Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Resident Evil 6 disappointment

• 60 results
    fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

I always liked RE2 and I am a firm believer that RE4 is one of the top 15 games of the last 12 years. I definitely wasn't a HUGE fan of 5, mainly due to the addition of a partner, but I still think it was a great game. Now......this? Man, such a long fall from where it once was, even fairly recently. Is anybody else not surprised, but at the same time, very bummed about how this game has turned out?

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By Danteveli

I have played a bit of Leon campaign and its terrible. Such a fall from where the series was.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

Have you played the game? Are you bummed about the game or are you bummed about how other people feel about the game?

tyler1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By tyler1285

Please tell me you guys have actually played it.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fawkes

I feel about the same. I've only played both demos so far, but I was surprised by the first one, by how much I didn't like it. In the second one I amused myself by scooting and rolling on the floor for most of Leon's section. Also I bought the game and will be playing it as soon as tomorrow. I think I will enjoy some aspect of it probably. Scooting on the floor online in mercs with my friends, most likely.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@Fawkes said:

I feel about the same. I've only played both demos so far, but I was surprised by the first one, by how much I didn't like it. In the second one I amused myself by scooting and rolling on the floor for most of Leon's section. Also I bought the game and will be playing it as soon as tomorrow. I think I will enjoy some aspect of it probably. Scooting on the floor online in mercs with my friends, most likely.

Been messing with the Leon stuff and at the moment it is ok. Not great and not hot garbage like a lot of people have been saying. What I don't like so far is there seem to be a fair amount of unnecessary QTE and the melee stuff seems a bit overpowered.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#9  Edited By Dimsey

I've only just wrapped up the Leon campaign.

Not gonna get too into it but so far I think it's an alright game.

Definitely nowhere near the steaming, flaming pile of crap a lot of people are making it out to be.

It's a solid shooter - which is only bad if you still consider the series a survival horror franchise and if that's what disappoints you then I can understand that at least.

Solid shooters are a dime a dozen, but ain't a lot of survival horror coming out nowadays and it does kind of suck to see what is arguably the first great series in the genre lean so heavily into gunplay and explosions.

I'd have preferred they put out something a little closer to their roots, but all that aside it's a fun romp at least.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By hollitz

Personally, I thought 4 was a step in the wrong direction. 4 was fun for a few hours, but that game is way way way way too long and the charm wore off for me quickly when I realized that they weren't focused on being a horror game anymore. I thought the mechanics of 5 were fun but the story just continued to spiral out of control culminating in a wesker-monster lava fight. Kind of done with the series unless they plan on going back to their roots.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By M_Shini

When i played it i was expecting to not like it with all the hate it was getting and how RE5 was kinda meh to me but i can't honestly say i haven't had fun with the game, and i don't really know what i would want a resident evil game to be since i can't say ive ever enjoyed any Resident evil game before 4.

Its not an incredible masterpiece, it has bad flaws with the camera in small confined area's and combat can be kinda bad and messed up in though's sections with some other flaws but for me it was a fun game and one of the few games i have actually stuck with till the end this year cuz i wanted to finish it and play through with other characters.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @M_Shini sounds good. I'm honestly excited to get a hold of my copy and play co op with my buddy. Any campaign you prefer or dislike?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

Part of me still can't believe that Resident Evil 6 is already upon us. Six.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Worcanna

Remember. Reviews in the end are just opinions too. Not everyone is going to find it awful. I did like Leon's stuff till the end and Chris is fun till about half way but it does feel very...jumpy. Like they didn't know exactly what to do so did everything very half-assedly :(.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Genkkaku

It's no RE5 but it's still a fun game, I don't think it's terrible, it has it's problems but when it shines.. If nothing the Mercenaries is quite fun, and Agent Hunt is cool if you're into messing up other players

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Grissefar

@Dimsey said:

It's a solid shooter - which is only bad if you still consider the series a survival horror franchise and if that's what disappoints you then I can understand that at least.

Now I only played the demo, but between the terrible, disorienting camera, QTEs, wierd cover system and the awkward laser sights with crosshairs, I think calling it a solid shooter might be going too far.

Raulito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Raulito

I have finished Leon's campaign and from what reviews are saying, that is the best of the three. Makes me not want to play the other two.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@MB said:

If Sherlock Holmes can make it to 6, so can Resident Evil...

lol

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MB: I think it's more shocking that 5 live-action Resident Evil movies exist.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#20  Edited By Dimsey

@Grissefar said:

@Dimsey said:

Now I only played the demo, but between the terrible, disorienting camera, QTEs, wierd cover system and the awkward laser sights with crosshairs, I think calling it a solid shooter might be going too far.

