Operation Raccoon City is pretty bad.

• 93 results
#1 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

I mean really. A lot of the complaints brought up by reviewers are dead-on (teehee...). Really weak shooting, cumbersome cover mechanics, enemies that give close to zero feedback on damage, you can't do any kind of dodge move (minus some pointless lil dive while sprinting), you can't throw grenades from cover forcing you to actually throw a grenade against a wall, your pistol has this strange auto-aim function, and you also can't use your pistol from cover either. The whole 'story' is wafer thin, the ''choice'' you get is hilariously under-developed, there's no animation for reviving team mates, you lose your supplies that you've found once you die (not when you have to restart a checkpoint... just dying on your own forces you to lose your procured weapon, first-aid spray and so forth) and it just goes on and on and on. This is a bad game. Hilariously so in fact. It's like ''Darkest of Days'' hilara-bad. I was laughing my ass off throughout the campaign, so there was some enjoyment to be funnelled out of there.

Also I did play with other people, and while that's at least a significant improvement over playing with the bone idle AI's, who I often saw just shooting at walls or doing virtually nothing, but it doesn't improve things by much. Seriously, do not buy this game. As a dedicated RE fan, it's all the more exhaustively awful to see all of these iconic locations, characters and so forth given such dire treatment. The multiplayer isn't much better as it quickly devolves into frantic chaos, with people just spamming the melee attack and hurling grenades at each other. And the Heroes Mode, the one specific addition I was most excited about, is tiresome for how so damn strong the Heroes are; they forever to kill, and again there's a lot of occasions where it'll just be one player constantly swiping his knife at another player, and it's nigh impossible to get out of the chain if you're against a wall.

There's virtually nothing redeemable about ORC minus some laughs to be had pointing at all of the jank. An OK rental with some beers no doubt, but otherwise I strongly advise people do not buy this game.

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I trust you and will not buy this game.

#3 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

Hey duders, I also have the game. This dude is right. The game is an overly serious attempt to cash-in on Resident Evil's hypetrain and fails to do so at every turn.

I think the most entertainment I got out of this game was being chased by the Hulk. It was the funniest shit I've ever seen. My teammates automatically warped to the other side of the map(This is campaign, by the way), and didn't even bother to raise their gun. Meanwhile I'm getting the shit kicked out of me trying to figure out what to do.

This game is bad. Baaaaaad.

#4 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

Not overly surprised.

#5 Posted by Rerejo28 (135 posts) -

Man... I really wanted this game to be good, too...

#6 Posted by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

Soooo... 4 stars then? :(

#7 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Ah yes, the knife corner infinite.

#8 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -

Slant 6. What more needs to be said.

#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Man, I really hoped this game would be good.

#10 Posted by Redbullet685 (6021 posts) -

@Rerejo28 said:

Same here. Not surprising though, seeing as it came from the same developer that made Socom Confrontation.

#11 Posted by dad0ktdid (23 posts) -

I miss Resident Evil games that are good...

#12 Posted by BisonHero (6055 posts) -

Sounds like it should make for an amusing Quick Look. They have to cover this, right?

#13 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

You have a right to your opinion but I think your being a bit too harsh. I don't think the game is as awful as you make it to me. It is by no means a good game it's more along the lines of OK with a few awful things. Once I got used to shooting it was ok and I rather like the dual stick control of the pistol. I thought it was unique and actuall worked well. Melee is simply to back of crowds of enemies and occasionally meat shield or brutal kill them. Multiplayer is ok ad you can get some hours out of it. Overall it's an OK game but it takes some time to warm up to it and also you should be a biiig

#14 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Fuck phones

A big re fan to purchase it

#15 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

I agree with this statement. The game on the hardest mode is a challenge. It's just not a challenge in the fun way. It's a frustrating mess of many small-ish problems coming together to make a big shitty mess. My question: How can your own teammates(AI versions, not people) be even dumber than the enemies?

#16 Posted by falserelic (5280 posts) -

I'm a big RE fan. But in the end its capcom fault for letting slant 6 make this game.

#17 Posted by Grixxel (762 posts) -

I was going to and then read this, thanks.

#18 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

@Redbullet685: After being patched, SOCOM Confrontation was pretty good. I'm guessing the same will happen to this.

#19 Posted by Camosid (110 posts) -

I gotta say this game is not good, but I really really like it. I guess that happens occasionaly I loved Castlevania HD too but also think it was maybe worth a 6 out of 10. Specifically I just played the RCPD portion and kind of geeked out over the chiefs office, lion statue, and the gun shop from RE2. This might be fun for RE fans but yea it kinda sucks. The only thing I don't agree with from most reviews is that the shooting feels fine to me and I actually really like the co-op.

