Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

After reading these articles, I have lost some hope

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

Being a giant Resident Evil buff a gave this game every benefit of the doubt. But after reading these two articles (Campaign)(Multiplayer) I am now waiting for reviews on this one. Given these article are kinda old and who knows what build they were playing, this still sounds like a massive disappointment. It was never what I really wanted from a Resident Evil game but in concept it sounds neat.  Im still gonna keep a close eye on this one but I'd rather not throw 60 bones on the spot for it. Hell I will probably get it sometime but at a much more reasonable price. HERES TO HOPE!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

When I heard slant 6 was making this game. I never had hope to begin with.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benspyda

@falserelic: Yea they haven't really made a great game yet. Who knows maybe this is it.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SomeJerk

I watched some playing of it at a Japanese Capcom+MS presentation a day or two ago and Capcom will continue to wonder why they're not getting good scores or sales, even with using western developers.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I've never had any illusions that ORC was going to be all that great, but I still have to get it anyway out of some twisted loyalty to the series--and it's hard to resist this much fanservice. ORC is going to be one janky ass shooter with some balance issues, but that shouldn't mean I won't have some fun. I mean I adored the Outbreak series (Outbreak 1 is one of my favourite RE games in fact) and they too were largely ridiculed by everybody but a small minority.

Also it's IGN, and I never take anything they say, positive or negative, to heart.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

You had hope for this game?

@Abyssfull said:

I mean I adored the Outbreak series (Outbreak 1 is one of my favourite RE games in fact) and they too were largely ridiculed by everybody but a small minority.

Ahh, Outbreak, the fun I had getting people snatched up by that moth.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Solh0und

After I read the preview article in the recent Game Informer, my hype for this game partially died.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Abyssfull said: 

Also it's IGN, and I never take anything they say, positive or negative, to heart.

I understand its IGN but they name very specific things. In fact, most articles only point out things if the game is turning out great, or they just state what they played and thats it if they aren't too sure of it.  To pretty much say in a preview "this game is looking kinda crappy"  leaves a pretty nasty thought in my mind.
    Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

@falserelic said:

Same. But I actually do like the sound of the competitive multiplayer, at least conceptually, with all of the AI controller zombies and lickers coming in to mess up your business. I still kind of doubt it'll be good, but I can naively hope it will, can't I?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By falserelic

@spilledmilkfactory said:

@falserelic said:

Same. But I actually do like the sound of the competitive multiplayer, at least conceptually, with all of the AI controller zombies and lickers coming in to mess up your business. I still kind of doubt it'll be good, but I can naively hope it will, can't I?

I think the game is going to be a disappointment. I'm a long time RE fan and I understand there trying to do something new. But the footage I've seen of operation raccoon city didn't impress me. Looks like a mindless arcade shooter with abunch of bugs. I know there's people that's hyped up for this game, and I hope it turnsout good for them. But for me I kinda miss the survival horror aspects of the series.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @falserelic There were a few videos released a couple months ago that actually looked quite good but I was always cautiously optimistic, mostly because it was slant six. But like I said after reading those previews this game is lower on my list than ever
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@Abyssfull said:

I've never had any illusions that ORC was going to be all that great, but I still have to get it anyway out of some twisted loyalty to the series--and it's hard to resist this much fanservice. ORC is going to be one janky ass shooter with some balance issues, but that shouldn't mean I won't have some fun. I mean I adored the Outbreak series (Outbreak 1 is one of my favourite RE games in fact) and they too were largely ridiculed by everybody but a small minority.

I feel the same way. I loved Outbreak despite its massive flaws. Hell, Outbreak File #2 was literally impossible to play in single player and I still enjoyed it only because of the online component. I just might pick this up at launch.

WinnipegFats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By WinnipegFats

I've been wondering to anyone who will listen for years when we're going to get an Outbreak game on the Xbox Live network. This may not be it, but if this is the first step, I'm all for it.

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RichMeisterMan

Did some people think this was actually going to be some genre busting critically acclaimed game?

I mean, I am only interested in it because I'm a big RE fan and it's taking place at what I would consider the high point of the series as far as story and characters go. As long as the game play is halfway decent I'm just looking to go through and experience the story, settings and characters of an old familiar title I adore.

Pretty stoked for this.

Anyone know if there is local co-op?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TentPole

@RichMeisterMan: There will not be local co-op.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quarters

Other places have been a little friendlier towards it. IGN has been against it pretty violently from the outset.

SlickShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SlickShoes

Slant Six made a right mess of SOCOM in some respects, although the gameplay was true to the series it was a bug ridden mess for the first year. I remember getting it at release and as multiplayer only game, taking 25 minutes to load is just ridiculous, its ridiculous for any game but when you dont have a campaign to fall back on its even worse.

If Slant Six could release this in a similar state to SOCOM after it had been out for a year abd bug fixed it could be a great game, but from what I have read a lot of previews seem to suggest many of the problems still exist.

I had this on pre order but I will let other people take the plunge first and see what the general consensus is.

Matll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Matll

I wouldn't hold my breath. The first review (I think it was from GamesTM) gave it 3/10.

master_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By master_prophet

@Matll: Is GamesTM even a credible review site though? I've honestly never heard of them. I don't want to seem highly optimistic about this game, but the negative buzz surrounding it has pretty much come from just IGN, and IGN has been nothing but fail in the past several months. They hated Resident Evil 5 (which I love), they were generous to Revelations albeit they still talked the game down quite a bit, I also loved that game. Then more recently, they gave Silent Hill: Downpour a 4.5, which now I've played through that entire game and it is much better then a 4.5. So their little "preview" of ORC I've taken with a grain of salt. Also IGN is the site that gave GTA IV a perfect 10, and that game is far from perfect.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By murisan

@TentPole: This boggles my fucking mind. I saw this game and thought "oh man, this is gonna be awesome with my friend that loves RE." And then no local co-op.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By zyn

@falserelic said:

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wjb

I tend to disregard anything Resident Evil that doesn't have a number after it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.