Do you think Chris and Leon will finally cross paths?

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4773 posts) -

From the trailer it seems like they are both in very different locations and while the thought of them teaming up together is like a dream for crazy RE fans like me, I just don't know if its gonna happen. I will add that if they do cross paths sometime in the game I'm gonna guess it will be near the end because of something they both find out in their respective locations from the trailer.  What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

Definitely. That'll be the whole point of having them together at last, for the first time. They're not going to buddy-cop them at the beginning of course because of how iconic a double-team it'll be; they'll possibly team just for the final boss battle or something. They're going to want to keep it buried at least somewhere close to the ending chapters, though.

If they really leave their confrontation as some final handshake at the end once it's all over, then express dynamite for CAPCOM.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

No. Cause they are the same person. Duh/ 

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

No. Cause they are the same person. Duh/

That'd be a nice twist. Wouldn't it, Zach?

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4773 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man oh my god… that is actually kind of amazing and depressing at the same time
#6 Posted by Marz (5677 posts) -

maybe in the last resident evil game or something. Though it'd be nice for Claire and Leon to have a reunion.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Sackmanjones said:
@The_Laughing_Man oh my god… that is actually kind of amazing and depressing at the same time
  
#8 Posted by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

@Marz said:

maybe in the last resident evil game or something. Though it'd be nice for Claire and Leon to have a reunion.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the last Resident Evil game - or as we know the series anywhoo. I mean for starters, Chris & Leon are finally, canonically, in the same game to break boulders and dodge lasers. And also there's the fact that there's a bloody lot of RE this year, you gaiz! There's Revelations for the 3DS, Operation Raccoon City in March, RE6 in November, and then there's also the two movies--Paul Anderson's latest piece of gob he's decided to whip up with his wife, and another CGI movie starring Leon--out this year, too.

You could say they've overloading all the RE because this could be the end of the current canon, and they'll then reboot the series. RE6 is also currently CAPCOM's biggest project ever, with 600+ people working on it at that; a pretty huge endeavour all on its own, and a suitable effort if they were planning to close the book for all the Chris' and Leons of the series. They'll no doubt support RE6 with plenty of DLC down the line--multiplayer stuff, since there's meant to be some 8 player competitive mode thing and a 6 player cooperative mode, and maybe some story additions, too--so as to stretch RE6 for as long as they can to keep it relevant in the eyes of the audience. Then reboot announcement after maybe a year or two once it's all washed up.

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3939 posts) -

They'll battle, Chris will try to use his muscles to defeat Leon but Leon will use his hair to knock Chris on his stupid muscley ass.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

They'll battle, Chris will try to use his muscles to defeat Leon but Leon will use his hair to knock Chris on his stupid muscley ass.

And then Barry rides out of the forest on a bear, pops Leon's head into pieces with a single stare, then processes Leon into meat for his undying selection of sandwiches.

#11 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

After you beat the game you'll unlock bro-op mode where all of Chris's moves get replaced with a punch command and Leon's inventory gets replaced with items that help him backflip. Some shared moves they will have include "brofist", "High five", "Heal me Bro" and "My old partner sucked".

#12 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

In the very last segment of the game, a boulder will fall on Leon (Well not directly on him, but it will trap his leg, like in every film ever). At this point, Chris will propel from a helicopter and with his melon-smuggling-biceps move the boulder away while Leon shoots Wesker in his explicitly exposed weak spot. And all that will happen in a volc- geyser.

RESIDENT EVIIL. SIIIIIIIX. (Best voice ever. Though I like how he pronounces FIIIIIIIVE longer than SIIIX).

#13 Posted by believer258 (12326 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Marz said:

maybe in the last resident evil game or something. Though it'd be nice for Claire and Leon to have a reunion.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the last Resident Evil game - or as we know the series anywhoo. I mean for starters, Chris & Leon are finally, canonically, in the same game to break boulders and dodge lasers. And also there's the fact that there's a bloody lot of RE this year, you gaiz! There's Revelations for the 3DS, Operation Raccoon City in March, RE6 in November, and then there's also the two movies--Paul Anderson's latest piece of gob he's decided to whip up with his wife, and another CGI movie starring Leon--out this year, too.

You could say they've overloading all the RE because this could be the end of the current canon, and they'll then reboot the series. RE6 is also currently CAPCOM's biggest project ever, with 600+ people working on it at that; a pretty huge endeavour all on its own, and a suitable effort if they were planning to close the book for all the Chris' and Leons of the series. They'll no doubt support RE6 with plenty of DLC down the line--multiplayer stuff, since there's meant to be some 8 player competitive mode thing and a 6 player cooperative mode, and maybe some story additions, too--so as to stretch RE6 for as long as they can to keep it relevant in the eyes of the audience. Then reboot announcement after maybe a year or two once it's all washed up.

