We're Probably Heading to China for Resident Evil 6

• 118 results
Posted by patrickklepek (6019 posts) -
Hey, Capcom, if you feel like making a remake of Resident Evil 2, I'm 100% behind you.

Resident Evil 6 ranks as one of Capcom’s worst kept secrets.

Whatever criticism Resident Evil 5 had to ride out related to its presentations of race and design decisions, the game sold just fine, which means Resident Evil 6 is on the way...eventually.

PlayStation focused site The Silent Chief uncovered two pieces of recent evidence regarding it, including actress Milla Jovovich getting a humorous denial from Capcom employees on the set of the latest film, Resident Evil: Retribution, and a voice actress listing her work on the project.

Actress Wendy Mok’s EWPACTS profile includes her having contributed to the recently resurrected True Crime Hong Kong, Dead Island, and worked on Resident Evil 6 as a “Chinese villager/zombie.”

What “Chinese villager/zombie” means for Resident Evil 6 remains to be seen. Resident Evil as a series started moving away from zombies with Resident Evil 4, but perhaps we’ll see a return to form with the next game. I wouldn’t mind seeing Resident Evil make a return to its scarier roots. [insert crimson head flashback]

Or they could just release the long-cancelled Resident Evil 1.5 already. Man.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6019 posts) -
Hey, Capcom, if you feel like making a remake of Resident Evil 2, I'm 100% behind you.

Resident Evil 6 ranks as one of Capcom’s worst kept secrets.

Whatever criticism Resident Evil 5 had to ride out related to its presentations of race and design decisions, the game sold just fine, which means Resident Evil 6 is on the way...eventually.

PlayStation focused site The Silent Chief uncovered two pieces of recent evidence regarding it, including actress Milla Jovovich getting a humorous denial from Capcom employees on the set of the latest film, Resident Evil: Retribution, and a voice actress listing her work on the project.

Actress Wendy Mok’s EWPACTS profile includes her having contributed to the recently resurrected True Crime Hong Kong, Dead Island, and worked on Resident Evil 6 as a “Chinese villager/zombie.”

What “Chinese villager/zombie” means for Resident Evil 6 remains to be seen. Resident Evil as a series started moving away from zombies with Resident Evil 4, but perhaps we’ll see a return to form with the next game. I wouldn’t mind seeing Resident Evil make a return to its scarier roots. [insert crimson head flashback]

Or they could just release the long-cancelled Resident Evil 1.5 already. Man.

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

Great, I love RE.

#3 Posted by Freaksaus (36 posts) -

For a moment I thought GiantBomb was going to China to watch RE6.

#4 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Great!

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

and the racism continues...

#6 Posted by zDarkHerald (67 posts) -

I would like to see them do something fresh with the series for 6 rather than just copying the structure of 4 again.

#7 Edited by Crunchman (396 posts) -

This is what's on the cover of this month's issue of Game Informer, isn't it? IT HAS TO BE!

#8 Posted by snap (31 posts) -

Can't wait. I actually hope they keep the tank controls, they're just part of the series and getting rid of them would mean that Capcom wants to make it even more like and other third person shooter. However, I really hope PlayStation-Move controls are part of the package - the Wii-Mote was amazing in RE4 and playing RE5 with Move was a great experience as well.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Now that I think about it, I almost wish that fake Tokyo Game Show '11 Resident Evil 6 trailer was true. The outbreak becomes so massive that it swallows the entire world. Regardless, I am super interested in what Capcom is doing with 6. 4 was amazing, 5 was alright, but stumbled a bit, especially with the later story elements, "CHRRRIIIISSSS!", and... boulder... punching. Please, no boulder punching. And please, just retcon 5 and make it so it was a Wesker clone they destroyed.

#10 Edited by SomeJerk (3362 posts) -

Hell yea. I liked RE5 despite the controls, still a f i n e fine game.

Just wonder what in the world 6 is going to cover and when it will take place. As long as there's co-op!

#11 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

I hope you're able to move and shoot at the same time in this one.

#12 Posted by HadesTimes (826 posts) -

That would be crazy.

#13 Posted by Jimjamjaha (19 posts) -

Judging by the screenshot I take it you meant 2 if so then I agree whole heartedly.

#14 Posted by mbr2 (570 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

Is this a novelty account or just accidental irony? :D

#15 Edited by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

I loved Resident Evil 5.

Dude, four player RE. You play as Chris, Claire, Jill and Leon.

