Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Step back into the shoes of Nathan Hale and fight against the Chimeran invasion of the United States in Resistance 2.

Let's make this clear...

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By AndrewGaspar

This is something I posted on myresistance.net. I thought I'd share it with you guys.

---

Insomniac did a poor job with the Campaign in Resistance 2.

We should have all seen this coming when the campaign had already been completed by the time they announced the game. Sure, it didn't have all of the polish, but the story was set in stone at a very early point in the development process. Sure, the intel and viral stuff fleshed out the story very well, but all of the characters and cutscenes from Resistance 2's campaign were very poorly executed. I, for one, connected with none of the character, including Hale. Actually, the best character in that game was the one you never saw: Henry Stillman. He was by far the deepest and most compelling character in the story. Unfortunately, the character is forced to follow Nathan Hale, who would have been fine as a silent protagonist, but apparently that wasn't BA enough.

The Sentinals were generic and uninteresting, the plot line was uninteresting and a disappointment after Resistance: Fall of Man and the excellent viral marketing campaign, and the story answers almost no questions and creates a million new ones. We're lucky this game sold well (at least I presume it did) so we can actually see how the story pans out. But that pisses me off. It's like they created this story knowing full well they could screw up the campaign and just try to fix it with Resistance 3.

Don't get me wrong, some of the gameplay elements were definitely interesting, but the story holding it together was so weak, it actually made me LESS interested in the Resistance universe.

You know what I want? A survival-horror game where you play as a common American like Henry Stillman. You're trying to get out of a town crippled by a Chimeran strike. Imagine the possibilites.

Unfortuntely, that was all I got out of the Resistance 2 campaign. Thankfully co-op and competitive save it!

/rant

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AndrewGaspar

This is something I posted on myresistance.net. I thought I'd share it with you guys.

---

Insomniac did a poor job with the Campaign in Resistance 2.

We should have all seen this coming when the campaign had already been completed by the time they announced the game. Sure, it didn't have all of the polish, but the story was set in stone at a very early point in the development process. Sure, the intel and viral stuff fleshed out the story very well, but all of the characters and cutscenes from Resistance 2's campaign were very poorly executed. I, for one, connected with none of the character, including Hale. Actually, the best character in that game was the one you never saw: Henry Stillman. He was by far the deepest and most compelling character in the story. Unfortunately, the character is forced to follow Nathan Hale, who would have been fine as a silent protagonist, but apparently that wasn't BA enough.

The Sentinals were generic and uninteresting, the plot line was uninteresting and a disappointment after Resistance: Fall of Man and the excellent viral marketing campaign, and the story answers almost no questions and creates a million new ones. We're lucky this game sold well (at least I presume it did) so we can actually see how the story pans out. But that pisses me off. It's like they created this story knowing full well they could screw up the campaign and just try to fix it with Resistance 3.

Don't get me wrong, some of the gameplay elements were definitely interesting, but the story holding it together was so weak, it actually made me LESS interested in the Resistance universe.

You know what I want? A survival-horror game where you play as a common American like Henry Stillman. You're trying to get out of a town crippled by a Chimeran strike. Imagine the possibilites.

Unfortuntely, that was all I got out of the Resistance 2 campaign. Thankfully co-op and competitive save it!

/rant

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DECA555

agreed but only to a certain point.

Yes the story could have been ALOT stronger but i dont think it was that bad.

Hell yea to that last bit though. The Co-op and competitive are simply amazing

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I feel like the story didn't really add to the universe all that much and leaves more new questions than answers. Actually, they don't really answer any questions. Also, I felt Insomniac was relying on the intel too much. They were using it as a crutch.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By elbow

I think the problem was that if they went that route of a side Coop - which they did - how do they make it so that there is a purpose to it? They probably figured we have this story, so we have to cut it up into pieces.

Personally, I didn't really mind the Campaign, I thought it was better than that of the first Resistance. After having played through the campaign three times, I see what people are saying about the story; the main problem I feel was that Insomniac did a poor job of making it the last 19 hours of his life. I felt the story would have worked a lot better had they stressed the end of the world, stressed how badly they were getting their asses kicked, and so on. I agree in retrospect although again, I didn't mind it, it did seem half assed.

