What if *spoilers*

#1 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -

- If Sheva was there to receive Chris at the beginning and say "Welcome to Africa", why didn't she notice all the strange things happening around her before the game started?

- At some point she refers to the zombies as "her people". I suppose she is from the same country as them. Wouldn't she notice the animals slaughtered in the middle of the streets or internal organs and rotten stuff around? If they were infected wouldn't they attack her?

- At some point one of the enemies injects himself with the virus and become a monster, but he doesn't lose his intelligence in the process. Now imagine an alternate reality where he actually manages to kill Chris and Sheva. What would he do for the rest of his life? Live like a sea monster?

The game is good, but I have gotten the felling throughout the game that they were just adding things so it would "look good" and don't really make any sense.

This game looks like Gears of Evil 4.5 HD remix, seriously. It is good, but I remember having more enjoyment with Resident Evil 4.

#2 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

lol never rly thought of the sheva thing

thought alot on the irving one though i mean wtf he got a tiny virus and in like 20 sec OMFG HUGE SEA MONSTER GRAHH!

#3 Posted by supersatanic (56 posts) -
thiago said:
"- If Sheva was there to receive Chris at the beginning and say "Welcome to Africa", why didn't she notice all the strange things happening around her before the game started?- At some point she refers to the zombies as "her people". I suppose she is from the same country as them. Wouldn't she notice the animals slaughtered in the middle of the streets or internal organs and rotten stuff around? If they were infected wouldn't they attack her?- At some point one of the enemies injects himself with the virus and become a monster, but he doesn't lose his intelligence in the process. Now imagine an alternate reality where he actually manages to kill Chris and Sheva. What would he do for the rest of his life? Live like a sea monster?The game is good, but I have gotten the felling throughout the game that they were just adding things so it would "look good" and don't really make any sense.This game looks like Gears of Evil 4.5 HD remix, seriously. It is good, but I remember having more enjoyment with Resident Evil 4."
I think you're absolutely right. For all the graphical power in the world ,this game isn't inspired enough. With RE4 ,One minute i was throwing a spear in to a sea creatures face, and another i was running away from a 80 feet tall statue of a kid dressed as napoleon and then another, I was dodging lasers and somewhere in between I was looking up ashley's skir..........oh well nevermind.
All I do in RE5 is shoot some zombies,then shoot some more and then shoot a boss with BIG RED WEAK POINTS, and then shoot some zombies and then shoot some more and then shoot another boss with BIG RED WEAK POINTS. All in the while I'm constantly struggling with the new inventory system.....
I put in a similar post here:
http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-5/61-20569/did-you-guys-miss-mikami-san-while-playing-re5/35-238329/#1

I Guess RE just isn't the same without mikami.....

#4 Edited by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -
thiago said:
At some point one of the enemies injects himself with the virus and become a monster, but he doesn't lose his intelligence in the process. Now imagine an alternate reality where he actually manages to kill Chris and Sheva. What would he do for the rest of his life? Live like a sea monster?
This is one of those plot points that science fiction has a difficult time addressing. For instance, take Wesker: once he infects the world with Uroboros, what then? They're just going to hang out, a whole race of eel-people?

In defense of this particular plot point, however, I read that Jill and Wesker force Irving into becoming the creature, since he's failed on so many fronts in regards to stopping Chris and Sheva. So, yes, he'd remain a monster until Wesker saw fit to terminate him. Remember Resident Evil 4: Saddler could control the Plagas. I'm sure Wesker had a failsafe.
#5 Posted by KangShinChul (25 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"thiago said:
At some point one of the enemies injects himself with the virus and become a monster, but he doesn't lose his intelligence in the process. Now imagine an alternate reality where he actually manages to kill Chris and Sheva. What would he do for the rest of his life? Live like a sea monster?
This is one of those plot points that science fiction has a difficult time addressing. For instance, take Wesker: once he infects the world with Uroboros, what then? They're just going to hang out, a whole race of eel-people? In defense of this particular plot point, however, I read that Jill and Wesker force Irving into becoming the creature, since he's failed on so many fronts in regards to stopping Chris and Sheva. So, yes, he'd remain a monster until Wesker saw fit to terminate him. Remember Resident Evil 4: Saddler could control the Plagas. I'm sure Wesker had a failsafe. "
It would be pretty funny if Irving just lived the rest of his life as a sea monster. Just swimming around, terrorizing the world, unable to fit himself into society.

