Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

Oh, Sony. You're so predictable.

• 68 results
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DonPixel

@Branthog said:

@laserbolts said:

I'm sure you'll live.

What a useful contribution, you have made. If I cut off your arm, you'll still live, too. So what?

Well, what are we suppose to say honestly?

linuxscouser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By linuxscouser

Sure, it can be frustrating but I think in the grand scheme of things, it's little to worry about. You'd be in the same position if you're a PC gamer. I don't mind going away and waiting for it to be done updating before returning. I agree also that it's frustrating that Sony then introduced a cool feature and have put it behind PSN+ which I'm not willing to pay for, but that's still only useful if you leave your system on. If you switch it on to play something you're still going to have the same issue with needing to install new firmware or patches.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Sooty

@valrog said:

We still live in a world where 700 MB is considered a lot?

On the PS3 it is because the download speeds from PSN are awful and always have been for me.

and no it's not my connection, I've had this shit for years now, ports opened, wired or wireless. Still slow compared to 360 updates or downloading stuff on my PC/Laptops.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By valrog
    @Branthog: This can't be right. Sony's patching system must really be terrible if that's the case then. Or the developers'.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Branthog said:

@MisterChief said:

I hope the first thing on the PS4 design doc is "Learn how to patch". Seemingly they are unable to patch the OS or games since all the updates are massive. They also don't seem to stack most of the time.

I actually just had some conspiracy nut tell me a few minutes ago that "it's part of their plan to sell PSN+. If you make the forced patches per game enough of a hassle, you'll pay $60 to automate it when you're not using the system."

isnt that what Ryan was talking about his PSN+ doing on the bombcast?

norenewalfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By norenewalfee

I remember the days when it took even longer than that to install a game, on the pc that is. Installer for C&C 1 comes to mind... 

I do have to agree though, 700MB on launch for a patch is pretty ridiculous...

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Juicebox

Yeah theres like literally no point of the ps3 having a big hardrive since it's all gonna be updates

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mnzy

I would really be pissed since I'm on a shitty connection and I usually only play for short amounts of time.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By daiphyer

They forgot to put the Multiplayer in the disk!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Branthog

So, a 700 MB patch on launch day.

And another 700 MB patch, today (two days since launch).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Branthog

@canucks23 said:

This happens when you don't play your ps3 often. Why do people keep making these threads? It's nothing new.

What are you talking about? What does how frequently you play your PS3 have to do with a videogame having a 700MB patch on launch day and a second 700MB patch two days after launch?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ryanwho

That thing you rarely use has updates for it when you go back to it because modern things update. Yep.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ryanwho
    @Branthog said:

@canucks23 said:

This happens when you don't play your ps3 often. Why do people keep making these threads? It's nothing new.

What are you talking about? What does how frequently you play your PS3 have to do with a videogame having a 700MB patch on launch day and a second 700MB patch two days after launch?

What does a developer adding patches have to do with Sony?
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Branthog

@ryanwho said:

@Branthog said:

@canucks23 said:

What does a developer adding patches have to do with Sony?

Fair enough. I shouldn't have tagged Sony as responsible for Insomniac's shitty patching methodology.

@ryanwho said:

That thing you rarely use has updates for it when you go back to it because modern things update. Yep.

I'm pretty sure how often you update the PS3 has no relevance to a game having large patches on launch. The system update part was merely piling on to the experience. And as I pointed out a couple posts above -- it appears this will always be the case with every Resistance update (they just issued a new patch which is also 700mb).

It's not a complaint about patching itself. It's not a complaint about frequency of updates. It's a complaint that their solution to patching seems to be fairly poor. Even the PC doesn't see 700mb updates frequently, any more, because most titles have implemented a patching system that reduces them to tens of megabytes at most - unless they're adding content. (At least, for the titles I've been playing most the last few years - clearly just anecdotal).

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Ugh, can't stand the constant installations on downloads, it's like I'm using a (really, really slow) PC. If I still had Gold, I'd just get my demos from the 360.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By George_Hukas

@Branthog: Is it that big of an issue? Its your "10%" machine right? lmao.. 0% machine problem solved. Fucking gamers.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Branthog

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Branthog said:

Since the PS3 tends to be my "10% machine", meaning I only use it for about 10% of my actual game playing, I had to update it when I logged on today. Not a big deal. That usually only takes about ten minutes.

Then, I popped in Resistance 3. It required that I perform a 700mb update that took twenty more minutes (oh, plus the five minutes for it to install that update . . . and then the five or ten minutes for it to install whatever the game wanted to install the first time it actually starts up, post patch download and install).

Yup, MS copyrighted their DIFF updating process and Sony has been too cheap to lawyer up an alternative, so you got got.

Surely they only copyrighted (or patented, rather, I presume?) their particular implementation of streamed patching? I would assume different platforms or companies would have different ways of performing it (just as there are different types of compression algorithms). I mean, we've been applying patches this way in the unix world for as long as I've been alive, as far as I know.

I did a little bit of googling around to see what I found find about Microsoft's patch implementation process (as far as diff patching) and didn't really come up with anything. If you have any links you could throw at me, that would be much appreciated.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Skald

#firstworldproblems

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Branthog said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Branthog said:

Since the PS3 tends to be my "10% machine", meaning I only use it for about 10% of my actual game playing, I had to update it when I logged on today. Not a big deal. That usually only takes about ten minutes.

Then, I popped in Resistance 3. It required that I perform a 700mb update that took twenty more minutes (oh, plus the five minutes for it to install that update . . . and then the five or ten minutes for it to install whatever the game wanted to install the first time it actually starts up, post patch download and install).

Yup, MS copyrighted their DIFF updating process and Sony has been too cheap to lawyer up an alternative, so you got got.

Surely they only copyrighted (or patented, rather, I presume?) their particular implementation of streamed patching? I would assume different platforms or companies would have different ways of performing it (just as there are different types of compression algorithms). I mean, we've been applying patches this way in the unix world for as long as I've been alive, as far as I know.

I did a little bit of googling around to see what I found find about Microsoft's patch implementation process (as far as diff patching) and didn't really come up with anything. If you have any links you could throw at me, that would be much appreciated.

I don't have links but it's well know in the industry. Compression algorithms have nothing whatsoever to do with platforms, Lempel Zev exists on all platforms as does RLE. While you can't copyright a concept, you certainly can copyright an implementation and MS copyrighted DIFF for updating. DIFF patches being applied in Unixoid OSes is a different process (therefore implementation) because that is done to the source code which is then recompiled. The XBOX 360 DIFFs are to live executables (and of course the data they use). Technically it's just ASCII vs Binary in terms of implementation but I'm sure there are ways that MS worked out that they could lock it down yet make it generic enough that it would be worth copyrighting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.