I was blown away by all the Resistance news today!

#1 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
#2 Posted by Joker (675 posts) -

I never really got into the first Resistance. I feel that Insomniac can't really do gritty first person shooters, but I do think that their Ratchet and Clank games are GREAT. Let's hope this can turn the tide for me.

#3 Edited by 10MP (311 posts) -

the first and last are the only ones that look good and it's probly just a bunch of touched up screens.

if you actually go ahead and look at videos for resistance it looks pretty bad.

#4 Posted by yellownumber5 (364 posts) -

When it comes to forest I look at how well sunlight shadows are cast on the trees, ground, and players.  Uncharted and Crysis did this superb, but R2 is so far a good runner up IMO.

#5 Edited by Keano (466 posts) -

blown away??? LMAO!!!!! Those screens are Mediocre at best.

#6 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Keano said:
"blown away??? LMAO!!!!! Those screens are Mediocre at best."
You kid. Resistance 2 was never going to be on the same plains as Far Cry and Killzone but even considering that it still looks amazing.

It's probably a measure of how good Far Cry and Killzone look -- or of how far we've come in terms of graphical prowess.

Loading up Ratchet & Clank Future still blows me away.
#7 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

The game is looking very vanilla flavored FPSish
Only thing that really stands out so far for me is the Leviathan
But if I want a decent single player campaign I'll go with Far Cry 2 or Fallout 3

#8 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

All I know is that the E3 demo looked awful and until I see a new demo that really blows me away...I won't care at all about this game.

#9 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

This is a painting...

Why would they call this a gameplay screenshot?


#10 Posted by Win (541 posts) -

Honestly, I am having my doubts about the game. I enjoyed Resistance:FOM but there has always been something about the Resistance franchise that bothers me. Maybe its the fact that Insomniac keeps adding TONS of features  but the overall quality of the game isn't that great. It becomes an issue of Quantity vs Quality and I for one prefer Quality.

#11 Posted by Jordan23 (1000 posts) -
Gametrailers has a ton of new video footage of Resistance 2.
#12 Posted by Randolph (374 posts) -

I never really liked the first one, it was a vanilla FPS, and the variety of unique weapons didn't work as well as it does in the Ratchet games.  The standard starting rifle was the best weapon in the game, I never wanted to use anything else.  That was all it had to really seperate itself from the pack, and it just didn't deliver.  Most of the improvements seem to be focused on the multiplayer, and I just can't stand the typical online FPS crowd, so I don't ever really take that feature in any game into account.  Basically, I'll pass on this one.  I have the Orange Box, I don't need another FPS.

#13 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

yuh R2 looks really good

#14 Posted by heretrix (84 posts) -

I'm down for the 8 player coop. everything else, Meh.

#15 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Keano said:
"blown away??? LMAO!!!!! Those screens are Mediocre at best."
Resistance in the jungle. Seriously, this game will be far from medicore.

You enjoy your 360, I'll enjoy my PS3, you enjoy GeOW2, I'll enjoy Resistance 2. Just because you don't have a PS3 doesn't mean you have to be a troll. If you're going to continue to troll, I think it's best if you stay on the 360 forum.
#16 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it, I wasn't the biggest fan of Resistance:FOM but hopefully this will trump it.

#17 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Otacon said:
"I wasn't the biggest fan of Resistance:FOM but hopefully this will trump it."
Same here. Although I didn't play R:FOM until 2007 so that's probably why I thought it felt outdated and just  "another shooter"
#18 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

Doesnt look like it will be that good to me

#19 Posted by lantus (143 posts) -

I feel anything Insomniac puts out is always at least solid, so I have high expectations for this game, this holiday will own. :)

#20 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

i think it will be pretty good. im going to get it. not on release but most likly later november or december

#21 Posted by Renegade_v2 (128 posts) -

Wow, That looks like SHITE. 

Pass on this Garbage game
#22 Posted by Packfan104L4 (210 posts) -

Wow, thread like this make me realize why I stick to console specific sites (PS3 Fanboy, 360 Fanboy, etc) to post comments, because threads like this just prove what immature retards will post just because they don't own the opposing console.  Happens on BOTH systems boards and it's retarded.  Other sites were smart by modding "my console is more 1337 than yours" threads before it's gotten out of hand like every thread n these forums.

R2 sucks! ~360 Fanboy
G0W2 sucks! ~PS3 Fanboy

It's old.

