Resident Evil 6 takes place in 2013.

#1 Edited by Yummylee (21656 posts) -

More updates from the front lines!Making that speculative dump I posted earlier about whether RE6 actually takes place before RE5 appear to of been mostly pointless. I suppose what they meant was, during the initial reveal, that RE6 takes place 10 years after Umbrella's downfall - as shown during Umbrella Chronicles. Of course there's still the possibility that each story takes place across differing times, hence why they did initially say RE6 takes place ten years after 1998, but who knows... maybe even CAPCOM have lost their footing with the RE timeline :o

We also have the confirmed Chinese City Chris is going to be struttin' his action-man physique, a fictional town called Lanshiang. They expand on a couple of the enemy types, zombies and the new ''Ganados/Majini'' J'avo. Run down a brief overview about some of the cast--whilst still keeping the ginger buzzcut fellow a mystery--and most importantly confirmed the President is (was?) called Adam Benford, not Ashley Graham's Daddy Dearest. More and more, the idea that the mystery chick who's tagging with the mystery dude is Ashley Graham is being wilted away ever so slightly. It was already confirmed that that wasn't Ashley's original VA during the debut trailer, but that could of course been intentional on the VA's part to plant a red herring. Though whether it's Sherry or Ashley, it's still too early to decide all the same.

Oh, and while it was already confirmed during the trailer, CAPCOM would like to reaffirm that you can move n shoot, take cover, dive out of danger and so forth like an actual third-person shooter in RE6.

EDIT: Also since Adam is meant to be the guy who brought Leon into the Secret Service or whatever, I guess that means that he was the guy in Leon's RE3 epilogue.

Damn good cup of coffee
#2 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Zombies that can run, jump and shoot guns are not zombies.

#3 Edited by Yummylee (21656 posts) -

@zyn said:

Zombies that can run, jump and shoot guns are not zombies.

Don't be so close-minded. Zombies have often been able to run and jump in plenty of zombie stuff--and even use guns, counting that Land of The Dead. But they only said ''weapons'' anyway, which'll more than likely be melee. Which goes against the norm, but whatever. It'll probably evoke a similar sense of tension like going against the Crimson heads from RE in some respects. But If these zombies can use guns, then that's fucked up.

If they're going to allow you be able to do all this other kind of manoeuvrability, then they're going to have to make it so the zombies can catch up. and still prove fearsome.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@zyn said:

Zombies that can run, jump and shoot guns are not zombies.

Don't be so close-minded. Zombies have often been able to run and jump in plenty of zombie stuff--and even use guns, counting that Land of The Dead. But they only said ''weapons'' anyway, which'll more than likely be melee. Which goes against the norm, but whatever. It'll probably evoke a similar sense of tension like going against the Crimson heads from RE in some respects. But If these zombies can use guns, then that's fucked up.

If they're going to allow you be able to do all this other kind of manoeuvrability, then they're going to have to make it so the zombies can catch up. and still prove fearsome.

Since you brought up Crimson Heads; okay, I'm up for that. But weapons? Come on. NO WEAPONS!

#5 Edited by VierasTalo (782 posts) -

@zyn said:

@Abyssfull said:

@zyn said:

Zombies that can run, jump and shoot guns are not zombies.

Don't be so close-minded. Zombies have often been able to run and jump in plenty of zombie stuff--and even use guns, counting that Land of The Dead. But they only said ''weapons'' anyway, which'll more than likely be melee. Which goes against the norm, but whatever. It'll probably evoke a similar sense of tension like going against the Crimson heads from RE in some respects. But If these zombies can use guns, then that's fucked up.

If they're going to allow you be able to do all this other kind of manoeuvrability, then they're going to have to make it so the zombies can catch up. and still prove fearsome.

Since you brought up Crimson Heads; okay, I'm up for that. But weapons? Come on. NO WEAPONS!

What, you've never seen Umberto Lenzi's Nightmare City? Shit's off the wazoo, the damn flick starts with zombies piloting an airplane down to an airport, then bursting out of it with axes and machine guns blazing. Here's the trailer; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmPCFP6pI8

#6 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

A Resident Evil game where all the basic enemies behave like Crimson Heads? Jesus Christ, that would be the worst fucking thing imaginable. And I don't mean that as in it's a terrible idea, I mean it as it would be pure panic and terror from beginning to end. Fast enemies with erratic attack patterns coming at you in groups is what RE needs to put the horror back into it.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

I had a feeling the 10 years after Raccoon City might have been a slight mistake of their part.

But unlike other people here, I'm glad about the stuff like moving and shooting, and enemies that use weapons and stuff. Gameplay variety!

I'm interested in Leon's relationship with these presidents. Is he the head of the Secret Service? Does that mean he's also in charge of finding counterfeit money? (Look it up, that was the original goal of the Secret Service, and they still do it today.)