I got to add that I love that Japan is not afraid to slap a big number on the franchise. Western series always try to avoid it to make their games appear newer and fresher, but the addition of a 6 or a 13 on a game just reminds me of its relevance as a part of gaming history. I'd rather Silent Hill Downpour was called Silent Hill 8, I'd rather the lineage was clear rather than avoided.

Final Fantasy has been around almost 25 years. Celebrate that fact, don't come up with crazy subtitles.

#16 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I really hope they think the next one through. Resident Evil 5 disappoints me to no end.  It sure looked pretty.... and thats just about all the good things I can say about that game.

#17 Posted by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

Why? Cause there's gonna be Chinese not-zombies there?

#18 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2115 posts) -

Only a true racist would make a news story about another Resident Evil. Thanks Patrick, you racist!

On a more serious note, I am excited for this game, I didn't love RE5 due to it just being kind of bland, and the co-op was cool, but playing that game alone was kind of a bummer. I really hope they do some new stuff in RE6, but kind of pull the story back to the days where the games were actually creepy in 1,2 and 3; rather than more fantastical in 4 and 5.

#19 Posted by Kael (32 posts) -

First Warcraft goes to China with Mists of Pandaria, then Assassin's Creed Revelations' epilogue movie "Embers" shows Ezio almost literally passing the torch to a new Chinese assassin who then goes back to China to reestablish the brotherhood there, and now there's a good chance Resident Evil is going to China next, too! 2012 is already looking to be a China-themed year, isn't it? I'm all for it. :D

#20 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

Why would anyone think RE is racist?

#21 Posted by N2NOther (83 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 is the only main story RE game I couldn't be arsed to finish. That game was boring and controlled terribly. I am hopeful that 6 will turn it around.

#22 Posted by gramblor (36 posts) -

Next to all of my dreams not coming true, Resident Evil 5 was the biggest disappointment of my life.

However, I remain reservedly interested in RE 6.

#23 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

Excited for this game. I still need to finish RE5 =/

Sooo many games out right now.

#24 Posted by Monk (181 posts) -

It makes me happy that Patrick mentioned Crimson Heads.

#25 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

I think a game made by a Japanese company about killing Chinese people is much more offensive than what they did with RE5, specifically because of their history. It's like a German developer making a game about killing Jewish zombies. It's inappropriate.

#26 Posted by Vortextk (421 posts) -

I went to click that picture to see it in full resolution, it didn't get any bigger, then realized oh my god that might be or be close to full resolution.

#27 Posted by leejunfan83 (1004 posts) -

no thanks the series fell off after 2 Japan's fall from grace is sad to see Metal Gear Final Fantasy Resident Evil and Street Fighter need to be killed off

#28 Posted by Just_Endless (26 posts) -

@Kael: If the next AC game is not in the present, or comes out post-2012, they will have missed the fictional deadline they set for themselves.

#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

颜色我兴奋

#30 Posted by MormonWarrior (2640 posts) -

@leejunfan83 said:

no thanks the series fell off after 2 Japan's fall from grace is sad to see Metal Gear Final Fantasy Resident Evil and Street Fighter need to be killed off

I only started liking RE with RE4 and thought RE5 was pretty good...not the masterpiece 4 was but I found the other games boring and unplayable. MGS4 was my favorite gameplay-wise and I've enjoyed each installment more than the last, and Super Street Fighter IV is the most I've liked a Street Fighter game. I'd only agree on Final Fantasy - the last one I really loved was IX. X was good but not really my thing and more so with XII. XIII just looks like a mess.

#31 Posted by NegativeCero (3026 posts) -

Zombie Pandas. Make it happen.

#32 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

The important question is, by what degree will they amplify the amount of muscles in this game.

#33 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

So how long before Capcom realizes killing only Asians in China is racist and put white and black people in it?

#34 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

@AwesomeAquaman said:

Because the first two acts of RE4 depict Spaniards as continuing to live in the Dark Ages, and RE5 literally has spear-shaking Africans.

#35 Edited by Shaka999 (494 posts) -

I thought they were going to reboot the franchise?

#36 Posted by AuthenticM (3790 posts) -

I want REmake 2, goddamnit!

#37 Posted by Curufinwe (1267 posts) -

Brad and Vinny should play REmake for the next ER.

#38 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Curufinwe said:

Wouldn't be a very long Endurance Run.