I've been playing RE5 and recently got 4, though I haven't gotten to play 4 yet, and I've just been thinking this. The series' story was laughable at first, but now it's a huge tangle of... uh... stuff that's just not that good.

I think that a complete reboot with similar elements but a better-done story would do the series good, especially if they used RE4 or 5's control scheme but kept suspense and horror at a high and supplies and resources at a low. Kind of like survival horror is supposed to be. I know Revelations tried to do this, but as far as I've heard, there's almost always an AI controlled partner with you and that defeats the whole purpose of "horror". That's another thing that I'd like to see cut out - having a co-op partner all the time. It's great fun in RE5 but it severely hurts the single player experience. Why can't that just be delegated to spin off games only?

#14 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3939 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

They'll battle, Chris will try to use his muscles to defeat Leon but Leon will use his hair to knock Chris on his stupid muscley ass.

And then Barry rides out of the forest on a bear, pops Leon's head into pieces with a single stare, then processes Leon into meat for his undying selection of sandwiches.

I'd play the crap outta that game.
#15 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

@believer258: Having a partner was not fun in Resident Evil 5, at least that's what I've experienced in my solo play (Sheva and inventory, need I say more?).

My thoughts on the reboot: You may say/claim/think that story is not the best ever and it gets more and more disturbingly twisted with each instalment (I haven't had the pleasure to play all the games, but I did try reading it on Resident Evil wiki and one timeline alone confused the hell out of me), but do you guys realize what they're throwing away if they do go down this path? I admit, I don't know much about Resident Evil, but characters alone will be hard to replace, and then there are things like Umbrella and entire events around the world and I don't know what else.

Again, I'm just talking from what I've read on the wiki, so I might be wrong here. But it seemed to me that this is quite a big legacy they're leaving behind.

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5593 posts) -

You mean cross streams or cross dicks?

#17 Edited by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Marz said:

maybe in the last resident evil game or something. Though it'd be nice for Claire and Leon to have a reunion.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the last Resident Evil game - or as we know the series anywhoo. I mean for starters, Chris & Leon are finally, canonically, in the same game to break boulders and dodge lasers. And also there's the fact that there's a bloody lot of RE this year, you gaiz! There's Revelations for the 3DS, Operation Raccoon City in March, RE6 in November, and then there's also the two movies--Paul Anderson's latest piece of gob he's decided to whip up with his wife, and another CGI movie starring Leon--out this year, too.

You could say they've overloading all the RE because this could be the end of the current canon, and they'll then reboot the series. RE6 is also currently CAPCOM's biggest project ever, with 600+ people working on it at that; a pretty huge endeavour all on its own, and a suitable effort if they were planning to close the book for all the Chris' and Leons of the series. They'll no doubt support RE6 with plenty of DLC down the line--multiplayer stuff, since there's meant to be some 8 player competitive mode thing and a 6 player cooperative mode, and maybe some story additions, too--so as to stretch RE6 for as long as they can to keep it relevant in the eyes of the audience. Then reboot announcement after maybe a year or two once it's all washed up.

I've been playing RE5 and recently got 4, though I haven't gotten to play 4 yet, and I've just been thinking this. The series' story was laughable at first, but now it's a huge tangle of... uh... stuff that's just not that good.

I think that a complete reboot with similar elements but a better-done story would do the series good, especially if they used RE4 or 5's control scheme but kept suspense and horror at a high and supplies and resources at a low. Kind of like survival horror is supposed to be. I know Revelations tried to do this, but as far as I've heard, there's almost always an AI controlled partner with you and that defeats the whole purpose of "horror". That's another thing that I'd like to see cut out - having a co-op partner all the time. It's great fun in RE5 but it severely hurts the single player experience. Why can't that just be delegated to spin off games only?

The chronology went down a slope of shite after RE4. And I'm certainly not going to state that the RE story beforehand was like the lost script of Shakespeare, but... it was a little more grounded and believable in a ''science gone really, really mad'' kind of way. RE4 twisted everything by introducing actual bloody monsters and parasites--something that is natural to the world, instead of stuff created synthetically, man playing God that type of thing. And then RE5 was just a joke all around; highly predictable, there was more backstory exposition than there was an actual story, and it acted as a terrible send off for Wesker at that.