#23 Posted by Terrell (417 posts) -

I dont know, I watched alot of videos on this game, and something about the look of it just doesn't seem right?  I mean I dont really like how the game looks artistically (technically its pretty good but not great though) and something about the way the character moves around....it just seems weird... I dont know

But then again, I like Perfect Dark Zero and don't like COD 4, so who knows...

#24 Edited by Renegade_v2 (128 posts) -
Packfan104L4 said:
"Wow, thread like this make me realize why I stick to console specific sites (PS3 Fanboy, 360 Fanboy, etc) to post comments, because threads like this just prove what immature retards will post just because they don't own the opposing console.  Happens on BOTH systems boards and it's retarded.  Other sites were smart by modding "my console is more 1337 than yours" threads before it's gotten out of hand like every thread n these forums.

R2 sucks! ~360 Fanboy
G0W2 sucks! ~PS3 Fanboy

It's old."
...wow, so just cause everybody isnt a 12 year old console worshipper like you means they're a fanboy of the "other" console? LMAO.

The game looks like SHIT, why would i waste my money on this trash when theres much better games coming out?

LBP > this Trash, FarCry2 > this garbage, KIllzone2 > this game, Even COD:WaW > this trash game.
#25 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
Renegade_v2 said:
"Packfan104L4 said:
"Wow, thread like this make me realize why I stick to console specific sites (PS3 Fanboy, 360 Fanboy, etc) to post comments, because threads like this just prove what immature retards will post just because they don't own the opposing console.  Happens on BOTH systems boards and it's retarded.  Other sites were smart by modding "my console is more 1337 than yours" threads before it's gotten out of hand like every thread n these forums.

R2 sucks! ~360 Fanboy
G0W2 sucks! ~PS3 Fanboy

It's old."
...wow, so just cause everybody isnt a 12 year old console worshipper like you means they're a fanboy of the "other" console? LMAO.

The game looks like SHIT, why would i waste my money on this trash when theres much better games coming out?

LBP > this Trash, FarCry2 > this garbage, KIllzone2 > this game, Even COD:WaW > this trash game.
"
no. no it is not. cod wow will not be better than r2.
#26 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

TBH I haven't seen anything good about R2, when they first announce the game I had high hopes now I don't think it will be any good.

#27 Posted by Player1 (3870 posts) -

This game looks extremely sexy. 

#28 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

so explain what  the new news was? cause it wasn't these pics right?

#29 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
Joker said:
"I never really got into the first Resistance. I feel that Insomniac can't really do gritty first person shooters, but I do think that their Ratchet and Clank games are GREAT. Let's hope this can turn the tide for me."
they never intended to have the same generic so-called "gritty" graphics you speak of. the style of their graphics are great and i like it very much. 
you play too much gears of war or something. 
#30 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

 come now that video was amazing and the co-op stuff looks fantastic

#31 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

Getting it day one! :D

#32 Edited by Joker (675 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"Joker said:
"I never really got into the first Resistance. I feel that Insomniac can't really do gritty first person shooters, but I do think that their Ratchet and Clank games are GREAT. Let's hope this can turn the tide for me."
they never intended to have the same generic so-called "gritty" graphics you speak of. the style of their graphics are great and i like it very much. 
you play too much gears of war or something. 
"
Uhh, I hate to break it to you man, but almost every FPS game goes for a gritty environment. Especially this game. What other "style" is there? I don't recall rainbows and daisies. This game is about war. There is no other "style". Every war game is trying to for a dark, gritty, realistic feel. Although this game isn't bound to some of those rules, gritty is what they were definitely aiming for.

Gritty = Dark, musty, and dirty environments.

I can prove that this game is going for it with you first and last screenshot.

P.S. Stop being condescending and say that I play too much Gears of War. Gears of War is a 3rd person shooter, whereas Resistance 2 is a First person shooter. They don't even relate. Overlook the fact that this game is a PS3 exclusive. You wouldn't feel as good about this game if it was on every console.
#33 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
Joker said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"Joker said:
"I never really got into the first Resistance. I feel that Insomniac can't really do gritty first person shooters, but I do think that their Ratchet and Clank games are GREAT. Let's hope this can turn the tide for me."
they never intended to have the same generic so-called "gritty" graphics you speak of. the style of their graphics are great and i like it very much. 
you play too much gears of war or something. 
"
Uhh, I hate to break it to you man, but almost every FPS game goes for a gritty environment. Especially this game. What other "style" is there? I don't recall rainbows and daisies. This game is about war. There is no other "style". Every war game is trying to for a dark, gritty, realistic feel. Although this game isn't bound to some of those rules, gritty is what they were definitely aiming for.

