Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

REboot & New Producer For Resident Evil 6?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Resident Evil 5's producer Jun Takeuchi has expressed his wish to see the series rebooted after completing his work on Resident Evil Dark Chronicles on Wii.

During a Q & A session at Comic Con this week, Takeuchi suggested there would be some major changes in the game next time around. He also suggested few want to be responsible for the risk involved in doing so - There might be a completely different producer.

[Kawata and I] are playing blackjack to see who has the responsibility of next episode of series. It doesn't appear either of us is going to be in charge. I can't say much at this time.
     - Jun Takeuchi

I think it's Ono, : / Capcom must have a lot more faith in him now after earlier failures. But does SF4's success mean he's the right man, or even a good candidate for the role of producer on a RE game :?

I would much rather like to see a young designer with fresh ideas given the opportunity to work on something so great. A young designer would have little fear in contrast despite the tough task at hand. Capcom should get some of their young designers to make design proposals and pick the best. The chosen designer could be supervised by notable seniors throughout the whole design process.

Thanks to IGN.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

You said REboot.  I thought of the TV show.  I'm currently disappointed.  lol

As for this thread...of COURSE there will be major changes.  They see how well Gears of War sells, so they'll be turning it into Gears of Evil.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Sooperspy

I would love to see an old style Resident Evil on next gen.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

I haven't played it yet, but isn't 5 supposed to tie up the millions of lose ends in the RE series? If that is so then a reboot is really the only way to keep making money from Resident Evil.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By clubsandwich
    @Redbullet685 said:
    " I would love to see an old style Resident Evil on next gen. "
    Me too, too bad this won't ever happen :(

@jonnyboy said:
    " I haven't played it yet, but isn't 5 supposed to tie up the millions of lose ends in the RE series? If that is so then a reboot is really the only way to keep making money from Resident Evil. "

Well you said it, 5 was supposed to tie up everything, but it didn't, it failed miserably, it sucked so bad that it made me homosexual.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By jonnyboy
    @clubsandwich: Ok, um, don't really know if I fancy that.
    alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By alsnuts2

RE5 was so bland and uninteresting.

I want to go back to the good old days in the mansion.  Just the atmosphere of that place felt eerie, its hard to explain, but its like you could almost smell what the air must have been like in that old mansion.  The dated wall paper and flooring was just creepy.

I love Co-op, but that was just the last straw for me, not only are you playing the role of a machine gun toting powerlifter army badass, but now you have backup?  I want to look at a hallway and feel nervous again... is that too much to ask?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Let's not turn this thread into another RE5 hate-fest, shall we? That's not the main topic of discussion.

Another Reboot of the series seems obvious, considering the way RE5's plot was wrapped up. However, I doubt we will see any hint of RE6 for a long time, and even then it will go through like 4 iterations before we get an actual game. My second biggest problem with RE5 (the biggest being the lack of Merchant) is the lack of creepy atmosphere. At least RE4 had a sense of ominous gloom throughout. I would like to see them try to make the series scary again.

@Redbullet685
    said:

" I would love to see an old style Resident Evil on next gen. "
    Probably will never happen, unless Capcom has the willingness to risk money on a new classic-style RE game at this point in time. However, I could see them doing something for XBLA and PSN. Maybe a REmake of 2? That seems to be the logical progression.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @jakob187 said:
    "As for this thread...of COURSE there will be major changes.  They see how well Gears of War sells, so they'll be turning it into Gears of Evil. "
    Eh, RE5's sales are on par with the GoW franchise, around the 4-5 million mark.

As for another REmake not making sense on disc but making sense on XBLA/PSN... Derp.
    alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By alsnuts2

No we shant make it a RE5 hate fest and thank you for refocusing the thread by making the exact same points about the direction of the series that I did.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Ahh...they've lost me, i stopped liking the series at 4 and they've lost me pretty much since then when it comes to resident evil.
    *caresses his gamecube copies of resident 0-nemesis he pain stakingly tracked down for a decent price* i love you yes i do! *turns his nose up at resident evil 4 and 5*

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    "As for this thread...of COURSE there will be major changes.  They see how well Gears of War sells, so they'll be turning it into Gears of Evil. "
    Eh, RE5's sales are on par with the GoW franchise, around the 4-5 million mark.As for another REmake not making sense on disc but making sense on XBLA/PSN... Derp. "
    That's probably because RE5 was more along the lines of GoW than it was RE.  = D
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

...It was just like 4 and that came about 2 years before GoW...

