Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Revelations

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Jan 26, 2012

Resident Evil: Revelations is a full, story-driven Resident Evil title in which Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine split up to investigate a new conspiracy, with new partners Parker and Jessica.

3DS version over PS3?

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I downloaded the 3DS demo back when I first got my 3DS, but I've never played it until now and actually quite enjoyed it, thought it looked amazing for a 3DS game. I was about to buy the full game but noticed it was also on PS3.. so I'm now unsure what version to buy.

PS3 would obviously run a lot smoother and look better, but I thought the 3D was brilliant on the DS version

Which version should I get?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

From what I'm to believe the HD version is simply the 3DS but with a bit more stuff, though primarily for Raid mode. Plus if you want to move & shoot you need the circlepad pro for the 3DS, but you should still be fine without it. Something to consider if you don't care for the stop-and-pop gameplay anywhoo. The Raid mode is balanced differently from what I hear, though, and doesn't require nearly as much insane grinding as its console & PC port. I think they're rather comparable overall and it should probably only come down to which version you can find for the cheapest.

EDIT: Also, the HD version isn't exactly much of a looker. It probably technically looks better than the 3DS version, but the difference in screen-size may still give the 3DS version more pleasing visuals. That the HD version is a port of a handheld game really shows and I'd say it looks much worse than even RE4 for example.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Is the 3DS Circlepad Pro mandatory for playing it? I played the demo (pretty small demo) without and I thought it controlled fine, but not sure about later in-game

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@yummylee said:

From what I'm to believe the HD version is simply the 3DS but with a bit more stuff, though primarily for Raid mode. Plus if you want to move & shoot you need the circlepad pro for the 3DS, but you should still be fine without it. Something to consider if you don't care for the stop-and-pop gameplay anywhoo. The Raid mode is balanced differently from what I hear, though, and doesn't require nearly as much insane grinding as its console & PC port. I think they're rather comparable overall and it should probably only come down to which version you can find for the cheapest.

EDIT: Also, the HD version isn't exactly much of a looker. It probably technically looks better than the 3DS version, but the difference in screen-size may still give the 3DS version more pleasing visuals. That the HD version is a port of a handheld game really shows and I'd say it looks much worse than even RE4 for example.

Yeah. Having played both the 3DS and Wii U versions, the console port just looks kind of off.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Would you say the 3DS version is definitely more worth it?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Hmm. The PS3 version is probably the version to go with. It doesn't have the crazy load-stuttering in lifts. If You're only playing it for the single player it doesn't really matter which version you get, but if you're going to get into Raid mode there's some huge changes in the leveling. It took about 35-40 Hours to hit level 50 in the 3DS, but It took close to a hundred to do the same thing in the console version. It's a real chore and they removed all of the achievements which meant you were always making progress towards something, even if you failed the mission.

The 3DS does have a couple of cool uses of the touchpad and has some pretty cool 3D if you put the slider to full.

Now I just re-read what I just wrote... that's 140 hours of raid... man, I hate myself.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@elneebre said:

@hailinel: Would you say the 3DS version is definitely more worth it?

The 3DS version is perfectly fine. The Circle Pad Pro is not necessary to play it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@elneebre said:

@yummylee: Is the 3DS Circlepad Pro mandatory for playing it? I played the demo (pretty small demo) without and I thought it controlled fine, but not sure about later in-game

I wouldn't know as I haven't played the 3DS version myself, but I wouldn't think so. I remember a lot of the reviews saying as such that it controls fine either way. Raid mode is the only instance where you may feel like you wish you could move & shoot simultaneously, but even then that's only judging from my experience playing the HD version's, which was made to be significantly more difficult than the original 3DS version's Raid mode.

Again, I'd say it should probably come down to which version you can find for the cheapest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.