Gritty = Dark, musty, and dirty environments.

I can prove that this game is going for it with you first and last screenshot.

P.S. Stop being condescending and say that I play too much Gears of War. Gears of War is a 3rd person shooter, whereas Resistance 2 is a First person shooter. They don't even relate. Overlook the fact that this game is a PS3 exclusive. You wouldn't feel as good about this game if it was on every console."
uh, how about mirrors edge for instance. how about bioshock. i can name a ton of fps games that don't go for the always rehashed so-called gritty look. 
insomniac is trying to create an atmosphere and evoke images and thoughts and feelings of the 1950's in people's minds. they're trying to make look more like the movie sky captain more than anything else. 
sure its dark, it has dirty environments, and all that, but its not about that. 
oh, and come on gear and resistance don't relate???! both are shooters no?
 fine, i'll compare it to a game that has identical graphics, unreal tournament. 
there. and thats bullshit. they're both shooters. theres not as big of a difference between TPS and FPS as you think. 

and wouldn't feel as good? i have a 360 and a ps3 dude. i own gears of war and halo 3, and i own resitance 1 and mgs4. 
i thought resitance one was more fun than gears of war. i liked the super fast pacing, and the awesome weapon strategies. it was a very challenging game and fun. online is a different story which goes to halo hands down. 

this new game look better than either of those. 
if it was out on everything i'd say, wow, we haven't seen this much effort into a cross-platform game since GTA4
the cut scenes look state of the art
the scale of the battles going on look absolutely epic. 
8-player co-op looks amazing
and the online looks fantastic.
and the fact that they all relate to eachother with unlockables and a sort of rating system is great too
#34 Posted by filiwian (249 posts) -

The first Resistance was okay for me but I highly doubt the second one will blow me away at all unless they introduce something new.

#35 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Looking really forward to this game :D

#36 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

YES!!! Can't wait. =) I already have the Collector's Edition pre-ordered. Beta starting soon...

#37 Posted by insanegamer (612 posts) -

really looking forward to resistance 2 i really can't wait till november.

#38 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

This game looks really good. I am looking forward to all the changes from Resistance 1.
Especially the online.

#39 Posted by LiquidPrince (15952 posts) -

Need to be grittier with more rubble and destruction everywhere. Looks decent though.

#40 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Renegade_v2 said:
LBP > this Trash, FarCry2 > this garbage, KIllzone2 > this game, Even COD:WaW > this trash game."
Because of course, you have played all of those games.
#41 Posted by ManlyBeast (1153 posts) -

I should be getting it day one I hope. 

#42 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"Need to be grittier with more rubble and destruction everywhere. Looks decent though."
Yes. Needs some more grey, too.

I don't get all the calls of mediocrity and bad quality that get made on this game. It looks pretty great to me.
#43 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
Jayge said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Need to be grittier with more rubble and destruction everywhere. Looks decent though."
Yes. Needs some more grey, too.

I don't get all the calls of mediocrity and bad quality that get made on this game. It looks pretty great to me."
did you ever play the first one, no screen shots can do it justice. i always felt the graphics were on par with cod4. the debris effects and weather effects were also much better than cod4. not as "real" looking as cod4, but as good or better overall 
#44 Posted by PenguinNerd (959 posts) -
p4ddym1607 said:
"This game looks really good. I am looking forward to all the changes from Resistance 1.
Especially the online."
This!  The main thing I'm looking forward to is the Co-op storyline.  And how it's separate from the main one with Nathan Hale.  REALLY interested on how that turns out.
#45 Edited by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"Jayge said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Need to be grittier with more rubble and destruction everywhere. Looks decent though."
Yes. Needs some more grey, too.

I don't get all the calls of mediocrity and bad quality that get made on this game. It looks pretty great to me."
did you ever play the first one, no screen shots can do it justice. i always felt the graphics were on par with cod4. the debris effects and weather effects were also much better than cod4. not as "real" looking as cod4, but as good or better overall "
I've played the first one. I thought that while the graphics weren't the best, the setting it portrayed, the unique weapon design, and the overall atmosphere were very well done and I have a lot of respect for the game because of that. I have seen numorous comments about static shadows and fairly lazy lighting being thrown around in terms of graphics for R2, although I can't really say I agree that having super-dynamic lighting and tons of HDR heaped on would help the game at all. I think that there is a bit of a cartoony flair in the graphical style, not necessarily with the art itself, but with the coloring and arrangement. I don't think having everything reflect in your face and all "real" would be good either. I can't tell if you saw my post as sarcastic or not though, but I'm trying to explain that I was being satirical with the "gray" comment.
#46 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
Jayge said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"Jayge said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Need to be grittier with more rubble and destruction everywhere. Looks decent though."
Yes. Needs some more grey, too.

