Operation Raccoon City is pretty bad.

• 93 results
#51 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Maximilian is doing a Let's Play of this game. The Let's Play is pretty good. The game looks as awful as people are saying.

VIDEO GAAAAMES!
#52 Edited by deerokus (539 posts) -

Oh dear, the voice acting of the squad in that let's play. Very amateur dramatics.

It looks clunky.

#53 Posted by kmg90 (419 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@Rerejo28 said:

Man... I really wanted this game to be good, too...

Same here. Not surprising though, seeing as it came from the same developer that made Socom Confrontation.

Being somewhat of a SOCOM fan, the game feels way too similar to SOCOM in how the game plays, feels and runs (I had to restart an entire mission because the "end boss" on the first level wouldn't properly trigger)

I personally find Slant-Six as a mediocre studio that should just die, all of there games are garbage and how they got on board with Capcom to make this game is more scary than the game itself...

#54 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

Make no mistake, I am a soopa RE obsessive. I love this series and I've held strong its toughest time always trying to defend it in some manner (The Outbreak games and Dead Aim for example),

Oh please. Those games weren't that bad. Outbreak was a blast online, and Dead Aim is actually pretty underrated IMO. Though Outbreak was damn near unplayable offline, especially in File #2.

This game looked like shit, and sure enough, here we are. Capcom really hates RE and its fans it seems. Between that dog shit RE5 and this, I'm guessing RE means little more to Capcom than serving to exist as a ATM for them.

#55 Posted by MsMalloryKnoxx (19 posts) -

@Camosid said:

I gotta say this game is not good, but I really really like it. I guess that happens occasionaly I loved Castlevania HD too but also think it was maybe worth a 6 out of 10. Specifically I just played the RCPD portion and kind of geeked out over the chiefs office, lion statue, and the gun shop from RE2. This might be fun for RE fans but yea it kinda sucks. The only thing I don't agree with from most reviews is that the shooting feels fine to me and I actually really like the co-op.

I've seriously geeked out on everything that was dead on from the old games...I literally fan girl squealed when the Leon and Claire cut scene started. I love the game despite cussing at the AI's pretty regularly. Guess I'm just easy to please though.

#56 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@QuistisTrepe said:

@Abyssfull said:

Make no mistake, I am a soopa RE obsessive. I love this series and I've held strong its toughest time always trying to defend it in some manner (The Outbreak games and Dead Aim for example),

Oh please. Those games weren't that bad. Outbreak was a blast online, and Dead Aim is actually pretty underrated IMO. Though Outbreak was damn near unplayable offline, especially in File #2.

This game looked like shit, and sure enough, here we are. Capcom really hates RE and its fans it seems. Between that dog shit RE5 and this, I'm guessing RE means little more to Capcom than serving to exist as a ATM for them.

Why so defensive? I never said the outbreak games or Dead Aim were bad, I was just referring to the overall critical consensus. I loved Outbreak, to which I think you would have already caught on by now with some of my previous posts. And the UK version never even had online play, so I was stuck cleaning up after the AIs. And still did I invest around 245 hours into that fucker and still does it reside as one of my favourites from the entire franchise.

File 2 I'm not so appreciative of because it really is nigh unplayable offline because of the absurd increase in difficulty. They did implement online even over here, but I never had the doohikeys needed to play online so I was still stuck with the AI's. Dead Aim I thought was alright. Story was largely forgettable (or at least I can barely remember anything that happened in there... besides some androgynous Sephiroth wannabe called Morpheous and how he injects some T n G turning him into an electric chick), but I recall that I had some fun with it. I also played it with a regular PS2 pad as well... Point is, I'm well versed in standing up against the odds when RE is concerned ;P But ORC is just that tedious and boring. Decided to try out some more MP and it's so goddamn unbalanced... half of the classes are made to be completely moot as well. Only ones that matter really are Assault and Medic... maybe Recon, or Virologist if there's a Tyrant you can woo with your pheromone ability.

#57 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

I'll be getting this for £10 sometime in the future.

#58 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Guess we'll just have to wait until Resident Evil 6.

#59 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

"Clunky" is the only way I can describe the game. The menus, the controls, AI, game mechanics... It's still a dumb-fun game; I just probably won't return to it with any frequency, and it will always be with friends. Practically nothing to be had solo. Well, at least I've got Armored Core V to wash whatever bitter taste is in my mouth! \(o3o)/

#60 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

I'm not going to argue that the game is particularly good, but I will say that I'm having far more fun with the game then I did with RE5.