Like you said the intel tells you a lot, and I mean a lot, but even then it's confusing because you have to play the Coop maps in a certain order to really understand what's going on. In essence, I believe Insomniac made a great game, the gameplay in the campaign was zany and lots of fun as was the level design, the Coop was great having some great levels (Orick and Bracknell) while having some not so good ones (Bryce Canyon and Hollar Tower) and the Competative is something that does take a bit of getting used to, but is equally rewarding.

The problem with the first Resistance was how average of an FPS it was, it didn't stand out. However this one does stand out, it's probably the biggest and craziest FPS I have ever played, however some parts of the game seem to have suffered cut backs. Insomniac definately improved the game this time around and I hope and expect them to do so with the sequal.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

The first Resistance did a better job of making it a larger war than one man's. I actually think the narration of Resistance: Fall of Man better suited the franchise than trying to make Hale an interesting character, which he frankly isn't, even if he IS from Sioux Falls, South Dakota (w00t). =P

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I think that the campaign still uses the intel too much to tell the story. Its like Doom 3. If you dont read and listen to any PDA, you get a shitty story, if you find all of them, you can cover most areas, and discover that the story was not that bad. But still, the Sentinels relationship thing could have used some work, still Capelli is my favorite character.
    The first Resistance did the same, but had a different ambientation, it was more of a war record, and not a first person story.
    But still, there are some bits of info missing, that I suppose will be covered in the coming games of the series.
    I actually liked the story, and I am one of the few who likes the ending.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    DragoonKain1687 said:
    "I think that the campaign still uses the intel too much to tell the story. Its like Doom 3. If you dont read and listen to any PDA, you get a shitty story, if you find all of them, you can cover most areas, and discover that the story was not that bad. But still, the Sentinels relationship thing could have used some work, still Capelli is my favorite character.
    The first Resistance did the same, but had a different ambientation, it was more of a war record, and not a first person story.
    But still, there are some bits of info missing, that I suppose will be covered in the coming games of the series.
    I actually liked the story, and I am one of the few who likes the ending."
    *MGS4 AND RESISTANCE 2 SPOILERS AHEAD*

I don't think a lot of people cared when/if Hale died because Hale was a REALLY boring character. This is the vice versa of my reaction to the end of MGS4. I wish Snake WOULD have died, because he deserved a proper end like that and I WOULD have cared.

*END OF SPOILERS*
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "DragoonKain1687 said:
    "I think that the campaign still uses the intel too much to tell the story. Its like Doom 3. If you dont read and listen to any PDA, you get a shitty story, if you find all of them, you can cover most areas, and discover that the story was not that bad. But still, the Sentinels relationship thing could have used some work, still Capelli is my favorite character.
    I actually liked the story, and I am one of the few who likes the ending."
    *MGS4 AND RESISTANCE 2 SPOILERS AHEAD*

I don't think a lot of people cared when/if Hale died because Hale was a REALLY boring character. This is the vice versa of my reaction to the end of MGS4. I wish Snake WOULD have died, because he deserved a proper end like that and I WOULD have cared.

*END OF SPOILERS*"
    But they are 2 completely opposite types of stories. Its like Comparing the Godfather or Scarface to Spiderman or Batman.
    Resistance, much like Gears, are what I call: "pop corn games", which offer a standard, mostly cliché story, that boards no serious matters, nor does it takes itself seriously. (Though Gears focuses more in showcasing the characters, and Resistance focuses on the invasion)
    DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DECA555

as im i. I really enjoyed the ending and i cant wait to see were it goes from there 

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    DECA555 said:
    "as im i. I really enjoyed the ending and i cant wait to see were it goes from there "
    I think that we will have a second spin off, maybe something about the sentinels, maybe using Hale again, but doing missions of the 2 years between the Prologue and Chapter 1. I suppose they could explain more about Project Abe and his relationship with Sheperd.
    KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By KindGalaxy

I was intending to buy Resistance 2 based on the singleplayer game with a mild co-op with my best wingman, but ehhh... can't seem to muster the bucks for a game people call 'mediocre' when it comes to the SP experience.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DECA555

well halo still managed to sell the way it did even with a piss poor SP and pretty Meh MP

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    DECA555 said:
    "well halo still managed to sell the way it did even with a piss poor SP and pretty Meh MP"
    Halos MP was the only good thing going for the series, and its the reason why it is as popular as it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.