Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 24, 2015

Revelations 2 sees the return of Claire Redfield, who along with the daughter of Barry Burton, Moira Burton, must try to escape from a monster-infested island. Meanwhile, Barry Burton himself makes his belated return as well in his attempts to save his daughter with the assistance of a little girl called Natalia Korda.

TGS stuffs!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

It's more or less the same trailer, just... well, extended. It has a few more additional not-so-subtle references such as Jill Sandwiches (which seems a little drole at this point, though no more than the itchy tasty reference I guess), what looks like an item box, the placement of an umbrella, and the clocks are now in full view with separate times. Maybe hinting at a release date for 'February 7th' judging by the hours on each clock? The clicking noise starts to veer much more into the forefront as the girl passes, so they clearly want you to focus on the clocks at that point.

Also, a zombie is shown to be wielding a pipe, so I guess that may means the zombies will again have the capacity to wield melee weapons like in RE6. Oh, and a photo of a boat; reference to Queen Zenobia from Revelations? As it progresses, the environment looks like a derelict prison, which would fit in line with that leaked screenshot. Oh, and itchy tasty reference at 1:03.

Also, I just realised that the song playing is a remix of the main menu music from Revelations. And the woman standing next to the table at 0:42 has the same stupid hairstyle as Rachael Foley.

They were my original observations from the first teaser trailer! ^

It also just occurred to me that the Barry look-alike next to what we now know is Moira may be the guy further on in the trailer dressed in the combat gear. Which may hint at a playable appearance? Or at least adds credence to whoever that character is being of some importance -- plus the Jill's sandwiches thing adds more evidence to suggest that Barry himself will have starring role me thinks. It finally ends on what also looks to be Claire Redfield about to be swarmed by whatever iteration of zombies we're going to have in this 'un. Though she isn't shown to be wearing the wristband weirdly enough.

Overall I think it's at the very least a pretty well done trailer. That slow pan across the zombie's face is pretty unsettling to watch! Least I thought so.

EDIT1

Ah, so I've just noticed a gameplay preview from Kotaku here that lists some of the game's features. What's notable is that even in single-player you can switch between both Claire and Moira on the fly, and while Moira doesn't use guns, she does at least have a crowbar she can get snag a few stealth kills with. Then there's still of course her flashlight that she can use to blind enemies, allowing Claire to then go in and unleash a melee attack.

Story wise it seems they're being monitored while this is all going on (Evil is watching ect.) which almost adds a Saw-esque quality to it in a way. Though besides that, what I'm most happy to hear is how the two distinct character abilities of Claire and Moira will mesh together, and it looks like a decent concept for designing something more cooperative focussed while still keeping it rooted within something resembling survival horror. Plus with the way you can switch between both characters, it looks like it'll viable for both single-player and cooperative venues.

Honestly the more I hear about this the more I get excited, and it's at the very least comforting to see Capcom are experimenting with many new ideas concerning the series with this game. Maybe this'll essentially function as a test case for how RE7 may resemble? Or will at least inspire certain elements so we don't end up with another explosion-orgy like RE6

EDIT2:

So, courtesy of IGN, here's 4 minutes of unedited gameplay right off the show floor! And er... the first thing I notice is how weird the animations look; seems it'll still have the same sprint from RE6. The way Claire moves sideways and diagonally looks really bad, though, much like how it was in the first Revelations.

Other things I've noticed is it seems you can once again start slashing away with your knife without having to equip it just like in Revelations, there doesn't appear to be a laser sight (hopefully it'll be available as an alternative; though Revelations on consoles didn't =/), your health is again reflected by the screen getting bloodier, and as it turns out you won't open doors in first-person like it was hinted at during the previous trailer, which is kinda disappointing. In fact the animation looked to be the exact same one from RE6 for when you would open a door reeeeal slowly like; wonder then if you can again alternate between opening it like so or instead kicking it open. Though Claire seems to open the door pretty quickly, so I wonder if it'll be necessary.Still, it also shows the character-switching, which does indeed look to be instantaneous.

Hard to get a sense of things from those 4 minutes... but goddamn I can't get over how weird it all animates; makes the way you move in that game look all swimmy. A shame they kept that RE6 silly sprinting animation of all things. At least the camera seems to give you a lot of space.

EDIT3:

Reading some previews has revealed that the weird dodge maneuver from the first Revelations is to return, and that the game will in fact be roughly 10-12 hour long overall?

EDIT4:

It's a little dark, but it certainly beats the previous look at the game. It also looks like this is the entire opening of what'll be the first episode, so spoilers and all that.