Though I too (as if it wasn't obvious already with my ramblings across the thread) would sorely love to play a fucking RE by myself again. But I wouldn't be against a reboot, despite still being attached to some characters, and there's also a fair few loose threads left hangin' (though they may all consequently be wound up in RE6), because even I think things are so messy at this point.

@valrog said:

@believer258: Having a partner was not fun in Resident Evil 5, at least that's what I've experienced in my solo play (Sheva and inventory, need I say more?).

My thoughts on the reboot: You may say/claim/think that story is not the best ever and it gets more and more disturbingly twisted with each instalment (I haven't had the pleasure to play all the games, but I did try reading it on Resident Evil wiki and one timeline alone confused the hell out of me), but do you guys realize what they're throwing away if they do go down this path? I admit, I don't know much about Resident Evil, but characters alone will be hard to replace, and then there are things like Umbrella and entire events around the world and I don't know what else.

Again, I'm just talking from what I've read on the wiki, so I might be wrong here. But it seemed to me that this is quite a big legacy they're leaving behind.

The storyline is insanely convoluted to be sure, and the characters, for as paper-thin as they be, are rather iconic at this point. But I dunno, I just hope CAPCOM will actually take a chance and introduce a new setting, a new cast, a new evil, a new resident and attempt to reinvent the survival-horror shlick for the 3rd time. RE is still a massive brand and holds a lot of fans, but I think the mere name of ''Resident Evil''--without any subtitle, without any number, just back to the basics--will still all the same leave fans excited all over again.

#18 Posted by believer258 (12326 posts) -

@valrog said:

@believer258: Having a partner was not fun in Resident Evil 5, at least that's what I've experienced in my solo play (Sheva and inventory, need I say more?).

Well, it's true that the AI Sheva was annoying at times. I didn't hate her, per se, but after playing through the game co-op I'll have a hard time ever just sitting down and playing it single player again. This is one of the best games to demonstrate why co-op should be an option and not something forced, especially with an AI.

That said, if you own this game and haven't played it co-op then you're missing out on a real treat. Once two people really get into the game, it's a real blast to play. My problem is that the co-op comes at the expense of the single player experience, which is why I suggested that Capcom make some co-op games that are not the main, must play games.

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4773 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@Sackmanjones said:
@The_Laughing_Man oh my god… that is actually kind of amazing and depressing at the same time
  
Wait.. it all makes sense now... When Chris walked down this hallway he started having one of his breakdowns, turning him into his alter ego, Leon. Chris however noticed what was happening and tried to stop by literally slamming his face into the ground over and over and over and over....... and over. He managed to stop it until they were saved and brought down to Raccoon city. This is where the full ego of Leon took over and enlisted into the police force that very night.... everything is solved now, the story has concluded. (Closes all game manuals)   
 

 
...except now we must ask ourselves, is Claire actually real? or was it part of Chris's mind? 
 
(Opens all game manuals)
#20 Posted by RebornLS (30 posts) -

id assume they already have.

#21 Posted by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

@RebornLS said:

id assume they already have.

Nah, not officially. And there's only been the one time where they starred in the same game from a non-canon standpoint at that. Resident Evil 2: Leon's, of course, one of the main protagonists, and Chris is an unlockable character for this Battle Game minigame in certain ports of RE2.

#22 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

Leon is going to be badass, while Chris stands in the corner and punches boulders.

#23 Posted by RebornLS (30 posts) -

@Abyssfull:

no, i meant chris had time date, go to the shootin range with his sister.(after the events in RE:CV) i would'nt be surprised if he personaly thanked the dude who saved his sisters life and it capcom throws it in a dairy, picture or report file in RE6.

#24 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

Capcom has said as much didn't they?

#25 Posted by Sackmanjones (4773 posts) -
@CounterShock I haven't seen anything that confirms but just putting them both in the game is telling
#26 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

Could've sworn when all the RE6 info came out, that they said that all three characters cross paths at some point.

#27 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

They'll battle, Chris will try to use his muscles to defeat Leon but Leon will use his hair to knock Chris on his stupid muscley ass.

And then Barry rides out of the forest on a bear, pops Leon's head into pieces with a single stare, then processes Leon into meat for his undying selection of sandwiches.

Nothing in the universe is stronger than Leon's hair dude, would be cool to see a Chris & Leon team though. Just imagine the awesome dialogue those two would have!

