Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Resident Evil 6 User Review by Guy with Barry Burton Avatar.

• 119 results
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@DarkbeatDK said:

I thought RE6 was pretty good.

It's true that it's not "survival horror" any more and that there's plenty of other action games out there, but I like the focus on very old-school action mechanics like animation framing and pattern recognition in boss fights.

It's just not something you see in modern western games anymore. In something like Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, if you have to do a certain action your character will slide into the animation... Here you need to line up things like headstomps and other melee attacks to actually hit. It's very evocative of a fighting game.

I would like to know what you mean by that last sentence? How does it evoke a fighting game exactly?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#102  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: I'm pretty sure he means the specificity that you have to execute some moves with. A lot of the things you can do are very context specific to where you shoot someone or even what kind of enemy they are.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#103  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I'm not sure if these are the right words for it, but it feels like there have been thought about things like animation priority and frames when you perform actions.

If you play something like Gears of War and get a prompt to chainsaw someone in half up close, the characters will kinda slide into place to perform the action, but here your relative position is taken into consideration.

When Brad mentioned on the quicklook and podcast that the jumping zombies in the graveyard was "impossible to avoid", it's because he was unaware of the dodge mechanic and the quick shot mechanic which can be used to stun enemies out of their attack animation and set them up for takedowns. To me, that sounds like someone who says that it's "impossible to avoid getting hit" in a fighting game when they just duck and hold back and are unaware of things like overhead attacks and crossups.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

The saddest thing about 6 is they pretty much turned their back on their fans (alot of them) to try and pull in a different audience.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By RAMBO604

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

The saddest thing about 6 is they pretty much turned their back on their fans (alot of them) to try and pull in a different audience.

They drew the line in the sand with RE4 as far as turning their back on fans goes. That is not a new development and anyone who frequented message boards in 2005 can attest to the hardest of hardcore considered 4 an abomination. Code Veronica was the last Resident Evil game to be released. Everything after that regardless of quality has carried on in name only.

Resident Evil 4 was an excellent game that had nothing to do with RE aside from it's title and Leon. RE5 on the other hand is the biggest disappoint in the core franchise. Capcom had the perfect opportunity to take lessons learned from 4 and apply those to the fundamentals from the first couple games, they were still positively in the public mind share and they had the talent do something special. What we got was Chris on steroids fighting more plagas enemies, a final boss fight against one of video gaming's best villains in a volcano, and franchise ruining co-op.

RE6 is still not a "Resident Evil" game but its at least going for partial credit with some of its good ideas despite its numerous bad ones. Capcom today is a company that is now viewed less than favorably and all it's big names have hit the eject button over the last few years. Capcom tried to solve this problem with 6 by throwing money and a ton of people at it. Brute force got them something resembling what fans wanted but surrounded on all sides by what they didn't. There is a diamond in the rough buried there. I think Capcom now needs to realize what has gone wrong. They need to step back and go we are unable to do this on our own. They need to find a western studio who is passionate about the franchise and is competent enough to actually handle it. Make this The Resident Evil. A hard reboot on the franchise in terms of fiction and gameplay.

FrankieFigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By FrankieFigs

@RAMBO604 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

They drew the line in the sand with RE4 as far as turning their back on fans goes. That is not a new development and anyone who frequented message boards in 2005 can attest to the hardest of hardcore considered 4 an abomination. Code Veronica was the last Resident Evil game to be released. Everything after that regardless of quality has carried on in name only.

Resident Evil 4 was an excellent game that had nothing to do with RE aside from it's title and Leon. RE5 on the other hand is the biggest disappoint in the core franchise. Capcom had the perfect opportunity to take lessons learned from 4 and apply those to the fundamentals from the first couple games, they were still positively in the public mind share and they had the talent do something special. What we got was Chris on steroids fighting more plagas enemies, a final boss fight against one of video gaming's best villains in a volcano, and franchise ruining co-op.

