Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 22, 2002

A remake of the first game in the pre-eminent video game horror series, featuring a graphics overhaul, as well as several new gameplay features, environments, and unlockable modes that weren't included within the original version.

10 minutes of PS4 gameplay footage. Also hella screenshots.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

It's good to see some of the new alterations in action, specifically the analogue control scheme and the widescreen format. The analogue controls looks awful in motion, though, as shown in the Chris video. Very unnatural even, as if the character is about ready to lapse into a muscle spasm they're moving so fast. I was going to stick to OG tank controls anyway, so whatever.

I am happy to see that the screen panning isn't as jarring as I'd thought it would be. In fact it actually seems to progress rather seamlessly! I may just opt for that view instead then. And of course it goes without saying it is all looking gorgeous. Also, the pistol model definitely looks like it's been upgraded to resemble Jill's Samurai Edge, which is a neat touch!

EDIT: Super sexy screenshots!!

I, er... I never realised just how extended those crimson head claws were until now... O_O Bloody Edward Murderhands up there.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ikilledthedj

Jill's breasts move like a fucking DOA character now (1:30) All that ps4 power being out hard to work!

This is coming out in pc too right?

Edit: the panning seems a bit over used IMO like it needs to be in certain rooms or just used randomly. Seems how often you backtrack in this game I can see it annoying me. But I guess I'm just not used to it after all these years of static camera angels in that lovely mansion

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikilledthedj: Jill had breast physics in the original release, but yeah it does seem slightly more... pronounced in this version... And yes there will be a PC version. In fact there's even a PS3/360 version.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The panning looks kinda bad to me, but the I think the new controls make the game look much more playable to me as someone who has never played the pre-RE 4 style of Resident Evil. I might end up checking this out when it comes out, but I'm not completely sold on it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

These sure look nice!

I think I'm going to stick to the tank controls, though. The way Jill juked that zombie early in the video sort of shattered the tension. Immobility and vulnerability has always been a big point in the good RE games, even the more action-oriented RE4 understood that. I don't mind that the option is there, but I don't think I'll touch it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that looks fucking incredible. I didn't expect it to look that good or for the panning to work nearly that well. I agree with you that the analogue controls look really terrible, but at least we can still choose the right control scheme.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I had my GameCube hooked up to play this and that very day they announced they were doing this remastered edition. It was like a sign to wait for this bad boy and man I can't wait to jump into this game again. It's pretty unbelievable how much mileage they have gotten out of those backgrounds, like fuck those things look REALLY good. I think the camera panning looks totally fine and doing the tank controls is not an issue. The least impressive things are really the character models. They look fine (clearly much better than before) but haven't translated as well as those damn backgrounds. Anyway, I'm pretty excited to play this game again since it's probably in my top 3 of favorite resident evil games

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

The game looks great, but I can't shake the feeling that graphically-wise these ports lose something in the transition. The graphics are upgraded and more detailed, but they look plain when in high resolution, especially the character model. There is the absence of the graphical filter, that green shine, from the Gamecube and Wii versions. With the augment of definition the graphics are extra crisp, and they seem brighter and more defined than ever, but a Resident Evil game is meant to be dark and less defined, unsettling the player by that drab quality. In this new version that can be contravened with diminishing the brightness, but I don't believe it will feel as atmospheric as the Wii and Gamecube versions, although, it will certaintly look better in an HD television. ahah

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These sure look nice!

I think I'm going to stick to the tank controls, though. The way Jill juked that zombie early in the video sort of shattered the tension. Immobility and vulnerability has always been a big point in the good RE games, even the more action-oriented RE4 understood that. I don't mind that the option is there, but I don't think I'll touch it.

Yeah, that's definitely something to consider too. The remake was designed specifically around tank controls, so for them to add in analogue control may disrupt the balance a little. Though of course it's purely optional, allowing those who wish to stick with the classic controls if they so please, so no biggie!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@yummylee said:

@ikilledthedj: Jill had breast physics in the original release, but yeah it does seem slightly more... pronounced in this version...

man you really can't unnotice this. Sucks! :S

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust said:

The game looks great, but I can't shake the feeling that graphically-wise these ports lose something in the transition. The graphics are upgraded and more detailed, but they look plain when in high resolution, especially the character model. There is the absence of the graphical filter, that green shine, from the Gamecube and Wii versions. With the augment of definition the graphics are extra crisp, and they seem brighter and more defined than ever, but a Resident Evil game is meant to be dark and less defined, unsettling the player by that drab quality. In this new version that can be contravened with diminishing the brightness, but I don't believe it will feel as atmospheric as the Wii and Gamecube versions, although, it will certaintly look better in an HD television. ahah

Yeah, I get that. SD quality can of course add a certain... graininess to the look of a game, that while obviously objectively makes it look worse can benefit the atmosphere of a horror game in particular. I still really like the look of the HDification they've done all the same, but a filter of some kind to maybe add a little blur would have been a nice gesture.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave
    @yummylee said:

@ikilledthedj: Jill had breast physics in the original release, but yeah it does seem slightly more... pronounced in this version... And yes there will be a PC version. In fact there's even a PS3/360 version.

