Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Step back into the shoes of Nathan Hale and fight against the Chimeran invasion of the United States in Resistance 2.

Why is everyone making out R2's single player to be bad

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think the single player was hugely entertaining. Yes the story telling could have been more but I had so much fun playing the game. Also i heard people complaining about how you die so much. You must be terrible at the game if you die a huge amount. I played on Difficult and i was never stuck on one part.

I would like to know why people think the single player is (In the words of Vinny "Rubbish")

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

Because to a lot of people, it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pause422 said:
    "Because to a lot of people, it is."
    Hmm...
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demilich

It was bad. Really bad. They basically made a 10 hour game based on trial and error. The first time you encounter a group of enemies you are basically guaranteed to die until you figure out the spawn points and patterns.

Fortunately the multiplayer is good.

scumble373

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scumble373

Srry but I got to agree with p4ddym1607 on this one.    I LOVE THE SINGLE PLAYER!   Dude, single player in this game rocks, the boss battles are intense, Cutscenes are good, I will admit that there is a little trial and error but unlike you im never guaranteed  to die, most waves of enemies i servive but there are a few that I do die. Yes, yes the multiplayer is better but the single player is definately worth playing!!!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

I actually really enjoyed it. It's generic as hell and the story-telling is a bit woeful but I found the gunfights satisfying and the boss models satisfying. The problem with the bosses is that you never feel like your doing them much damage (they don't react to much at all and you don't get any visual representation you are doing much damage).

Having said that, I don't think it's "rubbish" at all. In fact I had a good deal of fun with it.

The game is still all about the multiplayer though!

scumble373

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scumble373

NOT RUBBISH!!!!                                                   I agree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demilich said:
    "It was bad. Really bad. They basically made a 10 hour game based on trial and error. The first time you encounter a group of enemies you are basically guaranteed to die until you figure out the spawn points and patterns.

Fortunately the multiplayer is good."
    I have heard this "Trial and Error" bs about this game. I did the game on difficult mode and i did not die that often. The game is very "easy" even on difficult.
    Like i learned very quickly how to kill the big guys that use the shields instantly.

I had fun with the game anyway. Still going back and getting various trophies. Its a "blast" as some americans would say.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Shadow

The first time through, I hated it.  Then I played it again though (I needed a trophy called OMGWTFBBQ) and it was actually much better the second time...or maybe it's just best if played on the hardest difficulty?  Either way, I enjoyed my superhuman run far more than playing it on difficult

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah I`m not usually horrible at FPS, I`m pretty good most of the time, but I died a shit load of fuck(way to many) times in this one.
    But the single player wasn`t bad, ending sucked, story kind of...sucked but there were some awesome parts, like the huge boss and when you first see the city being attacked.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sarnecki

I really was digging the monsters on the Sub, and then the beautiful Kraken fight, but then I kind of realized...

There's not a single living American citizen here...  That boss fight was just use special beam wave weapon to shoot the monster....   There's no trick to these enemies...

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BothBarsOn

Two problems, for me:

1 Absolutely no sense of being in a real place that had suffered a real disaster (the radio guy only served to remind me of the missed opportunity)
    2 Piss-poor story-telling

Gameplay was fun though!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

well if it's anything like R1 it's just "OMG LOTS OF ENEMIES BUT IM STILL GENERIC"

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    crunchUK said:
    "well if it's anything like R1 it's just "OMG LOTS OF ENEMIES BUT IM STILL GENERIC""
    I don't know why everyone crabs on about Resistance being generic. There are particularly XBOX franchises I can bring up that are also very generic but won't.

Much as I love Resistance though; I think the Ratchet & Clank games are on another level. Can't wait for the new one.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK
    get2sammyb said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "well if it's anything like R1 it's just "OMG LOTS OF ENEMIES BUT IM STILL GENERIC""
    I don't know why everyone crabs on about Resistance being generic. There are particularly XBOX franchises I can bring up that are also very generic but won't.

Much as I love Resistance though; I think the Ratchet & Clank games are on another level. Can't wait for the new one."
    i haven't played resistance 2 but come on resistance 1 was just about on the level of quake 4
    Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vecta
    get2sammyb said:
    There are particularly XBOX franchises I can bring up that are also very generic but won't.

Resistances single player is considered generic because its almost a carbon copy of  Halos gameplay ( a game were every single console FPS since the originals release has copied many elements from). The only thing that separates the 2 series is the atmosphere and story.

Look at it this way Halo came out, it had an excellent story, great graphics and the most intuitive controls and gun play of any console FPS yet. It' Wowed' people.

Doing the smart thing Insomniac  basically went the safe root and essentially just put Halos gameplay into a different setting in Resistance 1, They didn't add anything exciting beyond some pretty crazy weapon designs. Now the story and atmosphere was sub-par but the gameplay was solid and fun.

Then Halo 2 comes out, focuses heavily on both the multiplayer and single-player and ultimately the single-player just doesn't live up to the original game. Whilst still retaining the solid and fun gameplay from the first and adding in a few new improvements ( namely Duel Wielding and bigger set pieces) the story just fails. But the multiplayer is superb and clearly got a lot of attention from Bungie.

So then Resistance 2 comes out and guess what, the game still retains its solid and fun gameplay and adds a few improvements(namely bigger boss and set pieces) but the story like Halo 2s, just fails. And like Bungie with Halo 2, Insomniac did a great job with all of the multiplayer aspects of the game and its really fun.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeadWeezel

Sorry about the black text, GiantBombs edit box is pretty bloody stupid and I pasted this text from a notepad. It no longer formats properly.

