Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

Do you think Operation Raccoon city is going to fail?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

When I first heard slant six was the new developers. I knew this was going to be a straight up action game. I've seen the gameplay footage and it look like socom with zombies. Which I wasn't digging at all. You get to fight spec ops soldiers,use zombies as human shields,and kill off key characters. I know this game is still being developed. So I'm not going to pass judgement until I played it. But I just want the series to go back to its roots. 

I miss the survival horror style of the game. That's what made the series so great to me. But anyway what do some of you guys think about operation raccoon city? Do you think the game is going to be a failure or success?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

As someone who doesn't give two shits about the Resident Evil games (and actually enjoyed the movies!), I'm looking forward to this. From what I've seen it looks like a pretty competent co-op shooter.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By falserelic

I thought the movies were crap but that's just my opinion. 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts

I think I'm done with resident evil. I'm not sure why people want them to go back to how the originals were. I'm sorry but they were not very fun to play at all. Terrible camera and moving around like a tank seems pretty shit to me.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

It's not Outbreak File #3, so yes. It should fail for that reason alone. I'm not sure who thought outsourcing development to Slant fucking Six was a good idea in the first place.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic
    @laserbolts said:
    I think I'm done with resident evil. I'm not sure why people want them to go back to how the originals were. I'm sorry but they were not very fun to play at all. Terrible camera and moving around like a tank seems pretty shit to me.
    Too me it doesn't have to go back to the original gameplay. I just want it to be survival horror,with new interesting gameplay mechanics. 
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falserelic
    @benjaebe said:

It's not Outbreak File #3, so yes. It should fail for that reason alone. I'm not sure who thought outsourcing development to Slant fucking Six was a good idea in the first place.

Yeah I wish there was a outbreak file 3. But the second game didn't sell well,and I wonder why capcom gave the resident evil series to slant six aswell.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Fail critically or financially? Because im pretty sure Resident Evil games sell better than fresh hot cupcakes.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Fail critically or financially? Because im pretty sure Resident Evil games sell better than fresh hot cupcakes.

I think both, but then again the game might turnout to be decent.
    Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Moztacular

considering the game will probably give players the first and only chance they'll ever have to play as a tyrant or nemesis, I'll at least give it a look. Otherwise it's probably just going to be a 3rd person left 4 dead clone and of course slant six can't go up against a game developed by valve.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones

Give the game a chance. Everyone complains when there is change even thought this IS NOT a numbered sequel.  As a long time RE fan I will give them a chance at whatever they try.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Solh0und
    @falserelic said:
    I thought the movies were crap but that's just my opinion. 
    You're not alone on that,D00D!
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skytylz

I'll probably wait to get it in a steam sale, looks neat but I don't think it's a full price purchase for me.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By clubsandwich
    @falserelic: I LOVE the RE series. I won't be buying this, not really interested. Looks like Ghost Recon with zombies to me. meh

However, if you're waiting for a good resident evil, check out revelations, it's a shame that it's only developed for 3DS. Also, it is rumored that RE6 will be announced in TGS in september, so we'll just have to wait.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

It probably won't score too well with the critics I don't think, though the RE brand will most likely allow it a sturdy profit; especially from judging what the budget for this must of been... For me personally, I have no serious qualms that it's an all action shooter since this is a spin-off title and all (though this being what has most likely just crushed the notion of an Outbreak file 3 under its tires stings quite a bit), but even as a team based shooter the game just looks pretty bad.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Yanngc33

I think it will be cool, i'm up for more RE but I'm afraid that a possible announcement of RE 6 might kill this game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By falserelic
    @clubsandwich said:

@falserelic: I LOVE the RE series. I won't be buying this, not really interested. Looks like Ghost Recon with zombies to me. meh

However, if you're waiting for a good resident evil, check out revelations, it's a shame that it's only developed for 3DS. Also, it is rumored that RE6 will be announced in TGS in september, so we'll just have to wait.

I was hoping for revelations to come out for the ps3 too. Its a shame that its only for the 3ds. I hope capcom steps their game up in RE6. They said there going to make it more survival horror this time. But I have a feeling that its going to go more of the action route. 
    Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Patman99

@laserbolts said:

I agree. I played and enjoyed resident evil 1 and 2 but recently going back to them has completely shattered my rose tinted nostalgia glasses...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

Resident Evil as a series died with Shinji Mikami. While Resident Evil 5 wasn't a terrible game, it completely butchered the fiction and pretty much spoiled everything that Resident Evil 4 was building towards and expanding on, as well as the entire series. 

I mean, seriously? 

"CHRIIIIS!" 

"WESKERRR!" 

"CHRIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!" 

