So Resident Evil 6... is a prequel?

  • 109 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

See, CAPCOM Unity stated that this is set 10 years after Raccoon City's destruction, which occurred in 1998, and Resident Evil 5 was set in 2009, so... this actually makes Resident Evil 6 a prequel to Resident Evil 5.

What the shit. Aren't there already enough? There was the Lost in Nightmares DLC story, which was set 3 years before RE5, and now there's Revelations which is set 4 years before RE5... and now we have the next numbered title that is also set before RE5. I guess even CAPCOM don't even know what the fuck to do after the fiction-suicide they created with RE5. This also looks like another opportunity to whisk in Wesker for no goddamn reason somewhere, if just for a cameo, too. Oh well, trying to understand and make sense of the timeline of RE at this point in it's lifetime is like trying to add some linearity to the Zelda timeline. It's pretty clear that CAPCOM don't have any clear canon in mind and just seemingly wing it with each sequel, which is kinda strange considering how more adamant they are supplying more timelines and chronology and shit.

Game still looks fantastic all the same, and it couldn't care if starred Chris and Leon during Junior High if it finally had them team up to kick butt.

#2 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10920 posts) -

You sure that isn't a mistake?

But then again, Jill is nowhere to be seen...

Eh, I don't mind. The game looks fun, and crazy. That's all I want. The RE games aren't exactly known for great stories, right? I mean, the voice acting in the first one is some of the best I've ever heard, but beyond that, nothing noteworthy, right?

Moderator
#3 Posted by Hailinel (24429 posts) -

Keep in mind that in order for President Graham to still be president for RE6, the game might have to be set before 2009. RE4 took place in 2004, if I'm not mistaken.

#4 Posted by N7 (3587 posts) -

It's actually 10 years, Japanese time. So that makes it 11 years after the leap year and daylight saving time.

#5 Edited by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

You sure that isn't a mistake?

I have a Barry Burton avatar.

@N7 said:

It's actually 10 years, Japanese time. So that makes it 11 years after the leap year and daylight saving time.

So... wait, what?

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10920 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You sure that isn't a mistake?

I have a Barry Burton avatar.

Not you, I mean at Capcom Unity. Maybe they got the wrong memo or something. I dunno!

Moderator
#7 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Well they needed some way to bring Wesker back without actually reviving him.

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Abyssfull said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You sure that isn't a mistake?

I have a Barry Burton avatar.

Not you, I mean at Capcom Unity. Maybe they got the wrong memo or something. I dunno!

I don't think so. I think maybe that the story will progress across the years; like for example, Chris' story may focus solely in 2008, whereas Leon, or even this third guy, might transcend RE5 and then eventually all three'll be together for the final fourth chapter of the RE6 story, set after RE5. But all the same, the chaos that is apparently erupting throughout the world during 2008 wasn't illustrated at all in RE5, so they may of dug themselves a hole in that regard.

EDIT: I mean it could be like how RE3 was both a prequel and a sequel to RE2, since it started before Leon/Claire arrived, but transpired after they escaped from the city. Though with that said, that was only a day's difference, not a year...

#9 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Keep in mind that in order for President Graham to still be president for RE6, the game might have to be set before 2009. RE4 took place in 2004, if I'm not mistaken.

Perhaps it is set in a universe where the 20th amendment doesn't exist? Dwight Eisenhower was president until he died, and founded Raccoon City, naming it for his favorite animal.

#10 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

I do not care. The game looks incredible. But I do think it is a prequel.  I believe 4 took place 5 years after two is it is definitely beyond that but clearly its before 5.

#11 Posted by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

odd, watching the trailer kind of seemed like it was a sequel. As for bringing Wesker back, kind of figured they would get some semblance of wesker in there by perhaps having that new guy with the shaved head turn out to be one of the weskers or something.

#12 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

oh god YES!!!! The Leon bits LOOK SO AWESOME OMGOMG fapping so hard right now, zombies are back omg omg that's so awesome, yes! :D

#13 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You sure that isn't a mistake?