Moderator
#8 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@VierasTalo said:

@zyn said:

@Abyssfull said:

@zyn said:

Zombies that can run, jump and shoot guns are not zombies.

Don't be so close-minded. Zombies have often been able to run and jump in plenty of zombie stuff--and even use guns, counting that Land of The Dead. But they only said ''weapons'' anyway, which'll more than likely be melee. Which goes against the norm, but whatever. It'll probably evoke a similar sense of tension like going against the Crimson heads from RE in some respects. But If these zombies can use guns, then that's fucked up.

If they're going to allow you be able to do all this other kind of manoeuvrability, then they're going to have to make it so the zombies can catch up. and still prove fearsome.

Since you brought up Crimson Heads; okay, I'm up for that. But weapons? Come on. NO WEAPONS!

What, you've never seen Umberto Lenzi's Nightmare City? Shit's off the wazoo, the damn flick starts with zombies piloting an airplane down to an airport, then bursting out of it with axes and machine guns blazing. Here's the trailer; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmPCFP6pI8

Holy shit! That is crazy!

#9 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

2013-1998 isn't 10 what the hell

#10 Edited by NTM (7381 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Shoot, well then! Thank you very much for the post. This makes me happy. It's more exciting and interesting when it's after than before all of the RE's to date. Yay!

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21656 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

2013-1998 isn't 10 what the hell

It's pretty weird, I know... they clearly stated ''10 years after the Raccoon City Incident'', so either even CAPCOM are now having trouble trying to keep all this fiction stitched together (since what they should of posted was, ''10 years after Umbrella's downfall'', which occurred in 2003), or some part of the story does take place during that time. But that would then create a weird dissonance having the stories separated by like 5 years.

They could be possibly engineering the campaign for Leon's (or the third guy... I think it's practically assured that Chris' takes place in 2013) story to act as the prologue (10 years after raccoon city seems like a good opportunity to then throw Leon into yet another raccoon city-esque situation), insinuating the world-wide conflict to come. Or hey, maybe they'll be doing some sort of time-travel mechanic ala Onimusha 3! You influence shit as Leon in 2008, and then shit happens in 2013 - GENIUS!!!!

I dunno, it was more than likely just a mistake... CAPCOM aren't exactly at the frontier of storytelling, and it's well known at this point that they kind of just wing it with each iteration. At the same time though, RE6 is meant to be huge, so it wouldn't be entirely out of reach for them to try and scale a story that transpires across the years. They've already got the globe-trottin' trope going on...

Also, as if possibly having up to 6 player coop (in some fashion... not exactly clear whether it's for the story) and everything else they're doing to have their series resemble Gears of War, they're now throwing in enemies that'll mutate on the spot during gameplay not entirely unlike the Lambent in Gears 3.

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Didn't the enemies mutate on the spot in RE 4 and 5? I don't think thats really a change. Man I wish I could get excited for RE 6 but that trailer turned me off from the game completely.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (21656 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@Abyssfull: Didn't the enemies mutate on the spot in RE 4 and 5? I don't think thats really a change. Man I wish I could get excited for RE 6 but that trailer turned me off from the game completely.

Yeah, guess you're right with the whole giant head-popping parasites. Just een playing a lot of Gears 3 lately and that's exactly what first came to mind when I saw the image. That and it looks like a Hydralisk is growing out of his arm.

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

@Abyssfull: True enough. I think this is the first one with crazy arm mutations.

#15 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@Abyssfull: Didn't the enemies mutate on the spot in RE 4 and 5? I don't think thats really a change. Man I wish I could get excited for RE 6 but that trailer turned me off from the game completely.

Yeah the parasites would come out and attack, making the enemy attack pattern entirely different. I'm excited nonetheless though. While RE may not be the series I want it to be, it's still pretty damn entertaining.

#16 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I really want somebody to acquire the 28 Days Later license and make a survival horror.
 
and that is wildly off topic.

#17 Posted by Jaytow (694 posts) -

They announced that the 10 year thing was a mistake and that it would take place in 2013 weeks ago.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21656 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

They announced that the 10 year thing was a mistake and that it would take place in 2013 weeks ago.

The stuff that originated on that 360 site? Yeah, I knew of that, but CAPCOM themselves never officially said as such until now.

#19 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I absolutely hated Resi 5, so if it's anything like that (which I imagine it will be) then I'm out. If it's, you know, not a poor imitation of Gears next time then hey, I'll actually play it.

#20 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

I absolutely hated Resi 5, so if it's anything like that (which I imagine it will be) then I'm out. If it's, you know, not a poor imitation of Gears next time then hey, I'll actually play it.

I'm curious to know what it was that you hated about it. Was is just the focus on action rather than scares?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.