Anywhoo, the first thing that I noticed is how it looks like Alyson Court is most definitely not voicing Claire anymore... That kinda sucks, as she was the last of the old VO left, and has been the most consistently involved voice artist for the series. It sounds like Ali Hillis is her replacement, which is weird considering she voiced Jessica in Revelations; guess that character's not coming back anytime soon then? It's either Ali or Gwendoline Yeo, I can't quite tell... Though what is certain is that it isn't Alyson Court. =/

Moira seems... well, I never expected her to be quite so swear-happy. But then this series has been getting more frequent with the swearing lately, for better or worse. Not that swearing is bad of course, but after the wonderfully goofy dialogue from the first Revelations, it's surprising to see this take itself a little more seriously with some character reactions that actually feel a little more natural. At the same time her atypical ''young adult'' sorta talk (well that blows) I'm sure may be quick to get on some peoples nerves. And ouch, Claire considers a gun to be ''more reliable than any person''? Kinda seems... well, I was going to say out of character but then like most of this series' cast she's never had that much of one. I was surprised to hear her say something like that anywhoo, given that as far as I'm aware she hasn't been betrayed or anything like that. Or maybe that's just meant to represent her tired nature of all this constant B.O.W. nonsense that keeps happening -- the evils of man ect.

It's refreshing to see the game place such an emphasis on the knife right at the get-go, too. Yet another parallel to Code: Veronica, what with Claire initially being left to fend for herself with only a knife during the first combat encounter. Has a very decrepit, grimy atmosphere to it too, and is definitely a much more effective showing of the game's atmosphere than the video above. Nice bit of atmospheric music about it -- all foreboding and the like. It ends just as it seems they're about to reach another, perhaps more open segment of the prison. I'm really glad I got to see this anyway, as having to speculate from that 4 minute video wasn't doing my enthusiasm any favours. This showing, however, definitely has me excited again!

Some other observations:

• Claire's pistol looks to carry the same sound effect as the Nine-O-Nine pistol from RE6.
    • Speaking of more carry overs from RE6, those destructable boxes are totally RE6 boxes.Of course, this is a post-RE6 game, and hey at least it still seems that the inclusion of a sprint is the most notable feature that's been brought over!
    • It seems that the enemies will just completely ignore Moira? Since she also isn't shown to be wearing one of those wristbands, I wonder if that'll be related to the story.
    • Judging by the inventory, you'll be able to equip four weapons at once, instead of just three like in the first Revelations.
    • Also, Hunting Shotgun! Haven't seen one of them in this series for a while. Well, Operation Raccoon City had one but... let's not.
    • I hope that there'll be a better justification for Moira not using guns beyond her ''not doing firearms''. It sounds like there's a history with it, maybe even related to Barry? Maybe growing up in a household run by a gun nut actually deterred her away from the idea of using one. That sounds like that could actually make for an interesting narrative point! Which of course means it... probably isn't the reason at all.
    • Moira's torch looks to also function in a manner similar to the Genesis scanner from the first Revelations, in that she can use her torch to spot additional supplies that Claire otherwise couldn't collect.
    • Seeing the player not have to mash X to open the door with Moira using the crowbar... I dunno, kinda warms my heart a little.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Altered title to note the additional gameplay details! Would hopefully bring about more interest than a rehash of an old trailer, though Resident Evil doesn't really seem to be one of those franchises that brings about much conversation on here anywhoo I've noticed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped for the sake of the 4 minutes of new gameplay!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

That looks scarily like RE6

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Never played the first one and this one doesn't look all too great from this video although mind you, it is early days.

Still, I'm finding it hard to care about what they've done with this franchise post 4. At this point I wouldn't mind a reboot.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

It's hard to get an idea of how the movements feel when it seems that whoever was playing was holding a controller for the first time in his/her life.

In any case, i like how it looks visually with a sort of Saw/Manhunt vibe.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pie said:

At this point that is the most scary possible thing about an RE game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

I wouldn't go that far. It shares some animations, but it still looks much more in-line with the first Revelations game than it does RE6.

@pr1mus said:

It's hard to get an idea of how the movements feel when it seems that whoever was playing was holding a controller for the first time in his/her life.

In any case, i like how it looks visually with a sort of Saw/Manhunt vibe.

Well one thing that's for certain is that they still seem adamant in straying away from the more grounded style of movement/animations from RE4/RE5 for whatever reason. Sure, it would take the controls back to tanking, but hey for the games they were they were totally fine! That they've actually opted to keep in a sprint function in particular is kind of odd. Also, yes, the person playing was pretty terrible, which didn't help put it in the best light.

