berva's Resident Evil 5 (Xbox 360) review

• berva wrote this review on .
  • berva has written a total of 24 reviews. The last one was for Dark Souls

Resident Evil 5 - Review

After playing that dreadful RE5 demo that was released a few months back, I wasn't expecting too much going into RE5. Well to my delight, that demo really isn't an indication of what RE5 is like, yes that part of the game is still a pain in the ass but the game is so much more.

RE5 is not a survival horror game which may disappoint some fans of previous RE games. It is an action/adventure/shooter that hits on many targets.

Visually you will struggle to find a better looking game out there with some of the most beautiful rendered environments and character models ever seen. The story of RE5 is ok, you play as Chris Redfield and you have been sent to Africa on assignment to investigate in incident that's occurred in the area. You meet up with your new 'partner" Sheva and from there things get interesting. Let's just say that your old partner 'Jill' plays a part in RE5 and fans of the series will like the story, those that havent played previous games might feel a little lost in parts.

The game is heavily focused on co-op gameplay but the game lends itself well to playing single player with the console doing a fine job of controlling Sheva.

The game is broken up into a total of 6 chapters, each chapter consisting of 2 to 3 parts. The game overall isn't that long and on the normal difficulty can be completed in roughly 8 hours.

Many people will find the fact that you can't shoot and run a little annoying especially as the game has gone into the action adventure rout and steers a little away for survival horror. This is a small issue however as soon as you accept that you cant shoot and run and adapt, the sooner you will be having fun with RE5.

This is a must play for all hardcore gamers, excellent level design, great sound and breathtaking visuals, RE5 is a heap of fun.

Gameplay = 7.5
Visuals = 9.5
Sound = 8
Game Now Score = 8.3/10

Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

First!  It's good you mentioned about the demo as I played the RE5 demo & the controls for trying to shoot the zombies were complete ass!  I didn't even make it out of the main room. I was sure this game was going to get a 1 star based on the lack of playability on the demo alone.

Posted by Gizmo

You didn't even make it out the main room?

Maybe you should be playing the Wii...

Posted by Lind_L_Taylor

Playing a Wii? I've finished Halo 3 on Legendary.  The controls just don't move properly. I don't care for a game where you have to fight the controls to get to the action. It feels unnatural.  It's like having to constantly aim, oh so slowly, for a head shot at a zombie. The arm barely moves. It's like moving a mouse at a slow speed. This is why I ask if they resolved the control issues or if this is something you have to learn via a learning curve.  If the latter, then I'll wait for the cost of the game to go down & learn it later.

Edited by Atlus

You know Taylor there was an option to change the looking speed. I´ve played the last RE over and over again, anda when i got to the demo of Resident Evil 5, i also thought the controls were kinda slow, but with a litle bit of "exploring", things changed significantly . So just go to the control menu and change the aiming speed to fast or fastest...believe me that will make a difference.