If Resident Evil is going to turn into a pure action series, then hopefully RE6 will finally get the formula right.

#61 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

I like it so far.

#62 Edited by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

Listen guys; the important thing is that Slant Six upheld the fine, fine tradition of RE spinoffs that are terrible failures. Did we all forget so quickly:

-The Resident Evil Dead Aim titles? Light gun on-rail shooters that cannot be played with a gun controller?

-Resident Evil for Gameboy Color? If you never saw Resident Evil Gaiden, you really should. It's magnificently terrible.

-The Resident Evil Outbreak titles? A co-op online title that doesn't let you communicate with teammates via headsets? Genius!

And so on.

Frankly, it's just been awhile. Capcom felt there was a void that needed to be filled, and Slant Six were the guys to do it! XD

#63 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

I bought it today, I just played hero mode online and the first 2 story missions.
I like it a lot. hero mode is a blast.

#64 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

I bought it today, I just played hero mode online and the first 2 story missions. I like it a lot. hero mode is a blast.

Well of course you would, user formerly known as kingzetta formerly known as trophyhunter. Your taste has always been rather suspect.. like your love for the Dynasty Warrior series.

#65 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

I bought it today, I just played hero mode online and the first 2 story missions. I like it a lot. hero mode is a blast.

Well of course you would, user formerly known as kingzetta formerly known as trophyhunter. Your taste has always been rather suspect.. like your love for the Dynasty Warrior series.

Seriously dude what the fuck are you talking about?
#66 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

x]

#67 Posted by buzz_clik (6964 posts) -
#68 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

x]

You're one creepy guy.
#69 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama: Coming from someone who chooses to start over with a new profile to try and wash away all the stupid he's synonymous with, thats million bucks! I suppose that's... more so sad than creepy, though. But whatever.

#70 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

@Shun_Akiyama: Coming from someone who chooses to start over with a new profile to try and wash away all the stupid he's synonymous with, thats million bucks! I suppose that's... more so sad than creepy, though. But whatever.

No, your obsession with this kingzetta user is really creepy.
#71 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama: Yeah yeah, deny it all you want. I'm not going to go out of my to prove how I know this is another 'fresh start' you've given yourself. I just wanted to point out that I know is all. Hmm, guess that does sound a little creepy. But it's your own fault for making it so damn obvious! :o

#72 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Yes, this game fucking sucks. I am in debt to GameStop for allowing me to return it.

#73 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

@Shun_Akiyama: Yeah yeah, deny it all you want. I'm not going to go out of my to prove how I know this is another 'fresh start' you've given yourself. I just wanted to point out that I know is all. Hmm, guess that does sound a little creepy. But it's your own fault for making it so damn obvious! :o

So was king zetta your boyfriend or something?
#74 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Abyssfull said:

So was king zetta your boyfriend or something?

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#75 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

So that means this game will be $20 in like 3 months right? I'll pick it up then.

#76 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

*clicks link*

@buzz_clik said:

I'm not going to detail the experience here, because after finishing the game I'm actually going to write my first ever Giant Bomb review.

You never did.

#77 Edited by buzz_clik (6964 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Ha! I was waiting for someone to point that out. I did actually write most of the review, looked at it and then figured "I don't really need to write this."

#78 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

The game has sideways, forward, and backwards dodge. A lot of your statements including that one are wrong. You obviously didn't play the game OP.

Besides that the story is pretty hilarious and the voice acting/script is really terrible. Otherwise I'm enjoying it.

#79 Posted by HeavyDuty32 (305 posts) -

I enjoyed the parts of the campaign where you're just fighting regular zombies. All the enemies after that are cheap as shit, especially the hunters. And yeah, multiplayer is not worth it.

#80 Posted by Quarters (1667 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

Listen guys; the important thing is that Slant Six upheld the fine, fine tradition of RE spinoffs that are terrible failures. Did we all forget so quickly:

-The Resident Evil Dead Aim titles? Light gun on-rail shooters that cannot be played with a gun controller?

-Resident Evil for Gameboy Color? If you never saw Resident Evil Gaiden, you really should. It's magnificently terrible.

-The Resident Evil Outbreak titles? A co-op online title that doesn't let you communicate with teammates via headsets? Genius!

And so on.

