Official Resident Evil 6 impressions thread

• 133 results
#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

The forums here have been absolutely swarmed with people saying they love/hate the game, asking of its good or bad and what not. I figured I could just make a universal impression thread and stop these mini threads that all end up the same exact way. Hopefully the mods agree and if not I guess this can be locked.  Anyway here are my impressions that I have posted previously... Feel free to ask any questions you have and hopefully someone can answer it for you.

Just got done playing 3 hours of the campaign ( 1 of Chris and 2 with leon). 
So far I am definitely enjoying the game although I died a shit ton with Leon playin on veteran so Im gonna probably tone it down a notch. Although the end of Leon's chapter one is some of the most tense gameplay I've had in while, nearly falling out of my chair when shit went from bad to worse.  

#2 Edited by GunstarRed (5093 posts) -

I have played 4/5 chapters of Chris, 3/5 of chapters Jake and 1/5 chapters of Leon.

I hate, HATE this game. I'm incredibly shocked at my own reaction to it. I often find myself saying "it can't be that bad" when a ton of people are negative about a game, movie etc. I'm finding it hard seeing how anyone can defend a lot of decisions that were made, but hey if you like it that's cool.

I held off playing any of Leon's campaign till I had done a huge chunk of the action-y stuff. I think chapter 1 of his story is just as bad, if not worse because it seems like a ton of wasted potential.

I like a bunch of the cutscenes though, especially any involving Jake and Sherry, there's a nice chemistry between the two.

Fuck the stealth section in the cave.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I've just left the subway with Leon and Helana, so far it's been ok. It's not been as bad as the guys have made out, but I do find the game to so far be dull. The story also has made no sense. It looks nice though and has good atmosphere, so far it's alright. Not sure if its 20 hours of alright.

#4 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Game is a let down when compared to 4, but it's also the best RE since then.

#5 Edited by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx

Well frankly it's hard to beat 4 because that game is one of the best games ever made in my opinion
#6 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1719 posts) -

I've played a few hours so far. Started with Jake's campaign, since that's the the one I'm least interested in. I wanted to get it out of the way first. But man...this game is pretty fucking bad. It just plays like absolute shit in almost every way. Every time I start enjoying it even a little, something just takes me right out of it and pulls me back to the reality that this is kind of awful. There are so many poor design choices in just the relatively little amount of time I've put into it that I don't know where to begin. I find myself thinking "How the hell could anyone think this was a good idea?" way more often than I would like. I'm definitely going to see it through to the end, because as someone who considered themselves a massive RE fan, I think I owe it to myself in some weird way.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Better than Revelations in your opinion then? Or have you not played it?

#8 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Is it worse than the movies?

#9 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

i like it chris's campaign starts off shit but turns good in chapter 3. mercenaries mode is alot of fun!!

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

So I just got to a part in the latter half of Chapter 2 of Leon and man some shit goes down. I don't know why Brad was saying Leon's was the worst because I'm having by far the most fun with Leon's it feels a lot like RE4 to me. Its not scary but it sure leaves you with a sense of tension. The only thing about Leon's is man..his chapters so far are REALLY long.

#11 Posted by ProlificShadow (399 posts) -

I've only played through most of Leon's campaign, but so far I really don't see what people hate so much about it. Sure, there are camera issues, lots of QTE's, and the shooting isn't quite as satisfying as I'd like it to be. But all of those complaints could be applied to almost every Resident Evil game ever made. Granted, I haven't played either of the other campaigns, which seem to be getting a lot more hate, but I just don't get why the hate is so extreme. No, it isn't survival horror, but the RE games haven't been survival horror since RE3. So...I don't know why people continue to be surprised by that. Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far, regardless of it's issues. Mercenaries is always fun as well.

Sidenote, I am playing it all co-op with a buddy, so I can't talk about the AI.