RE6 is still not a "Resident Evil" game but its at least going for partial credit with some of its good ideas despite its numerous bad ones. Capcom today is a company that is now viewed less than favorably and all it's big names have hit the eject button over the last few years. Capcom tried to solve this problem with 6 by throwing money and a ton of people at it. Brute force got them something resembling what fans wanted but surrounded on all sides by what they didn't. There is a diamond in the rough buried there. I think Capcom now needs to realize what has gone wrong. They need to step back and go we are unable to do this on our own. They need to find a western studio who is passionate about the franchise and is competent enough to actually handle it. Make this The Resident Evil. A hard reboot on the franchise in terms of fiction and gameplay.

Yes. I like 4 for all it's worth, but goddammit I agree with you on pretty much all points.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#107  Edited By Yummylee

@DarkbeatDK said:

Well, the comparison to Vanquish, in my head at least, was that it has a misunderstood fighting system as well... Except Vanquish explains how to use it, but maybe not stress enough how important it is.

Maybe the reason why I haven't had much frustration with the Quick Time Events or the set pieces is that I just like Resident Evil a whole lot and so I'm willing to look past a lot.

mentioned the Castlevania series, which I only have a moderate interest in and I steered completely clear of Lords of Shadow, even though it's exactly the same as Resident Evil 6: Full of Quick time events, overly bombastic and incredibly long.

If the box hadn't said Resident Evil 6, I probably wouldn't have given it the time or fallen in love with the combat system.

You do realise that what you're basically saying here is that you're a fanboy who is able to shrug off a lot of RE6's faults solely because of the name? And stating that Lords of Shadow is ''exactly the same as Resident Evil 6'' is a massive stretch. They both have QTE's, large-scale encounters ect. sure, but... one's a shooter whereas the other is an action/adventure game with God of War-esque combat. To relate games based on whether they have QTE's or set-pieces would mean RE6 is ''exactly the same'' as a lot of games out there. I should preface this by admitting that I haven't played a whole lot of Lords of Shadow (didn't care much for it; weak platforming/traversal stuff and the combat wasn't to my liking all that much), but I've played enough--say, 3 hours--to know that your comparison is borderline nonsensical.

The closest sorts of comparisons, besides prior Resident Evil games of course, would be the Call of Duty series. Aggressively linear corridor crawls where you follow a waypoint everywhere, peppered with outrageous set-pieces here and there. In fact a few of RE6's moments are taken right out of the CoD series. The slow-mo moment where you have to kill the j'avo before he kills his hostage; those shoulder-button swapping QTE sequences; a snowmobile segment; opening the game in first-person as you slowly drag your partner out of a warzone with a QTE. There's even a little easter egg that is mimicked wholesale from Gears of War 3 at that, where you can watch Chris interact with some playground rides just like Cole can during his segment of the campaign.

Of course the CoD similarities aren't accidental, as CAPCOM have admitted that they were hoping to reel in the CoD crowd with their current direction of the RE franchise. It's also why they've been pushing for the 360 versions of RE games lately with temporary exclusivity deals and such.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just realized that thread title is going to be weird if you ever get to changing your avatar again.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Yummylee

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I just realized that thread title is going to be weird if you ever get to changing your avatar again.

I doubt I'll be changing my avatar anywhoo... least not for a long while before when everybody has moved on from RE6 and the resulting disaster it conjured. I've grown attached to Barry's aghast facial expression and besides my original Dylan Moran avatar, this is undoubtedly the longest time I've stuck with the same one.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By Sooty

@RAMBO604: Yeah I have a lot of malice towards 4 because it's using the Resident Evil name, despite stripping away everything I liked about the series.

If RE4 was a new IP then I'd probably have liked it, but it just wasn't what I wanted from a Resident Evil game. It started off okay and then just went off into action action action.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By RAMBO604

@Sooty: I think they should have just changed the handful of character details and the all of two lines referring to RE2 sold it as a new game from the creators of Resident Evil. And what I desperately wished would have came out instead was the second canceled RE4 that used the REmake engine and was set in Alaska and still had T-Virus zombies. That could have been something.

