Resident Evil (Director's Cut) - Worth a go?

#1 Posted by el_tajij (712 posts) -

So, I'm going to admit something quite embarrassing - I've never really played a classic resident evil game (I played a whole bunch of RE5). It's one of the big series I never really got into as a young'un. Since it's on sale this halloween weekend, I was thinking of giving Resident Evil Director's cut on PSN a shot. I was wondering, how will it hold up today? I'm pretty thick-skinned at playing games with awful or outdated graphics e.t.c. so that doesn't bother me. But is it worth a go now or is it only worth playing if you hold the nostalgia value for it?

#2 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@el_tajij
I would say it depends on how cheap can get it. The game has an antiquated design and control scheme that a lot of people seem to hate. 
The Resident Evil games that played similarly are a bit hard to recommend since it can be a love hate kind of thing. Have you seen any gameplay? Are you interested in the exploring and puzzle side of things?

Also how do you like AMAZING voice acting? ( By that I mean its terrible)
#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I'm a huge fan but I can admit they don't hold up. That said it is nice to learn about how games once were compard to their current forms. How cheap is it on PSN? I got it for free along with 2 and 3 due to being part of Plus but if it's less than $5 I say go for it, have a good laugh.

#4 Edited by el_tajij (712 posts) -

@Resident4t: Haha, yeah I've heard (from other players and direct soundbites) how bad the voice acting is. Stuff like that adds to the charm I think! I'd say I know quite a bit about the game but was wondering if someone such as yourself thinks it stands up today for a first-time playthrough or whether it's too antique to be any fun anymore?

@msavo: It's £3.99 on the PSN at the moment so it's pretty cheap as things go. Funds are a little low at the moment so looking for something sort of under £10 to keep me busy for the next few days.

#5 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@el_tajij: Hm...... Well the game can still be fun to play, but if you have never played the older Resident Evil games there is a high chance you might not like it.  If it is that cheap though I would say give it a chance.  Just know the game isn't really that long, if you go through it with both characters you could get maybe 10-15 hours out of it but it really depends on how fast you can get through it. The game can be beaten in 1-3 hours if you use a guide, so I would say stay away from guides as much as possible.
#6 Posted by Ramone (2967 posts) -

Yes, if only to listen to this horrible change in the music:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.