Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

So did the patch fix stuff? This game is fun!

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MikeFightNight

I recently just beat RE 5 for the first time and liked it quite a bit. So I decided to bite the bullet and check out RE 6. My curiosity had to know how such a big budget game could be so bad. I have finished the first two chapters of Jake and Leon, and have just started Chris... I am enjoying it so far. I mean, were people's gripes with it the controls or story? A mixture of both? Story is intriguing so far and I am having no problems with controls. So the people that hated it, had you made that decision as early as I am in the game? I remember people complaining about the QTE's and dying in battle. While I don't like QTE's in general they haven't been a problem for me so far. I'm wondering if they patched the timing, among other controls. Things I don't like that stand out though is no pause button, and the strange auto saves. I can see how not understanding how the auto save feature works would really make you angry if you quit and had to re-do a bunch of stuff. A question for those that have played the whole game. I read that playing the first two chapters of Jake, Leon then Chris is the best way to approach the story. Then switch off between a chapter from each after. I like this approach so far as I enjoy the change in pace and setting. I'm wondering if I should throw in Ada's campaign too, since she is unlocked from the start. Can anyone confirm if playing her first two chapters after Chris' is a bad idea with me learning too much at once?

stubadubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By stubadubb

I've only played Leon's campaign and that was pretty recently. Honestly I'm not sure if I played the majority of it pre or post patch, but based solely on Leon's campaign I don't really understand the hatred. It's not my favorite RE game, but I had a lot of fun with it, and damn that final boss sequence was enjoyable.

I've heard that Chris' campaign is much worse. I guess I'll find out shortly.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By DarthOrange

I have no idea what problem people had with it. It was fine pre-patch, and there is no noticeable difference post-patch. It was and continues to be a really fun game. 

@MikeFightNight said:
    I recently just beat RE 5 for the first time and liked it quite a bit. So I decided to bite the bullet and check out RE 6. My curiosity had to know how such a big budget game could be so bad. I have finished the first two chapters of Jake and Leon, and have just started Chris... I am enjoying it so far. I mean, were people's gripes with it the controls or story? A mixture of both? Story is intriguing so far and I am having no problems with controls. So the people that hated it, had you made that decision as early as I am in the game? I remember people complaining about the QTE's and dying in battle. While I don't like QTE's in general they haven't been a problem for me so far. I'm wondering if they patched the timing, among other controls. Things I don't like that stand out though is no pause button, and the strange auto saves. I can see how not understanding how the auto save feature works would really make you angry if you quit and had to re-do a bunch of stuff. A question for those that have played the whole game. I read that playing the first two chapters of Jake, Leon then Chris is the best way to approach the story. Then switch off between a chapter from each after. I like this approach so far as I enjoy the change in pace and setting. I'm wondering if I should throw in Ada's campaign too, since she is unlocked from the start. Can anyone confirm if playing her first two chapters after Chris' is a bad idea with me learning too much at once?
    I would recommend you save Ada for the end as her story is really the one that starts to make sense at why everything is happening. Are you playing with the default shooting setting or are you using the laser sight?
    Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Quarters

The patch fixed some camera stuff(you can pull it out more), but that's about it. Honestly, for all the people saying it's an utter travesty, there are many others(such as myself) that thought it was fantastic when it came out. You may just be more the type of person that will really enjoy it. As for Ada, if you play her first two chapters after Chris, you won't go any further in the timeline with her than Tall Oaks. You won't spoil any of the China stuff unless you go to Chapter 3 on. Chapter 3 and 4 have some spoilers for Chris' campaign(and a tad of Jake's), whereas Chapter 5 has spoilers for Leon.

As for Chris' campaign, I didn't have much of an issue with it. It's different, but it's fun in it's own way. Plus, it has some really good story beats. All together, easily one of the better games of the year. I can't help but feel some of the criticism(not all of it) is based of people just not knowing how to play the game. The balance you have to strike between melee and ranged combat, plus all the maneuvering options, lends to a much different feel for the combat, one that I really enjoyed. It takes a second to get used to it, but once you do, it's just fun to blitz dudes while sliding around. Mercs mode is awesome because of all of this.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeFightNight

@DarthOrange I'm using laser sight, feels like RE 5 to me. I actually just played through Ada's first two chapters today. Didn't find them too spoiler filled, I mean their was that one thing, but I had already suspected something was up. I find switching off between chapters really helps my overall enjoyment of the game. Seeing how things intertwine and the change in pace is great. The game does have some rough edges, but I went in expecting total garbage. So thinking that and not expecting much from it, I think it's great... Well so far anyway. I got everyone's first two chapters done, just finished Jake's third. I will continue to jump from Jake, Leon, Chris and Ada and see what happens.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange
    @MikeFightNight:  

So I'm not the only one who thinks Brad is crazy for liking RE5 then completely shitting on this. Once you change to laser sight it feels just like RE5. I am still a little irked at how harsh all the critics were with this game, who knows how many people they convinced to never try this game even though they were fans of RE4 and 5. I still want an RE7 sometime in the future. :(
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By recroulette

Did they fix the BS where you could be killed as soon the split-second after you got revived?

