Whats your take on the coop premise?

#1 Posted by gameshark5 (248 posts) -

Are you glad about having a partner backing you up 24/7 or are you angered by the fact that your babysitting the entire game?

#2 Posted by ReLoaDeD (47 posts) -

As long as the AI for your partner is done correctly, in the sense that she isn't playing better than you, but is still not a worthless waste of space, then I don't think I will mind it.

#3 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

That's plenty fine, but I don't care about the AI, as its meant to be played online with a friend

#4 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I love the idea of killing zombies with my friend... even though outbreak sucked big time... this one looks way way better

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I've heard that the AI is actually pretty decent, but being able to play through the whole game with a buddy online is awesome. I love that RE5 has online co-op because it will give us the slower zombie game-play, while Left 4 Dead gives us the fast paced "28 Days Later" zombies.

#6 Posted by RVonE (4683 posts) -

The AI seemed alright in the footage I saw. I just hope you can do local coop in this game.

#7 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
RVonE said:
"

The AI seemed alright in the footage I saw. I just hope you can do local coop in this game.

"
Based on how other games have gone about adding offline co-op...I would highly doubt seeing any such thing in RE5.
#8 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

There are a few implications for the online co-op I think:

1) It's not going to be very scary. Being alone is something of a hallmark with survival horror games. Having a buddy back you up will, at the end of the day, offset some of the suspense.

2) Thinking about the co-op experiences in Gears and elsewhere, it should be a ton of fun to play such a technically proficient title with a buddy. I know I'm stoked for the opportunity.

3) I would not worry about the AI too much. It could be clunky, but it worked ok in Resident Evil Zero. I think that's the archetype you'll want to think about.

#9 Posted by AtomicEdge (310 posts) -

Co-op with AI is generally really frustrating, but co-op with a friend is probably the most fun you can have with the main story of a game.

#10 Posted by Shadz (199 posts) -

I really, REALLY hope this game doesn't turn out to be like Army of Two.

#11 Edited by Justaddwater (291 posts) -

The co-op bits shown in the E3 video looked complete shit, wow im going to throw you across this gap and then you are going to open the door for me. Christ.

That said, im sure its great with a friend.

#12 Posted by ImHungryx10 (233 posts) -

Eh, I really like the online co-op, but then again I'm not alone which leaves the horror out of it.

#13 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -
Shadz said:
"I really, REALLY hope this game doesn't turn out to be like Army of Two.
"

Agreed.
#14 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

It looks pretty cool but again, I really dont want this to be like Army of Two

Hopefully the horror aspect will be the same I REALLY want to be scared! =D
#15 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
SonicFire said:
"There are a few implications for the online co-op I think:

1) It's not going to be very scary. Being alone is something of a hallmark with survival horror games. Having a buddy back you up will, at the end of the day, offset some of the suspense.

..."
I partially agree. I think that the scare factor will be brought down a bit, but if you're going through the level with a buddy and they are up ahead of you and you see something coming to get them that they can't see...it could be kind of scary and thrilling.

Also I don't like games like this because of the scary feel they have...so playing with a buddy will be quite nice for me :P
#16 Posted by gameshark5 (248 posts) -

when you had ashley i guess the suspense was still there due to the fact that you had to watch out for two peoples asses, but now that the person is loaded and his saving your ass, its not that frightening

#17 Posted by lawz (11 posts) -

Generally I like playing RE games on my own, just because there's that eerie vibe as you turn the corner or open a door when you're alone. Having said that, co-op with a friend is a lot of fun, I loved playing Gears co-op.

#18 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -
I'm excited for co-op, sounds like fun!
#19 Posted by Trapt1nw0nder (2 posts) -

these kind of games are meant to be played alone....it would be cool if there was Single player,and a Co-op Story mode...or maybe Single player having a partner 20-30% of the time,but not all the time.....you know what would be cool though? IF YOU CAN SWITCH FROM PLAYER TO PLAYER ANYTIME YOU PLEASE!!...This will really make it alot more stratigic and a ton of replay value.....damn,i should work for Capcom... <_<

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.