Silly Resident Evil trying to outdo Resident Evil 4 for number of re-releases, the nerve.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

Let's talk costumes!

Seriously though, it looks nice. I mean not sure what else can be said about a decade old game getting a graphics overhaul.

Also I find it questionable that a taser would work on the undead.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Silly Resident Evil trying to outdo Resident Evil 4 for number of re-releases, the nerve.

When Resident Evil gets itself an iPhone version, then we'll talk. Plus, RE4's ports have occurred throughout a span of years, which is what has made RE4 getting ported almost something of a gag at this point. The remake on the other hand has only technically had two later releases. This in 2015, and a Wii port in 2009.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By The_Nubster

@yummylee said:

@fredchuckdave said:
    @yummylee said:

When Resident Evil gets itself an iPhone version, then we'll talk. Plus, RE4's ports have occurred throughout a span of years, which is what has made RE4 getting ported almost something of a gag at this point. The remake on the other hand has only technically had two later releases. This in 2015, and a Wii port in 2009.

Holy shit, that happened. I had totally forgotten about it. I remember a friend bought it (or pirated it, more likely) and I tried to play it and just... it was just... the controls were... and the screen...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

That sure is pretty! Also those modern controls look turrible. I could also see a knife-only run being a lot easier with them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Um...Im not sure I'm seeing any of the stuff you guys are.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Is this just a remastered version of the gamecube game? That's disappointing.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Your obsession with RE is unhealthy Yummy.

On topic, I will watch this later. Watching videos on a train takes forever. But I'm slightly interested in REmake for whatever reason.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@yummylee said:

@fredchuckdave said:
    @yummylee said:

Holy shit, that happened. I had totally forgotten about it. I remember a friend bought it (or pirated it, more likely) and I tried to play it and just... it was just... the controls were... and the screen...

...The horror!
    ...The horror!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@jeust said:

Yeah, I get that. SD quality can of course add a certain... graininess to the look of a game, that while obviously objectively makes it look worse can benefit the atmosphere of a horror game in particular. I still really like the look of the HDification they've done all the same, but a filter of some kind to maybe add a little blur would have been a nice gesture.

I agree, however "work in progress" ;)

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@jeust said:

I honestly can't tell the difference between the gamecube version.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines said:

@yummylee said:

@jeust said:

I honestly can't tell the difference between the gamecube version.

...and... this version?

Well then this is for you.

Loading Video...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a Gamecube game rendered at a higher resolution.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your obsession with RE is unhealthy Yummy.

getthefugouttahereeeee

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, I completely forgot how the old RE's played, jesus.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't expect to see so many people not comfortable with tank controls on here. *shakes head in disappointment*

Tank controls are the road to true happiness. Understand this, please.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, right? Ain't it magical. None of this over-the-shoulder BS ;)

I should add just in case that I actually really like RE4 (and even RE5 to a lesser degree) and this isn't me legitimately trying to start some old-vs-new beef.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ezekiel

@doctordonkey said:

Yeah, I removed it from my Steam wishlist after I saw that. I like tank controls when they're actually good, like in RE4.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By musubi

I'm just wondering how you can tell that they are using analog controls from that video. Cause to me it looks no different.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: It should be blatantly obvious they're not playing with tank controls in those videos.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Tank controls are the road to true happiness. Understand this, please.

This is true. Being able to play games with tank controls well is an important life skill that the kids these days just don't get.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@demoskinos: It should be blatantly obvious they're not playing with tank controls in those videos.

I seriously can not tell. If I wasn't told that that wasn't the Gamecube version I couldn't tell the difference.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FrostyRyan

In all seriousness, tank controls are better for fixed camera angles in games. Turning a corner and fucking up your directions just doesn't happen in old school RE thanks to those tank controls. and to that, some people might say "well why don't they just not do fixed camera angles." Have you ever thought that maybe fixed camera angles directing your attention at a certain area of the environment is an artistic, creative choice? That shit can REALLY set the mood, especially for horror. It does wonders.