#20 Edited by RichMeisterMan (70 posts) -

Meh. If you go into it expecting extremely par third person shooter action it's hard to be too disappointed. The game is really just extremely average, and I wish I wouldn't have paid 60-fucking-dollars for it because it's going to be 30 in about 2 weeks. The lack of local co-op is really disappointing too because this game's online is going to be dead in 3-2-1...yup, it's donzo!

The lack of a combat roll is lame, the specops enemies take too many fucking hits to kill, and finally, the amount of DLC already available for the game is disturbing. Typical Capcom bullshit.

Also, OP, did you try tapping the bumper to switch to your pistol? Don't hold it, tap it.

#21 Posted by partypajamas (9 posts) -

I don't know if this is true, but in one review the guy said he was actually able to complete the entire mission by going invisible and sprinting past the enemies and that it worked because at each checkpoint all enemies that had spawned beforehand would disappear. Sounds pretty broken. This game didn't appeal to me in the slightest as RE5 was terrible and Capcom has been pretty horrible recently (SFxT for instance).

#22 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -

Me and Abyssful here just beat the game in four hours.

It's not very long and it's not very good.

That's probably the best review you'll find.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@Camosid: @Sackmanjones:

Make no mistake, I am a soopa RE obsessive. I love this series and I've held strong its toughest time always trying to defend it in some manner (The Outbreak games and Dead Aim for example), though ORC is really tough to find any merit besides, again, laughing at how poorly put together everything is. It frankly does a disservice to franchise frankly, making iconic enemies like The Nemesis, the Mr X Tyrants, William Birkin, Hunters (which is an inaccuracy, given it was the red, boil-covered Omega Hunters that were there, not the green Alphas) , Lickers and so forth a fucking hassle to fight against. The William Birkin segment in particular is terribly telegraphed and simply not fun to play - at all. The story, which you'd think would benefit the most for RE sadists, is primarily stitched together with random pieces of fan-service (Hey guys remember Nemesis?! Well now you get to fight him as he just stands there shooting his minigun - no chase sequence, or segment where he crashes through a window, naaaah, we'll just have him stand there shooting and arbitrarily throw in some soldiers in there too!), and it doesn't contain any sort of narrative and barely builds upon anything to do with Umbrella or their activities during the Outbreak. It's also incredibly short and hardly holds much in the way of replay value minus maybe spamming so you can over-level for the MP. ORC is clearly a multiplayer-first shooter, and that also leaves me baffled as to why it then still turned out the way it did.

@RichMeisterMan said:

Meh. If you go into it expecting extremely par third person shooter action it's hard to be too disappointed. The game is really just extremely average, and I wish I wouldn't have paid 60-fucking-dollars for it because it's going to be 30 in about 2 weeks. The lack of local co-op is really disappointing too because this game's online is going to be dead in 3-2-1...yup, it's donzo!

The lack of a combat roll is lame, the specops enemies take too many fucking hits to kill, and finally, the amount of DLC already available for the game is disturbing. Typical Capcom bullshit.

Also, OP, did you try tapping the bumper to switch to your pistol? Don't hold it, tap it.

I didn't go into it expecting much. I knew it wasn't going to be a work of art or anything, but I expected the shooting to at least feel like it had some impact and, ironically enough, that the story would pull through and spark some additional backstory towards the Raccoon City incident. Plus given the flimsy story, it's super disappointing that you can't unlock the main character skins and can just play as them through the story. I mean they're the primary reason I was set on getting ORC; having all of these fan favourites at once--playable--was a dream! But unfortunately they're stuck in some garbage competitive multiplayer component.

Oh, but yeah I soon worked out that you tap to switch to your pistol, but even still from my experiences pistols are primarily useless anyway.

#24 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@Rerejo28 said:

Same here. Not surprising though, seeing as it came from the same developer that made Socom Confrontation.

I knew there was trouble when smaller press outlets couldn't get near this game during events (but then again, I don't know many big ones that got to play it, either). Then again, the other-SOCOM developer never really inspired much confidence in me, so....

#25 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

If you are buying this game because you are a super fan of Resident Evil then you have better already purchased the Resident Evil Deck Building game cause that is actually fun and worth the money.

