I Can't Figure Out Brad...

  • 83 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4798 posts) -

#TEAMBRAD FOR LIFE MOTHERFUCKAS

#52 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

Every single time I see one of these posts I think about how hard it would be to play most games while having a full on conversation with other people. Do you guys not get how difficult it can be.

#53 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@voltan said:

I would love to see you play on camera and talk at the same time. Then we would see how good you are.

I bet I could not hit the home button and dodge every now and then.

#54 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

@algertman said:

...On the Quicklook.

Is Brad actually that bad or was he playing horribly on purpose? Did he not ever think to look at the menus to see what the controls were? It looks like at the end he deliberately misses shooting the dog. That quick look is bizarre. He claims to have dumped, I think, 12+ hours in it and he's playing like he never touched the game.

This isn't about the quality of the game. This is about the Quick Look.

After making no less than 10 comments on the Quick Look, you went and made this thread. That's really desperate, man. Now don't go look at the Gamespot review or you might have a heart attack. Ha ! Ha !

Oh man.

#55 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Grissefar said:

@algertman said:

...On the Quicklook.

Is Brad actually that bad or was he playing horribly on purpose? Did he not ever think to look at the menus to see what the controls were? It looks like at the end he deliberately misses shooting the dog. That quick look is bizarre. He claims to have dumped, I think, 12+ hours in it and he's playing like he never touched the game.

This isn't about the quality of the game. This is about the Quick Look.

After making no less than 10 comments on the Quick Look, you went and made this thread. That's really desperate, man. Now don't go look at the Gamespot review or you might have a heart attack. Ha ! Ha !

Oh man.

Nobody cares about Gamespot. I'm asking a straight forward question

Is Brad really that bad or is he doing it on purpose?

#56 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5088 posts) -

@wjb said:

He's getting paid off. It's a conspiracy.

He got 1,000 Brad Bucks, which is equivalent of like 100,000$.

Also, fuck this thread.

#57 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@algertman said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Grissefar said:

@algertman said:

...On the Quicklook.

Is Brad actually that bad or was he playing horribly on purpose? Did he not ever think to look at the menus to see what the controls were? It looks like at the end he deliberately misses shooting the dog. That quick look is bizarre. He claims to have dumped, I think, 12+ hours in it and he's playing like he never touched the game.

This isn't about the quality of the game. This is about the Quick Look.

After making no less than 10 comments on the Quick Look, you went and made this thread. That's really desperate, man. Now don't go look at the Gamespot review or you might have a heart attack. Ha ! Ha !

Oh man.

Nobody cares about Gamespot. I'm asking a straight forward question

Is Brad really that bad or is he doing it on purpose?

That's funny man, coming from the guy who asked:

@algertman said:

You people do know D'toid reviews are bought right?

in regards to the RE6 review. C'mon man it's getting kind of awkward I think. Just the thought of someone giving sites money for bad reviews in order to hurt Capcom is insane, but so is your logic. Ha ! Ha !

#58 Posted by PolygonSlayer (432 posts) -

@algertman: Yeah, he is doing it all on purpose to fool you, and just you actually. It's all a bit conspiracy. In fact, you ever seen the movie The Trueman Show? Everyone on the Giantbomb forum is in on it.

Answer to your question is neither of your options is my guess. He isn't bad at games and he is not doing it on purpose. I would guess playing games while talking to someone else, trying to show off parts of it, then getting annoyed and being recorded is a good combo for things not coming off playing like a pro. Besides.. RE6 kinda looks like crap, and I enjoyed both RE4 and 5 a lot. Bums me out.

#59 Edited by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Have you played this game, its fucking terrible and really hard work to play, I can see exactly why he got into the problems that he did and I understand his opinions too.

I played the two demos and I had hardly any problems with the controls. Stuff that Brad complains about on the bombcast such as diving backwards etc. was really easy and intuitively to execute.

Apparently if you know what you're doing, the game plays just fine and the action flows more dynamically than in most 3rd person shooters. I can fully understand the criticism of janky and intrusive QTEs but apart from that, the movement and the controls - while not being perfect - are the best in any RE game yet in my opinion:

#60 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

It wasn't that Brad never figured out the control. He clearly states that he was annoyed that he had to figure them out himself.

#61 Posted by BSw (256 posts) -

@algertman said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Grissefar said:

@algertman said:

...On the Quicklook.

Is Brad actually that bad or was he playing horribly on purpose? Did he not ever think to look at the menus to see what the controls were? It looks like at the end he deliberately misses shooting the dog. That quick look is bizarre. He claims to have dumped, I think, 12+ hours in it and he's playing like he never touched the game.

This isn't about the quality of the game. This is about the Quick Look.

After making no less than 10 comments on the Quick Look, you went and made this thread. That's really desperate, man. Now don't go look at the Gamespot review or you might have a heart attack. Ha ! Ha !

Oh man.

Nobody cares about Gamespot. I'm asking a straight forward question

Is Brad really that bad or is he doing it on purpose?