I have a Barry Burton avatar.

@N7 said:

It's actually 10 years, Japanese time. So that makes it 11 years after the leap year and daylight saving time.

So... wait, what?

Best response ever!!!!

#14 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

@Gravier251 said:

odd, watching the trailer kind of seemed like it was a sequel. As for bringing Wesker back, kind of figured they would get some semblance of wesker in there by perhaps having that new guy with the shaved head turn out to be one of the weskers or something.

Yeah, it's rumored to be the surviving "child" of Albert, Alex.

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm so damn excited for this game. Capcom, why must you screw us over with MvC3, then release an awesome game the following year. Damn.

#16 Posted by wjb (1657 posts) -

Resident Evil timeline, lol.

Guys, it's obvious. Leon Kennedy went back to relive his childhood after Zelda played the Ocarina of Time, and the Resident Evil continuity has been split into multiple paths. 6 is obviously in the timeline when Chris Redfield failed to defeat Ganon, or something, and then zombies happened. Duh...

#17 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

@will_leisure said:

Resident Evil timeline, lol.

Guys, it's obvious. Leon Kennedy went back to relive his childhood after Zelda played the Ocarina of Time, and the Resident Evil continuity has been split into multiple paths. 6 is obviously in the timeline when Chris Redfield failed to defeat Ganon, or something, and then zombies happened. Duh...

Also, Wesker didn't kill Luke's father, he IS Luke's father!

#18 Posted by FateOfNever (1830 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Keep in mind that in order for President Graham to still be president for RE6, the game might have to be set before 2009. RE4 took place in 2004, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, but in RE4 that could have just been his first term and he was re-elected for a second term. He could be in office for up to 8 years, and since RE4 takes place in 2004, that would be either his first year of his first term or the first year of his second term. Assuming first year of first term, he could be president up until 2012.

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

I'll call a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

#20 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

If it means more Wesker, I'm all for a prequel. I don't like the way he went out in RE5.

#21 Posted by AndrewB (7592 posts) -

All this baggage fiction is why I want to see a Resident Evil reboot that isn't something like what they've done with Lara Croft*. But at this point, I don't know if there's some rabid fanbase happy with how everything went past RE4 that would reject anything like that.

* okay, I can't entirely stick with that statement since I haven't played the new Tomb Raider, but I dislike the premise when attached to that character.

Online
#22 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I'll call a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

For who?

#23 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

So speculation on this game being single player?

#24 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3859 posts) -

All I know is, I saw Leon S. Kennedy. Does CHRIS have a middle initial? No he does not. That is why Leon is better.
Ima play this game so hard no matter when it takes place.

#25 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@Gravier251 said:

odd, watching the trailer kind of seemed like it was a sequel. As for bringing Wesker back, kind of figured they would get some semblance of wesker in there by perhaps having that new guy with the shaved head turn out to be one of the weskers or something.

Yeah, it's rumored to be the surviving "child" of Albert, Alex.

Technically he would be Albert's ''sibling'' more than anything. But whatever he really is, inverted commas will be present!

#26 Edited by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti said:

So speculation on this game being single player?

Leon's story will almost assuringly be a solo affair, where as the third guy's story (let's call him Young Ocelot for now...) will no doubt focus on cooperative play. Chris isn't as easily identifiable; he's clearly working alongside a team, but I doubt that would feature like a 6 man cooperative team. They'll probably be there for stories sake, or Chris' story could even be implementing some kind of squad mechanics - which would be a pretty huge case of OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOO

#27 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

Seeing the cover system return was my "oh god no" moment. Leon will be Survival Horror/Action from RE4, Chris will be the RE5 Action, Troy Baker's Wesker will be Escape The Tyrant/QTE Escort. I dont really see multiplayer fitting in except in Chris's case.

#28 Posted by MiniPato (2735 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@DeathbyYeti said:

So speculation on this game being single player?