#39 Posted by gamma_male (69 posts) -

@AwesomeAquaman: RE5's depiction of Africans as mindless savages (in one scene ravaging a white women) didn't go down well. More a lack of cultural sensitivity than out and out racism but still, a global company should probably try to be a bit more careful.

#40 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

They killed whites and blacks. Now it's time to kill some asians.

#41 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

@Alexandruxx said:

They killed whites and blacks. Now it's time to kill some asians.

Capcom hates everybody! No more racial specific discrimination! Yay!

#42 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I look forward to the streams of douche bags crying about racism.

I also look forward to not playing RE6 because these games are antiquated junk and need to die.

#43 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -

It's now that I realize I haven't enjoyed a Resident Evil game since 3, 4 was fun but superficially so. The story for the first was such a slow, incremental kind of disturbing I've just come to find the new ones to be incredibly silly. Especially whatever the fuck it was they did to Wesker. Ugh.

RE is serious business in my household. *Sigh*

#44 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Use characters that haven't been given much attention (Rebecca Chambers and Barry Burton come to mind), add zombies to bring back some element of horror, remove forced co-op (no AI partner during solo play). 

They really don't need to do much for this to have a chance, the problem is that Capcom is usually too busy ignoring criticism or running off in the complete opposite direction.

#45 Posted by Superkenon (1487 posts) -

@gamma_male said:

@AwesomeAquaman: RE5's depiction of Africans as mindless savages (in one scene ravaging a white women) didn't go down well. More a lack of cultural sensitivity than out and out racism but still, a global company should probably try to be a bit more careful.

Mindless savages indeed. You know, like zombies or something.

There wasn't anything in RE5 that wasn't in the games prior, especially RE4, so I always thought it was funny that it was controversial. I guess the real lesson for Capcom is to not set their games in locations where whites aren't the indigenous people.

#46 Posted by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -
@sissylion said:

@AwesomeAquaman said:

Because the first two acts of RE4 depict Spaniards as continuing to live in the Dark Ages, and RE5 literally has spear-shaking Africans.

But, there are still tribes in Africa and in other parts of the world that do wield spears and such whilst wearing tribal clothing and just generally acting like how you'd expect tribes would. So it's not really racist to make them seem that way, when some actually are. I guess actually shooting them may be a little, but people make it racist by saying so. There are loads of people who didn't think it was racist at all, myself included. News people just want to make a big deal out of a little thing and create dumb a controversy.

I personally think the whole racism thing is silly. I mean, MW3 has a level in Africa where you are shooting nothing BUT black people with not one white person in sight except for your squad, yet nobody complains about that? I really don't get it. I don't find it racist, but after completing that level, I couldn't help being reminded about RE5 so I don't understand why people say nothing about this, when it's the same situation? Oh well... It's just the internet I suppose.

Anyways, yay for RE6!
#47 Posted by metalgearstl (39 posts) -

I still dont get how people saw that as racist. It takes place in Africa...hence Africans are there. Not like it was a huge metropolis like city it was a shitty little village so of course they have spears and what not. Not like they had them eating from buckets of chicken and eating watermelon or any racial stereotypes they were just people that live in Africa. People like to scream 'racist!' at things even though they aren't and they weren't even upset by it to begin with. And if it upsets you that the black people in Africa were turned into zombies and you have to kill them...its a fucking video game...dont fucking play it then. Resident Evil 5 kinda killed my interest in the series though. I like the 4 and 5 style but that's not Resident Evil to me. Maybe keep that type of style going with the characters that are already involved and start a side series that plays more like the old ones and more survival and not run and gun. I don't like how everyone went from being a rookie cop or swat team type of dude and now they are almost super hero like. Give me some scared shit less dude with a gun with one clip and a green herb and let me try and survive.

#48 Posted by Curufinwe (1267 posts) -

@gamma_male said:

The infected villager who dragged the white woman away in that scene was not even black, as was infamously claimed by Eurogamer.

#49 Posted by Curufinwe (1267 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@Curufinwe said:

Wouldn't be a very long Endurance Run.

Maybe not, but it would be awesome. Vinny + Lisa Trevor would be magic.

#50 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

With any latent hostility between Japan & China, this might be a bad pick. Plus if a highly concentrated population of people (ie. China, India, etc.) got turned into zombies they'd probably run out of food quickly as the population would be easy pickings being so numerous. I will say that if the controls from the previous RE5 game is in this one, I'll definitely pass as it felt like moving a character was akin to trying to steer a towed Lincoln/Cadillac upside down over a field of boulders.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.