I don't get all the calls of mediocrity and bad quality that get made on this game. It looks pretty great to me."
did you ever play the first one, no screen shots can do it justice. i always felt the graphics were on par with cod4. the debris effects and weather effects were also much better than cod4. not as "real" looking as cod4, but as good or better overall "
I've played the first one. I thought that while the graphics weren't the best, the setting it portrayed, the unique weapon design, and the overall atmosphere were very well done and I have a lot of respect for the game because of that. I have seen numorous comments about static shadows and fairly lazy lighting being thrown around in terms of graphics for R2, although I can't really say I agree that having super-dynamic lighting and tons of HDR heaped on would help the game at all. I think that there is a bit of a cartoony flair in the graphical style, not necessarily with the art itself, but with the coloring and arrangement. I don't think having everything reflect in your face and all "real" would be good either. I can't tell if you saw my post as sarcastic or not though, but I'm trying to explain that I was being satirical with the "gray" comment."
the only reports of those lazy lighting whatever stuff going on is from the beta, which is by no mean an accurate portrayal of the graphics in the final product (most of the people who played the demos last week went on to stress that the graphics have made huge improvements throughout development, and the beta. the beta are just there testing the mechanics more than anything else). 
o i know the grey comment was not serious. honestly i may have even quoted the wrong person, or maybe i read you wrong. 
i think we have to wait until we see this game in motion in at least the demo, the open beta shouldn't be judged, before we know for sure how this game looks and plays. 
#47 Posted by LoZone (148 posts) -

this game looks great,  i cant wait to play it.

#48 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I'm getting excited for this game too now but I don't feel there were fundamental problems with Resistance: FOM that I hope have been addressed in this game.

Resistance: FOM had an awesome settieng and a really cool plot but I still felt it suffered from a lack of style. Running round an authentic 1950's England was awesome but at times it felt too gamey and predictable. I didn't feel like I could connect with the plot like you do with say Bioshock. The series could learn greatly from the likes of Bioshock. A dash more horror in the game would be welcome I think too. Also given Insomniacs track-record for the "waxy" looking Ratchet games you feel like their artistic flare should move into Resistance too. Thankfully the "timebomb" trailer looked like it incorporated that kind of "look" and I hope to see more of it. You can still do dark and gritty with out the cliches.

Secondly I think FOM lacked variation. The driving/tank/STALKER bits were cool but the controls were awkward and it was essentially a rehash of the same thing in a different environment. Shooting Chimera's did become a chore. Mainly because it was the same enemy from start to finish. Off the top of my head I can only think of about 10 enemies that appeared in a particularly drawn out campaign and while the gunplay strategy aspects of the game are absolutely awesome, shooting literally hundreds of the same enemy became so mundane.

Now I happen to believe that Insomniac games are the masters of repetitive gameplay (how Ratchet & Clank manages to stay fresh is a mystery) but come on - that one Chimera got so irritating. I hope this game literally quadruples the enemy count.

They need to break up the shooting action too - I love shooting monsters - it's cool but I hope this game has sub-plots and alternative missions. Anything to keep the game fresh throughout.

For me if they fix those problems they are totally onto a winner.

#49 Edited by pause422 (6188 posts) -

I think the game is gonna be much darker than the first...everyone who defines gritty though, they just want every game to  have more grey in it and I don't understand it. The game still has sorta the same look as RFOM except certain areas are a bit more colorful, like the Chicago level shown. A few more horror elements, I mean the game isn' really going for the horror genre but I definitely saw a few added elements here and there, the grim charging at you in the streets in chicago looks like a 28 days later(or now I guess Left4Dead) kinda vibe, then the Orrick video with the Chameleon stealth dudes ripping guys in half while you can't see them...and I believe also in that part I heard that whenever you encounter those specific Chimera if you don't find them while they are running at you stealthed and kill them, the second they touch you , you immediately get ripped in half and die(so its a bit more threatening to want to be paranoid in those scenes and listen to everything.)

Everyone has their opinions about any game really and thats fine, but just the few people saying it looks like complete and utter garbage I can't understand. I'm definitely not looking forward to this game as much as Farcry 2 or Fallout 3, but still very intersted in checking out when its released. Not exactly interested in the one game everyone else is this year...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.