Leon's story will almost assuringly be a solo affair, where as the third guy's story (let's call him Young Ocelot for now...) will no doubt focus on cooperative play. Chris isn't as easily identifiable; he's clearly working alongside a team, but I doubt that would feature like a 6 man cooperative team. They'll probably be there for stories sake, or Chris' story could even be implementing some kind of squad mechanics - which would be a pretty huge case of OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOO

Chris's story is actually the competitive online mode. :O

#29 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@Abyssfull said:

@DeathbyYeti said:

So speculation on this game being single player?

Leon's story will almost assuringly be a solo affair, where as the third guy's story (let's call him Young Ocelot for now...) will no doubt focus on cooperative play. Chris isn't as easily identifiable; he's clearly working alongside a team, but I doubt that would feature like a 6 man cooperative team. They'll probably be there for stories sake, or Chris' story could even be implementing some kind of squad mechanics - which would be a pretty huge case of OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOO

Chris's story is actually the competitive online mode. :O

That notion alone is more terrifying than anything RE has done before.

lol j/k, it'd be hypocritical for me to say as such when I've been so accepting of Operation Raccoon City (though that is still just some silly spin-off), and the shooting in RE6 even looks like it'll be better anyway. I wouldn't want any competitive shizz in RE6, but at the same time I wouldn't be all too surprised if it was in there somewhere.

#30 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

Yeahhh... Which means we already know how it's going to end. Boo on that part, but the game looks like it may be fun anyways, and I'm excited to see if Leon and Chris will meet up eventually. I still wonder when they're going to do a MGS4 like RE where every known living character in the series comes together at some point.

#31 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@NTM said:

Yeahhh... Which means we already know how it's going to end. Boo on that part, but the game looks like it may be fun anyways, and I'm excited to see if Leon and Chris will meet up eventually. I still wonder when they're going to do a MGS4 like RE where every known living character in the series comes together at some point.

I feel like this might be that one; it may finally offer up a little closure for all the lesser known players like Rebecca, Barry, Billy, Ada ect. I also don't doubt that Leon and Chris will meet up for the final chapter; it'd be insane of them not to have these working together after they've finally been canonically placed in the same game. I think overall, if this really is a prequel and there wasn't an error somewhere, that this could be the game to tie everything else up, leaving only the Wesker/Umbrella plotline to be tackled together with RE5.

And then it all moves onto this Alex Wesker malarkey and Barry fights a bear just because I want that to happen.

#32 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

All this baggage fiction is why I want to see a Resident Evil reboot that isn't something like what they've done with Lara Croft*. But at this point, I don't know if there's some rabid fanbase happy with how everything went past RE4 that would reject anything like that.

* okay, I can't entirely stick with that statement since I haven't played the new Tomb Raider, but I dislike the premise when attached to that character.

Given everything I've seen since this trailer hit, apparently people are pretty attached to the current RE fiction, and are thrilled to see all these various characters involved. Or something.

As someone who is basically not attached to RE at all, I'm certainly all for a reboot. Having only played RE 4 (and I enjoyed it quite thoroughly), I have no connections to the past plotlines or even the specific characters in RE 4, really. The writing was so campy in RE 4 that all of the characters felt like archetypes. Leon was the generic white knight good guy, always honest and not taking advantage of the girl. Ashley was the generic damsel in distress. Krauser was the generic beefy lieutenant to the true villain. Ada is the generic kung fu spy who helps you but has mysterious motives (the Cyborg Ninja, as I like to call it). Chief Mendez is the generic foreign strongman of few words. You pretty much immediately knew what the characters were about as soon as they walked on the scene, because they were all obvious stock characters. It was great.

I hope they make RE 6 as much of a standalone story as RE 4, because that was one of the reasons everybody actually liked RE 4 so much. You could fully appreciate the game without reading a wiki on the RE storylines, and the whole thing resolved itself rather nicely (aside from some loose ends that were easy to ignore with Ada stealing the plagas).

