People should replay RE5 and RE4

• 64 results
#51 Posted by L44 (555 posts) -

@bibamatt: Long live Los Campesinos dude.

#52 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1189 posts) -

@BoOzak said:

It isnt the bile that Brad made it out to be

No, I would say it is.

#53 Posted by carlthenimrod (1592 posts) -

I shouldn't have to go replay older games in the series to somehow justify liking RE6. I should be able to just play RE6 and like it. I can't. It's awful poop.

#54 Posted by OneManX (1685 posts) -

@AndyAce83 said:

@bibamatt said:

@AndyAce83 said:

RE stoped being a point-and-click survival horror game after RE 0.

lol wut

Resident Evil was more like adventure games, with ammo, until RE0. I called it point-and-click survival horror. Now its more "lack of ammo with strong opponents" survival horror. There are few puzzles etc. RE4, 5 and 6 are more action orientated I like them and I like the old ones. I enjoy RE6 for its innovating co-op, its action oriented story and all kinds of things to open and expand. People who miss the looking for keys in a mansion (instead of just knocking down the rotten piece of wood) story could go back to RE 1, 2, 3, CV and 0. That was what I meant. I love them all.

I always felt RE to be more action than survival horror... the first time, you have that tense feeling, but going back to it.. you can make it through that game just loaded with ammo, esp. RE2 and 3, I saved my Magnum bullets for the bosses, shotgun shells for lickers and I was flooded with handgun ammo . Again, that was coming back to those games many years after I originally played them.

#55 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@OneManX said:

@AndyAce83 said:

@bibamatt said:

@AndyAce83 said:

RE stoped being a point-and-click survival horror game after RE 0.

lol wut

Resident Evil was more like adventure games, with ammo, until RE0. I called it point-and-click survival horror. Now its more "lack of ammo with strong opponents" survival horror. There are few puzzles etc. RE4, 5 and 6 are more action orientated I like them and I like the old ones. I enjoy RE6 for its innovating co-op, its action oriented story and all kinds of things to open and expand. People who miss the looking for keys in a mansion (instead of just knocking down the rotten piece of wood) story could go back to RE 1, 2, 3, CV and 0. That was what I meant. I love them all.

I always felt RE to be more action than survival horror... the first time, you have that tense feeling, but going back to it.. you can make it through that game just loaded with ammo, esp. RE2 and 3, I saved my Magnum bullets for the bosses, shotgun shells for lickers and I was flooded with handgun ammo . Again, that was coming back to those games many years after I originally played them.

RE2 and RE3 are definitely the easiest of the lot. But because they're also pretty old, and survival horror was still such a new concept, it's easy to understand why it begins to crumble when you play through again. It's why I relished the chance to play Resident Evil Director's Cut's advanced mode for the first time, because it was almost like playing a new Resident Evil game. I still had my knowledge and experience of the enemies and what needs to go where, but the remixed placements of items, weapons, added jump scares, additional enemies - it was pretty rough a lot of the time, and once the hunters arrived on the scene, I was running away (sometimes in Danger status) from a lot of encounters not only because they're bleedin' hunters (with their crazy amount of invincible animation frames), but because my ammo was actually dwindling.

This was also as Chris I must add, which is undoubtedly the best way to play Resident Evil. Jill's variation, which I tried out just recently, surprised me with how significantly easier it is. I always remembered all of the benefits her version entailed, but the addition of the bazooka alone left me stuffing the inventory box with spare ammo because the bazooka was always there to handle just about everything. I relatively quickly discarded the pistol completely because I had so much shotgun ammo to take its place, and I killed Plant 42 just with like three regular grenade rounds... In any case it's also why I'm so grateful for the remake and RE0, because not only are they two of the hardest of the series, but they also have difficulty settings (and remake has that Real Survival mode, which is such a bastard, and Invisible enemy mode) so there's some bonus challenge there.