Maybe my standards are just exceedingly low but the camera hasn't been a big issue, I don't mind the quick time events and in the Leon campaign at least I never needed the cover system. Heck didn't even know there was one until I accidentally stuck to a wall at some point near the end. Will agree the laser sights aren't great, but not really game breaking.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeF

@Raulito said:

I have finished Leon's campaign and from what reviews are saying, that is the best of the three. Makes me not want to play the other two.

Does the Leon campaign come close to some areas of RE4 at least? The very first footage looked cool with him in the dark subway tracks area (though later videos made a later part of that area look stupid again). Have you played Revelations? Can you compare them?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

I played it for a couple of hours this morning, probably not going back to it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

@DeF said:

@Raulito said:

Does the Leon campaign come close to some areas of RE4 at least? The very first footage looked cool with him in the dark subway tracks area (though later videos made a later part of that area look stupid again). Have you played Revelations? Can you compare them?

I've completed 3/4 campaigns and Leon is undoubtedly the best. Though it's similar to RE4 in some ways (the atmosphere is particularly evocative), it's much more linear and restricted; you're not buying or upgrading your guns at all in RE6, that much need be said. Still, there are some neat scenarios like trying to defend yourself from a swarm of zombies inside a bar alongside a few other survivors (the camera can potentially be a nightmare because of so much stuff in there at once, though), and there's even (albeit laughably simple) puzzles in there. However, it all starts to crumble once Leon reaches China.

I've posted most of my impressions already in this thread. Though they are admittedly kinda scattered...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By impartialgecko

The way I see it, Dead Space 2 was the vaguely horror-themed shooter to beat. RE6 may not be the hot mess people say it is, but we've learned to expect better things from the genre than merely being "alright".

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stonyman65

@MB said:

It's actually like 12 or something if you count every game in the series.

Yeah, I know.

Edit: make that 22. Fuck.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yummylee

@Stonyman65 said:

@MB said:

Yeah, I know.

Well speaking for the main series there's 8. But if you count in all of the spin-off stuff then yeah, the number is looking a little higher. 8 is still a bit much, though, and I had always hoped that after RE5 they were just going to reboot it altogether.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@MB said:

Yeah, I know.

Well speaking for the main series there's 8. But if you count in all of the spin-off stuff then yeah, the number is looking a little higher. 8 is still a bit much, though, and I had always hoped that after RE5 they were just going to reboot it altogether.

After 5 didn't they announce that it was going to be a very long time until another Resident Evil game came out, and if it did it wouldn't resemble any RE game out.. That's why I always hoped for a new game after 5

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@Genkkaku said:

@Yummylee said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@MB said:

Yeah, I know.

After 5 didn't they announce that it was going to be a very long time until another Resident Evil game came out, and if it did it wouldn't resemble any RE game out.. That's why I always hoped for a new game after 5

Can't remember to be honest. Though I do definitely recall some mumblings that the series was planned for a reboot, but nothing concrete.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee: Can't remember where I saw it, bummed me out a little after 5 but got me hopeful for what may come next.. After this one I do hope they go back to the drawing boards and really create something completely different (The moment you first played 4 you knew you where in for something special), I think to story is to big now to really make an interesting sequel, the characters have outgrown the reason they really existed in the first place

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yummylee

@Genkkaku said:

@Yummylee: Can't remember where I saw it, bummed me out a little after 5 but got me hopeful for what may come next.. After this one I do hope they go back to the drawing boards and really create something completely different (The moment you first played 4 you knew you where in for something special), I think to story is to big now to really make an interesting sequel, the characters have outgrown the reason they really existed in the first place

Yup, pretty much. That's why I disliked so much of the story. They had such opportunity to finish up Chris' arc once and for all, and yet his ending cutscene is literally titled ''The War isn't over...'' give it a rest for fuck sake. At first I thought they were initially doing an MGS4 and just piling everyone and everything into this, but that's not at all how it goes unfortunately. And while I still haven't completed Ada's campaign yet, going by Leon's ending they still haven't closed up their relationship. Helena even says that he should keep her makeup case or something ''for the next time they [Leon & Ada] meet''. It's fucking maddening. God, and Jake & Sherry's story.. just, man I had such hopes for the story of this game =/ I had this whole theory that Jake was actually a clone spliced with Steve Burnside and Wesker's DNA or something ridiculous like that.