You're being very persistent here, but alright, yes, he's doing it on purpose. This is for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, if one of the team's members gaming performance is visibly less than that of the other members, it will elevate their perceived gaming performance by the users of this website, thereby increasing the overall perceived quality of the team. Furthermore, this leads away from people complaining about these other members once they do make an accidental mistake, because in comparison to Brad, it's really not that bad. Therefore, Brad also functions as a lighting rod for these guys.

Secondly, and more specifically related to RE6, Giant Bomb has a contract with a couple of gaming companies (amongst others Double Fine), and receives additional income from these companies if sales go up. This not only requires them to valuate their games highly in Quick Looks, reviews, etc., but also to downplay and badmouth certain games from other developers. Gamers can only spend so m uch on games, and thus have to make choices. Since the users of this website are (as are all humans) fairly easily influenced, Giant Bomb can steer them towards buying certain games, and keeping certain games from being bought. You can look it up: games from companies with which Giant Bomb has these contract are hardly ever played or reviewed by Brad.

Thirdly, as you might have noticed if you are a longtime user of the Giant Bomb website, the team behind the website is composed of men that are not afraid to provoke each other, as well as the users of their service. Specifically Jeff has mentioned a couple of times during different Bombcasts that he greatly enjoys seeing users get worked up over seemingly trivial things, such as (again amongst others things) frustration over (mainly) Brad's way of playing games. It's an integral part of Giant Bomb.

Fourthly and finally, because, you know, why not?

I hope this answers your question!

Online
#62 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@BSw: In b4 someone tries to use this post as evidence that Giant Bomb is bullshit and crooked, thereby once again proving Poe's Law and the fact that people are really stupid.

#63 Posted by BSw (256 posts) -

@iAmJohn: You make a good point, I forgot about the evidence. It can all be found here.

Online
#64 Posted by Foxillusion (151 posts) -

It just looked like he was dumping on the dog and not really aiming anymore just out of frustration at the whole thing.

He's been doing this for a while, he's fine at video games. If things go that poorly and he gets that frustrated with it then I'd be nervous to see how terribly I'd do and how annoyed I'd get.

If you wanna play that shit, good luck man...

#65 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6103 posts) -

@BSw said:

@algertman said:

Really? Press and journalism are unrelated? Could have fooled me.

Brad doesn't have a Journalism degree.

@TheVideoHustler said:

I don't think that Brad is as "God awful" as everyone believes.

A lot of people play like him, Hell I know that I'm not Jeff when it comes to shooters. I'm fucking terrible, especially online.

Jeff is more fucking mediocre than fucking terrible, but certainly not fucking good.

#66 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@BSw said:

@algertman said:

Really? Press and journalism are unrelated? Could have fooled me.

Brad doesn't have a Journalism degree.

He has an English degree, which is arguably better. :y

#67 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6103 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

He has an English degree, which is arguably better. :y

No, equally useless; though ultimately almost every humanities degree is useless these days.

#68 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: Oh I see, so you don't have a point other than talking shit for no real reason. Carry on.

#69 Posted by The_Nubster (2353 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

@BSw said:

@algertman said:

Really? Press and journalism are unrelated? Could have fooled me.

Brad doesn't have a Journalism degree.

He has an English degree, which is arguably better. :y

I'd say so, at least for the purposes of this job. His words fit together very well, he knows how to express his emotions and inject personality into his writing, and there's rarely anything superfluous about his writing. Plus he knows a lot of bitchin' ass words.

#70 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

@BSw said:

@algertman said:

Really? Press and journalism are unrelated? Could have fooled me.

Brad doesn't have a Journalism degree.

He has an English degree, which is arguably better. :y

I'd say so, at least for the purposes of this job. His words fit together very well, he knows how to express his emotions and inject personality into his writing, and there's rarely anything superfluous about his writing. Plus he knows a lot of bitchin' ass words.

That's the difference, really. A journalism degree teaches you how to report; an English degree teaches you how to write.

But I was an English major, so of course I'd say that.
#71 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6103 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Fredchuckdave: Oh I see, so you don't have a point other than talking shit for no real reason. Carry on.

Can't handle reality? I'm not insulting people for having degrees that don't quickly lead to jobs, most of the time they would have led to jobs at the time they started the program and mostly got screwed by economic decay in the interim. Just because a degree's useless for practical purposes doesn't mean it's useless for "personal growth" shall we say. I took Philosophy courses, and I would say they were some of the most difficult and interesting courses that I had (and the books weren't atrocious to boot), though what use that will have who can say.

@The_Nubster said:

He's a mid-level writer, which for a "games journalist" is above average I suppose. Giant Bomb's strength is their videos, rarely has anything in text impressed me all that much. His vocabulary seems to be "okay" I suppose, but he does have a decent voice to go along with the halfway decent vocabulary; so that's something.

#72 Posted by avidwriter (665 posts) -

I don't recall any "cringe-worthy" gameplay. I think that controls just suck. That and all the bad reviews going out about the same I'd say it's the game.

#73 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6103 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@The_Nubster said:

That's the difference, really. A journalism degree teaches you how to report; an English degree teaches you how to write.

