Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

The new demo is out. I think its way better.

• 82 results
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

I believe it's only in the uk right now but anyway, man what an improvement over the DD exclusive demo. First things first, most of the nasty technical issues I saw in the early demo are all but eradicated. No screen tearing, pretty solid framerate and the camera has been tweaked. It can still be a bit wonky but aiming wise to me it is much more comfortable.

Leona campaign is most definitely their new take on the old horror. It's still very atmospheric with a bit more action thrown in. The environment is pretty moody and I even jumped once or twice. Really can't wait to jump into his. Also zombies break apart very nicely in it and are pretty effective in larger groups

Chris's campaign further pushes the action but with a better camera and a much more open environment it's fine. There are some good set piece moments and it felt good. I'm hoping that even slows down a bit but I'm ok with a dose of action with my horror

James campaign really didn't diverge into its own category (from the demo). From what I've read his will mostly be a car and mouse game with the nemesis type monster that I don't remember it's name. In the demo though, he definitely encounters the most strange BOWs such as a fish/reptile hybrid and an enemy that replaces his dismembered limbs with a centipede one.

Overall I feel much better about the game after playing this. Really looking forward to Leons campaign along with everyone else's. So what do you guys think about the new demo?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

Sorry in advance for grammar. It's really late and I'm on my phone

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By AssInAss

Someone get Conan thumbs up Leon gif.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

@AssInAss said:

Can you confirm or deny whether Leon's shoulder is still totally detached from the rest of his body?

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By zyn

Hm.. I don't see the demo on the Demos section of the Game Marketplace. You sure it's available in the UK now?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

Who's Leona?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By morningstar

I will still wait for the reviews for this one, first demo made me not preorder.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@Vinny_Says said:

Who's Leona?

This Leona?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AssInAss

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Just played through it all myself, and yes it is undoubtedly a massive improvement over the first demo. The camera is much easier to manage--though it's still a little too close to the character when you're running about--and each of the three campaign segments gives a more favourable look at how the game will play out.

Leon's in particular is looking to be OK. Though while zombies are still barely a threat as you mow them down headshot after headshot, they're at least pretty fun to shoot and they break part really nicely. Good sense of atmosphere and all that, and the part where you're searching for the keys in the police car (I'm surprised, and a little disappointed, that CAPCOM resisted on making some callback to Leon's rookie cop days and his car crash during RE2's opening) was... well, it wasn't exactly thrilling, but it was a neat touch all the same.

Chris' unfortunately still continues to suck, though, and I think it's such a disservice to the guy who lead the charge of the series all the way back at the start to have to fill up the army-man- action-bro portion of the game. The J'avo just aren't all that fun to fight; they have terrible AI, the cover system is still awkward and cumbersome, and they're not nearly as satisfying to kill as the zombies are. However, I'm still keen to see Chris' story pan out and watch him get all grizzled and bitter after all of the deaths and all of the constant B.O.W. battling he's being doing for around a third of his entire life. I also chuckled at the line ''Is he always this awesome?'' Yuri Lowenthal's character asks.

Jake's is... well, Jake's is pretty much Chris' only Jake is of course still equipped to perform all of those snazzy looking melee attacks he somehow inherited from Papa Wesker.... I still stand by (or rather deeply wish that) the idea that Jake is a clone made up of Albert and Steve Burnside's DNA and he's actually only like 3 years old or something. But anywhoo, a lot of Chris' complaints cross over into Jake's.

On a more positive note I do think it's a cool effect how the J'avo will sometimes become enveloped in that strange goo and freeze... Frankly with the clumsy melee system and crappy Gears clone gameplay, I'm still not absolutely ecstatic to play more of Chris' & Jake's. Leon's is definitely the Golden Child of it all, though I also more than ever just wish I could play the thing on my own, with no AI partner also snagging headshots one after another with ease. Guess there's still Ada's campaign. The fact that Leon is also eventually going to fly into Lanshiang and, most likely, find himself squaring off against a battalion of J'avo only dampers my impression all the more. However, this is still a much better demo than the original and there's a decent chance that people who are fond of RE4/RE5 but were turned off by RE6's first demo may find themselves left with a more positive perception of the game after giving this one a go.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By zyn

Demo available now for UK.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Want to play it. I want it to be good. I don't care action horror, survival horror; actually I looked on Wikipedia and Capcom's new name for this game is 'dramatic horror' which is hysterical. I don't care about zombies, J'avo, Ganados, Nemesis, Fake Nemesis, just make it fun or interesting.