#33 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

I think it's a sequel due to the fact that Leon has brought Ashley back and how the president turns into a zombie when he arrives back on US soil, and Ashley and Leon saying things in the trailer about "We caused this, didn't we?" which I think could be they accidentally brought the Los Plagas over. As for the China and Chris sections (assuming they are separate and no co-op, which I didn't see any of that in the game), those could be anywhere in the lineage, and the new third character = ???

#34 Edited by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

I think it's a sequel due to the fact that Leon has brought Ashley back and how the president turns into a zombie when he arrives back on US soil, and Ashley and Leon saying things in the trailer about "We caused this, didn't we?" which I think could be they accidentally brought the Los Plagas over. As for the China and Chris sections (assuming they are separate and no co-op, which I didn't see any of that in the game), those could be anywhere in the lineage, and the new third character = ???

Yes, it's clearly a sequel to RE4, but as I said in my OP, it's still set before RE5. I also suggested somewhere in here that maybe each story is set across different times, though they've so far given the impression that the entire world has erupted into a clusterfuck of B.O.W's and it's all happening simultaneously. Whatever the case, CAPCOM themselves said so that it ''has been ten years since the Raccoon City incident'' making it 2008, whereas RE5 takes place during 2009. Maybe they're only referring to the one of stories, but that's all there is to grasp at thus far.

#35 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I don't care about RE story anymore. If you do, you're basically hitting a rock with an egg. You're not gonna get any good results out of it.

#36 Posted by Antikythera (55 posts) -

I think the whole game is Co-op.

Chris + Young Guy that yells at Chris.

Leon + Ashley

Badass New Guy + Hipster Girl

#37 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

The ten years thing could just be approximate. Like people say it's a ten years since 9/11 happened.

Also, RE5 completely killed Resi's story. At this point, I just want it to be as balls-out insane as possible, which from the looks of the trailer, it's going to be.

That trailer looks like 5 different games in the same game. There's some Left 4 Dead abandoned city filled with zombies stuff, there's crazy monster movie mutants, there's global meltdown (apparently), there's zombie president, there's special ops dude Chris shooting people in China, there's special ops dude Chris shooting people in a snowy village and exploding in a tank...

#38 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@nohthink said:

I don't care about RE story anymore. If you do, you're basically hitting a rock with an egg. You're not gonna get any good results out of it.

Why? Because it's big? Any franchise that lasts this long is going to be pretty messy from a fictional standpoint, but all the same it's the story and its characters that endear so many fans, including myself. I'm purposely questioning this weird time-line bracket because I enjoy the story as much as I do.

A reboot would of made things considerably easier and it seems to be a running trend for a lot of the older franchises as of late, but if CAPCOM are willing to put in the effort into extending the story even wider, then I'm willing to put in the effort to understanding it as it carries on along. I've kept up to date with the story (and backstory) well enough so far, even if it took a nosedive with RE5, so the more fiction they throw out, the more I'm going to invest.

#39 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Maybe Graham ran was president in 2004, lost the chance for a second term, the next election after that he won.

#40 Posted by captainawesomo (181 posts) -

WTF is going on in that trailer? At this point in the Resident Evil fiction nothing matters to me anymore. All I can do is hope that Chris punches as many boulders as possible in a steroid induced rage and that Barry fights a zombie bear with his bare hands.

#41 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

It is entirely possible that Leon, Chris, and the new guy's stories take place at different times.

#42 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

It is entirely possible that Leon, Chris, and the new guy's stories take place at different times.

Yeah, I've already said that a few times in here. But the way CAPCOM presented the press release sounds like it's all occurring at once; they never specified any dates and just said that it's ''10 years after the Raccoon City incident'' implying that it's all happening concurrently. Of course this could be their attempt to just be purposely vague, and I'm of course not against the idea that each story occurs at differing times. Leon's story is what will most likely take place during 2008, that's almost assured.

