Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resonance of Fate

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jan 28, 2010

A "gun battle" RPG developed at tri-Ace in collaboration with SEGA.

Someone who is not a bad tutorial, tell me about the hero gauge

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ventilaator

I'm at chapter seven and having a lot of fun with this game, but I'm still not clear on something. Could someone break it down, in list form or something, all of the possible ways you can regain a blip on the hero gauge while in combat?

Whenever I feel like I have figured out a way, that way doesn't work in the next fight anymore, so I'm confused. Other times I'll get a blip back and don't have any clue why that just happened.

BONUS QUESTION: There isn't a sentence written about this game on the Internet without the word "grind" in it. I'm at chapter seven (without still understanding some of the game as it turns out) and I haven't grinded for a second yet, when does the grinding kick in?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

ok, you gain it by either killing someone, or by breaking one of the gauges around the enemy (shields, sometimes it's the hat for some silly reason) but that's it, besides resting obviously (I've put 110 hours into this game so I should hope i know a thing or two about it lol)

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

I am not going to lie, you should go to the Arena and do ALL of the tutorials. They took me like 40 minutes but it was well worth it, learned a lot of neat tricks and such, including how the gague works.

But yes, what Animasta said is correct. Breaking a gague will give you 1 crystal and killing someone will give you one.

Also to answer the bonus question I can only imagine grinding is for either endgame stuff I have not gotten to yet (I am on chapter 9 atm) or talking about hexes. I have not found a fast way to get a ton of hexes thus far so I just have that item drop terminal linked to the rainy bridge outside Ebel and kill fat dudes whenever I need hexes (usually get 4 or 5 per battle and I can kill everyone in 1 hero action). That said, I am super compulsive about hexes and use more than you even have to, like in chapter 9 every single hex I can reach on the map is full... I fucking love reactivating hexes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animasta

you only need to grind if you want to upgrade your gun to be the very best, or you want to finish the optional dungeon and raise your level to 300

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Man, that game was confusing as hell. I couldn't even get past the first boss.Shame cause it looked cool.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animasta

@Enigma777 said:

Man, that game was confusing as hell. I couldn't even get past the first boss.Shame cause it looked cool.

going through the arena tutorials were generally all you needed for the basics, and the game tells you it's more complicated than it really is; smackdowns and gauges and popups or whatever, not saying it's easy to understand, but yah

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Enigma777 said:

I'd say everything is super complicated, but it's not. What it really boils down to is machine guns cause crazy amounts of damage, but that damage is not activated until a handgun hits the same target. Once you understand that everything else just sort of becomes obvious to be honest, at least it did for me. 

There is A LOT going on in the combat, and it's what makes me love the game so much, but I didn't really find it that confusing. 

If anything this game really reminds me how much I love crazy deep/complex and rewarding combat in RPGs, shame we don't see it a whole lot anymore.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

@Animasta said:

@Enigma777 said:

going through the arena tutorials were generally all you needed for the basics, and the game tells you it's more complicated than it really is; smackdowns and gauges and popups or whatever, not saying it's easy to understand, but yah

Thing is I did do all the tutorials. Twice! But that fucker still kicked my ass at least two dozen times and he kept breaking my gauge thing and then I kept dying. Or something. It's been a while...

Guess something just couldn't click b/w me and the game.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turambar

To regain blips on the meter
    - Kill enemy
    - Destroy enemy body part
    - Crack enemy hp bar (making multiple black lines appear on it) and taking out one segment of hp.

Each of those gets you back one blip.  The first two methods are the most straight forward but hp gauge cracks will probably be what gets you the most blips later on.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Turambar said:
      The first two methods are the most straight forward but hp gauge cracks will probably be what gets you the most blips later on.
    Oh man this is so true where I am in the game atm, it's hilarious. I gave Vash 2 pistols and outside of bosses I don't even bother having him attack my scratch damage targets, I just leave it to Leanne. I usually have him running around wearing that accessory that gives you more bonus shots regaining like 4 or 5 pieces of the gague per 1 hero action. It's comedy. 

God I love this game, fuck Sega for putting it out 1 week after FF13 launched. Like who thought that was a good idea, I mean really.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turambar
    @Enigma777 said:

@Animasta said:

@Enigma777 said:

Thing is I did do all the tutorials. Twice! But that fucker still kicked my ass at least two dozen times and he kept breaking my gauge thing and then I kept dying. Or something. It's been a while...

Guess something just couldn't click b/w me and the game.

Wasn't the first boss that giant pyro guy or something?  I just took advantage of the exploding barrels on the stage and ran normally isn't of using a heroic movement (enemy only moves when you move) until he was next to one and shot it.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Turambar: I believe the first legit boss was the guy with the giant arm thing, yes there was exploding barrels.   