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThomasP

I'm happy they are going to change things up. I think it's the right decision, though I doubt it will reach the level of appraisal that RE4 received. I'm sure it will cause a ruckus on forums all over the web.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By lightsoda

Wouldn't mind seeing the mansion again, and the woods outside which you get a brief look at in the opening to RE1, and more puzzles please.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By demonbear

I think the series needs to keep the current engine, but needcs to go back to what it was, less tentacles, more classic zimbie action in confined space.

For example if they made RE1 with the modern engine, i'd buy it for sure.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By delta_ass

They should look to Dead Space, that game's great.

Dahlia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Dahlia
    @Delta_Ass said:

" They should look to Dead Space, that game's great. "

Sure is, Dead Space feels like what RE5 should have been. (Gameplay wise, not saying the next RE should be in space)

@demonbear
    said:

" I think the series needs to keep the current engine, but needcs to go back to what it was, less tentacles, more classic zimbie action in confined space.For example if they made RE1 with the modern engine, i'd buy it for sure. "

Even if the decided to port RE1 using the new engine, the levels, boss encounters and general pacing would all have to be re-designed, or else the game would turn out to be either too easy or too short.  

A reboot in the engine seen below would be a dream come true, that way they'd be able to keep the charm and feel of the originals, without turning it into a new game completely.   

Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
    AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DEFINITELY wouldn't mind A REBOOT. The entire Resident Evil saga HAS JUST gotten so FUCKIN CONVOLUTED and insane that they MIGHT AS well purge IT AND get back to WHAT IT USED to be all about: making ME JUMP out of my FUCKIN PANTS in terror.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MeierTheRed

Damn this topic is old.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thegoldencat7

Whose been necroposting?
    turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By turbo_toaster

Like a broken record I'll say again; I miss the macabre, slow terror of the first few RE's. 4 was fun as a game in general, 5 I had zero interest in because it became so laughably terrible story-wise I couldn't get into it. 

Maybe I'm alone here but I LOVED the pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles. Ah, nostalgia.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee
    @Turbo_Toaster said:
    " Maybe I'm alone here but I LOVED the pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles. Ah, nostalgia. "

No Caption Provided
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Jazz

I thought Linkyshinks had returned there for a second....I think there's something in Revelations about his return.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Turbo_Toaster said:

" Like a broken record I'll say again; I miss the macabre, slow terror of the first few RE's. 4 was fun as a game in general, 5 I had zero interest in because it became so laughably terrible story-wise I couldn't get into it.  Maybe I'm alone here but I LOVED the pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles. Ah, nostalgia. "

Absolutely. I played and enjoyed 4, but it was just nowhere near the amount of awesome fun I had in RE1 and 2. 

Having that dude randomly smashing through a wall and chasing you (was it Nemesis?) throughout RE2 was terrifying. Actually, I got a similar feeling from those monsters that you had to stare at for them not to attack you in Metro 2033.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee
    @Khann said:
    " @Turbo_Toaster said:

" Like a broken record I'll say again; I miss the macabre, slow terror of the first few RE's. 4 was fun as a game in general, 5 I had zero interest in because it became so laughably terrible story-wise I couldn't get into it.  Maybe I'm alone here but I LOVED the pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles. Ah, nostalgia. "

Absolutely. I played and enjoyed 4, but it was just nowhere near the amount of awesome fun I had in RE1 and 2. 

Having that dude randomly smashing through a wall and chasing you (was it Nemesis?) throughout RE2 was terrifying. Actually, I got a similar feeling from those monsters that you had to stare at for them not to attack you in Metro 2033. "
    The one with or without tentacles? The tough night club bouncer guy in the trench coat was Mr X. Yeah he gave me plenty of jumps back in the day. Especially when you collect the cog from that painting for him to smash through, you beat him, make your way outside and back to the main hall only for him to smash yet another wall. @.@ 

Seriously, guy was probably the Koolaid man under that coat.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:
    " @Khann said:
    " @Turbo_Toaster said:

Having that dude randomly smashing through a wall and chasing you (was it Nemesis?) throughout RE2 was terrifying. Actually, I got a similar feeling from those monsters that you had to stare at for them not to attack you in Metro 2033. "
    The one with or without tentacles? The tough night club bouncer guy in the trench coat was Mr X. Yeah he gave me plenty of jumps back in the day. Especially when you collect the cog from that painting for him to smash through, you beat him, make your way outside and back to the main hall only for him to smash yet another wall. @.@  Seriously, guy was probably the Koolaid man under that coat. "
    Ah yep, Mr. X is the one I was thinking about. He (along with 90% of everything else in the game) made me walk through every single corridor at a ridiculously slow pace.

Oh, and remember when lickers were actually scary and a problem to deal with? Yeah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.