I realized I don't necessarily like horror games because I like to be scared, I like them because I like the subject matter. I like House Full of Ghosts, and Something Is In The Walls and Creature From Beyond Man's Sanity. I think I have a different reaction to horror than most, though. Some get scared and want to run away, I get angry and berserker rush things I maybe shouldn't. That was what Slender taught me. I wasn't going to cower for 40 minutes through the woods, I was going to scream and rush him and whatever happens happens.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By AngelN7

Is this out for PSN or do you have to be a PS+ member?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AngelN7 It's out only in the uk. Should be up for us later today. I just made a fake account to get it
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

I like it much more than the Dragon's Dogma build earlier in the year. The leon stuff was by far the best bits.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Demoskinos Definitely agree. It just felt satisfying to blow the zombies away. Also there were some pretty tense moments that I put the dive and roll to good use. Dive n' roll ftw.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Solh0und

Well....can't wait to play it guise!

Just waiting for the PSN store to update since....I don't have XBL gold.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By musubi

@Sackmanjones: The part where I got most into it was where the alarm went off in that tiny hallway. Good stuff. Zombies everywhere. Also I like jake. He is the kind of cocky that Dante in DMC 3 is. He is good and he knows he's damn good and lets everyone know it. Chris' stuff though was eh....okay I guess? Interested to see how the ada stuff plays out too.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Lukeweizer

Haven't played the demo yet, but I'm still not sure if this is the Resident Evil game I want. They preach about atmosphere and less action, but I don't trust any PR team.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solh0und

@Demoskinos said:

@Sackmanjones: The part where I got most into it was where the alarm went off in that tiny hallway. Good stuff. Zombies everywhere. Also I like jake. He is the kind of cocky that Dante in DMC 3 is. He is good and he knows he's damn good and lets everyone know it. Chris' stuff though was eh....okay I guess? Interested to see how the ada stuff plays out too.

Hmm maybe that's why I like Jake.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@Lukeweizer said:

Haven't played the demo yet, but I'm still not sure if this is the Resident Evil game I want. They preach about atmosphere and less action, but I don't trust any PR team.

Say wut. Well regardless of what you've heard, RE6 is easily the most action-orientated of the series.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Yummylee said:

@Lukeweizer said:

Say wut. Well regardless of what you've heard, RE6 is easily the most action-orientated of the series.

EXPLOSIONS!!!
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Yummylee I'd imagine the zombies would get worse has your progress through Leon's campaign. But ya I was a little disappointed by how easy they went down but I didn't notice how much health they can take down if they grab you. I'll probably be playing on hard like I have every re game though to increase the tension.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Intelligent_Space_Man: The options menu doesn't but I there is a pause button
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By handlas

I quite liked it. Camera can be clunky. Controls can feel clunky. But it was still fun. There's my short review.

Chris's little segment was my favorite.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Wemibelle

Now that I've played it, I can confirm that I absolutely hate how it plays. It doesn't feel like a RE game at all and even as a third-person action game, it is sloppy and loose.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

I wouldn't call it "way better" but it's probably a far better representation of what the full game will be like. The camera still has issues and I know I've seen a developer mess with the camera in a video somewhere (post DD demo) so I'm not that worried about it, but the camera in the demo is still far too close to the character on screen. I did get a much better sense of how the shooting works. The context based kill animations are pretty fun.

Leon. The best section, although you can still run around mashing the right trigger. It's not scary at all, because none of the zombies really seem like a threat. I liked the old sounding horror film music. The scene that plays out before the gameplay is well acted which kinda weirds me out in a Resident Evil game.

Jake. I hated this section, it felt a little like the annoying parts on the boat at the end of Resident Evil 5. I loved the gelling up effect and the way the bug-dog-things burst out of the back of them though. Love Sherry's character model...once again well acted. I like Jake here also. He has the right level of selfish, dickishness without being annoying.

Chris. I could leave it on the character select screen forever. Chris is probably thinking about what Resident Evil has become... so, "I am new recruit DEAD MCDEADERSON reporting for duty sir!" So I liked this section...kinda. Its a little too shooty, but it looks stunning when the scene opened up and you were driving through the streets I was taken aback.

There's still something a little off about it all, and there's no way I'm not playing this game. I have enjoyed all of the main series entries (minus the GC ones) up to this point and it would be weird to not play this. Maybe the full game will blow me away. It wouldn't be the first time I have had issues with a demo and then go on to adore the full game of something, but who knows.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By Sooperspy

I'm not gonna lie. I hate it. It just isn't what I want from a Resident Evil game, and I think it plays pretty horribly too.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By N7

The whole thing felt so awkward. Leon was fun, it could be a little slower paced to make it feel less rushy, but it was still the best. I liked Jake too, because you can fight people with your fists. Also you're Wesker's son so that's fucking tight.

Chris was weird. They introduce it in a very band-of-brothers way and then you meet a plot device who you know is going to die immediately. And man was that shooting awkward... It didn't feel good at all.

The whole thing felt like they were trying to make it as western as possible, without actually thinking about what that means. So, it's sooper shooty and actiony, but man does it play poorly.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

The Leon section: The camera feels way too close. It's making me cross-eyed. It took several attempts to get the camera to let me open a desk.

