Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Xplay preview: You can move while shooting!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
    Here. At 2:30: "You don't necessarily have to be stationary anymore while you're shooting". While I'm very happy, I kinda feel bad for the anti-walk while shooting people...
    Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Makes it a bit more realistic, but at the same time it may get rid of the suspense.
    Nothing screams panic like having to stay still while hordes of zombies are coming after you ;)

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HazBazz
    Icemael said:
     While I'm very happy, I kinda feel bad for the anti-walk while shooting people..."
    Why? He said there would be a choice, play with the new controls or play with classic controls. Its a smart move in my opinion
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

Won't this rebalance the whole games difficulty? I think they're just referring to the fact you can strafe while you shoot?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icemael
    HazBazz said:
    "Icemael said:
     While I'm very happy, I kinda feel bad for the anti-walk while shooting people..."
    Why? He said there would be a choice, play with the new controls or play with classic controls. Its a smart move in my opinion"
    Yeah, but many of them don't even want it as an option because "it's destroying our beloved RE" or something.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
    Icemael said:
    "HazBazz said:
    "Icemael said:
    Why? He said there would be a choice, play with the new controls or play with classic controls. Its a smart move in my opinion"
    Yeah, but many of them don't even want it as an option because "it's destroying our beloved RE" or something."
    Am I totally missing the plot or didn't it get clarified at TGS that the new "Gears" controls only add in strafing. There was much deliberation beforehand over what it meant but I'm certain afterwards the press confirmed it was not so much of a change.

Not trying to sound like the RE(4) purist or anything but being rooted to the spot is a MASSIVE part of the suspense. It's all about finding an area where you can see the zombies and being as accurate as possible to pick them off.

If you could move while shooting it would retune the whole difficulty.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemael

I had't heard anything about moving while shooting until now. I'm guessing it's Dead Space-style, but I'm not sure.

get2sammybsaid:
    Not trying to sound like the RE(4) purist or anything but being rooted to the spot is a MASSIVE part of the suspense. It's all about finding an area where you can see the zombies and being as accurate as possible to pick them off.

If you could move while shooting it would retune the whole difficulty."
    They'll just improve enemy AI. It doesn't remove suspense, look at Dead Space. That game had moving while shooting, and there was a whole lot more suspense than RE4.
    Anyway, what mode are you people gonna play? I'm gonna start with the new controls to see how it works, and then use the classic on my second playthrough.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icemael

I'm sorry to say that the Capcom guy was mistaken, you can NOT walk and shoot...  I emailed them to check, and this was their response:

"Hello Icemael, Currently the game does not allow you to run & shoot at the same time. There has been no announcement on the gameplay changing to allow this.

CAPCOM Customer Support"
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By clubsandwich

fake, I played the demo already, you can only strafe.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Bulldog19892

Personally, I would welcome a horror game that allows you the conventions of a third person shooter or action game. The fear shouldn't come from poor controls, it should come from powerful enemies, scarce ammo/weaponry, spooky atmosphere. You know, good game design.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By clubsandwich
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "Personally, I would welcome a horror game that allows you the conventions of a third person shooter or action game. The fear shouldn't come from poor controls, it should come from powerful enemies, scarce ammo/weaponry, spooky atmosphere. You know, good game design."
    RE lost all that already, and the controls aren't poor, stop using that stupid argument.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    clubsandwich said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "Personally, I would welcome a horror game that allows you the conventions of a third person shooter or action game. The fear shouldn't come from poor controls, it should come from powerful enemies, scarce ammo/weaponry, spooky atmosphere. You know, good game design."
    RE lost all that already, and the controls aren't poor, stop using that stupid argument."
    True, the controls aren't poor. I'm currently playing through RE4 again, and strafing is really the only improvement that's needed. The reason why RE isn't scary anymore is that you're so damn powerful. There's no real fear when you've got a shotgun and plenty of ammo. The scariest part of RE4 was when you were playing as Ashley in the rooms with armors. Why? Because you were playing as a defenseless girl, not a guy with a shotgun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.