#12 Posted by Iron_Guard (16 posts) -

It's pretty terrible; I'm about 10 hours in and don't feel compelled to play a minute more. Watch the Quicklook or listen to the Bombcast they pretty much touch on why it's so bad but in my opinion I think they're giving it more credit than it deserves. So happy I didn't have to pay for it.

#13 Posted by vikingdeath1 (945 posts) -

3/5 Leon, 2/5 Chris & Jake complete and I actually really like it! Sure, Fuck that stealth section with Jake, Chris is a bad GoW, and some of the controls no Camera are just shit. But playin on easy had allowed me to learn the control twitches and alot of the enemies can be dodged with that roll that brad apparently didn't notice somehow... Game is alright!

#14 Posted by Master_Prophet (73 posts) -

I've enjoyed the hell out of the game, and I think it is pretty fantastic. The stories in any of the Resident Evil games have always been campy and nonsensical, so I have no hate for the story here. The biggest confusions that I have about the hate on this game are as follows:

1. Survival Horror elements: We've had this argument since the last Resident Evil iteration, and what bothers me is that I've only played through about 3/5's of Leon's campaign, so I can't speak for Chris or Jake's campaign, but Leon offers up more of a horror element then I've seen since Resident Evil Code: Veronica. Sure, the survival aspects aren't really here, but this series has abandoned that for a long time now.

2. Scarce ammo???? This hasn't been a problem with me at all, but I don't understand the critics making this complaint. Ammo hasn't become an issue at all for me, between the four weapons I carry now, I always have ammo for any of them.

3. CO OP? Literally none of the critics played this game cooperatively. If this is what Resident Evil 5 was going for, and even more so with 6, I don't understand why anyone would attempt to play this game by themselves. The game is a fantastic coop experience, and I've enjoyed every moment I've played thus far.

4. Melee trouble? I'll admit, I've had a sequence or two where I haven't seen a QTE pop up, but other then that any QTE moment has worked flawlessly for me, and I think melee combat is much improved over RE5 here. Sure, some of the enemies in this game take a few hits to go down, hence why you have to level up some of your skills. I don't understand how literally every negative review of this game fails to mention anything about the skill system.

So for me, I've enjoyed the game. Sure, it has quirks here and there, BUT IT IS RESIDENT EVIL. Come on people!

#15 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx

Well frankly it's had to beat 4 because that game is one of the best games ever made in my opinion

i don't know how people can say that with a straight face

@ProlificShadow said:

but the RE games haven't been survival horror since RE3.

Wait, so Code Veronica was what, a fighting game?

#16 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

So I just got to a part in the latter half of Chapter 2 of Leon and man some shit goes down. I don't know why Brad was saying Leon's was the worst because I'm having by far the most fun with Leon's it feels a lot like RE4 to me. Its not scary but it sure leaves you with a sense of tension. The only thing about Leon's is man..his chapters so far are REALLY long.

How long did it take you to complete chapter 1? I took 2 1/2 hours and I'm curious if I'm just really bad.

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@Sooty: You can ask plenty of people that believe the same thing.
#18 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

resident evil 6 isnt perfect but it doesnt deserve this level of hate

#19 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

That

@Master_Prophet said:

2. Scarce ammo???? This hasn't been a problem with me at all, but I don't understand the critics making this complaint. Ammo hasn't become an issue at all for me, between the four weapons I carry now, I always have ammo for any of them.

In Ch3 of Chri's campaign onwards I ran out of ammo alot, had to run through encounters and the fact that every box and enemy dropped Skill Points 90% of the time did not help.. I was literally punching the last boss..

After RE4 things should have gotten better..

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx

Well frankly it's had to beat 4 because that game is one of the best games ever made in my opinion

Because not everyone feels the same way you do. I am in the group that considers Resident Evil 4 one of my favorites games.

#21 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

@Sackmanjones said:

That

@Master_Prophet said:

In Ch3 of Chri's campaign onwards I ran out of ammo alot, had to run through encounters and the fact that every box and enemy dropped Skill Points 90% of the time did not help.. I was literally punching the last boss..