The Chris section: I couldn't even finish it. Want to play the worst shooter ever? Play the Chris section.

The Jake section: Similar to the Leon section with more annoying enemies? I don't know. I'm still thinking about how bad the last part was.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cannonballbam

@Solh0und: Dante has always been cocky, not just in your favorite entry in the series.

@ExplodeMode said:

The Leon section: The camera feels way too close. It's making me cross-eyed. It took several attempts to get the camera to let me open a desk.

The Chris section: I couldn't even finish it. Want to play the worst shooter ever? Play the Chris section.

The Jake section: Similar to the Leon section with more annoying enemies? I don't know. I'm still thinking about how bad the last part was.

The Chris section was rad, did you not slide under train cars and jump onto the back of an evolved granado?

I love the interactive kills and new health tablet system. I can run up behind zombies and bulldog them? sign me up.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beargirl1

i didn't expect to be as disappointed as i am when i started it up. the Chris section is terrible. when i started it, i wasn't even sure if i was playing a Resident Evil game anymore. i can't imagine that section being any less fun or exciting than it was. i didn't play the Jake section (i'ma co-op it tomorrow) but from the first few moments i tried of it, it seems like the same sort of action.

Leon's section was the best part of the demo, but it still wasn't as good as it could have been. the zombies get shot up nicely but it was far from scary. in fact, i'm starting to think that it was less scarier than Resident Evil 5.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ExplodeMode

@cannonballBAM: I quit before any of that I guess. Maybe only 10 minutes worth. No hyperbole, that small piece of it I played was the worst I've ever felt playing a shooter. I went into this thing fresh wanting to be positive too, because I knew there was some negativity about it, but wow it definitely isn't for me.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rabid619

Yeah I liked what I played in the demo. Leon's section was good, I really enjoyed the tension they built there, and the zombies were a fun enemy. Definitely looking forward to playing through his part of the game at least. Chris' section was... fine. Inoffensive, at least, and the design of the big monster was neat.

I have not gotten to Jake's section yet, however, as I had to stop playing after the other two sections. Did the movement bother anyone else? I ended up feeling very lightheaded after about 40 minutes of playtime, which is something that very rarely happens to me. Hopefully it's something that I can get used to.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By awesomeusername

I passed the part in Leon's section where your trapped in the hallway, then demo messed up on me and said I had to re-download it. Stupid PS3. But what I did play of it, I really didn't like. Controls are clunky, cameras too close, the shooting is weird, combats shitty, and everything is too dark. Like I can't see anything dark. I can't really explain it. Like the lights are on but you can't see the zombies faces or they're just a silhouette. It bothers me. I'll finish it tomorrow night but I don't expect to have fun.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Yummylee

@awesomeusername said:

I passed the part in Leon's section where your trapped in the hallway, then demo messed up on me and said I had to re-download it. Stupid PS3. But what I did play of it, I really didn't like. Controls are clunky, cameras too close, the shooting is weird, combats shitty, and everything is too dark. Like I can't see anything dark. I can't really explain it. Like the lights are on but you can't see the zombies faces or they're just a silhouette. It bothers me. I'll finish it tomorrow night but I don't expect to have fun.

That's weird. I mean agree to an extent with a lot of your complaints, but the lighting I had no issue with. That must be down to your TV I think.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By awesomeusername

@Yummylee said:

That's weird. I mean agree to an extent with a lot of your complaints, but the lighting I had no issue with. That must be down to your TV I think.

I don't know about that. When I played both Dead Space games, I had the darkness all the way down and it looked great. With the brightness all the way down in this game, I feel like I was staring at a pitch black room. I'll mess around with the brightness tomorrow. Maybe I'll find a fix for it.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

And I just paused the RE6 demo to write this post--Leon is flipping the fuck out in there.. does RE6 not actually pause?

I believe if you are playing in Online mode, then you cannot pause the game, but if you play Offline, then you can.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cannonballbam

@ExplodeMode: I have been a fan of the resident evil games for a long time and barely finished Zero and 1 (gamecube remake edition) for the first time recently. The series has come a long way and I have enjoyed my time with it. Sorry to hear your no longer a fan, it seems like any classic franchise with new gameplay/mechanics tend to be the death of them with fans.

DMC

Metal Gear Rising

and Resident Evil 6.

I don't know what people want anymore and that scares me as I am close to entering the world of game development.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Yummylee

@cannonballBAM said:

@ExplodeMode: I have been a fan of the resident evil games for a long time and barely finished Zero and 1 (gamecube remake edition) for the first time recently. The series has come a long way and I have enjoyed my time with it. Sorry to hear your no longer a fan, it seems like any classic franchise with new gameplay/mechanics tend to be the death of them with fans.

DMC

Metal Gear Rising

and Resident Evil 6.