#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@Abyssfull Don't get me wrong I know your a huge re fan. I've seen you all over the boards. Where I'm at in the campaign (the nemesis mini gun thing which is rather stupid) it hasn't done anything to really expand the fiction your right about that. But I don't think it's mechanics are awful. Trust me I wish this game was better and tied into the story. There is HUGE amounts of room for improvement especially story wise. But overall I think it's stupid fun
#27 Posted by Camosid (110 posts) -

@Abyssfull: @Abyssfull said:

@Camosid: @Sackmanjones:

Make no mistake, I am a soopa RE obsessive. I love this series and I've held strong its toughest time always trying to defend it in some manner (The Outbreak games and Dead Aim for example), though ORC is really tough to find any merit besides, again, laughing at how poorly put together everything is. It frankly does a disservice to franchise frankly, making iconic enemies like The Nemesis, the Mr X Tyrants, William Birkin, Hunters (which is an inaccuracy, given it was the red, boil-covered Omega Hunters that were there, not the green Alphas) , Lickers and so forth a fucking hassle to fight against. The William Birkin segment in particular is terribly telegraphed and simply not fun to play - at all. The story, which you'd think would benefit the most for RE sadists, is primarily stitched together with random pieces of fan-service (Hey guys remember Nemesis?! Well now you get to fight him as he just stands there shooting his minigun - no chase sequence, or segment where he crashes through a window, naaaah, we'll just have him stand there shooting and arbitrarily throw in some soldiers in there too!), that it doesn't contain any sort of narrative and barely builds upon anything to do with Umbrella or their activities during the Outbreak. It's also incredibly short and hardly holds much in the way of replay value minus maybe spamming so you can over-level for the MP. ORC is clearly a multiplayer-first shooter, and that also leaves me baffled as to why it then still turned out the way it did.

@RichMeisterMan said:

I didn't go into it expecting much. I knew it wasn't going to be a work of art or anything, but I expected the shooting to at least feel like it had some impact and, ironically enough, that the story would pull through and spark some additional backstory towards the Raccoon City incident. Plus given the flimsy story, it's super disappointing that you can't unlock the main character skins and can just play as them through the story. I mean they're the primary reason I was set on getting ORC; having all of these fan favourites at once--playable--was a dream! But unfortunately they're stuck in some garbage competitive multiplayer component.

Oh, but yeah I soon worked out that you tap to switch to your pistol, but even still from my experiences pistols are primarily useless anyway.

This game blows and I pretty much agree with most everything you said, but also theres that thing where you already played and have so many other RE games. It would be kinda crazy not to keep playing them. Revelations was MUCH better and the main feeling I got tonight was man that was cool but I kinda want to just play a good RE game now. So I am gonna continue my recent RE3 playthrough and pick up Code Veronica on PS3. I don't regret buying this game I guess, but yea it's not good and hopefully RE6 will be the appropriate amount of ridiculous for me to love it. Even though I haven't played 6 or anything yet I feel like maybe after that if they want to keep going a reboot might be in order. In both gameplay and story.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Abyssfull Don't get me wrong I know your a huge re fan. I've seen you all over the boards. Where I'm at in the campaign (the nemesis mini gun thing which is rather stupid) it hasn't done anything to really expand the fiction your right about that. But I don't think it's mechanics are awful. Trust me I wish this game was better and tied into the story. There is HUGE amounts of room for improvement especially story wise. But overall I think it's stupid fun

After playing some coop with , I can't deny that my second playthrough of the campaign was a lot better than the first solely because we were ripping the piss out of it at every turn and I had someone to talk to to help drown out the tedium. As something to mess around with and have some casual fun, I can certainly see the the appeal. Though I really can't advise anyone to buy this close to full price (which probably won't last long). The MP is downright broken, though. Under the circumstances with the campaign, there's some genuine janky fun to be had, but when you're to rely on these mechanics for competitive play, it's much more so frustrating than anything. The Heroes mode in particular when you're trying to kill another Hero is ludicrous because of how much health they (and you of course) have.

#29 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

Oh Darkest of Days.

#30 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

I like the continuity stuff they do in it(so far, at least, haven't beaten it), and I'm learning to enjoy it. It has some clunkiness for sure. Though I thought I've used both grenades and pistols from cover...weird. The shooting took some getting used to, but I'm starting to work with it now. Of course, I also think Vampire Rain's an alright game, so maybe I'm not the best judge for this. :)

I don't know, it's weird. I really shouldn't like this game due to averageness, but something about it just kind of clicks. I like playing it. Glad I bought it to add to the RE collection. That only leaves Chronicles Collection...mmmmm. Anyway, regardless of my thoughts, the one thing to take away for sure is that ORC is strictly for RE fans. If you're just a shooter fan...nah, bro.

With that said...I'm totally going to go play it some more now.

#31 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@Quarters:

Yeah, I was mistaken with the pistols. I just never knew how to switch weapons an figured that you could only use the pistol for that weird auto-aiming thing (derp moment). As for grenades, you can throw them when you're using mid-way height cover, but when you're up against a wall your character will quite literally brake out of cover and just throw the grenade at the wall in front of you.