After RE4 things should have gotten better..

On the Leon's chapter 1 boss fight I was completely out of ammo. Luckily one last flame grenade killed him.

#22 Posted by Fawkes (237 posts) -

I'm finding a lot of these QTEs when an enemy grabs you to be unwinnable. As in I can't imagine wiggling the stick fast enough, they don't even seem humanly possible. Is it because I'm playing on veteran, or are they as bad at lower difficulty?

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I honestly don't get this series. Apparently, aside from RE4, gameplay was never the strongest aspect, nay, it was one of the weaker aspects, of this game series. Yet those who are angry are mad at bad gameplay?

What the fuck is this Resident Evil noise mang.

#24 Posted by ricochetguro (22 posts) -

@Fawkes: You're supposed to use both sticks, playing on professional and I've yet to fail a single one.

#25 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@ricochetguro wow you can do that on normal also and it makes things way easier. It's really a bummer they didn't include any kind of manual
#26 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -
#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@JoyfullOFrockets: GOTY!

#28 Posted by Nightriff (4971 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Sooty said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx

Because not everyone feels the same way you do. I am in the group that considers Resident Evil 4 one of my favorites games.

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made, I don't understand how you can say that it isn't with a straight face. What do you think are some of the best games ever made @Sooty?

#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -

About to start chapter 3 of Leon, and I'm liking it quite a bit. I have a feeling people who are finding the combat too difficult or unwieldy or whatever, aren't using the quick shot or prone position enough. Any time an enemy dives at you, you can quick shot them out of the air, which is basically a lock on attack that's very difficult to miss. Anyways, I'm having pretty good time so far.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -

@Barrock said:

@Demoskinos said:

How long did it take you to complete chapter 1? I took 2 1/2 hours and I'm curious if I'm just really bad.

On normal, my final time for chapter one was 47 minutes.

#31 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Barrock said:

@Demoskinos said:

I'm on Veteran. God I suck. :(

#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -

@Barrock said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Barrock said:

@Demoskinos said:

XD

I dunno, maybe Veteran is way harder then Normal?

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@Barrock said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Barrock said:

@Demoskinos said:

Don't feel bad I just looked at my times my first two chapters for Leon were both around 90 minutes each.

#34 Posted by Casey25 (138 posts) -

Coming from a guy who played a ton of RE5 and not any others, i will say i love this game so far.

I played Chris's campaign up to act 4 in the first sitting, had a ton of fun. The controls are great, they require some skill and experience though, so i understand why some people might have problems.

Mercs is awesome, fast paced, with good variety.

So my opinion is quite positive for this game so far.

#35 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Just beat Leon's 2nd chapter and fuck I honestly loved it. Some horrible, disgusting stuff happens but I thought it was really fun to go through!

Totally agree with @LiquidPrince on the combat. The quick shot and dodge/dive stuff are there for a reason and they are extremely useful in tight spots. I personally jump backwards if an enemy jumps at me or just shoot off a few rounds as quick as possible but overall I'd say those 2 mechanics probably aren't being used by most people to their potential.

Gonna go start up Chris chapter 2 right now. I'm actually curious how everyone is playing the campaign, I'm switching each chapter to a different character.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Yep Im going by chronological order and its really fun to see how all the campaigns cross over. Also spotting Ada in the shadows in many of the early cut-scenes has me dying to see all of this from her perspective. I just finished up Leon Chapter 4 and man... DAT END BOSS. Crazy stuff.

