Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance

Franchise »

The Resistance franchise is a series of sci-fi FPSs in which you control characters fighting a mysterious alien race in the 1950s.

Is the resistance franchise dead.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By nailmon

After insomniac leaving the franchise and Sony saying they have no definitive plans for the future of the franchise, I have to ask is the resistance franchise dead and also what the hell happened.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marcsman

With poor sales of RFOM3 which was far superior to RFOM 2, I kinda think it is dead. What happened? COD

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

The games just kept getting worse and worse, and then Insomniac left the franchise. So I'd say it's dead for a while.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

There is still a vita game coming. So no, it's not dead; it's just waiting to die.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn

@mosespippy said:

There is still a vita game coming. So no, it's not dead; it's just waiting to die.

It already came. It's bad.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nailmon

Really? I heard it sold more than a million copies, that's not a blockbuster but that should of covered the cost of development and Sony should of gained some sort of profit from it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

Resistance, Fall of Franchise.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nailmon

@iAmJohn: huh, I played burning skies on my friends vita and i thought it was pretty good for an fps on a handheld.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By mosespippy

@iAmJohn said:

@mosespippy said:

It already came. It's bad.

My bad. I played the demo of the first game and decided that it was something I could ignore. I haven't looked at a Resistance game since.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marcsman

Resistance 3 sold 180,000 copies in September and was 7th best selling in the United States. Sales were down from the 385,000 copies of Resistance 2 sold during its first month of release in November 2008.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nailmon

@Marcsman: Was that only in the first month cause I was talking about the over all copies sold.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones

It's at least dormant. I'd like to see it return, alternate history games are always interesting

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marcsman

@nailmon: Yep 1st month only. But man is that a loss or what?

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rainbowkisses

@xyzygy said:

The games just kept getting worse and worse, and then Insomniac left the franchise. So I'd say it's dead for a while.

I disagree. I though Resistance 3 was a great game and it seems that I'm not alone on that based on the majority of the reviews it received.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nailmon

@Marcsman: Yeah it is, I think it would of sold more if Sony put a bit more effort into advertising it especially with all the big releases coming out at the time.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By AngelN7

That's kinda sad it had a very good premise and the last game ( made by Insomniac) felt like some Falling Skies stuff in tone and storytelling they should have focused more on surviving impossible odds rather than standard FPS mechanics of havings lots of guns.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marcsman

@Rainbowkisses said:

@xyzygy said:

I disagree. I though Resistance 3 was a great game and it seems that I'm not alone on that based on the majority of the reviews it received.

I said it in my first post. Resistance 3 was far superior to 2.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

I remember watching g4 at the time and seeing this at e3, I think, and thinking to my self, "This is not the kind of game I want from the guys who made Ratchet and Clank." I cant fault them for trying, and I defiantly cant fault them for finishing. Now it looks kind of generic, but at the time it looked, interesting, I just dont really want a hard hitting WW2 story.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By xyzygy

@Marcsman said:

@Rainbowkisses said:

@xyzygy said:

I thought Res 1 was amazing. Man that game was good. Then the other ones, to me, just weren't as enjoyable. They aren't terrible games, but they're just not outstanding or anything at this point.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By Svenzon

When I saw that godawful commercial with Kevin Butler on a horse, I pretty much declared it dead, yes.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marcsman

@xyzygy said:

@Marcsman said:

@Rainbowkisses said:

@xyzygy said:

I thought Res 1 was amazing. Man that game was good. Then the other ones, to me, just weren't as enjoyable. They aren't terrible games, but they're just not outstanding or anything at this point.

It was my first PS3 game. And first online match. I loved it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By Justin258

@xyzygy said:

I think it's less a matter of the games getting worse and worse and more a matter of the third one being the only one worth anyone's time. Yes, the first one is functional and fine, but the first one is quite boring. The second one is pretty bad. I know that the PSP one, Retributions, suffers from some problems but it's mostly just as boring as the first game. And apparently the PSVita game doesn't do anything significant either.

So, we've got a mediocre FPS series whose only worthwhile entry was too little, too late. I wouldn't say it's completely dead yet, but it is nowhere near the cash cow that Sony wanted. In addition to that, the market is flooded with games where you shoot things, so another FPS isn't going to get Sony much money. Optimistically, I'd bet that this franchise stays dormant for the rest of this generation and at least some of the next one - but I also wouldn't at all be surprised if neither Sony nor Insomniac never mentions it again. Too bad, because I really enjoyed the third one and thought it was a great example of how to make a FPS protagonist that's mature in the actual sense of the word, not the 14 year old's macho fantasy sense of the word.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nailmon

I really hope Sony just dosent totally abandon the franchise, I don't mind if they leave it to rest for a while but I hope it does return.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I would say that it never really had a chance to be alive...With sony seeming to always push Killzone more as a first party FPS and much better third party shooters coming out on both systems, Resistance never really stood a chance besides the fact that it was a launch game and was able to sell copies that way.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By FLStyle

I don't think it warranted the term franchise to begin with.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By ToxicFruit

I enjoyed 1 to 3 never really tried the PSP games.

I would not really say it died but it ended , at least for me, after 3

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Hizang

I really enjoyed the first one, but don't know if that was because it was a launch game and I mean the graphical jump from PS2 to PS3 was really good. The second one wasn't all that hot, I just found it frustrating. I did like the third one last year though, but I would hope the series would go out on that, I don't think I need any more Resistance.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By csl316

Sucks, considering R3 was an incredible game (imo).

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phrali

dudes inside golf balls running around shooting dudes in sparkling tutus. Nope.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By august

It was dead the entire time. Like in that one movie.

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Rincewind

Resistance is going to be a launch day title for the PS4. I can predict this with a certainty.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

I doubt we'll see it come back within the next two years. You have to remember that when the original Resistance was coming out, Call of Duty 2 & 3 were around, so WW2 shooters was where it was at. Once CoD4 came out, Resistance was stuck in their setting and aesthetic. They had to hope that alien technology in the games would save their asses. However, having to compete for shelf space against Battlefield, Call of Duty, and even Sony's own Killzone, it was rarely going to get a fair chance. That's a bit saddening, given that the Resistance franchise is personally better than all three of those.

Nonetheless, it'll be a little while. Now that Insomniac is off of the franchise and is instead supposedly still working on Overstrike or whatever the fuck it was for EA, they'll have to find a solid studio to put out some decent games with that franchise to make it matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

May as well be, I have always found it to be a pretty bland shooter. The third one was alright, but nothing special.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nailmon

@jakob187: Maybe SCE bend studio.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By AndrewB

@august said:

It was dead the entire time. Like in that one movie.

Spoilers: Resistance was Bruce Willis the entire time!

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#36  Edited By Soap

We can only hope it is dead, we can only hope.

crazzzy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heard that insomniac handed the rights to another gaming company to work on the forth one if so then resistance 4 will still come out personally i love these series but maybe they can bump it up life maybe 15 years or so and itll be 2 players campaign itll be of u playing as either capelli's son or capelli who is much older now thanks to the chimera the human race advanced a bit more quickly than the normally wud have unfortunately it took more then half of those years to rebuild everything the chimera destroyed so only like five of those years were used to advance technologically and also the chimera abilities stayed with capelli i mean how else wud he have survived thoses falls he had in 3 without breaking a bone or anything and he passed some of it down to his son who is a bit more agile but anyways resistance 4 cud hopefully be seen next year or in two years

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.