Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance

Franchise »

The Resistance franchise is a series of sci-fi FPSs in which you control characters fighting a mysterious alien race in the 1950s.

What's your opinion on the franchise?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

Personally I think they lost it when 2 came out. The first one, to me, had such an original premise and unique take on World War 1 with a bunch of aliens fucking up Europe. Than it got really generic for me. I guess I was expecting this to be on a Halo level of popularity and influence on the industry but sadly that isn't the case. What about you guys? 

simulation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By simulation

Ya I really liked the alternate history story they had come up with, so I loved the first one. The second one was definitely a let down, although it was still a good game but the story wasn't nearly as good especially with Hale dying. I really don't know what to expect from this third one coming out.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

First one was decent, second one blew don't care about the 3rd.

It was just another game that was over hyped due to the original E3 trailer. Lair, Killzone and Heavenly Sword also suffered because of the original trailers.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    @zombie2011 said:
    " First one was decent, second one blew don't care about the 3rd. It was just another game that was over hyped due to the original E3 trailer. Lair, Killzone and Heavenly Sword also suffered because of the original trailers. "
    I agree with all the ones you said except Killzone. Fuck man I forgot about Heavenly Sword, another game that looked to have an interesting premise and graphical style but in the end was a total letdown. 
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

When I bought my PS3 it was bundled with the first game. I played through it with a friend and it was pretty fun, but nothing about the story or the characters (what little there were) drew me in at all. 

This has left me completely uninterested in the franchise, which is a pity since I've heard the second game was still pretty fun.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " First one was decent, second one blew don't care about the 3rd. It was just another game that was over hyped due to the original E3 trailer. Lair, Killzone and Heavenly Sword also suffered because of the original trailers. "
    I agree with all the ones you said except Killzone. Fuck man I forgot about Heavenly Sword, another game that looked to have an interesting premise and graphical style but in the end was a total letdown.  "
    Yeah also wasn't Heavenly Sword like 6 hours long. 

I tried to find the original trailer for Resistance back when it was titled i8 but had no luck. I just remember it being bad ass there were like 40 dudes on screen just running through a field getting blown up and stuff it was crazy.
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoctorOptimist

The original Resistance was a great console first-person shooter, and I would consider it to be the best console FPS since the original Halo. It offered grand scale set-pieces with intelligent A.I. and  an unique arsenal. The storyline was actually decent for an FPS, I also liked open size of the environment that played well with the set-pieces. Also, it has one of the best health system in a first-person shooter; with it's combination of regenerating and health bars. Resistance 2 was a disappointment, the way I viewed Halo 2. They watered down the health system, replacing it with the regenerating health system. The environments were also claustrophobic and quite small compared to the original's.  

The boss battles were totally scripted and just poorly designed, not to mention the unbalanced difficulty curved. I will say that the A.I. was definitely improve, it's quite impressive. Still, the game was a letdown compared to the original. I will say that Resistance 2 isn't bad, and people are just being whiny by dismissing it as a "failure". The sure did look purty for 2008.

I would also like to show this, since it's relevant. 

Surprisingly enough, he was disappointed by Resistance 2. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention Resistance: Retribution. Now that was an excellent spin-off that was actually better than any of the games in the main series; that's very rare to see.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By commandercup

I've played some of the second one and I thought it was one of the most generic shooters I have ever played. The single player is sub-par and the multiplayer doesn't have much unique appeal to it at all.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @RE_Player92 said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    I agree with all the ones you said except Killzone. Fuck man I forgot about Heavenly Sword, another game that looked to have an interesting premise and graphical style but in the end was a total letdown.  "
    Yeah also wasn't Heavenly Sword like 6 hours long.   I tried to find the original trailer for Resistance back when it was titled i8 but had no luck. I just remember it being bad ass there were like 40 dudes on screen just running through a field getting blown up and stuff it was crazy. "
    Ya launch game trailers will do that too you. I think the one thing I've learned from this generation is not to hype things up in my head. I camped out for my Wii when it came out and although Zelda was fun the system is currently somewhere in my basement collecting dust. 
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By swamplord666

i'm neutral really. I enjoyed the first one because of the campaign coop and the ratchet and clak-esque weapon selection, but they took both of those out in the sequel which was very disappointing

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

I loved the first Resistance, because it honestly reminded me of the first Halo.  The combat was sort of free form, where there were different ways to approach things and the levels were fairly open.  Beating it co-op was bad ass, and the story was intriguing.

I was initially disappointed in the second one because you were forced to use certain weapons in certain situations, the levels were a lot more scripted, etc.  In a sense, I didn't improvise in the battles as much.  But when I finished it, I realized that it had a ton of memorable moments, and I thought they nailed the atmosphere the were going for (everything has gone to hell).

Looking forward to 3, for sure.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By luce

Could not be more generic imo

I prefer Killzone 2

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By canucks23

Loved the first one, with it's dark, gritty atmosphere and somewhat suspensful parts. The second one completely ruined the franchise for me story-wise and gameplay wise. They just tried to make it into a CoD game and it was terrible. I'm hoping the guys at Insomniac can learn their lessons from the 2nd game and go back to where they were going with the first one. for R3. I'm really interested to see what direction they're going to take the game now.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @luce said:
    " Could not be more generic imo  I prefer Killzone 2 "
    Irony 101.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

Didn't love the first one but I liked it enough to  play through it twice. The second one bored me to tears and I couldn't get through it quick enough. Both games have  pretty original and fun guns though. I hated that they took out the default rifle and replaced it with the shitty magnum in the second game. The one-hit-kill tweeting birdy noise enemies were a stupid idea also. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.