RE2 also had the HUNK and Tofu scenarios, which can still be pretty damn tough even after you've completed it. RE3 may have given you plenty of ammo, but that's why Nemesis was such a boon for that game. Despite all of the weapons and the ammo, I was still hesitant to stand my ground and fight against the fucker because he's so damn fast, and not to mention tough. Also you may not remember this, but RE3 also had enemy randomisation in certain places, like replacing a zombie room with Hunters during the a following playthrough; randomisation is definitely what the sub-genre could do with, and it's why I also think RE5's Lost in Nightmares was a great little experiment and an interesting look at what a modern day survival horror Resident Evil could potentially look like. Can't forget to mention Operation Mad Jackel, which was a fantastic survival horror experience. It required a lot of strategy and ammo management as you decide what to use what weapon on which enemies, whether this hostage is worth the risk ect. ect. Playing through that as Nicholai is never not a challenge.

It's true that RE games (especially RE2 and RE3) are pretty easy once you get used to the routine, but you can say that for most games when it comes down to it. That doesn't in any way mean they're not survival horror games, it's just that their design structure isn't particularly sturdy against repeated playthroughs. Silent Hill's the same way, only they're generally really easy even on your first playthrough. Silent Hill 2 in particular -- once you've found the handgun, it's clean sailing from then on. Silent Hill 3 is a lot tougher at least, and it's part of why it's my favourite of the lot. Of course Silent Hill has always been about prioritising the adventure and psychological elements of survival horror more so than it does the survivalist gameplay like Resident Evil. But then even Silent Hill games had difficulty settings, and from my time spent playing the original on Hard mode, those games can be freakin' difficult. It's just too bad RE2 didn't have an additional few settings to boost the difficulty.

This is why I found it unfortunate for RE4 to then come along and strip away so much of the original foundation that was set and decide for full-on action. The series pretty much stayed on the same step for so long; it never even got a chance to evolve anywhere and survival horror in general still hasn't really advanced all too much. Downpour made some great innovations with its open-world format, since while there's still some scripted scares here and there, the dynamic open-world meant that you can randomly encounter enemies within the fog as you travel, or turn around only to find one of those banshee's skittering towards you. It didn't do as much with it as I'd have hoped, but it at least done something.

Really curious to see what Shinji Mikami and his Project Zwei thing has in store. Because my PC's a pile of utter shite, I'm completely starved when it comes to horror games in general, let alone survival horror. It's also more than likely why I'm slightly more forgiving towards Downpour than most.

EDIT: Also for the sake of the topic, I just want to add to my original posts in here that I have recently been replaying RE4 and RE5. RE4 in particular is still an outstanding game (for what it is, I mean) and RE6 completely pales in comparison to both of them.

#56 Posted by project343 (2816 posts) -

@Maajin: Standards change over 7 years. When people talk about these games, they're talking about them within the context of their release. When Resident Evil 4 released, quicktime events were a brand new thing and that game nailed them so much harder than any of the 'interactive cutscene sequences' that other games had done. No one complained about the quicktime events, and if they did, they were in the minority.

While I haven't played RE6, I imagine the majority of the complaints are in-line with what they were for RE5: that Capcom continues to shit all over the stress and tension that made RE4 so special. There were some parts of RE4 that I was genuinely afraid to play--not because they were frightening, but because the stress and tension was almost unbearable. RE5 was a calm stroll during a warm, mid-summer day compared to RE4, and it sounds like RE6 doesn't even try.

#57 Posted by golguin (3868 posts) -

I played through all of RE6 coop again two weeks before RE6 came out. It still holds up and is still a great game.

#58 Edited by AndyAce83 (118 posts) -

@Yummylee: You seem to be a real fan of the franchise. I respect that :-)

One of the things I enjoy with the games is the humor and secrets that sometimes can be found in the game. Like how you looking a drawer in the STARS office (I believe its Wesker´s desk) for like 70 times and then you get a photo of Rebecca and stuff like that. I kind of hate the mercenary games (as I suck so much at it) but I like how one can play dead characters, villains etc and how they are very different in strength and power .

I dont remember Jill being over equipped in the game (on the first run), but I have only played the remake for gamecube so I dunno. I like how the first two games have same story different character with small differences That was lacking some what in the 3, CV and 0 games. Then again Nemisis had all those challenges and changes to the stories based on choices. That was so funny.

One thing I miss from the 4th game was the merchant. I lauged when Leon said "Welcome back, stranger" in the 6th game as I thought that was a reference to him. I also found it funny how the merchant had red eyes, which meant he was probably infected by the las plauge parasite himself.