Also, a common misconception is that tank controls are dated. That's not true. They're as "dated" as turn based combat in RPGS. In other words, they aren't dated at all. Some games control a certain way. Learn those ways.

I really don't know what's so difficult to understand about them anyway.

EDIT: and this is coming from a long time fan of Resident Evil, someone who's favorite entry in the series is REmake and second favorite is RE4. Both masterpieces in their own ways.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just played REmake on the GameCube a while ago. From the looks of it the analogue controls will make it easier to avoid monsters, I wonder if it'll play exactly like Silent Hill's 2D controls. I don't really like the zoomed-in look that the widescreen mode has. The cutscenes and areas look too out of focus(?) due to them trying to make up for the screen real estate. The camera panning seems subtle enough though.

The upressed background graphics sure look nice though. It's a bit too shiny for my liking, but it doesn't seem apparent that they simply just upscaled existing assets. Maybe they really did rerender all those backgrounds. The lighting is still great in this game, I like the softer shadows (RIP hard shadows).

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks great, the higher-res backgrounds are looking nice. Awesome to get this game in HD and Widescreen.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By pr1mus

@demoskinos said:

@yummylee said:

I seriously can not tell. If I wasn't told that that wasn't the Gamecube version I couldn't tell the difference.

I think the first video uses tank control but played with a stick instead of the d-pad. Gives smoother looking movement i suppose but i always found stick+tank control to be awful.

The second video however is very obviously using full analog controls. You can tell by how much faster the character spins on himself and the myriads of time where the character just does a 180 or 90 degrees turn when the camera changes perspective. You push the stick up to go forward when the camera is placed behind the character and has soon as the camera angle changes and is now looking in the opposite direction the character spins wildly.

There's a reason for tank controls in a game with fixed camera angles. You need the constant of the character always going forward by pressing up regardless of the camera's position.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WAIT. You can play with non-tank controls now?? That's fantastic. Extremely excited for this all of a sudden.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Um...Im not sure I'm seeing any of the stuff you guys are.

I feel lied to about the breasts.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan said:

In all seriousness, tank controls are better for fixed camera angles in games. Turning a corner and fucking up your directions just doesn't happen in old school RE thanks to those tank controls. and to that, some people might say "well why don't they just not do fixed camera angles." Have you ever thought that maybe fixed camera angles directing your attention at a certain area of the environment is an artistic, creative choice? That shit can REALLY set the mood, especially for horror. It does wonders.

Also, a common misconception is that tank controls are dated. That's not true. They're as "dated" as turn based combat in RPGS. In other words, they aren't dated at all. Some games control a certain way. Learn those ways.

I really don't know what's so difficult to understand about them anyway.

EDIT: and this is coming from a long time fan of Resident Evil, someone who's favorite entry in the series is REmake and second favorite is RE4. Both masterpieces in their own ways.

I am of course in full agreement.

@pr1mus: You're right, the Jill video is definitely using tank controls, my mistake. I admittedly didn't watch much of 'em, just enough to check out the graphics, and it was Chris' that I primarily watched at that.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few things I noticed:

1. The PS4 version now is what I remember the Gamecube version looking like when it came out. Seeing them both side-by-side, they really did some nice work cleaning up the Gamecube version.
    2. For as old as the Gamecube version is now, it's still not that bad. I would compare it directly to early PS3 or 360 games before they figured everything out.
    3. The HD remaster looks like a mid-generation PS3 or 360 game.
    4. They need to do something with that sound. The new zombie moans sound okay, but everything else is just flat and it's kind of jarring in comparison. If they are going to redo sounds for the zombies, they need to redo everything else as well.
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FrostyRyan

I briefly skimmed through it, but good work!

Anyway, the only complaint I COMPLETELY understand when it comes to old-school survival horror is lack of moving while shooting. I'm personally still fine with it but yeah, I get it.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: I'm pretty sure that sound is crap from the video compression end. You can hear artifactting. They defiantly wouldn't release like that

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rather than make a new thread, i figure it'd be more suitable to just update & bump this one to show off the pantheon of screenshots that have been unleashed into the wild.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Oh, huh, I thought this was going to be a remake involving over the shoulder "cinematic" camera angles. As someone who liked RE2 to an extent, I'm kinda looking forward to it...when it goes on sale.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for this. The best RE game is now even better.

Also, if any of you dare play this without tank controls....well.....you're not a good person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.