But I was an English major, so of course I'd say that.

Now this is just a bizarre thing to say, are you buying into the educational system here? Do you believe society functions appropriately in this regard, or isn't there something inherently chaotic in the design of jobs themselves and how one gets them in a Capitalist system; and an educational system that relies on hundreds of thousands of different viewpoints and teachers and thus hundreds of thousands of different experiences for the student. Now I realize it might be hard to dig a little deeper and not just assume your socialization will carry everything; but pure faith in the system is a foolish thing to be sure.

From reading solid writers like Joe Posnanski I gather that writing is something that develops over time and has little to do with past educational experiences. The best way to learn how to write is to either learn from someone who is an exceptional writer or to write an immense amount of material yourself. Cormac McCarthy, the greatest living author, was directly influenced by William Faulkner. Now there are rarely writing "clubs" of any degree of exclusivity anymore, so it might be difficult to get in contact with a particularly proficient and prolific writer; but you could at least try.

#74 Posted by FourWude (2245 posts) -

Hey there ain't no Brad without bad. Breaking Brad. That's why they call it doing a Brad.

#75 Edited by believer258 (12177 posts) -

For a game where multiple credible people have complained about it controlling like shit, he seemed to be doing pretty well. Besides, the game clearly illustrated itself as having problems several times during that Quick Look.

EDIT: Also, anyone who can beat Mile High Club on Veteran and Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence is not a bad gamer. That doesn't make you a great gamer, but Brad is not bad at games. What he's not especially great at is trying to explain a game and play it at the same time which, surprise! is a skill seemingly belonging to Jeff and Jeff alone. Not many of you can satisfactorily do that.

#76 Posted by eccentrix (1613 posts) -

I agree with the guy talking about Brad's playing being evidence of capitalism's corruption of society.

#77 Edited by HeLooksAngry (1 posts) -

@aceofspudz said:

I think Brad just didn't care about Resident Evil 6, and didn't attach any value to trying to do well because he was already sick of it.

@Nightriff said:

Just watched the QL, he was fine, he doesn't enjoy playing the game and he is also talking to people, it is hard to talk about a game while you are playing it.

@Foxillusion said:

It just looked like he was dumping on the dog and not really aiming anymore just out of frustration at the whole thing.

He's been doing this for a while, he's fine at video games. If things go that poorly and he gets that frustrated with it then I'd be nervous to see how terribly I'd do and how annoyed I'd get.

If you wanna play that shit, good luck man...

Not really paying attention to the conspiracy theory stuff, but I feel these posts touch on the various reasons regarding any perceived lack of skill in the quick look.

I've seen Brad play enough to know he's not bad at video games. This sort of thing is always present when any of the GB crew have to QL a game that they have already recognized as being bad/having problems.

#78 Posted by Vashyron (220 posts) -

@HeLooksAngry said:

Not really paying attention to the conspiracy theory stuff, but I feel these posts touch on the various reasons regarding any perceived lack of skill in the quick look.

I've seen Brad play enough to know he's not bad at video games. This sort of thing is always present when any of the GB crew have to QL a game that they have already recognized as being bad/having problems.

It certainly doesn't help when you are pissed and frustrated with a game, for whatever reason, because everytime something doesn't go the way you want it to or think it should, you just get more frustrated and more pissed and thus, continue to play worse and worse.

#79 Posted by CornBREDX (5965 posts) -
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
IM SO GOOD AT PLAYING VIDYA GAMES OH MY GOD I CANT BELIEVE IT WHEN SOMEONE DOESNT PLAY AS WELL AS I DO.  HOLY SHIT THEY SHOULD HIRE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  I WOULDVE SPENT 30 HOUR PLAYING RESIDENT EVIL 6.    This is what I read whenever people criticize Brad on how he plays video games.  
This ended the thread for me.  
Not as subtle as I would've probably been in fear of the backlash I usually get but I agree, sir. Me too.
#80 Posted by MrSlapHappy (187 posts) -

@ajamafalous: The amount of stupid in this thread and you single out the butt end of my statement? What gives?

#81 Posted by 1st2die (11 posts) -

I blame the game. The game is just so janky when it comes to actually playing it.

When Brad was playing it with others to watch. The things that irritate ANY GAMER began to erupt. Brad trying his hardest to be compotent but the GAME itself is really bad when it comes to playing it.

The issue of him missing the dog happens to ALL OF US! When you play a game for HOURS and HOURS(especially a bad one at that) you tend to start playing poorly because you say "man forget this game."

I remember times in Lollipop Chainsaw and Duke Nukem Forever that I was playing terribly but that was because I just had enough of the game's BS.

#82 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

The controls are kinda bad. It's also that thing when you are playing, people tend to...you know...make mistakes sometimes. It does happen. Nothing wrong with what he did. :) Considering i hated the game after enjoying it a few hours in suddenly turned me into a horrid player. More when when it feels like not everyone aims the same.

#83 Posted by JBrighty (80 posts) -

being bad at games leads most of the time to disliking them, and there he gave a bad impression about a game thats really ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.