Oh, funnily enough one other thing that surprised me is you see Claire climbing down the ladder... y'know, as opposed to just jumping down as has been the norm since RE4. Even the first Revelations had you leaping down regardless of the height. A small touch, but I like it.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I loved how "grounded" five felt, made every action feel quite deliberate. It all looks a little bit.. cost cutty as far as animations go but it's a budget priced experiment so I'm not surprised there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wampa1: Yeah, exactly -- it made the characters feel like they have weight to them. But you're also correct that Revelations 2 is a budget title, so I guess it should come to no surprise to see this looking a little... unrefined. Still, those animations... so weird!

Great avatar by the way ;)

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I get why Capcom dropped it, I'm one of those weirdos who ended up pouring a lot of time into 6 on PC with the modifiable camera and I get the feeling if they stuck with 5's controls they'd have gotten flack for getting "stale" just swung the controls to too loose instead, Revelations was a better middle ground. Hah, thanks was considering getting it on a tee but it might not be the best design for a guy in his mid 20's in Scotland y'know?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I think it's pretty unfair to judge this footage for two reasons.

1. The game is being shot offscreen so it really doesn't give the best representation of how it's going to really look

2. The person playing this seems to be either playing a video game for the very first time, has the controller upside down or has a broken remote.

I'm curious to hear more about this, I just grabbed revelations on sale and kinda like the episodic route they took and think it could work well for this. Then again, I'm a rare monster and love all Resident Evil games, even 6 so my opinions don't matter I suppose.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

That run is super RE6-y. Crouch confirmed!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like RE6, a good game. So presumably will also be a good game. Except for the sidesteps, those look bad.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

either the guy doesn't know how to control video games well? or the controls aren't the same from Revelations which were pretty much RE5 controls? especially the new animations aren't reused animation from RE5..... hmmmmm looks okay.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That run is super RE6-y. Crouch confirmed!

Which makes for another parallel to The Last of Us. Not to say that The Last of Us is the purveyor of allowing you to crouch... but still, I think this game's influences are obvious enough.

ALSO STOP CHANGING YOUR BLEEDIN' AVATAR GODDAMNIT

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@yummylee: The Evil Within also has crouching. I hope that this is how all of these new horror games start competing with each other. Silent Hills will let you go prone.

But...but...FAT CHOCOBO!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

Gotta admire Capcom for continuing to stick with the car physics model for their character movement.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That trailer was awfully nuclear.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@n7 said:

As in your interest in this game has suffered a... nuclear... explosion?

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mustainium

I'm really just hoping the ridiculous melee finishers are back. I missed them in the first Rev game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really just hoping the ridiculous melee finishers are back. I missed them in the first Rev game.

You mean like Chris' Haymaker and stuff? Unlikely, as from what I can gather it'll follow Revelations one chargeable melee attack per character setup I think -- with Moira's torch being used to stun enemies. So, no melee attack combos between Claire and Moira at least. I could be wrong, though. It'll have some stealth takedowns, that much I'm certain at least.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee:

That's too bad. The best thing about RE6 was how every character was a third degree black belt.

Rev 2 still looks interesting, though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@yummylee:

That's too bad. The best thing about RE6 was how every character was a third degree black belt.

Rev 2 still looks interesting, though.

Not to mention a wrestling champion. Helena has one pretty impressive dropkick O.o. But yeah I didn't know you were referring to RE6, to which... nah, the melee stuff most definitely won't be on that level of complexity. This is still technically a spin-off series after all, and while I can't even fathom just what a next numbered Resident Evil game will look like, there's definitely a higher chance that the more freeforming melee stuff will return in one of those than a Revelations game.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That run animation reminds me very much of another (non-Resi) game but I cant for the life of me remember what it is.

Ah well, I'm quite interested in this. Also feeling an itch to play RE6 for the first time now, might go do that at some point.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Looks similar to RE 6 and Revelations. The monster design reminded me of Dementium 2.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mustainium

@euandewar:

RE6 is an absolute mess, but I feel like it really tries to do enough right that's it's worth playing through.

The combat can be enjoyable when you're not being flooded with RPG and sniper spam.

@yummylee:

Yeah, you're right, it'll probably be a long wait till RE7 though!

Also just realized we're getting RE at 60fps. Should be great.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@n7 said:

As in your interest in this game has suffered a... nuclear... explosion?

As in they were playing the MGSV trailer in the background. But close enough.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Ha, wow, I thought that tune sounded familiar... Sounds eerie enough that it actually kinda fits the video, least when it's put under a filter of Japanese voices and conference floor noise.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped for more gameplay stuffs!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.