#37 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@Demoskinos glad I'm not the only crazy one really liking in! And I gotta say the creature design is extremely solid across the board. Everything just look.....nasty! And I guess that's good and definitely gives the game it's resident evil flare.
#38 Posted by ricochetguro (22 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Indeed, Capcom not including a manual is the stupidest thing they've done in a long time. And that's as someone who thinks this is the best game I've played this year and one that has the best combat system and controls of any TPS I've played. I spent a ton of time in the demo learning the intricacies of the slide move, rolls, roll cancels, 180 quick turn slide(yes the game has one) etc but the problem is the game never tells you any of this. At any point. Resident Evil 6 easily has the most complex control scheme of any 3rd person shooter I've played yet they don't explain anything in depth. As someone who suffered though the Monday video as Brad played it like Gears (and the insane comment about playing 12 hours before finding out there's a roll) I really realized what a horrible mistake Capcom had made. So many people have no idea these systems exist and It's just bizarre. Especially so considering sections of the game, such as the laser statue room in Leon's chapter, rely on using the slide and rolls.

Obviously opinions about the more action oriented path the series has taken is another matter. Will say Leon's Campaign has had some of the most tension I've experienced in a while. Love that professional mode is unlocked from the start, really have to watch your six at all times as one hit can take 2-3 bars off. Could go on about why I love the game but the lack of instruction was the reason for the response.

#39 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I still need to play Resident Evil 6 but based on what I've read and seen so far, I can safely say that Capcom was trying to cramp up way too many elements in the game that it became distorted and out of proportion. It seems that the developers were trying so hard to please the horror and action fans that they have lost their focus of what it takes to make a great Resident Evil game.

Somebody had told me that Dead Space 3 is going to be so much better than Resident Evil 6 and I argued to that statement. Capcom vs EA? Capcom all the way. However, after seeing the reviews and watching this 17 minute demo, I'm beginning to think that EA is doing something right for once. Though it pains me to make this comparison, Dead Space 3 is looking out to be much more promising than Resident Evil 6. Dead Space 3 is scarier, claustrophobic, darker, and suspenseful, which was what Resident Evil was known for in the first place. Resident Evil 6 on the other hand went the other way around. It's strange to see how the tables have turned. Capcom, you need to learn from your mistakes by watching this video:

#40 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Just beat Leon. The story in this game sucks a dick. Someone on another board proclaimed this their favorite RE and one of the reasons they gave was the story. Huh?

#41 Posted by JBrighty (80 posts) -

RE6 is fine; doesnt deserve all the hate it gets. period. and i HATED RE5.

#42 Posted by Raem0268 (3 posts) -

First Impressions I had with the game. About 4-5 hours in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7erDRjcpI

I have finished Leon's and Jake's Campaign since the video

I was ok with Leon chapters 1 - 2. I did get annoyed by the stupid instant kills (fucking ambulance and trains made me rage) and the stupidly small rooms crammed with as many people as possible to give you no freedom of movement! How am I supposed to dodge lunging zombies when I cant roll left or right because I'm bumping into the stupid survivors!

Chapter 3 is a pile of garbage! There is nothing to it. Its move,QTE,shoot,QTE,Move,shoot! Every level is one straight line! The boss battle was ok for the most part. It wasn't straight up broken like most of them.

Chapter 4 Who the hell thought those QTE's were a good idea! I seriously died 4 times to the stupid plane. Chapters after 3 stop being anything like RE 4 and just become explosion fests! The boss fight at least was somewhat interesting (train boss) I at least felt like I was hurting him.

Chapter 5 The final boss is just dumb. He would not grab any of the correct zombies. I would even clear out the area of them and he would go and grab ones off the balcony! After he finally grabbed the correct one he seemed to go after it every time.

Over all I hated Leon's campaign. Its stupid linear and the rooms are often so small you cant dodge and maneuver around enemies in the first 2 or 3 chapters.

Jake

Over all I liked this one way more but it did have some things that bothered me.

Chapter 1 just linear run through area kill dudes get to next area. Run at screen

Chapter 2 The stealth sections were weird at first. I didn't realize the bugs would not see you with their backs turned. Even though it looks as if they are using sonar of some sort.

The snow mobile part is just dumb and there was no need of it.