I don't know what people want anymore and that scares me as I am close to entering the world of game development.

People are jumping ship from Resident Evil 6 because it's barely recognisable as Resident Evil anymore; it's losing its identity. Your examples don't work either because:

• DMC... is another DMC game, only with a different coat of paint. For all intents & purposes, it looks like a DMC game with recognisable attacks and gameplay.
    • Metal Gear Rising is a spin-off, and Ground Zeroes shows the same style of MGS gameplay the series has always had.

Resident Evil 6 on the other hand is a completely different sort of game from what the series once was. I mean it's changed genres almost completely now, going from its survival horror action/adventure roots to a full-on shooter. And I'm not saying Resident Evil had to stay the exact same forever, but its advancements are all going in such a radically different direction, with each game swaying the balance further towards action over any sort of adventure elements.

The really depressing thing about RE6 is, after sacrificing so much in favour of becoming an actual shooter, it's not even a very good shooter. And yes, I know, you think the shootings rad and what not. Though as I recall you also enjoyed the shooting in Yakuza: Dead Souls and... well, nuff said.

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The shooting in this demo was terrible. It's not hard to replicate resident evil 4 and then take it to it's next evolutionary step aka Dead Space 2's shooting mechanics. In fact someone should have shown Dead Space 2 to anyone at Capcom working on resident evil 6 and they should have said here copy this.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By minotaka

I reckon it was pretty damn good! I'll agree with Yummylee in the sense that the camera felt a bit to squished to the character models and I spent most of my time rolling around on the floor as Leon, trying to figure out what the hell I had done. I can see this game being quite a lot of fun as Co Op with a buddy.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arebuckle

My first 5 minutes with the Leon portion amounted to nothing more than "Oh my God, this is horrible! How bad was the first demo if this is better!?". However after adjusting the camera sensitivity and getting use to the movement, I started to enjoy it. Especially the hallway section. It was also nice to see that Leon has expanded his melee repertoire, he can pull of a rather nice bulldog. All was well in RE6 land. Until I started the Chris section.

It was ghastly! This game does not have the ability to be a straight up third person shooter. When it requires urgency and a modicum of precision it falls flat on it's face. The ability to move and shoot feels negligible in these sections, because you move far too slow. Let me put it this way. I enjoyed the shooting in Yakuza : Dead Souls and thought this was horrible. The main reason being, Yakuza wasn't trying to be Gears and it's ilk. I think Team Yakuza knew their shooting wasn't great and so they put in both auto and manual lock-on systems. Which made it fun for me. This doesn't have that. This just feel like a bad third person shooter, with no systems to help make up for it. The enemy AI is rather craptacular too, I would assume this was intended to make up for the horrid controls. I didn't like the fact that they felt it was required to add an objective marker to the already blatantly obvious weak spot on the giant B.O.W. That's more of a nitpick than a problem, but it still annoyed me slightly. Probably because I had to sit through the rest of the section to get there.

As for the Jake section. No idea, couldn't see anything.

And so this leads me to my final conclusion after I finished the demo. At the very least a 1/4 of this game will be good, at most 1/2. It depends on how Ada's campaign turns out. I'll be buying this, but mainly for the story. So make it a good one Capcom.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dropabombonit

Never played the 1st demo but don't like this demo at all. It just doesn't feel right when compared to games like DS2. Will wait and see on this game but have been put off by the demo

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By AndrewB

@Cloudenvy said:

@AssInAss said:

Can you confirm or deny whether Leon's shoulder is still totally detached from the rest of his body?

I haven't seen such a glorious spectacle since Madden 2000 on the PC. So wish I could find a Youtube clip...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rafaelfc

I really enjoyed the demo. loved the different nuances between the campaigns and thought the action was satisfying.

I am the wild minority here though, I've appreciated EVERY single Resident Evil game (specially 5, what a great game) and can't wait to put my hands on this.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cannonballbam

@Yummylee: Haha, talk about a personal attack to vindicate one's dislike . I am picking up all three of those titles, so I can tell you personally how "rad" they are.

@Rafaelfc said:

I really enjoyed the demo. loved the different nuances between the campaigns and thought the action was satisfying.

I am the wild minority here though, I've appreciated EVERY single Resident Evil game (specially 5, what a great game) and can't wait to put my hands on this.

you sir, are "rad".

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Deranged

@Yummylee: I thought the demo improved drastically over the original. Chris' campaign was a little too much action and it was kind of annoying to fight the J'avo yes, but it was at least operable. Jake's campaign is an odd one. I have no idea what's going on even though I'm most interested to see how his will pan out. Leon's campaign is by far the best. Zombies make a come-back and it's very much welcomed!

Overall, I was impressed by the changes the demo made and I love the roll mechanic added into the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Yummylee

@cannonballBAM: ...What are you even talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.