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeFightNight

Yeah, I have enjoyed RE in the past but wouldn't call myself a huge fan. Last RE I played before recently playing 5 was Code Veronica for the dreamcast. Because of all the hate surrounding it I would of probably never checked it out if it wasn't for me liking RE 5 and just having to know how they fucked up 6. Thing is, I have heard people's gripes about it so I went in cautiously, knowing about the weird save system and that you have a roll and quick attacks. No excuse for not teaching the mechanics but Quarters is right, once you get use to the mechanics it's fun.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

Nah, it's still shit.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones

The 4 main patch changes were An extra difficulty Co op with Ada Already unlocked Ada campaign ( and all the extra game modes) from the start Ability to tune the camera. I was one of the few who had a pretty decent time running through the campaigns in co op. I did pop the game in after the patch to see how the camera stuff works and its a bit clunky. You cannot manipulate in while you're in game. It must be done from the main menu. However, if that was your biggest problem with the game then I'd say this may help. I turned everything up the highest it could go and you can pull that camera really far back if you want too. I'm gonna say it doesn't fix a lot of things people didn't like about the game, but it sure does fix that one.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@DarthOrange said:

@MikeFightNight:

So I'm not the only one who thinks Brad is crazy for liking RE5 then completely shitting on this. Once you change to laser sight it feels just like RE5. I am still a little irked at how harsh all the critics were with this game, who knows how many people they convinced to never try this game even though they were fans of RE4 and 5. I still want an RE7 sometime in the future. :(

The game has actually gotten more mixed reviews than outright negative.

For the record I loved RE's 4&5 and have played the demo to 6 and was absolutely turned off to it. The QTE's seemed broken or they didn't correspond to what was actually going on onscreen. It did not feel anything like RE5 even when I changed the reticle to a laser sight and I played through RE5 and it's DLC again just before RE6 came out. During Jake's demo I was just frustrated with the enemies I was fighting against. Making the game more action focused but not giving adequate feedback from the enemies was a bad mistake. I can get blown back multiple times old school Castlevania style but the enemies don't even move when I shoot them? Chris' part of the demo didn't communicate what I was supposed to do so it felt aimless.

Now maybe it's all because it's a demo and there's some context that I'm missing but almost everything I've heard about this game talks about those same issues being present due to the lack of focus the game has by having four different campaigns that try to cater to any fan who has ever liked an RE game and it falling short of doing good by any of that. Maybe I'll get this game at a cheap price under $25 later down the road but that's more for academic purposes. I did that for Alpha Protocol and hated it.

You're allowed to like/love this game. Just don't think we don't have our reasons for disliking/hating it.

Avatar image for dancingpolkabear
    dancingpolkabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By dancingpolkabear

Nah, it's always been not bad. It's definitely not amazing or anything, but it does a piss poor job of explaining it's mechanics. When you get the hang of it, it's actually quite fun, they just throw in a bunch of poorly designed encounters in that put a halt to the flow.

Personally I think Brad was really bad at playing it. But it does raise the question, is it Brad's fault that after playing for 30 hours he had no clue that he could take cover, or was it the game's for not properly teaching it? I don't fault Brad for how he was at the game or his personal opinion because that was his experience.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

I dunno since I haven't played since the game came out but I fucking loved it at release. Played all the campaigns back to back, and then some.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By impartialgecko

@GunstarRed said:

Nah, it's still shit.

Pretty much this.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mpgeist

I think even if it is fun, people resent the fact that there isn't much surviving or horror in Resident Evil anymore.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer

RE5 and RE6 are completely different games. RE5 was a tactical game about resource management and space control in real-time. RE6 is a sub-par shooter made worse by the few bits of RE5 they chose to include in an incredibly misguided attempt to give the series some cohesion.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

I haven't tried RE6 with the improved camera, but regardless that's still Capcom fixing like 1/100 problems I had with that game overall. I'm sure I'd still find it to be a clumsy, boring QTE-centric mess with a disappointing story, terrible boss battles and a shamefully transparent CoD-inspired design.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

With tighter focus and direction on pacing and story telling and far less on multiplayer features it could have been the GOTY contender it should have been.

As it is it's a choppy flow of a game that reveals far too much too quickly and ends up only causing negative reactions to playing similar parts multiple times.

Had the story switched focus intentionally at vital moments and lost the access weight and stupidity it would have been a great game.

I still prefer it to 5 but I'm in RE5 is one of the worst games ever made wagon.

It's a rough game with enjoyable moments that I found myself going through wide ranges of emotion while playing. I liked it, others didn't, some thought it was awful. I'll just say it definitely isn't a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.