Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Thoughts on Resident Evil Combat

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Listening to Zero punctuations review of silent hill home comming.

Zero punctuation puts it the best about combat in a SURVIVAL horror game..."Haunted towns are affected by the economic crisis too and they can't afford to leave many bullets around but you know what? thats a good thing survival horror combat is supposed to be hectic pannicy and often not worth it, if im not dreading every monster encounter then its not horror is it? its just setting up an unpaid pest control buisness.”

RE4 isn't like this but i dreaded RE4 Wii's combat because it was just that hard, maybe i was playing it wrong but i had such a horrible time with the game *i eventually beat the PC version with a trainer* but it was insane i would get EVERY and I mean EVERY last scrap of ammo, herbs...ect every thing i could get inbetween the start of the game and the time you leave the small little cabin when you first meat spanish dude and you have to fight your way through that valley.

I would upgrade/buy what i needed dark cloakity mccloak guy (who seemingly was infected like the rest but didn't wanna kill me and that was never explained that i know of) and i would proceed to fight my way through the valley with its 500 or so it seemed enemies i wouldn't miss a single headshot i wouldn't miss a single stick of dynomite (since though i hate the wii the Wii mote gave amazing accuracy) but seemingly i would all ways run out of ammo, get killed or have like 2 bullets left, I have since been told i can run away but seriously some of these freaks were relentless..infact one time i got every pickupable item in the place while avoiding every enemy only to get near the end and be stuck being 20 spanish weirdo villagers and 10 spanish weirdo villagers with no where to go.

So with no choice but to fight my way through and then ending up with about 10 pistol ammo left and like 1 shotgun or whatever weapon I had at the time id meet mc dark cloakity villager guy that didn't like me, then proceed out his house to find my first chain saw dude and be killed because i had not enough ammo to take him down. I didn't dread enemy encounters cause i was scared of them but that they were so freaking hard half the time I had no choice in running away in this game specially If I wanted ammo or freaking gold

RE5 seems to be different combat seems to be easy from nearly every single trailer, gameplay segment and live feed of gameplay i've seen specially in coop modes....I weep for Resident evil...I bought RE4 wii never finished it, sold it (along with the wii) pirated RE4 pc used a trainer, and i have no urge whatso ever to pick up RE5 yet every game before these two I religiously searched for in their gamecube incarnations...Oh well now im just bitching.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Listening to Zero punctuations review of silent hill home comming.

Zero punctuation puts it the best about combat in a SURVIVAL horror game..."Haunted towns are affected by the economic crisis too and they can't afford to leave many bullets around but you know what? thats a good thing survival horror combat is supposed to be hectic pannicy and often not worth it, if im not dreading every monster encounter then its not horror is it? its just setting up an unpaid pest control buisness.”

RE4 isn't like this but i dreaded RE4 Wii's combat because it was just that hard, maybe i was playing it wrong but i had such a horrible time with the game *i eventually beat the PC version with a trainer* but it was insane i would get EVERY and I mean EVERY last scrap of ammo, herbs...ect every thing i could get inbetween the start of the game and the time you leave the small little cabin when you first meat spanish dude and you have to fight your way through that valley.

I would upgrade/buy what i needed dark cloakity mccloak guy (who seemingly was infected like the rest but didn't wanna kill me and that was never explained that i know of) and i would proceed to fight my way through the valley with its 500 or so it seemed enemies i wouldn't miss a single headshot i wouldn't miss a single stick of dynomite (since though i hate the wii the Wii mote gave amazing accuracy) but seemingly i would all ways run out of ammo, get killed or have like 2 bullets left, I have since been told i can run away but seriously some of these freaks were relentless..infact one time i got every pickupable item in the place while avoiding every enemy only to get near the end and be stuck being 20 spanish weirdo villagers and 10 spanish weirdo villagers with no where to go.