To be honest if you hadn't figured out scratch damage and HP damage by then there was NO hope ever in defeating him. They really don't even give you a hint either with Vash being in the attack order before Zeph when in reality you wanted Zeph attacking first every turn at that point in the game (assuming you didn't swap any weapons around).
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ventilaator

Thanks for clearing this up.

@Zenaxzd said:

I am not going to lie, you should go to the Arena and do ALL of the tutorials. They took me like 40 minutes but it was well worth it, learned a lot of neat tricks and such, including how the gague works.

I did that, and what I learned from that was that killing an enemy, destroying a body part and depleting a HP gauge up to the point where its cracked are the ways to get a blip back.

That led me to wondering which one of those happened when I hero actioned towards a boss and got a blip back from my first shot. I didn't kill it, I didn't destroy a body part and I didn't deplete it's HP to the cracked point because it's not even cracked yet.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By obcdexter

Don't you also get one blip back when you launch your enemy into the air? Or does that always come along with a break or destruction of a body part ...?

Jeez, I platinumed this game, but it's been a while.

I was constantly doing side quests and a decent amount of grinding, so that I always had guns good enough to make the battles rather easy. Still,

hero-action a MP dual-wielder towards the far end of the map, jump and unload on the enemy to get their bars "as blue as possible", then finishing

the enemy off with a few shots from a pistol-character always seemed to get the job done - never actually fully engaged in the whole triangle-group-attack-thingy ...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

Can a person be a tutorial?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the main thing that took a little while for me to get a handle on was knocking people into the air, and then jumping up and slamming them back down a lot. don't think i did that much early on.

it's a shame the system can be so overwhelming, but maybe that's just the price you pay for being so different from the norm. they should have started you off with maybe 4 bezels instead of 3 though, makes it very easy to go critical when you've just started and trying to get the hang of things.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @drag: I actually imagine the Bezel situation is TERRIBLE if you don't do side things. I'd say about half of my shards now (I am at 8 total in chapter 10) have come from those random red hexes with "tougher than normal" enemies. But yeah, the game should of started with 4 instead of 3, 3 is pretty rough.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Grissefar

@Animasta said:

@Enigma777 said:

Are those red hexes where you get bezel shards and a boss episode specific to each chapter? I've gotten those I've stumpled upon so far in chapter 6 and I'm at 5½ or something, but it would suck if I had missed some just because I didn't go to every area in every chapter.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@Grissefar: you will never be able to miss bezel shards; the red hexes where monsters are that give hexes are always on the board, even if you get to them 8 chapters later.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grissefar: the red ones won't disappear, so you can leave those and beat them later if you like.

but the red ones with an exclamation mark over them will disappear at the end of a chapter. most likely that won't be a problem though cos you'll usually have to go through them during the chapter anyway

that said, when i played i somehow missed a shard somewhere and i have no idea how or where. i was super-careful and checked all over the map every chapter. but i started new game plus and had a quarter or a half of a bezel missing. unless there's an uneven amount of shards in the game, which seems unlikely. no idea how i missed one

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By beforet

As for grinding, the only grinding you'll need to do is at the arena for hexes. He's my hint, try to connect improved drop rates to the arena. That way you can always just redo battles instead of waiting for randoms. The only time I grinded for levels was, again, at the arena against (I think) the second to last boss battle. Against the two helicopters. Killing one and then resetting was a great way to boost my weapon levels.

Just as an aside, are you using the infinite money trick?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

@drag: you sure? I think level 11 has like 3 seperate areas that are quite confusing, plus the fact that there are bezel shards hidden in white blocks as well

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grissefar

@drag said:

@Grissefar: the red ones won't disappear, so you can leave those and beat them later if you like.

but the red ones with an exclamation mark over them will disappear at the end of a chapter. most likely that won't be a problem though cos you'll usually have to go through them during the chapter anyway

that said, when i played i somehow missed a shard somewhere and i have no idea how or where. i was super-careful and checked all over the map every chapter. but i started new game plus and had a quarter or a half of a bezel missing. unless there's an uneven amount of shards in the game, which seems unlikely. no idea how i missed one

@Animasta said:

@Grissefar: you will never be able to miss bezel shards; the red hexes where monsters are that give hexes are always on the board, even if you get to them 8 chapters later.

How about the red hexes with exclamation marks that are tied to quests? Once, there was 4 of them on the board but I got the quest drop from the first one and skipped the 3 others. Were there bezel shards in those? I don't even know if there were a bezel shard in the first one.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grissefar

@Animasta said:

@drag: you sure? I think level 11 has like 3 seperate areas that are quite confusing, plus the fact that there are bezel shards hidden in white blocks as well

What is a white block? A white hex on the world map?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

yes yes that's what I meant

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.