#28 Posted by IBurningStar (2191 posts) -

If Chris and Leon don't team up at some point then I just have to ask the question "What was the point of making this game?" I mean, that is the most obvious thing that you have to do here. Item number one on that check list is Leon and Chris bro out and shoot guns. I would really like for this game to be the fan service game and go the MGS4 route of bringing fucking everybody back. I want Rebecca to be playable in the game proper and not just the Mercenaries. Rebecca is my favorite character and I have no idea why. Bring back Carlos and shoot him in the fucking head. Let this one wrap up any lingering plot threads like the Leon and Ada relationship and then call it a day. 
 
After that do a semi reboot of the series. Don't just start over with a total blank slate, but start a new story with pretty much zero connection to any of the previous games. Don't completely discard the old cast, but demote them to more support like roles.

#29 Posted by bartok (2594 posts) -

So whatever happened to Barry Burton from the first RE?

#30 Posted by N7 (3723 posts) -
@CounterShock said:

Could've sworn when all the RE6 info came out, that they said that all three characters cross paths at some point.

Hence the 6 player co-op.
 
That's right. Capcom is stepping up what we know of cooperative cooperation. With Resident Evil 6 we are proud to introduce HARDCORE DYNAMIC COOPERATIVE ACTION HYBRID. Each mission starts out with just two players(THAT'S RIGHT! TWO!) but then increases one by one to suit the needs of the INTENSE ACTION COMBAT SURVIVAL HORROR ACTION HYBRID COOPERATION DYNAMIC.
 
RESIDENT EVIL 6: YOU THING YOU KNOW HORROW, THING AGAIN.
#31 Posted by overnow (305 posts) -

I could see them crossing paths in a cutscene but probably not in actual gameplay, how would you decide which one the player plays as.

#32 Edited by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

@bartok said:

So whatever happened to Barry Burton from the first RE?

Nothing much. He apparently moved to Canada with his family after Raccoon City's destruction (given how he already looks like a lumberjack he'll certainly fit right in) to canuck it up like a boss and that's about it. There's been no word as to whether he even joined the BSAA alongside Chris & Jill or anything like that; along with a startling amount of other characters, he's primarily just been written off for the most part. CAPCOM obviously are at least acknowledging his existence with his mercenary appearances, but from a story perspective there's not been a single mention post RE3.

EDIT: Though on that nohopeleft.com thing, there was a post by a B.Burton... of course that could of just been some random fellow Burton enthusiast posting for the hell of it.

#33 Posted by Sackmanjones (4773 posts) -
@IBurningStar
If Chris and Leon don't team up at some point then I just have to ask the question "What was the point of making this game?" I mean, that is the most obvious thing that you have to do here. Item number one on that check list is Leon and Chris bro out and shoot guns. I would really like for this game to be the fan service game and go the MGS4 route of bringing fucking everybody back. I want Rebecca to be playable in the game proper and not just the Mercenaries. Rebecca is my favorite character and I have no idea why. Bring back Carlos and shoot him in the fucking head. Let this one wrap up any lingering plot threads like the Leon and Ada relationship and then call it a day. 
 
After that do a semi reboot of the series. Don't just start over with a total blank slate, but start a new story with pretty much zero connection to any of the previous games. Don't completely discard the old cast, but demote them to more support like roles.
I think your right. Like I said in an earlier post I'm thinking we see every chacter fans care about thought the game
#34 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

They'll battle, Chris will try to use his muscles to defeat Leon but Leon will use his hair to knock Chris on his stupid muscley ass.

This is so goddamn funny. Holy shit.

#35 Posted by El_Galant (55 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: I think this game is going to be great if you can finally shoot & MOVE at the same time! RE4 was my favorite game ever until recently...and yes I believe they will prob fight the end boss together like Dante and Virgil in DMC 3....now that would be awesome...

#36 Posted by metalsnakezero (2367 posts) -

From the latest trailer, Chris and Leon will have some clashing ideas. Which means Chris vs Leon fight :D

#37 Posted by Twinsun (505 posts) -

They already do in my slash fic.

#38 Edited by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

should answer your question

#39 Edited by Yummylee (22682 posts) -

@SkyTown_Drifts: Nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce!!

Oh god damn... so much to take in X_X. So as expected, that is Sherry Birkin, mysterious ginger guy isn't Hunk (duh) or Steve Burnside (huh) but Wesker's kid... so then not Alex either since he was supposed to be his brother. Although considering he's likely cloned, who knows which relationship status stands for what... Chris and Leon butting heads--YES I NEED MORE!

And they set the release date forward to October?? This is too much... I need to go get me my coffee first.

#40 Posted by Grillbar (1941 posts) -

honestly i don't care even though im going to play it and properly somewhat enjoy it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.