The storytelling appears to be along the lines of Resistance:FOM, which is to say if you care for details you hunt down documents (I enjoy this aspect) but R1 certainly had more depth, even the Morse code on the dead XRAY soldiers contained real messages, that was slick stuff.
    But this game shows fairly fundamental flaws in design, not game breakingly so but it is a clear reminder that Insomniac are fairly new to the more serious FPS genera.  And to be fair they are still doing a stand-up job of it. Main issues I think are down to AI only noticing you in many situations.  Fighting 3 Titans in one go I could simply not escape their fire for long enough to think or plan anything.  They utterly ignored my squad who were firing at them to very little effect. Some people have said "But you are more obvious to them because you are becoming a Chimera!" and appear to have forgotten that this is the same for all members of the Sentinel squad.  The Grims also exhibit this annoying behaviour, often literally pushing AI squad members out of the way to attack the player. Poor design.
    The audio while very well done has some odd choices too with the prime example being that anyone who is talking appears to be talking through an earpeice to you, but this is mixed with the surround sound and depth so that if you turn away and run you will hear them talking quieter (to a point) and behind you.  A single earpeice capable of surround sound eh?  Just a weird gripe. I am fully enjoying the game and the online segment is stellar.  I also think I am enjoying the campaign a bit more than Gears of War 2 which I was very disappointed by, something I still am sad about.
    Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Throne

I thought the single player was okay. I liked it, but it could have been better.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Discorsi
    get2sammyb said:
    "crunchUK said:

Much as I love Resistance though; I think the Ratchet & Clank games are on another level. Can't wait for the new one."
    wtf i don't see anywhere where crunch mentions the 360 or any of its fps's.

GTFO here get2sammyb with your wanting to make any post that is detrimental to the ps3 or its games images into a fuckin console war.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Because it doesn't have the word "Halo" in the title.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Will1Lucky

Apart from the Charmeleons where it took me a while to learn how to avoid them better I don't die that often within game. Overall I felt the Single Player was fantastic and I actually enjoyed the story as I considered R1 to have one of the best stories of that year so it was nice to be able to continue it.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Ross
    Vecta said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    There are particularly XBOX franchises I can bring up that are also very generic but won't.

Resistances single player is considered generic because its almost a carbon copy of  Halos gameplay ( a game were every single console FPS since the originals release has copied many elements from). The only thing that separates the 2 series is the atmosphere and story.

Look at it this way Halo came out, it had an excellent story, great graphics and the most intuitive controls and gun play of any console FPS yet. It' Wowed' people.

Doing the smart thing Insomniac  basically went the safe root and essentially just put Halos gameplay into a different setting in Resistance 1, They didn't add anything exciting beyond some pretty crazy weapon designs. Now the story and atmosphere was sub-par but the gameplay was solid and fun.

Then Halo 2 comes out, focuses heavily on both the multiplayer and single-player and ultimately the single-player just doesn't live up to the original game. Whilst still retaining the solid and fun gameplay from the first and adding in a few new improvements ( namely Duel Wielding and bigger set pieces) the story just fails. But the multiplayer is superb and clearly got a lot of attention from Bungie.

So then Resistance 2 comes out and guess what, the game still retains its solid and fun gameplay and adds a few improvements(namely bigger boss and set pieces) but the story like Halo 2s, just fails. And like Bungie with Halo 2, Insomniac did a great job with all of the multiplayer aspects of the game and its really fun."
    Fantastically put, Vecta.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By KamasamaK
    Vecta said:
    "The only thing that separates the 2 series is the atmosphere and story."
    And the weapons and the level design and... Pretty much just the mechanics are similar, and they didn't even put vehicles in Resistance 2. There's very little doubt that they at least used Halo as a template.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    • Too easy
    • few new weapons
    • story blowed
    • no vehicle missions. =(
    • Some of the environments were kind of bland
    Just to name a few.
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "
    • Too easy
    • few new weapons
    • story blowed
    • no vehicle missions. =(
    • Some of the environments were kind of bland
    Just to name a few."

I don't really think it was too easy. It wasn't complicated enough would be the better thing to say. You didn't have to think about anything... just kill the bad guys and move on really.

But I agree with your other points. I still enjoyed the game, but it could have been much better.
    MKO619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By MKO619

Well lets just agree that the PS3 Sucks and you should all be playing on 360's

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fr0br0
    MKO619 said:
    "Well lets just agree that the PS3 Sucks and you should all be playing on 360's"
    Well let's agree that you're an idiot.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By zitosilva

Well, I just finished the single player. At first I thought it was okay, but now I'm not even sure I'd be able to take it again to get throphies... I hated the whole experience, thank goodness the multiplayer is good.

The storytelling is laughable... I don't think there's one to be honest. There are too many instances were a weapon will be scripted and you'll just HAVE to get that to get thrpough the area... but no one says a damn thing about it. I have no clue how many times I killed Titans using normal weapons to later find that rocket launcher lying around. Everything is too predictable. If you find a sniper, than you'll most likely have far away enemies in just a few minutes. You found a shotgun? Get ready because invisible enemies are just aroung the next corner.
    The boss fights were terrible... they look good, sure, but they are the stupidest enemies in the game... I never got hit, not even once by any of then, and I died a lot on the game. A lot. The last boss specially... seriously, that thing was pathetic.

But my biggest gripe with the game is the ally AI, because there isn't one. It may look like there are other people beside you on the battlefield, but they are there just for show. Enemies will only aim at you, no matter what you do, specially the bigger ones (Titans come to my mind). And you allies will never ever do anything to help you. Chimera would pass by them to melee attack me and yet they wouldn't even turn around. You are alone ALL the time, no matter if there are other people near you.

I truly hated, it. Of course, none of this changes the fact that the co-op is fucking awesome. But I don't think I'll be getting back to single player again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.