Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Respawn Entertainment

Company »

Formed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Respawn Entertainment is a game development company owned by EA.

Respawn Hasn't Started Its First Game Yet

• 119 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Despite what the Internet might have told you, EA Partners has no idea what Respawn Entertainment's next game will be. The new studio's bosses, Jason West and Vince Zampella, don't know either. They're still picking out couches, presumably throwing around ideas, and otherwise building a studio from the ground up. In other words, it'll take some time before we see their first game since Modern Warfare 2.

But that doesn't mean EA Partners isn't amped about the studio's first game, regardless of what it'll be. "It's like the Pope coming from the group of cardinals," EA Partners boss David DeMartini told Eurogamer in Cologne. "We're sitting there waiting for the smoke to come up and when it does, we'll call you." DeMartini's reverence for the two is, of course, founded in the belief that they can ship another success as enormous as Modern Warfare 2, their last game at  Infinity Ward.

This won't end well.
    This won't end well.

"These are two guys who really know what they're doing--having to go find a place for the team, buy chairs and desks and furniture, find new technology from the ground up, and pull a team together. I need HR people and contracts. These are all kinds of things and administration that need to take place."

"Amongst all that administration they've pulled together the core of a fantastic team and they're starting to work on a whole bunch of ideas to try and find what is going to be the one right idea for us," DeMartini said.

It'll be tough for Respawn to start work on its next game before it gets an engine, a full team, and desk chairs, in place, but there's a lot of enthusiasm surrounding these two guys, and an obvious hope that they can bring another product to market that will capture the masses' attention. Do you share that sentiment?
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Despite what the Internet might have told you, EA Partners has no idea what Respawn Entertainment's next game will be. The new studio's bosses, Jason West and Vince Zampella, don't know either. They're still picking out couches, presumably throwing around ideas, and otherwise building a studio from the ground up. In other words, it'll take some time before we see their first game since Modern Warfare 2.

But that doesn't mean EA Partners isn't amped about the studio's first game, regardless of what it'll be. "It's like the Pope coming from the group of cardinals," EA Partners boss David DeMartini told Eurogamer in Cologne. "We're sitting there waiting for the smoke to come up and when it does, we'll call you." DeMartini's reverence for the two is, of course, founded in the belief that they can ship another success as enormous as Modern Warfare 2, their last game at  Infinity Ward.

This won't end well.
    This won't end well.

"These are two guys who really know what they're doing--having to go find a place for the team, buy chairs and desks and furniture, find new technology from the ground up, and pull a team together. I need HR people and contracts. These are all kinds of things and administration that need to take place."

"Amongst all that administration they've pulled together the core of a fantastic team and they're starting to work on a whole bunch of ideas to try and find what is going to be the one right idea for us," DeMartini said.

It'll be tough for Respawn to start work on its next game before it gets an engine, a full team, and desk chairs, in place, but there's a lot of enthusiasm surrounding these two guys, and an obvious hope that they can bring another product to market that will capture the masses' attention. Do you share that sentiment?
    Theclutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Theclutch

im skeptical 

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jos1ah

nope
    DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By DjCmeP

I really hope that the game won't be just another FPS.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fontan

Let's see what they'll come up with.
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By FrankWeidner

This is hard-hitting, chair-buying news! 

Will they go with orbital chairs? Desk chairs? WOODEN CHAIRS?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vorbis

I wasn't a MW2 fan, but I have liked their previous work, looking forward to it.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
    @Theclutch: Of... their purchasing of furniture? 

Hey, it's like any new business. You gotta setup: Get the staff, get the office, get your equipment and stuff. It doesn't sound like they're just sitting on their arses through all of this. They're probably working on their core tech libraries and probably throwing around and prototyping some stuff. I'm interested to see what comes of it.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MisterMouse

When they finally get around to it, do you think it will be another modern combat like game?

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By CyleMoore

I wish them well, fuck Activision

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By radioactivez0r

It seems a little presumptuous to think they can top the sales success of MW2 starting from scratch. 

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Colin

I sure hope they make the right decisions or it won't end well.    
    Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Robitt

I wonder if they will make like a spiritual successor to MW2.. Either way, I'm curious.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunExplosions

I have no hope for them. I'm sure I will barely care about this next game the same way I barely cared about MW2. And if it's just another MW game, then a lot of other people won't care a whole lot either.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By microshock

Considering IW's past two works have been trash, I have no hope.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Azteck

I'm hoping they'll take this opportunity to try and create something new, now that they are no longer tied down to Activision.