So with no choice but to fight my way through and then ending up with about 10 pistol ammo left and like 1 shotgun or whatever weapon I had at the time id meet mc dark cloakity villager guy that didn't like me, then proceed out his house to find my first chain saw dude and be killed because i had not enough ammo to take him down. I didn't dread enemy encounters cause i was scared of them but that they were so freaking hard half the time I had no choice in running away in this game specially If I wanted ammo or freaking gold

RE5 seems to be different combat seems to be easy from nearly every single trailer, gameplay segment and live feed of gameplay i've seen specially in coop modes....I weep for Resident evil...I bought RE4 wii never finished it, sold it (along with the wii) pirated RE4 pc used a trainer, and i have no urge whatso ever to pick up RE5 yet every game before these two I religiously searched for in their gamecube incarnations...Oh well now im just bitching.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Moved it just for you MB!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

RE4's combat is a walk in the park. The Wii controls made it even more easy, making you practically invincible. On  top of that, you had always waay more ammo than you could ever spend. Are you sure you played the same game..?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By the8bitNacho

I honestly think the hate being thrown at Resident Evil 5 is being considerably overdramatized and/or blown out of proportion.  I didn't have a problem with the combat at all, and regardless of the lack of horror elements, the game was fun.  Some people's standards are set way too high.

I had a lot of fun with the game, and it probably has one of the best stories in the series so far (RE2 still holds the torch though).

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Yes I played the same game and i have alot of people i know of that agree with me it was inanely hard. Not ninja gaiden hard but hard, Maybe you played the gamecube version or ps2 of which i hear were far easier then the Wii version for some odd reason, Mysteriously every one that says RE 4 is easy never show me gameplay of it being easy.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

RE4 Wii in hard mode, was hard, it seemed to step up the AI significantly, they should have done that in the default difficulty though.

If I have any criticisms already only having played a little so far, it's that it's too easy. The NPC AI should fit perfectly with both CoOp and single play, and the fact it seems not too is disappointing. There are also idiotic CoOp problems. and the control issues.

Games of this type should be tough, they should instill some fear in you because of the difficulty alone. Difficulty should ramp up significantly, constantly adding to the pressure on the player. I felt that in 4. (but wished it was longer). My fear is that the only real difficulty the game poses is due to the controls, more so than NPC AI,..

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    Kombat said:
    "I honestly think the hate being thrown at Resident Evil 5 is being considerably overdramatized and/or blown out of proportion.  I didn't have a problem with the combat at all, and regardless of the lack of horror elements, the game was fun.  Some people's standards are set way too high.I had a lot of fun with the game, and it probably has one of the best stories in the series so far (RE2 still holds the torch though)."
    But it's often those who defend the game who blow it out of proportion. I say I think the controls are bad, and they assume I hate the game. I don't. I really enjoy playing it, I just think the controls could have been much better.(What I do hate is the single player mode. They should have kept Sheva and the real-time inventory out of it. Those were for co-op, and if they can't implement them into SP in a good way, they shouldn't do it at all.)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Yes I played the same game and i have alot of people i know of that agree with me it was inanely hard. Not ninja gaiden hard but hard, Maybe you played the gamecube version or ps2 of which i hear were far easier then the Wii version
    I played the GCN and the Wii version. The Wii version is unbelievably easy with the new aiming. I wonder what you were doing wrong? Aim for the head or the legs, kick, then knife. Did you perhaps never use the knife? It's very powerful. (And also much more comfortable to use in the Wii version)

There are so many "Knife Only" and "Handgun Only" runs of the game because combat is so easy.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Kratos81
    Icemael said:
    "Kombat said:
    "I honestly think the hate being thrown at Resident Evil 5 is being considerably overdramatized and/or blown out of proportion.  I didn't have a problem with the combat at all, and regardless of the lack of horror elements, the game was fun.  Some people's standards are set way too high.I had a lot of fun with the game, and it probably has one of the best stories in the series so far (RE2 still holds the torch though)."
    But it's often those who defend the game who blow it out of proportion. I say I think the controls are bad, and they assume I hate the game. I don't. I really enjoy playing it, I just think the controls could have been much better.(What I do hate is the single player mode. They should have kept Sheva and the real-time inventory out of it. Those were for co-op, and if they can't implement them into SP in a good way, they shouldn't do it at all.)
    "
    Agreed. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.