Shoot me now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @Napalm:  
    I'm eating rockets.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
    @Abyssfull said:
    @Napalm:  I'm eating rockets.
    While drowning in a fucking random lava pit?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee
    @Napalm said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Napalm:  I'm eating rockets.
    While drowning in a fucking random lava pit?
    It'd probably be less embarrassing for Wesker if he was killed by the Brad Vickers zombie instead. Honestly, if he really had to go down that way, why the fuck was it Chris and Sheva of all people? Jill, who's been hounded by Wesker just as long Chris now, just starring there watching the moment you'd think she'd want to be apart of fly away in slo-motion. And why weren't Barry and Rebecca allowed a piece of action? I can only imagine the beauty of all four remaining S.T.A.R.S members together chipping him down to nothing, beating the blonde hair bleach out of him ; Barry bringing in the only gun that matters - this. Rebecca spraying him with AIDs or whatever, Chris and Jill just completely battering him down. 

Putting aside the fucked up identity crisis the gameplay suffered from, how they handled Wesker was some of the worst. Also while it doesn't mean much, I've only just noticed how damn tanned they made him as well. Suppose that could be accounted from his time in Africa mind you, but coupled with the hair and the shades he almost looks like something out of Jersey Shore. 

Ah well. They're most likely going to bring in another one of the Wesker Children anywhoo for RE6, so none of it matters anywhoo.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By falserelic

LOL! that whole volcano fight was a wtf. Somehow they all didn't get burned standing in the volcano. Then you have Chris beating the shit out of a boulder. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp

I think it's definitely going to fail...

Who the fuck is this game for? Die-hard Resident Evil fanboys who want to see as much of the characters as they can. That market can't be viable.

I can't imagine someone looking for a decent action multiplayer game would pick this up, especially having the "pleasure" of going through those bullshit mercenary modes already...

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwilitEnd656

@Napalm said:

Resident Evil as a series died with Shinji Mikami. While Resident Evil 5 wasn't a terrible game, it completely butchered the fiction and pretty much spoiled everything that Resident Evil 4 was building towards and expanding on, as well as the entire series. I mean, seriously? "CHRIIIIS!" "WESKERRR!" "CHRIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!" Shoot me now.

It was like experiencing "LIQUUUIIID," and "BROTHEEERRRRRRR" all over again.

As for Operation Raccoon City... Well, I'm not particularly hopeful.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm
    @Abyssfull said:
    It'd probably be less embarrassing for Wesker if he was killed by the Brad Vickers zombie instead. Honestly, if he really had to go down that way, why the fuck was it Chris and Sheva of all people? Jill, who's been hounded by Wesker just as long Chris now, just starring there watching the moment you'd think she'd want to be apart of fly away in slo-motion. And why weren't Barry and Rebecca allowed the piece of action? I can only imagine the beauty of all four remianing S.T.A.R.S members together chipping him down to nothing, beating the blonde hair bleach out of him ; Barry bringing in the only gun that matters - this. Rebecca spraying him with AIDs or whatever, Chris and Jill just completely battering him down.  Putting aside the fucked up identity crisis the gameplay suffered from, how they handled Wesker was some of the worst. Also while it doesn't mean much, I've only just noticed how damn tanned they made him as well. Suppose that could accounted from from his time in Africa mind you, but coupled with the hair and the shades he almost looks like something out of Jersey Shore.  Ah well. They're most likely going to bring in another one of the Wesker Children anywhoo for RE6, so none of it matters anywhoo.
    The main problem that I felt with Resident Evil 5 was Capcom trying to take over a decade of building storylines and established fiction and just end and conclude it all in the span of one videogame. In Resident Evil 4, we learn that Wesker is back doing his own super secret, shady thing involving the virus strain found in Europe, and Ada Wong is working for Wesker, and also for a secret organization that you never hear about, all the while Leon is trying to save the Presidents daughter and the realization that the discovered virus strain is more involved with Umbrella and this cult community then anticipated.  

They could have gone that way with Resident Evil 5, and tied the virus back to a delusional cult leader trying to rule Africa and subvert the population, but they turned it into, "and then you kill Wesker! And it's Umbrella and shit!" I mean, to just take the series biggest and most established villain and kill him off like that is just... shortsighted.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho

yep

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Three0neFive said:
    As someone who doesn't give two shits about the Resident Evil games (and actually enjoyed the movies!), I'm looking forward to this. From what I've seen it looks like a pretty competent co-op shooter.
    You are the worst person.
    JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By JakeLogan

As a concept, I love the idea of Racoon City.  Filling in back story from an alternative perspective is awesome.  As keeping with canon and style, it's just a further bastardization. 

I played through the series 1 - 5 + Veronica when it was ported. I tolerated them - I wanted to love them but something was holding me back. 

I hated the control scheme (I'm a meat tank!) and felt there weren't that many options in how you approached the game.  You either shot everything in your way and ran out of ammo depending on the difficulty level or sort of serpentined your way through the zombie crowds at full pelt, as can be evidenced in any number of "Perfect Run" youtube videos.  It wasn't a matter of "Man I'm low on ammo, I hope I can make it to the next checkpoint"  it was more "Man I'm out of ammo - try my luck dogding zombie raindrops or reload an old save?"

With Res 4, you had more space to get tactical with but you were leaning heavily into combat mechanics and with 5, thats ALL you were doing - mowing down hordes of baddies.    