Frankly, it's just been awhile. Capcom felt there was a void that needed to be filled, and Slant Six were the guys to do it! XD

Yeah, kind of have to agree with this. And honestly, out of this list, ORC is actually the best of the bunch. Finished it the other night, and it was alright. Last level served as a decent little epilogue for RE2. Curious to see what the DLC adds, and if it ties into RE3 more.

#81 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Quarters said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

And so on.

Yeah, kind of have to agree with this. And honestly, out of this list, ORC is actually the best of the bunch. Finished it the other night, and it was alright. Last level served as a decent little epilogue for RE2. Curious to see what the DLC adds, and if it ties into RE3 more.

Both Outbreak games are like the Mona Lisa of gaming compared to ORC. Even Dead Aim wasn't all that bad.

#82 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

God yes. The QL for this game is going to be great. x)

#83 Posted by ZagZagovich (757 posts) -

@Rohok:

I haven't played it but this sounds like the most convoluted way to do an action.

#84 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

I'm going to review the game for this website I write for, from reading this thread I do not look forwards to that experience..

#85 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11594 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

And so on.

Let's be fair. The best spinoffs were Umbrella and Darkside chronicles, and even then those games are only slightly above mediocre. I feel like a good Resident Evil spinoff title would herald the end of the world, or at least the end of the series as something to be taken seriously (if that hasn't happened already).

@Abyssfull: Wait, Kingzetta was Trophyhunter? FUCK. Much like your previous knowledge bomb that Contro was secretly Linkyshinks, That makes so much sense. I guess I don't pay enough attention past the general idiocy of any given poster to investigate further. Next you'll be telling me that whyareyoucrouchingspock is the reincarnation of HitmanAgent47's ego without the insane conspiracy theorizing.

#86 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: I don't know about that, but I can at least confirm that I... am your alt.

It's the end of a trilogy, have to go out with something nonsensical.

#87 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@Rohok:

Fine, but again, the little dives are still useless barely covering any ground, pistols are still useless because they do barely any damage to anything and ORC suffers from that exact same problem with the cover, only it's much more prevalent (for the record, i never had any problem with the cover in ME3...). So many times would I try to pick up something, or press some button for the game to continue or whatever, only to accidentally pick up a weapon that's next to my foot. Trying to revive players is a bloody hassle as well because of that very issue. Hell, it can even break an entire game mode. The Biohazard mode where you have to collect G-Virus vials; if there's a weapon or something close by, it'll somehow cancel out anyone's ability to actually pick it up. And I don't mean because the guns are in the way, I mean because even if you adjust your position just right so you can finally pick up the damn thing, you'll instead receive some debug message like ''G_Virus_Vial_Disabled''. I'm not even joking. And it's happened quite a few times as well.

As for your preference for ORC's combat over ME3's, I... I'm... bewildered. But whatever. The point is, not only is ORC completely generic with lackluster gameplay, but it's even outright broken in some areas like the one I mentioned above. Even after putting around 20 hours in (because I'm finding a lot of ironic joy screwing about with all of the rubbish) I still highly recommend against anyone buying it, and for anyone who's still curious, just give it a rent.

EDIT: gaah, I don't mean with the cover... got my game mechanics mixed up. I mean with the A/X button being used for too much.

#88 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

I actually enjoy the game.

Is it amazing? great? no, fun? with friends hell yeah. It has many many problems but i am having a blast with it.

#89 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

After seeing the quick look & witnessing how flimsy a heavy machine gun is against lickers (looked worse than the smg on damage done), I will definitely rent it. Thanks for the informative post.

#90 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1355 posts) -

Really should have been called Resident Evil: Raccoon city nights.

#91 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

I don't mean to whore myself out, but I have issued my own review of the game, if anyone is interested enough to read my thoughts on it.

Just in the off chance that someone may want a little more insight on it, I think I've laid out a pretty wide net of information on the game, and am surprisingly level-headed about it, instead of jumping straight for the putdowns and negativity.

#92 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Hhahahahahahahahaahha... I just went through the Nemesis boss battle where the Nemesis was stuck in that T shape with his arms up, or ''Jesus mode'' as others might recall the position. His mini gun was floating below him too. God... fucking bless this game. For as utterly fucking crap that it is, I can't help but appreciate the amount of laughs this game has given me.

#93 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@Abyssfull:

That's just....extraordinary. I can haz game testing?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.