It is an action game, not survival horror. Almost every lever you pull activates a scripted event that send zombies your way. Zombies with AK-47 and rocket launchers and armor, WTF!?

zgreenwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By zgreenwell

The only problem I ever had with her was on professional in the fight against wesker.

As an AI she's manageable. I put her on cover and upgraded her pistol damage while upgrading my guns. I never carried a handgun myself and she would often end up with more then one full pistol ammo. I also gave her most of the healing items. She was never a problem and was very often helpful.

Since then I've played online with a number of random people. I can tell you that the average human player I've met up with is far less skilled then my computer controlled partner. To put it simply, if Sheva dies all the time its because you suck at the game.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#72  Edited By the8bitNacho

Sheva's AI is exceptional in my opinion.  What AI partners are people comparing her to her?  Hopefully none, because comparatively she's pretty good.

On Normal I hardly ran into any situation she didn't know how to handle.  On Veteran, she was fine until near the end of Chapter 5.  The Lickers seemed to really give the A.I. a run for its money, but really, I just think all the hate that Sheva's getting is more a part of the Resident Evil 5 backlash that followed the game not being as revolutionary or defining as RE4 was.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By pause422
    Kombat said:
    "Sheva's AI is exceptional in my opinion.  What AI partners are people comparing her to her?  Hopefully none, because comparatively she's pretty good.On Normal I hardly ran into any situation she didn't know how to handle.  On Veteran, she was fine until near the end of Chapter 5.  The Lickers seemed to really give the A.I. a run for its money, but really, I just think all the hate that Sheva's getting is more a part of the Resident Evil 5 backlash that followed the game not being as revolutionary or defining as RE4 was. "
    Thats what I would say, even though RE5 disappointed me and I knew it was going to from the start, yes, her AI is nothing special by any means, but compared to plenty of other games AI parters which are equally bad or far far worse it doesn't really stick out as being completely awful.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By OmegaPirate
    thiago said:
    "The people that says this game is "awesome" must be out of new games to play. This game is not awesome, it is simply Gears of War rip-off Capcom decided to call "Resident Evil 5", but with an even dumber AI.My biggest complain about Sheva is that some enemies have armor, and she keeps shooting them in the armor and not where they can be hit. Those enemies would be so easy if you have two humans playing, because while it is running towards one of them the other can shoot it in the back. But no, Capcom crapped all over the place with that coop BS.Besides, the game is so predictable. It is an action game, not survival horror. Almost every lever you pull activates a scripted event that send zombies your way. Zombies with AK-47 and rocket launchers and armor, WTF!?"
    Ah yes, because Gears invented thrid person action over the shoulder aiming amirite?
    thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By thiago
    OmegaPirate said:
    Ah yes, because Gears invented thrid person action over the shoulder aiming amirite?"

The implementation of the cover system is RE5 is so bad, so bad, that it hurts. Even the Hammer of Dawn is there.

Try playing Gears of War with Resident Evil controls. That's what this game is about: dumb action (the story sucks) + crappy controls.
    thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By thiago

People compare apples to oranges. The only thing Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 had in common was the third person perspective, and RE4 did it before Gears. But that's it, nothing else.

RE5 ripped off Gears with the dumb coop option and AI buddy, with the linear gameplay, action and cover system, and even with the Hammer of Dawn.

I was never a huge fan of Resident Evil, but I remember I liked RE4 and RE3. In RE4 you had exploration for items so you could open some door and then progress to another area, that kind of stuff. The environments in RE5 looks so much smaller, maybe is just an impression because of the linear gameplay, but there's no exploration whatsoever. The puzzles are like "this door needs a keycard" and then you have to kill some big zombie carrying a machine gun to get it, and he is in the same room as the door. What kind of puzzle is that?

RE5 is dumb shooting, no exploration, no atmosphere, with a story that is simply awful. If the last boss was so powerful.... why? It doesn't even make sense.

The only thing that puzzles me is why some people is praising this game so much. Seriously, enumerate the reasons if you can. If it had introduced new ideas or maybe it contained an interesting storyline or interesting characters, maybe it could be a good game even if it is not a "Resident Evil" game. But, come on, why is this game so "good" in the opinion of some?

The problem of having too much action is not the action, but the fact that the controls don't work with action-oriented gameplay. If it is some kind of horror that is slower paced and that kind of stuff, then the controls are fine. But trying to take cover, run and shoot using that controls is simply horrible. And the game forces you to do that, because the zombies have rocket launchers, armors and guns.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
    deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

papercut said:
    "How much better would that game of been if Sheva was replaced with Louis.think about it."
    think about how much gayer it would be! :P
    Ender445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ender445

My only issue with Sheva was her constantly wasting herbs. She is extremely efficient with ammo, and never misses. Give her a shotgun and you'll be good to go.

sneakysnake128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By sneakysnake128

RE5 is crazy fun with coop. The only time it's tolerable to play with the AI is when you unlock infinite ammo. The funny thing then is that she doesn't shoot enough.

MutieLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MutieLover
    thiago said:
    "People compare apples to oranges. The only thing Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 had in common was the third person perspective, and RE4 did it before Gears. But that's it, nothing else.RE5 ripped off Gears with the dumb coop option and AI buddy, with the linear gameplay, action and cover system, and even with the Hammer of Dawn. I was never a huge fan of Resident Evil, but I remember I liked RE4 and RE3. In RE4 you had exploration for items so you could open some door and then progress to another area, that kind of stuff. The environments in RE5 looks so much smaller, maybe is just an impression because of the linear gameplay, but there's no exploration whatsoever. The puzzles are like "this door needs a keycard" and then you have to kill some big zombie carrying a machine gun to get it, and he is in the same room as the door. What kind of puzzle is that?RE5 is dumb shooting, no exploration, no atmosphere, with a story that is simply awful. If the last boss was so powerful.... why? It doesn't even make sense.The only thing that puzzles me is why some people is praising this game so much. Seriously, enumerate the reasons if you can. If it had introduced new ideas or maybe it contained an interesting storyline or interesting characters, maybe it could be a good game even if it is not a "Resident Evil" game. But, come on, why is this game so "good" in the opinion of some?The problem of having too much action is not the action, but the fact that the controls don't work with action-oriented gameplay. If it is some kind of horror that is slower paced and that kind of stuff, then the controls are fine. But trying to take cover, run and shoot using that controls is simply horrible. And the game forces you to do that, because the zombies have rocket launchers, armors and guns. "

1) YOU were the one who made the comparison b/w "Gears" and "RE5".
    2) "Gears" is not the first CO-OP game, nor is it the first game to have a Bot co-player.
    3) "Gears" and it's elk owe its existence to RE4.
    4) "RE5" is all about the CO-OP experience. In fact it is an amazing CO-OP game with a perfectly good single player mode.

Like various people have said before, Sheva in single player has had more pros than cons. She does love to burn through heals and ammo, but she has come to my side more times than I can remember. The ONLY issue I've had with her is when she walks right into my line of fire after I had spent so much time lining up a shot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thiago said:
    If it is some kind of horror that is slower paced and that kind of stuff, then the controls are fine. But trying to take cover, run and shoot using that controls is simply horrible. And the game forces you to do that, because the zombies have rocket launchers, armors and guns. "
    Personally, I don't find it to be that bad. The controls are fine once you've acclimated to them; you can't be too hung up on Gears, for it's something of a different beast.

Moreover, the "Rockets, Armor, Guns" complaint only regards the end of the game, and by that point, the point at which it is advisable to hunker behind cover to protect yourself from the peppering of bullets, you should have weapons adequate enough to deal with the situation.

Ultimately, the game is far from perfect, but it's not unplayable.  Not for the patient.
    bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By bulletbeast

I thought thw AI for sheva was fine. Ive played the game on all difficulty settings and have never had any serious problems with her. When you compare her to the AI characters in other games such as Dom in Gears 2 or the AI in Army of two, she's much better

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By thiago
    MutieLover said:
    "thiago said:
    1) YOU were the one who made the comparison b/w "Gears" and "RE5".
    2) "Gears" is not the first CO-OP game, nor is it the first game to have a Bot co-player.
    3) "Gears" and it's elk owe its existence to RE4.
    4) "RE5" is all about the CO-OP experience. In fact it is an amazing CO-OP game with a perfectly good single player mode.

Like various people have said before, Sheva in single player has had more pros than cons. She does love to burn through heals and ammo, but she has come to my side more times than I can remember. The ONLY issue I've had with her is when she walks right into my line of fire after I had spent so much time lining up a shot.

That's it. People can't explain why the game is good.

So was the Hammer of Dawn in level 6-2 just my imagination? This game was designed around action, not horror nor exploration or puzzles.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By Metroid545

sheva when u play normal-Great!

sheva when you play veteran-meh fire a little more

sheva when you play pro- OMG SHOOT AT LEAST ONE BULLET AND WHILE YOUR AT IT HEAL ME!!!

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Geno said:
    "A woman spending a lot. No, AI sounds pretty accurate to me. "

you win at life.

also, i had absolutely no problems with Sheva's AI until the last 3 hours of the game, at which point it became pretty frustrating. in other words, i agree with the review.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spilledmilkfactory said:
    "Geno said:
    "A woman spending a lot. No, AI sounds pretty accurate to me. "
    you win at life. also, i had absolutely no problems with Sheva's AI until the last 3 hours of the game, at which point it became pretty frustrating. in other words, i agree with the review."
    The last three hours can be somewhat difficult regardless.  Not that this post is a direct attack to your statement, just saying.  That part with the Reapers and Gatling Gun assholes?  I was cursing up a shitstorm.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.