Was that Ashley from RE4 in the trailer?

#1 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

In the scenes of the trailer with the new character who has super human strength there's a blonde woman with short hair helping him. She says she won't let anything happen to him and that the planet needs him.

She looks like an older Ashley from RE4 and sounds quite a bit like her.

What are your thoughts?

I still think the new character is Hunk from his quote in the trailer that "Being a mercenary was much easier"

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

That's what a lot of people are saying, and it does certainly look and sound a fair bit like her... so it's a reasonable assumption. As for the mystery third guy (who reminds me a little bit of Young Ocelot, personally), it's looking to be a tie between HUNK and Steve Burnside. I'd place my chips with Steve more so than HUNK, because it'd didn't suit the kind of reveal such a mysterious character like that should be given. I would of envisioned the game actually showing him take off his mask; it'd be a pretty big moment since he's never taken off his mask in any of the games, minus that RE3 epilogue. Plus it would make sense for Steve because a) GINGER HISSSS... b) he talks about his blood containing something important, which could be referring to the Veronica virus that he still has flowing through after Veronica, and whatever else Wesker did to him afterwards.

As for the mercenary thing, it's been a long time since we've canonically seen Steve, so him becoming a merc in between shit would make sense. Also I just don't think HUNK should be a lead character; his sole character trait is his mystery. He should forever stay neutral behind the scenes, or should act instead as some sort of reluctant supporting hero out of the shadows.

Online
#3 Edited by Zacagawea (1581 posts) -

I don't know but what I do know is her voice was fucking annoying

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

I don't know but what I do know is her voice was fucking annoying

More evidence to suggest that it was Ashley ;P

Online
#5 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

If it is her then I'd rather just escort her instead of letting her dumb AI use the pistol all the time and waste all her ammo and health items. Armor suit Ashley was more useful than AI Sheva.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

If it is her then I'd rather just escort her instead of letting her dumb AI use the pistol all the time and waste all her ammo and health items. Armor suit Ashley was more useful than AI Sheva.

The trick with the AI in RE5 was to give it a machine gun and a sniper rifle; she (or he... you could play solo as Sheva after all and have Chris take up the AI slot) would be surprisingly conservative with her ammo for the machine gun, shooting enemies in small bursts, and the AI is a fucking demon with the sniper rifle, too.

Online
#7 Edited by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Eh, I agree with you that the snippets from what little we have seen of this new character. That his personality does kind of seem like Steve from Code Veronica. But then again Hunk has had no personality whatsoever from what we've seen and we're purely speculating on the mercenary quote from the trailer.

It's just kind of a stretch for me that Steve survived Code Veronica after turning into the giant green monster. But hey, it's Capcom right.

edit: I do remember that in Resident Evil 3 there where those epilogues about different characters and there was one about Hunk saying that he "was always the one that survived" from his own perspective

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike said:

@Abyssfull: Eh, I agree with you that the snippets from what little we have seen of this new character. That his personality does kind of seem like Steve from Code Veronica. But then again Hunk has had no personality whatsoever from what we've seen and we're purely speculating on the mercenary quote from the trailer.

It's just kind of a stretch for me that Steve survived Code Veronica after turning into the giant green monster. But hey, it's Capcom right.

Wesker explicitly said that he could ''revive'' Steve, and it was also the only way he was able to obtain the T-Veronica virus to help create Uroborus as well. Whatever Wesker possibly did to him, it could explain why Steve too is also some martial artist maestro; plus that injection he gives himself could be to help keep him in control, so he doesn't ''Ogre out''. Again, I don't think it's HUNK because it just seems weird to elevate him to such a pivotal role, when up until then he would of been nothing but a badass behind a gasmask, with no real allegiances or personality. The only reason people like HUNK is because of his outfit, and while it's true that RE characters aren't exactly rifled with depth and stuff, HUNK is barely even a character at all. It'd be too big of a leap I think.

And even still, putting all this aside, the mystery guy could also just be a completely new character...

Online
#9 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

That it was a slightly more mature Ashley was my first thought. I figured that was in the bag, what with the plot involving the President in some way anyway.

#10 Posted by Marokai (2805 posts) -

I'd recognize her piercing, shrill voice anywhere. It was definitely her.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I assumed it was her to.

#12 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

It's her. I've playing a lot of RE4 lately and that is the exact same voice actor.

#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Abyssfull: I really am starting to feel that I'm the only person who never had an issue with Sheva. Understandably, co-op AI buddies get a bad rap, but Sheva never caused an issue with me. Even some of the boss battles and puzzles weren't issues, where you'd think AI would go right to the dumpster. I think she's some of the better co-op AI I've seen.
#14 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

It's her. I've playing a lot of RE4 lately and that is the exact same voice actor.

Just don't go on Gamefaqs and try to say that. Jesus, those people can't accept anything.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull: I really am starting to feel that I'm the only person who never had an issue with Sheva. Understandably, co-op AI buddies get a bad rap, but Sheva never caused an issue with me. Even some of the boss battles and puzzles weren't issues, where you'd think AI would go right to the dumpster. I think she's some of the better co-op AI I've seen.

You're preaching to the choir here. I've been saying all along that the RE5 friendly AI is some of the best around, and nothings ever gonna take it down...

Online
#16 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

No it was Ashley from Mass Effect.

Depending on your choices in Resident Evil 5 it might be Kaidan.

#17 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Hopefully not that bitch was annoying.

#18 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

That voice was 100% her or at least her voice actor. There's no way that wasn't the same voice actor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.