In removing one obstacle to me enjoying your game, you've created another :S

I think, if they want to go back to that feeling of putting pressure on the player, they may need to go with a different approach, like SIlent Hill: Shattered Memories.  I could never get into the SH series, probably because the extended periods of high tension would just wear me out to the point of me not having fun anymore.   It wasn't that I'd get scared, I'd just be pissed when a stupid monster snuck up on me and mauled my ass.  Shattered Memories gave me a chance to feel scared without huge a commitment in time and resource management.    

Something needs to be added to make players feel like they're fighting for their lives, not just expecting something to jump out and say "Boo!" and murder you with a cheap QTE.

But that may all be a moot point.  I don't know if Resident Evil is salvageable, as all that Capcom seems to enjoy anymore is ruining their franchises and tormenting a dissillusioned fanbase.  
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Three0neFive
    @HandsomeDead said:
    @Three0neFive said:
    You are the worst person.
    I like to think I'm at least better than the people who defend that outdated, convoluted mess of a series.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#31  Edited By MightyDuck

It has the potential to be semi-successful.

Although, personally, I play Resident Evil for the goofy ass story that is inevitably included.  That being said, I probably won't pick up the game.  I'm still waiting for a return to the original Resident Evil mansion from the first game.  I know there was the REmake for game cube, but I never owned one so I never got to play it.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By benjaebe
    @JakeLogan said:
    I don't know if Resident Evil is salvageable, as all that Capcom seems to enjoy anymore is ruining their franchises and tormenting a dissillusioned fanbase.  
    To be fair, Resident Evil: Revelations seems to be more of a call back to the roots of the series, but unfortunately it's only on 3DS. We can all hold out hope for RE6 at least. 

I've said it before in this topic, but the game was doomed to fail from the moment they outsourced it to Slant Six who have more or less palette-swapped Resident Evil assets over SOCOM gameplay. It might have had a chance if they didn't fill it with stupid fucking special moves like complete invisibility. 

It's also not Outbreak File 3, so fuck this game.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how I want the newer Resident Evil games to play.

• Badly-angled puzzle solver.
    • Over-the-shoulder action adventure, exploding everything.
    • More downloadable content.
    • Releases, remakes.

The game will fail.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm
    @benjaebe said:
    @JakeLogan said:
    I don't know if Resident Evil is salvageable, as all that Capcom seems to enjoy anymore is ruining their franchises and tormenting a dissillusioned fanbase.  
    To be fair, Resident Evil: Revelations seems to be more of a call back to the roots of the series, but unfortunately it's only on 3DS. We can all hold out hope for RE6 at least.  I've said it before in this topic, but the game was doomed to fail from the moment they outsourced it to Slant Six who have more or less palette-swapped Resident Evil assets over SOCOM gameplay. It might have had a chance if they didn't fill it with stupid fucking special moves like complete invisibility.  It's also not Outbreak File 3, so fuck this game.
    Resident Evil 6 details are coming in mid-September.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benjaebe
    @Napalm: Awesome. Now we just hope that they stick to their goal of getting back to the roots of the series instead of following the path littered with quick-time boulder punching.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
    @benjaebe: They're going for a "complete renovation", so I highly doubt you'll see anything earlier than Resident Evil 4, in terms of mechanics and even then, it's probably going to be way more of a straight up action game.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NTM

I think it looks OK, but I think for the original RE fans that aren't looking for an action game but a survival horror, will be disappointed. I think they may like what they're doing with the atmosphere. It looks like they're doing well with recreating Raccoon City. The only few things that I've seen so far that really dislike is that they seem to kill off the original cast of characters, more zombies (though since it's RE, that's kind of a stupid thing to dislike, but still), and while the shooting and how it looks is competent, it doesn't look as great as what you see in other games. I think it looks interesting, and as with any other game, I hope it does well even if it isn't necessarily what we'd want out of the Resident Evil series. It looks fun. As for buying it... that's a different story.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Deusoma

As someone who actually really liked RE5 I - wait, I stopped caring about this game as soon as I realized it was competitive-multiplayer-focused, now I remember. Never mind!

Joking aside, multiplayer-focused shooting is just not my genre, but I'm totally open to an RE6 at this point.

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RichMeisterMan

@falserelic: I hear that. The, "survival horror" part of the series was completely absent in RE5 and from what I saw in the trailer for 6, it's not gonna be there either. :-(

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lord_canti

yes,,, i would like to have a full point for point post about why but the word "yes" sums it up. i have never looked at resident evil and thought this should be a tactical multiplayer shooter

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falserelic

@RichMeisterMan said:

@falserelic: I hear that. The, "survival horror" part of the series was completely absent in RE5 and from what I saw in the trailer for 6, it's not gonna be there either. :-(

I thought the samething when I saw the trailer. Its a shame capcom ditch the survival horror aspects again. The series that I used to love for being survival horror. Is now a total non-stop, mind blowing, over the edge, hanging from the edge, action experience. Some people are going to call me a butt-hurt fanboy. But its true I am I'm not going to deny it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.