Haseo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Haseo

I've only played through the Jake and a little of the Chris play through so far but yeah RE is dead and this game was the final nail in the coffin. Sure I'll play it to completion but I don't think I'll play it again once I'm done, They should of just stuck with Leon's game and expanded that, since most say it's the best part of RE6. But they wanted the CoD audience to play this game, well looks like Crapcom failed there then only thing they did was piss off long time fans.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By OneManX

@FrankieFigs said:

@RAMBO604 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Yes. I like 4 for all it's worth, but goddammit I agree with you on pretty much all points.

I dunno.. 4 was the move they had to make. There was no way they could of gotten away with making a prettier RE3. Yeah the last part of that game, is where it falls apart, but from the Village to the Castle, that is Resident Evil, just this time, you can defend yourself.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RAMBO604

@OneManX: They could have made that move in terms of controls and gameplay but ditching 95% of the plot and the central enemy which I think is the foundation of Resident Evil was absolutely the wrong thing to do. There is nothing about that game that would have been worse had there been zombies instead of plagas and Umbrella instead of the cult.

Resident Evil's detractors complained about the controls, they were not saying throw everything out the window just the controls.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By OneManX

@RAMBO604 said:

@OneManX: They could have made that move in terms of controls and gameplay but ditching 95% of the plot and the central enemy which I think is the foundation of Resident Evil was absolutely the wrong thing to do. There is nothing about that game that would have been worse had there been zombies instead of plagas and Umbrella instead of the cult.

Resident Evil's detractors complained about the controls, they were not saying throw everything out the window just the controls.

I think the idea of having enemies react( grabbing limbs, dropping weapons, etc.) you needed something different, and the series has dipped into monsters before so switching to Las Plagas wasn't too big of a change, what I liked about RE4 was that it was different. And they tried something new, getting out of the city, a new setting. But it still had that moody tone, you still had to crowd manage, puzzles, inventory management (which I will admit, becomes an afterthought in that back 3rd) It's what I viewed Resident Evil to be. But that is just my interpretation of what RE is.

DamTheLad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By DamTheLad

Yeah, that pretty sums up what I think of RE6 minus the camera. I don't know why but the camera really annoy me. When you press the aiming button, the character goes in the middle of the screen and you can't see anything that coming in front of you.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117  Edited By Aarownd

As a long time very hardcore fan (I bought and completed Gun Survivor and I have a debug copy of the GBA game) I have to say that this game is perfectly fine. It has some of the most fluid third person shooting I've ever played, and outperforms most other TPS' I've played. Your movement and aiming is solid, and shooting enemies is very satisfying. The parts most people claim to have had huge problems with I soared through with no problems whatsoever, and I'm by no means even sufficient in my shooter skills. At no point did I find myself struggling to stay alive due to the melee and knife combat being so drastically improved. Some might say that this betrays the series roots, but RE6 is an action game. It's an action shooter that works extremely well as one of those types of games, but not at all as a survival horror game. If you go in expecting a horrific slow-paced puzzle solving spooktacular, then I can definitely see you being disappointed. But if you go in expecting a fluid third person action shooter, with a roller-coaster ride story set in the Resident Evil Universe, then there's nothing here to offend anyone.

Which really, that's what I don't get, people say this game is so bad, but there's no outright offensive about the way it plays, the combat is some of the most fun I've ever had with any shooter. Seriously though, the shooting is quick and responsive, the movement is brisk and snappy (See how I said the same thing but a tiny bit differently?) and enemies have enough variety to keep you from just fighting the same three models/types over and over. Why are people so upset at this game? It doesn't make sense to me. Aside from the roots of the game, there is nothing actually "Bad" about the game. It's fun to play, the story is over the top and fun, and it's an extremely good value in terms of content alone.

So to summarize; You're all pussies who don't like the game just because it's not as good as other entries in the series. Which isn't valid in the slightest.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Yummylee

Hahahahahaahaha. Oh, man. Good stuff.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#119  Edited By DharmaBum

@Yummylee: he's a hero of the Internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.