#43 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Resident Evil 5 accidentally ended the entire franchise storyline. I can see them trying to keep it going by inserting stories before that game. I'd like to see them eventually fight a new threat, or a new, rising evil madman or something, after the events of Resident Evil 5.
#44 Posted by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull: Resident Evil 5 accidentally ended the entire franchise storyline. I can see them trying to keep it going by inserting stories before that game. I'd like to see them eventually fight a new threat, or a new, rising evil madman or something, after the events of Resident Evil 5.

They only ended the Wesker/Umbrella plot, which I had no problem with. It was the way it was handled that was so facepalming. There's still all kinds of loose threads like Ada (who's meant to star in RE6, fortunately), Nicholai, Steve, Sherry (which would be killer if she became the next primary villain) and now there's these Vector motherfucker's from Revelations who may be stepping up if they're also not simultaneously introduced and then wiped out in the same appearance.

#45 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

So am I the only one who doesnt like RE5 and kind of gave up on RE?

#46 Edited by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti said:

So am I the only one who doesnt like RE5 and kind of gave up on RE?

Plenty of people are a bit iffy towards RE5. I don't personally hate it, since I can't deny that I had fun for the majority of the first half and I near enough platinum'd it (I got bored with PRO mode because I was just using the hydra sawn-off shotgun with infinite ammo throughout), but the terrible middle ground it planted itself into, sticking with survival horror controls and conventions yet still clearly trying to veer it into an all-out shooter, burned it to the ground. Plus the story was weak and it was a poor send off for Wesker.

#47 Edited by Rolyatkcinmai (2686 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

@Hailinel said:

Keep in mind that in order for President Graham to still be president for RE6, the game might have to be set before 2009. RE4 took place in 2004, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, but in RE4 that could have just been his first term and he was re-elected for a second term. He could be in office for up to 8 years, and since RE4 takes place in 2004, that would be either his first year of his first term or the first year of his second term. Assuming first year of first term, he could be president up until 2012.

Or he could pull a Grover fucking Cleveland and serve two non-consecutive terms whenever the fuck he wants. He could be president in 2050 if he lives long enough.

@Harkat said:

The ten years thing could just be approximate. Like people say it's a ten years since 9/11 happened.

I'm curious when you think 9/11 happened.

#48 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull: Resident Evil 5 accidentally ended the entire franchise storyline. I can see them trying to keep it going by inserting stories before that game. I'd like to see them eventually fight a new threat, or a new, rising evil madman or something, after the events of Resident Evil 5.

They only ended the Wesker/Umbrella plot, which I had no problem with. It was the way it was handled that was so facepalming. There's still all kinds of loose threads like Ada (who's meant to star in RE6, fortunately), Nicholai, Steve, Sherry (which would be killer if she became the next primary villain) and now there's these Vector motherfucker's from Revelations who may be stepping up if they're also not simultaneously introduced and then wiped out in the same appearance.

What loose ends does Nicholai have? I'm pretty sure it's canon that you kill him at the end of RE3

#49 Edited by Yummylee (21553 posts) -

@Linkin10362 said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull: Resident Evil 5 accidentally ended the entire franchise storyline. I can see them trying to keep it going by inserting stories before that game. I'd like to see them eventually fight a new threat, or a new, rising evil madman or something, after the events of Resident Evil 5.

They only ended the Wesker/Umbrella plot, which I had no problem with. It was the way it was handled that was so facepalming. There's still all kinds of loose threads like Ada (who's meant to star in RE6, fortunately), Nicholai, Steve, Sherry (which would be killer if she became the next primary villain) and now there's these Vector motherfucker's from Revelations who may be stepping up if they're also not simultaneously introduced and then wiped out in the same appearance.

What loose ends does Nicholai have? I'm pretty sure it's canon that you kill him at the end of RE3

The RE5 timeline stated that he reached the helicopter before Jill & Carlos, and since it didn't mention if he was shot down by Jill or not, I'm sure that's meant to imply that he escaped.

#50 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

TIME PARADOX

snake...snake...SNAKKEEEEEEEEEEEE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.