Running around the snow looking for the data was ok...as it was the first time the game wasn't a giant corridor and you had some choice on where to go first.

Chapter 3

The first part of sneaking out of the lab was pretty fun! ( I did play this one co op split screen so I was able to see both sides of it)

I played sherry and my friend played Jake. As Jake was whipping ass sherry was sneaking around assassinating fools! I did get caught once but Jake is able to control a turret to help Sherry out.

The part to collect 10 coins was ok. It again was one of the only other parts where I saw the game open up from a freakan corridor. The Motorcycle part like the snow mobile was freakan stupid. Touching anything would kill you and dodging the vehicles was such a pain. Just unnecessary again.

Chapter 4 I believe this is where you try and meet up at the rendezvous point? It was simple, I wasn't tearing my hair out or anything, but annoying boat QTE's

Chapter 5 was ok as well. The Last boss was easy but at this point I just wanted to get it over with so I didn't mind it.

Also the story between Jake and Sherry was SOO much better than the crap that was Leon and Ms .whatshername.

Planning on finishing up the game some time soon doing Chris and then Ada.

I also want to add that I loved 4 and like 5. But I for the most part dont like this game. Although I like what they did with the dodge rolls and the movement and the melee for Jake. But its just the enemies and the stupid amount of corridors that kill the game for me. The game's combat only really shines in mercenaries mode. But I don't play RE games for that. I play for the campaign.

I really wanted to like this game but the unnecessary QTE's(way more than 4 and 5 had) ,the really dumbed down enemies, the EXPLOSIONS IN YO FACE, the dumbed down inventory and weapon system, really kill the game for me. I hope all these parts are fixed in the sequel or reboot. Because somewhere buried in all the shit and trash is a great game.

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

So, just finished Jake's campaign and tried out the "Agent Hunt" mode. God, that mode is kinda dumb but fun enough to piss around in if you have nothing else to do I suppose. The guy was playing Jake and kept kicking my ass the J'avo that I got to play as was really slow on the melee attack so its really easy for the Hero players to just melee the shit out of you. Really goes to show you how overpowered you kind of actually are in the game.

#44 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@Demoskinos: Have you beaten the whole game yet? If you did what did you think?
#45 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: No, nearly there well.. at least for the main campaigns. Just finished Chris. I just have Leon Chapter 5 left and well Ada's stuff. Chris' end boss was a pain in the ass. Couldn't get a good shot on the bastard.

#46 Edited by OneManX (1685 posts) -

Honestly... It should of been better. They made a ton of half steps, but never any real big ones, yeah you can move and shoot, but ehhhhh. It doesn't feel right, I get it RE4 was big and RE5 was a split for the fans between like/hate, RE6 doesn't feel like that much of a step forward, feels like a shuffle step at most.

It's not bad, but it could of been SOOOOOO much better with a more focused campaign and a better leash on the controls.

#47 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I've only really played mercenaries to get a hang of the controls while waiting to play co-op for a friend to get his copy but I really like the way the movement and combat is in this game. Quick fire solves the problem of aiming at fast moving enemies, such a great addition.

#48 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

Finished off Leon's and gonna jump in to Ada's later, but the more I play of this game the less I like it.. Leon's campaign takes a dip mid chapter 2 and loses most of its atmosphere and his final boss is so bad, It's tedious, annoying, and just boring.. also the story is pretty bad,The characters are not the characters I remember them, them some action movie equivelent of what there supposed to be.. Chris's boss is introduced just before you fight it, nothing leading up to it at all so his whole end is just no impact, and there's no real bad guy across the 3 campaigns.. The things I like about the RE series are semi-open areas, exploration and the tension created when your not sure whats around the next corner.. I get none of that here, but a linear action story told in 3 mediocre parts..

#49 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

So how come the tutorial is different from the actual Leon section?

#50 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@Barrock: Because would you want to be player 2 during that.. They ret-conned there own game, mid-game with no explanation..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.