Am I the only one bothered by this?

#1 Edited by nohthink (1223 posts) -
This is Sheva from Resident Evil 5
This is Jill from Resident Evil; Revelation

As you can see, Jill looks a lot like Sheva. I understand that Jill has been going through some changes over the course of Resident Evil history. But I could not help my but thinking "what the...." Now THIS is what Jill looked like in Resident Evil 5.

She looks NOTHING like Jill from Revelation.

I don't know why this is bothering me so much but I cannot be the only one noticing this...

Did they just change Jill's looks because Sheva was so popular in the 5th Resident Evil? I know I'm asking for an explanation that is not worthwhile but... I don't know.

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Other than her hair, she looks similar enough. Wesker probably has a thing for blondes. Or he's a white supremacist. Probably both.

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
#4 Posted by AlisterCat (5694 posts) -

You will never, ever be the only one, snowflake.

To answer the question, I don't know. She doesn't look anything like Jill from Resident Evil 1 (obviously) or Resident Evil 3. I think it's just a case of different divisions and departments. Different 3D artists building different models for different engines. The nuance of the way characters look is bound to be lost.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Hair color can make you think someone looks super different when they dont. Its the hair color dude. 

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

She had dark hair in the DLC for RE5 too.

#8 Posted by believer258 (12072 posts) -

She colored her hair.

That, as well as the angle and lighting, are the only real differences that I see. Everything else looks pretty much like the same person.

#9 Posted by iAmJohn (6131 posts) -
#10 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Is she still the master of unlocking, though?

#11 Posted by MiniPato (2745 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Hair color can make you think someone looks super different when they dont. Its the hair color dude.

No it isn't just the hair. Her face looks different. Look at the Lost in Nightmares model for Jill where she is still a brunette, she looks like RE5 Jill even with brown hair. It's nothing to fuss over and I'm not bothered by it, but she does look different in Revelations

#12 Posted by CornBREDX (5784 posts) -

While I agree with the similarity you found- I am not bothered by it like you are.

#13 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Jill still looks like Jill to me.

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

No it isn't just the hair. Her face looks different. Look at the Lost in Nightmares model for Jill where she is still a brunette, she looks like RE5 Jill even with brown hair. It's nothing to fuss over and I'm not bothered by it, but she does look different in Revelations

Maybe cause its 10 years later? RE5 is 10 years after that DLC. When is Revelations is based? 
#15 Posted by TheIronYuppie (120 posts) -

Jill isn't blonde in Revelations because it takes place between RE4 and RE5. Before she was taken by Wesker and turned into Aryan Action Jill

#16 Posted by MiniPato (2745 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@MiniPato said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Maybe cause its 10 years later? RE5 is 10 years after that DLC. When is Revelations is based?

The DLC has to take place after Revelations since that explains how Jill went missing. I'm not really gonna try to come up with some timeline to justify her different appearance since I'm pretty sure it's just different character modelers and something about it being on the 3DS. I'm not bothered by it. She just happens to look different in this one, no real canonical reason behind it.

#17 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

As far as the faces, eh...

As far as the hair color, it makes sense.

And yes, you're the only one.

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@MiniPato said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Maybe cause its 10 years later? RE5 is 10 years after that DLC. When is Revelations is based?

The DLC has to take place after Revelations since that explains how Jill went missing. I'm not really gonna try to come up with some timeline to justify her different appearance since I'm pretty sure it's just different character modelers and something about it being on the 3DS. I'm not bothered by it. She just happens to look different in this one, no real canonical reason behind it.

Chances are its because its a different less powerfull system.  

Or you can tell yourself its a 11 year gap with 10 years of mind control juice pumping into her system. 
#19 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Women all have the same faces, where's the problem

#20 Posted by Spoonman671 (4744 posts) -

She looks like Sheva?  I guess they are both female.

#21 Edited by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

Jill has never looked consistent from one game to the next, and she's had a different voice actor for virtually every installment she's been in. The only way you know it's Jill is because people call her that. Looking at the pictures though, her hair is actually the exact same except for 2009 Jill being blonde (this along with becoming pale are explained as a reaction to Wesker's various experiments).

@The_Laughing_Man: @MiniPato: To answer both you guys, Revelations is set in 2005, the incident at Spencer's mansion (where she falls to her death) is 2006, and the events of Resident Evil 5 are 2009.

#22 Posted by Harkat (1106 posts) -

@nohthink said:

Did they just change Jill's looks because Sheva was so popular in the 5th Resident Evil?

LUL.

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm more bothered by this.

#24 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

I don't think she looks like Sheva at all, although I agree she doesn't look like the Jill I know and love either, not that much different though really...

#25 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

Yes you are and RE5 Jill and Revelations Jill look the same except for hair color

#26 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1732 posts) -

If you don't think that Sheva was changed to a black sidekick late in development to put aside those racism rows, you don't know shit about videogames.  

I'm only slightly trolling. 

#27 Posted by RazielCuts (2981 posts) -

@nohthink said:

Did they just change Jill's looks because Sheva was so popular in the 5th Resident Evil? I know I'm asking for an explanation that is not worthwhile but... I don't know.

Sheva was popular?

She's Jill just with blond hair, Wesker had her under his control and likes blonds like himself so he changed it. Also it was supposed to be a surprise that the mysterious woman was Jill in RE5 so they probs did it to throw players off. Revelations is between 4 and 5 apparently.

Also, Video Games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.