Meanwhile, Wesker settles down in his cottage on the countryside with his Uroboros children playing in the fields of grass.
#6 Posted by LiquidPrince (16119 posts) -

The infection was only just starting to get widespread in Africa when Chris arrived.

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
thiago said:
Ever hear of naughty tentacles?
#8 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -
KangShinChul said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"thiago said:
This is one of those plot points that science fiction has a difficult time addressing. For instance, take Wesker: once he infects the world with Uroboros, what then? They're just going to hang out, a whole race of eel-people? In defense of this particular plot point, however, I read that Jill and Wesker force Irving into becoming the creature, since he's failed on so many fronts in regards to stopping Chris and Sheva. So, yes, he'd remain a monster until Wesker saw fit to terminate him. Remember Resident Evil 4: Saddler could control the Plagas. I'm sure Wesker had a failsafe. "
It would be pretty funny if Irving just lived the rest of his life as a sea monster. Just swimming around, terrorizing the world, unable to fit himself into society.Meanwhile, Wesker settles down in his cottage on the countryside with his Uroboros children playing in the fields of grass."
This is a beautiful ending. I don't understand why Capcom passed this up.
#9 Posted by RyanD (93 posts) -

i think you are looking into this way too much. you can look at any games plotholes and analyze them under a magnifying glass and say they don't make sense

#10 Posted by KangShinChul (25 posts) -
RyanD said:
"i think you are looking into this way too much. you can look at any games plotholes and analyze them under a magnifying glass and say they don't make sense"
Agreed.
#11 Posted by pause422 (6218 posts) -

RE's story started as nothing more than a joke when the first game was made. Now of course they try to make it seem like things lead into other things, but all the little things of history that come up during the game and connections from place to place..most of them are broken because they made up this shit out of no where. Honestly trying to put everything together for something like RE is just pointless.

#12 Posted by KangShinChul (25 posts) -
pause422 said:
"RE's story started as nothing more than a joke when the first game was made. Now of course they try to make it seem like things lead into other things, but all the little things of history that come up during the game and connections from place to place..most of them are broken because they made up this shit out of no where. Honestly trying to put everything together for something like RE is just pointless."
I don't think it's that broken. Clearly Capcom doesn't just make up the stories out of nowhere either. I mean, you did play the games, right?
#13 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -
RyanD said:
"i think you are looking into this way too much. you can look at any games plotholes and analyze them under a magnifying glass and say they don't make sense"
When I posted this message I was in the middle of the game. The game was uninteresting and boring, but not terrible.

Now I have finished the game, and all I have to say is that the game is horrible. The last two levels are broken. Simply broken.

As for the story, the problem is that Capcom tried to present it as something epic and serious. If the game was a joke and didn't take itself seriously then those things wouldn't be noticed. The story is not compatible with the way they presented it.

If you are going through that "serious" route then you should at least try to present something that can pass as a decent story.
#14 Edited by KangShinChul (25 posts) -
thiago said:
"RyanD said:
When I posted this message I was in the middle of the game. The game was uninteresting and boring, but not terrible. Now I have finished the game, and all I have to say is that the game is horrible. The last two levels are broken. Simply broken. As for the story, the problem is that Capcom tried to present it as something epic and serious. If the game was a joke and didn't take itself seriously then those things wouldn't be noticed. The story is not compatible with the way they presented it.If you are going through that "serious" route then you should at least try to present something that can pass as a decent story."
So, am I to understand that you were laughing hysterically at yourself when you were playing the previous games? I never really found them to be the comedic type of games, but hey, everyone's a critic I guess. I suppose Capcom could've had Jill throw a pie at Chris's face while Sheva and Josh smoke over sized cigars as they fly off into the sunrise.
#15 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -
KangShinChul said:
So, am I to understand that you were laughing hysterically at yourself when you were playing the previous games? I never really found them to be the comedic type of games, but hey, everyone's a critic I guess. I suppose Capcom could've had Jill throw a pie at Chris's face while Sheva and Josh smoke over sized cigars as they fly off into the sunrise."

