Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

Is it just me, or is zombies as body shields ridiculous?

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Alo81

What makes humans good human shields as that we fear for our lives, so we don't resist and just kind of let the holder control us.

A zombie doesn't give a shit if it lives, and would be struggling and chomping at you anyway that it could.

I don't know about you guys, but i think that just seems super fucking stupid.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Meat shield's a meat shield.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheHumanDove

But a zombie can also be used as a human sword. It's both!

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coakroach

Its a fucking video game dude.

Of course its stupid.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Everything about Operation Raccoon City is pretty fucking stupid.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeShawn2ks

As long as the bullets aren't hitting me I will use anything to hide behind.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Live2bRighteous

Honestly, I don't see anything stupid about it. If I lived in a world filled with zombies, combined with some assholes that had me pinned down... I would definitely take advantage of an already dead (Like) thing being my meatshield.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @Alo81: how about a dead zombie?
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Deranged

Technically, a zombie would make a better meatshield than an actual living person since they would absorb bullets more.

Regardless, it's a videogame. Who gives a shit.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mcderby4 said:

Technically, a zombie would make a better meatshield than an actual living person since they would absorb bullets more.

I disagree with your statement. Nothing about zombies makes them more bullet absorbent. Bullets will pass through a zombie just as easily as they would a not-undead person. The thing with zombies is that they have a higher tolerance for pain (or rather, they don't feel pain), so it just seems like they absorb bullets. But in reality, it would not make a better shield, at least in terms of actually protecting from the bullets.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deranged

@MooseyMcMan said:

@mcderby4 said:

I disagree with your statement. Nothing about zombies makes them more bullet absorbent. Bullets will pass through a zombie just as easily as they would a not-undead person. The thing with zombies is that they have a higher tolerance for pain (or rather, they don't feel pain), so it just seems like they absorb bullets. But in reality, it would not make a better shield, at least in terms of actually protecting from the bullets.

And why not? A zombie would still be standing due to the lack of feeling pain. A living person who is eventually shot up enough will become limp and more of a hassle to carry around. A zombie will still be on it's feet the entire time, hence being the better meat shield.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iPliskin

Everything after RE3 is super fucking stupid, except for the remakes and RE0.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcderby4: A meat shield is a meat shield, you wouldnt carry it around with you so it wont matter if a person starts becoming more limp
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@mcderby4 said:

I disagree with your disagreement! So theoretically, after the person is shot, would become much harder to control, this is obviously caused from the large amount of pain caused by the wound. Whereas with a zombie, like you said probably feels no pain, therefore their status wouldn't change whether they took a shot to the knee or a shot to the chest. Other than a few tries to bite your forearm (which could easily be avoided with a firm grip to the throat or some kind of forearm protection, this is Umbrella, they know what to expect) a zombie is a much better meat shield than a human.  BAM!!! 

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ShadowConqueror

What's keeping it from biting you?

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Toxeia

A zombie can take more bullets, but take this into account. There's serious muscle atrophy in zombies. That's less body mass to stop a bullet.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soldierg654342

You say it like Resident Evil isn't already ridiculous.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skullo

@benjaebe said:

Supposedly this is Capcom's shot towards the Call of Duty market. Also game is a retcon and it will fail and we never see another game that has Claire Redfield in it. So fuck this game in the ear, I say.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Three0neFive

@SoldierG654342 said:

Pretty much this, Resident Evil has always been, and (hopefully) will always be campy as shit. That's it's only saving grace in my opinion - it's got horrible controls and mediocre graphics, the least they can do is give me some Jill Sandwich every now and then.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ducksworth

Aside from the bullet shield point, I'd also like to add that if there's a zombie trying to get to you then the only place said zombie will have to bite you is the arm holding the hostage zombie where as in other cases the Zombie will have all of you to munch upon. On top of that if it gets too close you could always push hostage zombie into approaching zombie and cause a bit of stumbling to get yourself a bit of extra free time to run...that is assuming we have the slow crawling zombies instead of the running and jumping types.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged

@Sackmanjones said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@mcderby4 said:

I disagree with your disagreement! So theoretically, after the person is shot, would become much harder to control, this is obviously caused from the large amount of pain caused by the wound. Whereas with a zombie, like you said probably feels no pain, therefore their status wouldn't change whether they took a shot to the knee or a shot to the chest. Other than a few tries to bite your forearm (which could easily be avoided with a firm grip to the throat or some kind of forearm protection, this is Umbrella, they know what to expect) a zombie is a much better meat shield than a human. BAM!!!

Lmao, can't argue with that, but I propose this... Video game physics are whack bro! Anything can happen!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@Skullo said:

@benjaebe said:

Supposedly this is Capcom's shot towards the Call of Duty market. Also game is a retcon and it will fail and we never see another game that has Claire Redfield in it. So fuck this game in the ear, I say.

It's not a retcon, it's just a weird little ''what-if'' take on the Raccoon City outbreak. It's completely and utterly pointless... but I'm buying it anyway >_>

As for the topic, sure a meat shield's a meat shield, but a zombie is a very rotten meat shield. I imagine it would fall apart quicker than a live one. But again, Resident Evil, so whatevs.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By CounterShock

Yeah it's pretty dumb, but if you start looking too hard at things like this, you'll start to hate video game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mcderby4: @Sackmanjones: No, no, no! You misunderstand!

What I really mean is that neither a person nor a zombie would make good meat-shields, because many bullets tend to fly straight through material like human (or zombie) flesh. The whole idea of using a "meat sack" to stop bullets is dumb.

