Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Getting back into RESIDENT EVIL. List of best versions?

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lotus_Flower

Hello,

So, I have very fond memories of this series but I've only completed REmake (GC), Resident Evil 2 (N64), Resident Evil 4 (GC). I've played RE3 and RE:CV but I never beat either due to different circumstances. In the latter case, I believe I made it to the end of Claire's part of the story but insufficient ammo made it so that I couldn't progress any further, unfortunately...

I'm hoping to play the series again as I've been thinking back to the classic, survival horror titles (before the series was changed drastically with RE4). The atmosphere, the tank controls -- it was all so great; much preferable to RE4 (good game, but it's not what I want in a Resident Evil title).

So, how should I go about it?

REmake - Wii re-release? Or...?

Resident Evil 2 - PSN re-release or GC?

Resident Evil 3 - PSN re-release or GC?

Resident Evil: CV - PSN re-release or GC?

Thanks for the help!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By handlas

RE remake and RE Zero because I love the old style RE games but with those nice graphics. Gamecube or Wii.

I'm playing them both now. Gonna do RE Zero first and then RE remake with Jill and then Chris probably

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehexeditor

Resident Evil Zero (GC if you have it, otherwise Wii) 
    Resident Evil (GC or Wii)
    Resident Evil 2 (PSN)
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PSN)
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica HD (PSN) 

optional:
    Resident Evil Outbreak 
    Resident Evil Outbreak File 2

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lotus_Flower

I was wondering which version is better, though... for instance, I've heard that the Gamecube versions have anti-aliasing and better background textures or something along those lines? Is this true? Does this mean I should opt for the GC versions over the PSN re-releases?

BUT...apparently, the PSN re-release of Resident Evil: Code Veronica has improved (dynamic) lighting, which I'm assuming the GC does not have. See below:

No Caption Provided
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By jimi

I like the original graphics, to a newcomer it probably won't be the best options but I love old pixel-y games. So my vote goes to the psn releases.

In regards to CV afaik there isn't much difference between the GC and PSN versions. You could probably pick up the GC one for a lot cheaper though.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By handlas

Well I never played RE 2 or 3 on gamecube. I have 2 on PSN. Looks as good as PS1 game in HD can look I guess. Which is pretty damn bad. RE CV looks pretty nice. The dialogue is horrendous but obviously thats not gonna change.

You ever play RE Zero? Think its a really good game and overlooked by many. RE CV is probably my least favorite.

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lotus_Flower

Reall@handlas said:

Well I never played RE 2 or 3 on gamecube. I have 2 on PSN. Looks as good as PS1 game in HD can look I guess. Which is pretty damn bad. RE CV looks pretty nice. The dialogue is horrendous but obviously thats not gonna change.

You ever play RE Zero? Think its a really good game and overlooked by many. RE CV is probably my least favorite.

Really? While I never finished it, I remember the atmosphere and the setting in CV being really quite superb. I still remember those Bandersnatches, too. So scary.

And no, I have not played RE: Zero. I was thinking about picking up the Wii re-release since I imagine it is easier to a acquire than the GC version. I just don't want to end up with a version that is 'downgraded' in any way...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handlas

also you might think about price. Perhaps the games are cheaper on PSN than if you try to order them somewhere. I just ordered RE Zero and RE Remake for Gamecube but I wanted to ensure I got the boxes and hopefully the instruction bookets as well. Ended up spending about 40 bucks for em both which is probably more than I should of.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

@Lotus_Flower said:

Reall@handlas said:

Really? While I never finished it, I remember the atmosphere and the setting in CV being really quite superb. I still remember those Bandersnatches, too. So scary.

And no, I have not played RE: Zero. I was thinking about picking up the Wii re-release since I imagine it is easier to a acquire than the GC version. I just don't want to end up with a version that is 'downgraded' in any way...

Someone told me the Wii versions do look better. 480p or something. So if you get those you are probably better off getting the Wii versions.

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lotus_Flower

@handlas said:

@Lotus_Flower said:

Reall@handlas said:

Someone told me the Wii versions do look better. 480p or something. So if you get those you are probably better off getting the Wii versions.

Yeah, it's tricky... because RE4 and RECV just got re-released in HD on the PSN. As the image I post above demonstrates, RECV has improved lighting. So I think I'll go for the PSN version for CV.

I'll get the Wii versions of REmake and RE: Zero... that seems like the best option, as there are no superior versions.

However, with regards to the others, I'm not sure. How do RE2 and RE3 look on the PSN? Are they also in HD? Do the Wii re-releases look better (if so, how can that be? If the Wii versions are limited to 480p, and the PSN versions are HD, then wouldn't the latter versions be the superior versions? Unless, of course, the latter versions are actually not in HD).

Any further clarification on these matters would be appreciated.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas

I'm pretty sure the PSN ones are in HD. Anyone else know? But you know you are HDing ugly PS1 graphics so its not like it looks all that great. I don't think there are any smoothing filters or anything. The games are great of course tho so I'd say it's worth it. RE2 will always be my favorite RE game.

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lotus_Flower

Right. So is it better to get RE2 and RE3 in 480p (the Wii versions) or in 1080p (the PSN versions, presumably)?

Or should I just get the old PS1 games from a gaming shop and run them on my PS3? :P

Lotus_Flower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lotus_Flower

Shoot. This thread was moved to a dead board... it was receiving more replies where it was originally posted.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

while the original RE had some of the best scary moments in gaming history (stupid dogs jumping through windows!).. I actually like the gamecube remake alot more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.