HUNK is also a great part of the game. He has only been in one game (as a side character) but rarely seen or played afterwards. Its a kind of a great mission in the Umbrella chronicles with HUNK. I especially liked the radio he listens to when people are going insane in Raccoon city. I havent played Darksiders yet, but I think I want to later.

I am not saying that RE series is not survival horror though. I am saying that RE 4-6 is more action oriented survival horror while the old ones are more "adventurer games with guns". The new games are linear while the old ones are more grounded.

I have no real complaints about RE6. Its epic-demic! So many great adventures in that game. Not a dumb plot (like 5 was... although I enjoyed 5 to, I really hated the last chapter of the original game). I think people are really hard on 5 and 6. They are innovating, with great chance for strategy and fun. If people dont like those game I do not know why. They are frustrating to play, but so has all RE games been. I think I swear the most while playing those games. Like the camera angels of the old games (and also some camera angel parts of the 6th game like the running sequence in chapter 5 of Chris campaign). We know there is a zombie creature in the room, but we have to shoot blindly cuz its out of the scene. Its a great and adrenaline pumping effect, but also very aggravating. I think people think that when they die alot its because the game is faulty, but its to get the adrenaline running.

#59 Posted by GunGunW (60 posts) -

I beat Resident Evil 5 so many times I actually have a 100% completion rating. I probably still will go back and play it again eventually. As for Resident Evil 4, I will go back and play that as well, but maybe not for a while.

#60 Posted by PSNgamesun (406 posts) -

RE4= better design, story progression, atmosphere, setting, villains, characters...oh yeah n im alone for most of the game.

#61 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5205 posts) -

I have played through those games recently. What I have played of RE6 was not good. At all. I haven't played the full game and I've only played the demos/friends house. The camera is in a weird position, different from RE4 and 5 especially when the characters run and that just makes things hard to see. The aiming feels bad and even when you compare it to 4 and 5 it feels really sluggish. The melee combat doesn't fucking work. Why the Hell is Chris/Leon/Wesker Jr. missing all of their fucking melee cues?! It's like what Brad said. Everything about this game sounds great on paper. It's just that they did everything poorly unless I guess if I play the full game everything I complained about will be fixed.

Also I find it weird that you want us to play RE4 so you can say "Your complaints are inconsistent!" Yeah a gamecube era game has subpar game mechanics to modern 3rd person shooters. RE4 and 5 were also at a slower pace than RE6 at least in it's demo. Yeah RE4 and 5 has more "action" than previous games in the series but the action at least felt like it was paced to much it's controls. RE6 didn't understand that. If you want more fast paced action make the shooting match.

People were saying that it's to bad that this game is getting as bad a wrap as it is since a lot of people will miss out on the experience. But I don't know, $60 is too much to spend on a game that has a poor demo and bad reception.

#62 Posted by Gnorbooth (282 posts) -

RE6 is a bad game. I just finished it and it is one of the worst games I have played in recent memory. It is made all the more surprising, because I replayed RE5 about three weeks ago, and you know what? That game is great. If I had the time or the ability, I could write a hell of a thesis paper on where this game went wrong. I don't even know where to begin honestly. And you know what, I'm not even going to try right now. Maybe when I cool off from finishing it and aren't as angry at the colossal waste of time I just put myself through. I just need to get one thing off my chest though.

THIS GAME IS BAD.

#63 Posted by indieslaw (339 posts) -

I played through the Leon Campaign Co-Op in Split Screen with my brother. It wasnt special, but it didnt get offensively bad until the very end (fucking rope climb). Too bad. Had some good times with RE5.

#64 Edited by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

@Maajin said:

Yeah, it's probably bad that a 2012 game plays that much like 2005 and 2009 ones, and maybe those little sins aren't as easy to overlook today, but I was really shocked to see that Brad gave RE5 a perfect score. Have things changed that much since then? RE6 is probably worse for it's lack of focus, reworked melee system, contrived story and perhaps uneven pace, but not THAT much worse.

Games easily lose a star by being an improved version of the same game that came out 3 years ago, so I don't know why a game that is a worse version of the game that came out three years ago (as you just said) wouldn't get two stars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.