Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Resident Evil 1.5 WIP now available

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Link

A group has been working on the "Resident Evil 1.5" game that has been mentioned on the podcast occasionally and they just released an ISO version of the playable game for people to check out and maybe help complete. Seems pretty cool, I'll be checking this out later when I get home assuming someone posts a viable link in the thread I linked to.

Nothing like a piece of Resident Evil history in light of how the series has declined over the past 4-5 years.

Looks like there's a link to the game itself on their main site here. Downloaded and ran through the AV treadmill, seems safe enough.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Finally!

This was the best era for RE. 2 and 3 are easily my favorites and more of that is great!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Thanks for posting this. DLing right now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

how the series has declined over the past 4-5 years.

When did RE5 come out? That was a fantastic game.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

And opinions vary, but the general consensus, whether you liked it or not (I did, in spite of itself), RE5 was a pretty substantial departure from the series, for better or worse, depending, again, on who you ask.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oh, wow. I'd heard about the scrapped version of RE2, but I didn't know that people actually had enough to work with to get it up and going.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

What?!

Downloading, though knowing my luck it probably won't work >_>

edit: Well, shit. As expected I don't know what I'm doing. The zip file gave me 2 files that for some reason defaulted to be opened with VLC, and I downloaded this PS1 emulator but I don't know what in the Hell to do with that and blaaaargh my brain is melting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

And opinions vary, but the general consensus, whether you liked it or not (I did, in spite of itself), RE5 was a pretty substantial departure from the series, for better or worse, depending, again, on who you ask.

Do you mean that RE5 heavily changed from the earlier games, without much of a hint of horror (unlike RE4, which had at least a little hint of horror in it), or that RE5 wasn't generally received very well? Because I would agree with you on the former but on the latter, most people seemed to have enjoyed RE5 at least somewhat.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fattony12000

There is some crazy glitchy shit in there, but the scenario seems cool. The music is different and the lady is super orange. For the life of me I can't figure how the inventory is supposed to work, but you can cycle through some pretty interesting items in there.

I managed to have an infinitely firing invisible silent 9mm handgun that kept me locked in the firing stance whilst I slid around the floor, clipping through walls. They should have kept that in.

Loading Video...

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx said:

@believer258 said:

Do you mean that RE5 heavily changed from the earlier games, without much of a hint of horror (unlike RE4, which had at least a little hint of horror in it), or that RE5 wasn't generally received very well? Because I would agree with you on the former but on the latter, most people seemed to have enjoyed RE5 at least somewhat.

Yeah, just in that it was a dramatic change from RE4 and previous games in the series. A lot of people liked it, but even most people I've talked to that liked it think RE4 is kind of the pinnacle of the series and 5 is a lesser title.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PolygonSlayer

This is amazing! Debug menu is 'Select' and you can teleport to different rooms. Also while in the menu, pressing shift on an item lets you use L and R to spawn in an item. For guns, press 'Triangle' to increase ammo.
    Played around with this for an hour, as an RE fan this is Xmas :D It is a glitchy, barely playable mess though, but a gem for historical reasons :)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Yeah, I DL'ed it and messed with it a bit earlier today. It's not exactly playable, but it serves as a promising herald of things to come, especially since this build is apparently pretty outdated. In any case, if this game ever comes out in a playable and coherent form I don't care what kind of warlock devilry was used to make it that way. I will play it. And probably write about it. And then say "Well, it's clear why they scrapped this version"/"Well, it's entirely unclear why they scrapped this version".

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm trying this out as my favorite in the series is easily RE2.

I'm a bit weird as it relates to RE5, I actually really liked it. It was certainly something different but I had a good time with it. Now for the best part, I didn't like RE4 all that much. It was "alright" but it just didn't hold my interest.

I remember looking at a GamePro magazine in '97 when the cover story was RE2 and it was the unreleased/scrapped version so finally getting to play that all these years later is cool. I now wonder what 14 year old me would have thought if this one.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Very cool to finally see this. I remember hearing about this as a kid, when I picked up RE2. Glad to finally see what may have been.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I'm no expert but something seems wrong.

NOTHING'S WRONG. MOVE ALONG CITIZEN.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: PM me if you want me to help you set it up.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@cannonballbam: Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, but I think I'm going to wait till the thing is fully finished before I dive in.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is such an exciting release! Everyone who is interested needs to give this a try it's such a blast! I know it's a very buggy mess but I am still surprised at how much is contained in this release. I hope that the people working on this will be able to make some semblance of a playable game from what is here, it seems within the realm of possibility considering what already seems to be present in the build.

Just a tip to people trying to play, use a savestate (usually the F1 key or one of the F keys) and then if the thing crashes or freezes just load the savestate (F3 for me) and then use select to go to the debug menu and select a new room to explore. And it took me a while to discover this but if you press the triangle button while in the room select debug screen you cycle through the different areas of the game (police station, sewer, warehouse, lab).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.