Also, part of the reason why a human would be used as a meat shield is the idea that the person doing the shooting might not want to shoot the person used as a shield. For example, during a bank robbery, the robber might use a civilian as a shield against the cops. However, no one will think twice about shooting at a zombie (though, in most games, the enemies don't seem to care about whoever you might use as a shield).

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By M_Shini

Resident Evil in a alternative world where you can kill Leon kenedy is already weird so may as well go all the way.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I mean, the part about the arm around the neck, and a zombie biting you? What are the chances?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's it, you've done it.

Someone's finally cracked that airtight Resident Evil fiction.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sooty

It's made by the guys that made Socom so you know it's going to be terrible judging from the trainwrecks those last few games were.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

I'd rather use a body as a Zombie shield. That would be a neat new feature. Patent Pending.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deranged

@MooseyMcMan said:

What I really mean is that neither a person nor a zombie would make good meat-shields, because many bullets tend to fly straight through material like human (or zombie) flesh. The whole idea of using a "meat sack" to stop bullets is dumb.

Also, part of the reason why a human would be used as a meat shield is the idea that the person doing the shooting might not want to shoot the person used as a shield. For example, during a bank robbery, the robber might use a civilian as a shield against the cops. However, no one will think twice about shooting at a zombie (though, in most games, the enemies don't seem to care about whoever you might use as a shield).

Yeah but we're talking about video games duder! Of course a meat shield would make absolutely no sense in real life and is most often avoided at all costs since tactically it brings at the worst possible place you could be during a fire-fight.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By swoxx

@ShadowConqueror said:

What's keeping it from biting you?

Exactly, I'm not wrapping my arm around a zombies neck. That's basically presenting them with a meal.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

This.

@benjaebe said:

And this.

Having said that, I still want to play it :D

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @mcderby4

@MooseyMcMan said:

Yeah but we're talking about video games duder! Of course a meat shield would make absolutely no sense in real life and is most often avoided at all costs since tactically it brings at the worst possible place you could be during a fire-fight.

Now you have a point on the rotting flesh but what about this… now hear me out. You have a human grabbed by a zombie from their back. You then grab the zombie WHILE it holds the human, now you have a zombie and a human meat shield. All the advantages and none of this disadvantages. I mean the person will be busy with the zombie and the zombie will be busy with the person, hence zero disadvantage

I love this conversation…
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Getz

Not to mention they'd be all rotten and decomposed and probably not that resilient.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Sackmanjones said:

@mcderby4

@MooseyMcMan said:

Now you have a point on the rotting flesh but what about this… now hear me out. You have a human grabbed by a zombie from their back. You then grab the zombie WHILE it holds the human, now you have a zombie and a human meat shield. All the advantages and none of this disadvantages. I mean the person will be busy with the zombie and the zombie will be busy with the person, hence zero disadvantage I love this conversation…

Yes! We have found the answer!

Now the sad thing is I'll always be saddened when games don't feature double meat-shields like this.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Klei
    @iPliskin said:

Everything after RE3 is super fucking stupid, except for the remakes and RE0.

Ahahahahahaahah. Right. I disagree with you. Especially with your RE0 statement.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@mcderby4

@MooseyMcMan said:

Now you have a point on the rotting flesh but what about this… now hear me out. You have a human grabbed by a zombie from their back. You then grab the zombie WHILE it holds the human, now you have a zombie and a human meat shield. All the advantages and none of this disadvantages. I mean the person will be busy with the zombie and the zombie will be busy with the person, hence zero disadvantage I love this conversation…

Now the sad thing is I'll always be saddened when games don't feature double meat-shields like this.

Prepare for disappointment..... =(
    buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By buckwatters

@benjaebe said:

Fixed* Everything about Resident Evil is pretty fucking stupid.

I still love the franchise though, but even I have to admit, it's pretty dumb, but in a fun way.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By Hector

@SoldierG654342 said:

Bingo.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deranged

@Sackmanjones said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@mcderby4

@MooseyMcMan said:

Prepare for disappointment..... =(

Oh geez... I think I'm already disappointed with the current meat shield in Racoon City...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rafaelfc

the problem isn't that it is ridiculous, the problem is that it isn't ridiculous enough

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeF

no, this one time it really is JUST you.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hatking

@mcderby4 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@mcderby4 said:

And why not? A zombie would still be standing due to the lack of feeling pain. A living person who is eventually shot up enough will become limp and more of a hassle to carry around. A zombie will still be on it's feet the entire time, hence being the better meat shield.

But it would be struggling the whole time. Also zombies are gross. They probably shit their pants and don't care. So keep that in mind while you're ass-to-crotch with one of them. I bet they'd fall apart more easily, too. And you couldn't just let go of a zombie if you decided you didn't need the shield anymore because it'd turn around and bite you on the dick.

MrGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrGorilla

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

2nd that! The meat shield is totally underrated. This is the perfect combo when dealing with a blood thirsty bunch of zombos IMO. Just remember to stuff the zombies mouth with something, or shoot their face off before using!

Avatar image for flamingxtsunami
    FlamingxTsunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FlamingxTsunami

@iPliskin: You have that backwards, everything before Res 4 sucks. The reason the games are how they are now is because the developers wanted to make the series like that in the first place, but didn't have the technology to do it.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LaserLambert

@FlamingxTsunami: I don't know about that, I think they definitely wanted the static camera angles to be like a scary movie, but they didn't realize that playing with static camera angles and tank controls controlled like garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.