I do at least like how they shown Chris' mental state finally being torn down a little, but they didn't go far enough (and it doesn't take much for him to recover, either). I wanted Chris to potentially go through some hallucinatory shit where he'll witness all of his comrades death across the years; both B.S.A.A. and S.T.A.R.S. I wanted these characters to evolve, to finally show some sort of exhaustion. But instead more quipy one-liners... I guess I should have expected as much, but they really pushed the whole ''No Hope Left'' motif pretty hard during the marketing.

Also Chris & Leon don't team up. I don't even.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By PandaBear

I never know what to think with Resident Evil. If I'm honest I loved 5 more than 4, I played it for about 100 hours ONLY in co-op with my best friend (ie the best way to play it). But even if I played it single-player I'd probably still like 5 more than 4, but I'll never know for sure. MY POINT - I don't usually fall in line with the critical consensus on the Resident Evil series (0 is the best of the classics for example IMHO) so I'll wait and see with 6. BUT the demo didn't exactly fill me with confidence. No matter what this will be a divisive game.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Genkkaku

@Yummylee: Yeah the story was not the high point in this game.. Chris's ending was badly handled, it kinda builds towards something then just leaves it.. And the huge gap in the middle of Jake's story and the fact that his story is just a bunch of throw off lines, Well all of there story is just throw off lines, "Oh here's something important" 'One-liner', You have this potential between both of these characters to go the uber-crazy Resident Evil route but instead you get that .. If Ada's story doesn't cover in any stuff it'll feel a little lazy.. I was hoping that splitting 3 characters across 3 campaigns wouldn't really damage the story, but it kinda leaves it as 3 average stories rather than one more solid one, I would have preferred one campaign with Character swapping, maybe..

They really don't have anywhere interesting to go after this, Alot of the story seemed like a means to the story

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Hunter5024

The more negative things I hear about it the more interested I am in playing it for some reason. I wasn't able to get into the series until 4 though, and I've never hated quick time events like other people either, there's good and bad ways to do them and I think maybe people write the mechanic off altogether too quickly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee

@Hunter5024 said:

The more negative things I hear about it the more interested I am in playing it for some reason. I wasn't able to get into the series until 4 though, and I've never hated quick time events like other people either, there's good and bad ways to do them and I think maybe people write the mechanic off altogether too quickly.

I don't necessarily hate QTE's, either. God of War's are still perfectly fine for the most part. But they are everywhere, and there's a lot that just come out of nowhere catching you off guard and killing you before you even realise what's just happened. I would probably say that literally like half of the gameplay is made up of QTE's.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hunter5024

@Yummylee said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I don't necessarily hate QTE's, either. God of War's are still perfectly fine for the most part. But they are everywhere, and there's a lot that just come out of nowhere catching you off guard and killing you before you even realise what's just happened. I would probably say that literally like half of the gameplay is made up of QTE's.

If half of the gameplay is QTE's then how could they come out of nowhere?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Yummylee

@Hunter5024 said:

@Yummylee said:

@Hunter5024 said:

If half of the gameplay is QTE's then how could they come out of nowhere?

Well I don't mean one after another...

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RazielCuts

I almost want to buy RE6 to see how 'bad' it really is and be involved in the conversation, is that masochistic of me? Felt the same way about Duke Nukem Forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since RE4 came about the series has become a pile of dog shit. So I am not surprised.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By tallTuck94

I'm really confused about the Gametrailers review of it. It seemed to agree with Destructoids opinion that there is a lot wrong with the game. Then Gametrailers say that the only good thing about it is the amount of content. Yet they give it an 8.8 and Destructoid gives it a 3.

How does a review that spends the whole time slating the game turn around and give the game 8.8? It's baffling!

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lysergica33

I pretty much called this one. Resident Evil 5 was the beginning of the end as far as I am concerned. Resi 4 was still essentially an old-school Resident Evil game, just with a different perspective and more shooty shooty funtimes. The atmosphere was still there, the Carpenter/Romero-esque b-movie horror cheese was still there, as were the tank controls.. And as long as those elements are in place (along with the fundamental game mechanics of course) it counts as a Resi game in my eyes. However Resi 5 was completely devoid of any mood or atmosphere and the characters and narrative are all far too serious despite not really being interesting enough to justify that serious approach. The pacing was also a little too breakneck for my liking, but that's more a reflection on me than the game itself.