Some games have such a ridiculous story and gameplay that they don't even try to be realistic in any way, not graphically and not story wise. Resident Evil started like an horror game with puzzles, and they kept doing games like that because it made sense at the time. But this time they tried to tie everything together in a major story as if it was supposed to make sense since the beginning and they had this "masterplan" laid out all the time.

Nobody ever took the earlier RE games too seriously. They should keep it that way.

#16 Edited by KangShinChul (25 posts) -
thiago said:
"KangShinChul said:
So, am I to understand that you were laughing hysterically at yourself when you were playing the previous games? I never really found them to be the comedic type of games, but hey, everyone's a critic I guess. I suppose Capcom could've had Jill throw a pie at Chris's face while Sheva and Josh smoke over sized cigars as they fly off into the sunrise."
Some games have such a ridiculous story and gameplay that they don't even try to be realistic in any way, not graphically and not story wise. Resident Evil started like an horror game with puzzles, and they kept doing games like that because it made sense at the time. But this time they tried to tie everything together in a major story as if it was supposed to make sense since the beginning and they had this "masterplan" laid out all the time.Nobody ever took the earlier RE games too seriously. They should keep it that way."
They were going to tie up the entire story sooner or later. You asking for the impossible. Plus, some people don't want to keep playing the franchise by its roots. They want something new. That's why RE4 was such a hit. Things change and time goes on, ya know. And I still don't see how the entire story isn't "serious"?  I mean, I'm curious as to what your "superb version" of the franchise is. I think you're being way too picky and fighting a losing battle here.
#17 Posted by thiago (666 posts) -
KangShinChul said:
They were going to tie up the entire story sooner or later. You asking for the impossible. Plus, some people don't want to keep playing the franchise by its roots. They want something new. That's why RE4 was such a hit. Things change and time goes on, ya know. And I still don't see how the entire story isn't "serious"?  I mean, I'm curious as to what your "superb version" of the franchise is. I think you're being way too picky and fighting a losing battle here."

Resident Evil 5 is a marketing gimmick, nothing more. Their attempt that "tying everything up" means nothing, because there was little to tie up. What they did is to use the same codebase from RE4, add some ludicrous cover mechanics that barely works, because the marketing department determined it was the "new big thing", and then tacked coop on it.

That's it, the complete description of RE5.

RE5 = RE4 - puzzles - atmosphere + action  + coop + retarded AI

The story is equally retarded as the previous games. The only difference is that in RE4 the gameplay was so good that you didn't care about a guy dressed like Napoleon or something like that. RE5 is so bad, in all aspects, that it heightens that already terrible story.
#18 Posted by KangShinChul (25 posts) -
thiago said:
"KangShinChul said:
They were going to tie up the entire story sooner or later. You asking for the impossible. Plus, some people don't want to keep playing the franchise by its roots. They want something new. That's why RE4 was such a hit. Things change and time goes on, ya know. And I still don't see how the entire story isn't "serious"?  I mean, I'm curious as to what your "superb version" of the franchise is. I think you're being way too picky and fighting a losing battle here."

Resident Evil 5 is a marketing gimmick, nothing more. Their attempt that "tying everything up" means nothing, because there was little to tie up. What they did is to use the same codebase from RE4, add some ludicrous cover mechanics that barely works, because the marketing department determined it was the "new big thing", and then tacked coop on it.

That's it, the complete description of RE5.

RE5 = RE4 - puzzles - atmosphere + action  + coop + retarded AIThe story is equally retarded as the previous games. The only difference is that in RE4 the gameplay was so good that you didn't care about a guy dressed like Napoleon or something like that. RE5 is so bad, in all aspects, that it heightens that already terrible story."

All video games are a marketing gimmick. You catch on pretty quick, huh?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.