This game's save file is permanent, no erasing

#1 Posted by PirateNipple (89 posts) -

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/06/resident-evil-the-mercenaries-save-file-is-permanent.html

That popped up today and is sparking discussion as to why. The only logical reason is they don't want people buying the game used, thinking that people prefer to start games fresh and unlock things on their own. Retailers are offering even less than usual for trade-ins on the game too.

It's a pretty bold move, it'll be interesting to see how well the game does.

Can 3DS games be "patched"? Is that something that the 3DS is capable of?

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (5981 posts) -

That is really shitty of Capcom to do that.

#3 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5236 posts) -

@PirateNipple said:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/06/resident-evil-the-mercenaries-save-file-is-permanent.html That popped up today and is sparking discussion as to why. The only logical reason is they don't want people buying the game used, thinking that people prefer to start games fresh and unlock things on their own. Retailers are offering even less than usual for trade-ins on the game too. It's a pretty bold move, it'll be interesting to see how well the game does. Can 3DS games be "patched"? Is that something that the 3DS is capable of?

I don't see why games couldn't be patched. The pokedex is a good example that new elements can be added to existing software.

So people that want to start a new game just for the sake of it can't. Cool stuff Capcom.

#4 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Guess to prevent used games being sold? kinda dumb but understandable in that aspect

#5 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Way to treat your customers like criminals. 
Fucking cunts.

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (13977 posts) -

That's kind of a dick move on Capcom's part.

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

@coakroach said:

Way to treat your customers like criminals. Fucking cunts.
#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

Capcom Capcom Capcom...

POOOOR QUUUUUEEEEEE?!?

#9 Posted by xchaos12@gmail.com (6 posts) -

This is ridiculous, honestly. Any game I even remotely like I play through at least twice.

....maybe this is Capcom's way of telling us the game is bad enough to the point where we won't want to ever replay it?

#10 Posted by supermike6 (3523 posts) -

That's pretty shitty.

#11 Posted by CrazyBagMan (801 posts) -

@xchaos12@gmail.com said:

This is ridiculous, honestly. Any game I even remotely like I play through at least twice.

The game style that this is, replaying isn't affected by the save issue. Unless by play through twice you intended to unlock everything twice.

#12 Posted by DillonWerner (1521 posts) -

Fuck you Capcom

#13 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@DillonWerner said:
Fuck you Capcom
Erghh kind of vague...
#14 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

At least it's a mediocre game they're doing this to. Hopefully Capcom takes a hit in sales for this game so maybe they'll learn their lesson.

#15 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

This is stupid, and I will not buy this game to spite Capcom's obvious shady marketing.  It's a good thing that the game is mediocre anyway.

#16 Posted by Amerist (58 posts) -

In 40 years when antiques are all that's left of this gimmick game, I will be there on eBay trying to sell mine for $100 to the highest bidder. Still in the box. ξ

#17 Posted by Galaxian (34 posts) -

Who cares!

I'm not into buying used games and why would I want to delete my save game anyway? Buying a used copy of the game does not stop you playing through all the levels and it's going to take a seriously long time to unlock everything. I can't imagine anyone wanting to start over again. Sigh... the internet just loves to get upset about the stupidest things.

#18 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Galaxian: A lot of people are interested in starting from scratch and having their own experience of progressing through the game. It's a valid complaint. As long as there is a valid technical reason it's not a big deal, but it's not unreasonable for people to be miffed about it.

#19 Posted by Galaxian (34 posts) -

@nintendoeats: I realise it's an odd decision for Capcom to have made but personally I would never delete a save game. If anything I'm paranoid about losing my save games and always back the things up where possible. It just seems crazy to me that the internet goes mental every time something like this happens. From what I'm reading most people are being sensible and reading reviews before buying so if they don't agree with this and think it would ruin their enjoyment then the best thing is to show Capcom by not buying the game.

As to whether Capcom's intentions are to stop the sale of used games, who knows. Many companies are choosing to do this one way or another. If Capcom did not intend this and have simply screwed up then I doubt they'll do it again.

#20 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

The only reason why I believe Capcom is because, seriously, is anybody gonna buy this used? Or at all? Yeah...

#21 Posted by ZRLeigh (49 posts) -

The game save issue and the fact that it's full price here in the UK has put me off buying the game. Nice work Capcom!

#22 Posted by The_Nubster (1953 posts) -
@Galaxian said:

@nintendoeats: I realise it's an odd decision for Capcom to have made but personally I would never delete a save game. If anything I'm paranoid about losing my save games and always back the things up where possible. It just seems crazy to me that the internet goes mental every time something like this happens. From what I'm reading most people are being sensible and reading reviews before buying so if they don't agree with this and think it would ruin their enjoyment then the best thing is to show Capcom by not buying the game.

As to whether Capcom's intentions are to stop the sale of used games, who knows. Many companies are choosing to do this one way or another. If Capcom did not intend this and have simply screwed up then I doubt they'll do it again.

Yes, and people are going to not buy the game. But everyone isn't you, a lot of people enjoy starting from scratch because it's satisfying to progress (like prestige levels in CoD). It's a stupid hing to do, especially since some people DO buy used and this ruins that for them. It's not worth $40 as is, and no one is going to want to buy a copy that's already half-complete. The entire idea is just really, really stupid and when you compare this to CD Projekt RED, who removed DRM completely from The Witcher 2, this is a selfish and infuriating move. 

Don't like deleting saves? So don't. This feature isn't going to stop corruption of save files or any accidental data loss, all it does is take away a 'delete' button. It's remoing functionality and still charging the same price to those who buy it. It's not a matter of why people delete their saved games, it's the fact that they do, and whatever their reasoning, they deserve to be able to.
#23 Posted by Galaxian (34 posts) -

@The_Nubster: I also like starting from scratch and progressing through the game as that sense of achievement is what gaming is all about but once I've unlocked everything I wouldn't delete my save game so I can do it all over again. I don't see it's an issue for anyone buying this game new that plans to keep the game. We're purely talking used games sales and trade in value will be potentially affected by this. I don't support used games because I want the money go to the poeple involved in bringing the product to market and not just the game stores.

If you're interested in buying and playing this game then just wait a couple of months and I'm sure the price will drop dramatically for a new copy. As I said earlier either this kind of thing will be be adopted going forward or Capcom have realised their mistake and will never do it again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.