Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 24, 2017

Six years after the events of Resident Evil 6, newcomer Ethan receives a message from his presumed dead wife to reunite with her at the residence of the reclusive Baker family. The game features a first-person view and a return to traditional Survival Horror mechanics.

Resident Evil 7 Impressions

• 105 results
    Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gamb1t: I'll check that. I think that might have been one of the few settings I didn't have maxed, but I don't recall. I've also heard shadow caching can cause some hiccups. I'm fairly certain that's set to off for me, but I'll also double-check that.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By DharmaBum

@frostyryan: I'm aware that they are different games attempting different things. I only brought up 5 because it remains my favorite in the series, not to claim that 7 should've gone further down the action route (then you wind up with something like 6).

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite some annoying stutters that my system shouldn't experience at all, after fixing those, it's one of the best Resident Evil experiences I've had since my childhood. Completed it in a day, 8 hours or so.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked it up on Friday and on Saturday night I started it up. I barely got 11 minutes in and I had to stop. I got a little further in today and I just can't do this game.

Even with a bright sunny day and some of Mouth Moods in the background I'm just a wreck. I haven't had this problem with literally any other RE game I've played.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Finally finished the game last night. Think I ran on the longer side of things--almost twelve hours to complete that first playthrough.

Largely in agreement that Resident Evil 7's opening, most forward foot is its best. The half of the game set within the Baker estate is really gripping. I would LOVE to experience the game's first half hour in VR (though I think playing the entire game in VR would probably get really tiring).

I ended up liking the combat well enough in spite of itself. It never felt good and I never felt comfortable but I reckoned with the idea that, hey, this is the way it's supposed to be. I met it halfway. But nearly everything in the game's final hours revolves around combat, which pulls the rug out from under the tension and dread the game very deliberately curates early on. There is an opportunity for Resident Evil 7 to leverage a more P.T.-like approach to horror near the end, but it's an opportunity the game summarily ignores in favor of throwing more enemies and more guns your way.

Some spoiler thoughts ahead:

Everything with Mia on the ship feels like a misstep. Having to watch a videotape of Mia as Mia was this silly, unnecessarily recursive bit of exposition, couched within perhaps the most annoying combat-heavy sequence of the game. It also completely broke my suspension of disbelief regarding the VHS tapes themselves. I'd assumed Lucas or one of the Bakers just fancied strapping a Go Pro to their prisoners and then converted the digital file into an analog format for the hell of it. But having the section on the pre-destroyed tanker on film distracted me to the point of irritation. A found footage aesthetic just for found footage's sake. You could handwave it away with all the talk of the hallucinations Eveline manifests, but that is unsatisfying for a wealth of separate reasons.

After the ship, however, the game made this kind of amazing pivot for me. Beginning, at least, with the vision Ethan has of Jack and Zoe in the Bakers' living room. Jack is humanized in that conversation in ways lesser horror games--even lesser Resident Evils--wouldn't think to have time for. I adored that moment, that moment of Jack apologizing and taking responsibility for the trauma they've brought into the world, despite understanding their helplessness beneath Eveline's power. The whole game shifted for me in that second. He asks you to save his family, to give them a final peace from this nightmare within Eveline's growing influence, and after that conversation I was emotionally invested in bringing this monster down.

The final boss fight is schlocky and cinematic in hilarious fashion. But I dug it. It felt like a reward after my harrowing, clench-jawed bid for survival amidst the terrors within the Baker estate. I don't think this will catch with everyone, but I appreciated that even in its most reserved and intimate of entries no game in the Resident Evil franchise is without its audacious Resident Evil-ness.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#106  Edited By xymox

This was my first Resident Evil game and I think it might've single-handedly gotten me into the series, and maybe even the survival horror genre in general. We'll see.

The jump scares are all really well executed, but unfortunately I didn't find the game very spoopy. Mostly because the monsters are a bit silly looking, but also because I personally think Alien: Isolation did the whole "hunted by scary thing" much, much, much better a few years ago.

All the "video game-y" stuff also kind of took away from the tension and atmosphere, but damn if I didn't find these dumb locked scorpion doors etc. incredibly charming in a way I can't really explain. And, like, finding notes on shadow-activated lock mechanisms and stuff. It's silly in a way I can get behind. A lot of people seem to be pretty down on the later part of that game, but personally I loved the later parts of the game as well.

That said, finishing the game made me buy RE4, and now I'm about 3 chapters in on that... and loving it as well. It took a few minutes to get used to the controls, but they're still serviceable... and playing RE4 is kind of making me look forward to playing RE5... ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.