#32 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Weird, never noticed that with the grenade. Maybe I've never thrown it in that situation. And yeah, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to switch to the pistol too. And that auto aim's super strange. Haven't actually tried using it in a zombie fight yet. Wonder if it actually does any good.

#33 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@partypajamas said:

I don't know if this is true, but in one review the guy said he was actually able to complete the entire mission by going invisible and sprinting past the enemies and that it worked because at each checkpoint all enemies that had spawned beforehand would disappear. Sounds pretty broken. This game didn't appeal to me in the slightest as RE5 was terrible and Capcom has been pretty horrible recently (SFxT for instance).

I want to try that soooo baaaaaad...
#34 Posted by Hailinel (23698 posts) -

Given Slant Six's track record, this is not necessarily a surprise.

#35 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@partypajamas said:

I want to try that soooo baaaaaad...

Oh yeah, that totally works by the way! See, it's awful, but it's the kind of awful that you can laugh at.

#36 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5061 posts) -

I want 6 to be dumb. I mean really really fucking dumb. The dumbest fucking dumb. I want the gameplay to be fun but also dumb. I want RE6 To be a technically awesome game where the game just controls fantastic, the gameplay feels right, and that would allow you to control all of the really really dumb things in the game.

#37 Posted by LocalHJay (10 posts) -

i regret buying this new, it was... not worth that much money

#38 Edited by theharleyquin (46 posts) -

The game is alright. I'm playing co-op with a friend in VA so it's worth while. If I wasn't co-oping I think I would be disappointed. Some things it does great, like the look and feel of a RE game or even being a squad based game in a RE setting. Going back to zombies is great - I'm playing RE4 now for the first time and it's just something about killing zombies and not Las Plagas that makes it more nostalgic.

You need to play campaign to get a feeling for the controls.

#39 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Oh, but on a more positive note, noticing that Nicholai is voiced by KillBane was neat :P In fact there's quite a lot of notable voice-actors in here (David Wittenberg as Leon, probably best known as voicing Teddie in Persona 4, Nika Futterman and Robin Atkin Downes)... very surprising given the lacking narrative.

#40 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Man what a bummer week

#41 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@partypajamas

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. RE5 isn't terrible. Just needed to clarify.
#42 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@Abyssfull Glad you've come around a bit. It's some good dumb fun especially with friends. Maybe I'm crazy but I think the 360 degree pistol thing is really cool! By no means should everyone go out and play it but if you do decide to get it, it is alright.
#43 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

As a fan of Resident Evil, but apparently not that much of a fan of Resident Evil, I am not surprised. Generally speaking, most of the spinoffs of the series have been terrible. The Wii games were alright, but I wouldn't necessarily call them anything other than competent light gun esque shooting with a healthy dose of fanservice. Of course, it seems like every Resident Evil spinoff is based around a healthy dose of fanservice...

Now that the GBC version of the original game has been leaked, I think you should take one for the team and play it. I've been tempted to, but I already have enough on my proverbial stack to deal with.

#44 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -

It came from Slant Six so I figured the game was going to be terrible.

#45 Posted by scampskinz (5 posts) -

Wow that really hurts to hear all this. I was hoping for a fresh, new "old" RE game. I definitely like the idea of exploring Raccoon City again with better graphics than the PSX. Too bad it sounds like it was poorly executed.

#46 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

Yeah, pretty sure I'm gonna wait till RE6 comes out before I get any more resident evil.

#47 Posted by ESREVER (2658 posts) -

@X19 said:

Slant 6. What more needs to be said.

Yeaaaa, that's the main reason I've been apprehensive about this title. Slant 6 done me wrong with their SOCOM. People say it got better, but not until a long while after its initial release. And at that point, the damage was done :<

#48 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

will still wait for the QL but there's a reason i have not bought it yet. that kinda says alot

#49 Posted by partypajamas (9 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Yeah. I guess saying that it was terrible is a little harsh. I still had a decent time with it and the graphics were awesome. Was just extremely disappointed by it. The story wasn't all that interesting to me and the complete lack of any sort of scares in favor of more action was not something I appreciated. RE4 wasn't horrifying by any means, but it was tense at moments and had good atmosphere and the Regeneraters were pretty freaky. And RE5 just didn't capture any of that for me. I'm not a huge RE fan so maybe my opinion isn't quite so valid since I've only played 1, 2, and 4 before I played 5. Also, couldn't help facepalming when they responded to the racist claims by adding Sheva, but then at one point in the game I found myself fighting African natives covered in dirt and body paint and wearing grass skirts.

#50 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I expected nothing less. I can't wait to rent this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.