I think the fact that Operation Racoon City was actually released was the final nail in the coffin for me. To me it shows that Capcom have zero pride in the Resident Evil franchise when they're willing to put out such an unrepentantly bad game that goes against everything a Resi game is meant to be. And yeah, there have been a lot of really bad Resi games, and a lot of Resi games that haven't adhered to the typical moody survival horror style of the core series, but I dunno... Racoon City felt different to me. Those PS1 light gun games were harmless fun, Racoon City was just.. Just no. You just don't release shit like that if you have any pride over a universe that you created and maintain.

Resi 5 worried me, ORC justified my worries, Resi 6 seems to actualise the downfall of the series. I haven't played the game, but I don't feel I need to. I've spent my entire life as a gamer deciding whether to purchase games or not based on raw, unedited gameplay footage. I get a gut feeling that tells me whether I want to play the game or not, and my instincts have not lead me astray once.

In this case, my gut is telling me fuck this game and fuck its creators.

Lugburz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lugburz

I guess it is a disappointment since the developers acknowledged they will do a sixth installment. Since RE5 i knew that the series fell into the abyss and will never be recovered. It all started with RE4 taking a huge step from the original idea of the series.

The whole partner\buddy thing is a very big mistake to the series in the first place.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By murisan

I've just rented it, going to pick it up in a few minutes. I figure I can flare through the story in a few days, worth the six bucks since I played RE5 and want to know where the plotline for the games go. Plus, my buddy and I will be playing it, so it'll be fun ironically if nothing else.

Seems like people who've actually played it are saying it's entertaining but has frustrating points. That's how I remember EVERY RESIDENT EVIL EVER.

Raulito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Raulito

@DeF: I have only played two chapters of Revelations, but that felt more like a traditional RE game than the entirety of the Leon campaign. Its cruise ship setting was dark and eerie and brought me back to the memories I had of the mansion from the first one. This game feels like its dark and gray just to hide blurry textures. There is also no weapon upgrades, true there are upgradeable perks but it takes so long to get the points needed to upgrade them. It feels like Capcom wanted to make a "AAA" third person action shooter but its execution is marred by clunky controls and terrible design decisions. If I am playing by myself, why won't the game pause when I PAUSE the game?! If the game wants to be a shooter, why is ammo still so scarce? From having played one of the 3 campaigns I can definitely say RE 6 doesn't hold a candle to RE 4, an it's not even as fun as RE 5.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Yummylee How was Jakes campaign overall? I imagine your just about finishing up Ada's as well
    peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By peritus

@Cloudenvy said:

@MB: I think it's more shocking that 5 live-action Resident Evil movies exist.

Want shocking? I actually like those movies!

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By murisan

I like the movies, I liked RE4 and 5, played parts of the RE1 remake, and that's my knowledge. I played the prologue so far of 6, and I quite enjoyed that. If it's any indication of what the rest of the game is, it'll be great playing with a friend.

Raulito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Raulito

Ok so if you choose offline in network settings, then the game will let you pause but not when you are navigating the menus. Also there is apparently a way to change the control settings to make it play similar to RE 4, which I'll try to experiment with.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AngelN7

@Yummylee said:

That's bullshit! I avoided all the trailers sans the first one (because they spoiled fucking everything with trailers in 5) but saw many screen caps with Leon and Christ aiming at eachother and they don't even team up!? and my only reason to play this at this was the story ... do they mention Jill can she still be saved?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Yummylee

@Sackmanjones said:

@Yummylee How was Jakes campaign overall? I imagine your just about finishing up Ada's as well

Probably the worst of the lot frankly, even if Jake is a likeable guy courtesy of Troy Baker's fine performance.

@AngelN7 said:

@Yummylee said:

That's bullshit! I avoided all the trailers sans the first one (because they spoiled fucking everything with trailers in 5) but saw many screen caps with Leon and Christ aiming at eachother and they don't even team up!? and my only reason to play this at this was the story ... do they mention Jill can she still be saved?

Nope, she isn't mentioned at all actually, same with Sheva and Josh. I can assume they're still just hanging back in West Africa, though it was weird how there's no mention of how Jill's doing after the events of RE5. Maybe there's a file you can unlock, but the ones I've read haven't brought her up.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RE_Player1

@Yummylee: What about Barry?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.