That said, I have my doubt if this will happen. Starting a studio from the ground up like that is shaky business, albeit they have excellent credentials and will without a doubt attract the attention of others in the business without a job. But given how the market looks these days, an FPS is without a doubt the safest bet, which is why I think it is what they'll go for. I hope they'll do well though.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Crono

When I look at MW2 I can't help but think that these 2 are getting a lot more credit than they deserve.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By yevinorion

I'm curious purely to see what it is they do eventually create. If it will be just another (excellent) modern warfare-esque title or if it will be something more unique. I'm guessing more the former as everyone is really trying to get paid.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sil3n7

I absolutely share that sentiment. Starting a new development studio with no previous tech or engine has got to be rough. Good luck to them. I know they won't let us down.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kollay

I guess they're having some major lag issues 

(Puts on sunglasses)

for the long Respawn.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By foggel
    @Microshock said:
    " Considering IW's past two works have been trash, I have no hope. "
    I disagree. I'm kind of hoping for a spiriual successor to MW2.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayzilla

comparing the importance of game makers to the pope is laughable. whether or not you think it is is irrelevant. the pope is an important world figure, whereas game makers make games.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By ectoplasma

I think they will make another Bioshock game.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#24  Edited By EpicBenjamin
        @kollay said:
    "I guess they're having some major lag issues    (Puts on sunglasses) for the long Respawn. "

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MisterMollusk
    @Jayzilla: Chill dude. You're reading a gaming blog.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Jayzilla said:
    " comparing the importance of game makers to the pope is laughable. whether or not you think it is is irrelevant. the pope is an important world figure, whereas game makers make games. "
    I agree completely, but there are some people out there that treat these two guys as if they fell out of Jesus' ass himself. 

It would be really cool to see them try and do something else other than a "dude with gun go shoot people" game.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @Microshock said:
    " Considering IW's past two works have been trash, I have no hope. "
    Ya know the thing about this comment is, you say it as if it's fact. What should be said is "I am of the opinion that IW's last two works were trash". Because the way you said it, you make it sound as if an obviously misinformed opinion is fact....
    Simmse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Simmse

BREAKING NEWS.

Nothing has happened.

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By koobz
    @Crono said:
    " When I look at MW2 I can't help but think that these 2 are getting a lot more credit than they deserve. "
    Definitely.  It seems like EA is banking on buzzwords with these two names.  While both MWs were tightly crafted FPS games, there wasn't a whole lot about them that was really unique (aside from sales figures).  These guys are the Michael Bays of video games.  They pull in money with games that aim for the expected and throw one or two exploding curveballs.

EA really needs to calm down a bit.  It's embarrassing how reverent they are of these two guys.  They led the design teams on two mass-appeal shooters that were practically identical in gameplay.  They aren't two little Miyamotos or something.

I realize DeMartini needs to hype people up and get them interested in buying products, but the whole Pope thing seems like Xtreme Hyperbole (Hypopebole?) to me.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Ujio
    @Jayzilla said:
    " comparing the importance of game makers to the pope is laughable. whether or not you think it is is irrelevant. the pope is an important world figure, whereas game makers make games. "
    That's 'cause he's not talking about the actual Pope, but rather the PROCESS used in deciding a new pope in how they have to wait for the smoke signal and how it can sometimes be a very lengthy process NOT THE MAN HIMSELF. He's not directly comparing the Pope to these people. 

Maybe if you actually comprehended the sentence as it was written you wouldn't be so sensitive.
    SilentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SilentZero

Tactical Chairs bro

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#32  Edited By Mystyr_E
    @foggel: 

so basically make a duo, known for military first-person shooters, new team and new publisher, continue to make military first person shooters? sounds stupid
    microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By microshock
    @MaddProdigy: Misinformed? Oh, I guess playing the last two pieces of trash they put out is being uninformed. 

Actually, the COD4 SP was impressive for it's time. It's MP was trash but less trashy than MW2's broken and buggy mess of an excuse for MP. MW2's SP was like wut? Wut did i just play? Wuut.

Also, I don't have to put "OH HEY GUYS ITS MY OPINION HERE" everytime I write something. If you're that antsy about people writing what they think, you should yell at every GB reviewer for not saying "in my own opinion". 

So yeah.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Kyreo
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:
    " This is hard-hitting, chair-buying news!  Will they go with orbital chairs? Desk chairs? WOODEN CHAIRS? "
    OH GOD!!! What if they bought FOLDABLE CHAIRS???
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By awesomeusername

@Koobz: I give up on you. LOL. 
    @kollay:Wow... Who would've ever thought of that. Good one. 

I like MW better MW2. I show no interest for their next project. MW2 was a dud to me.

knorglux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By knorglux

SInce EA already has MOH, it'd be kinda weird if they made another modern warfare game. I'm hoping they'll make something new and not just more of the same.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Binman88
    @Crono said:
    " When I look at MW2 I can't help but think that these 2 are getting a lot more credit than they deserve. "
    Absolutely. Sales figures don't translate to quality - which is something I think a lot of people have been tricked by.  

MW2 should be lauded for it's professional pandering to a certain crowd to maximise sales more than anything. It's a competent game, but in my eyes it severely lacked in quality multiplayer map design and balance, and didn't reward precision and reflexes like a proper FPS should. To clarify on that last point - I played the PC version, and I was able to shoot people as they ran around corners, as others were able to do to me. Either massive, laggy hit boxes or some server-side fudging of the bullet paths - whatever it was, it meant you didn't have to be as accurate.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DukeTogo

Sounds like two John Romeros for the price of one.

Yeahbuhwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yeahbuhwhat

Maybe they should get started so they don't have to release so many post-launch patches to make it playable online.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZeroCast

Take your time Gentleman. I am looking at a great future of the games you're going to create.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Millions of people hate their bosses and the companies they work for, but negotiations with your employer's biggest competitor = gtfo.  While I hope Respawn makes some great games, I'm fairly indifferent on the whole IW fiasco.    

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By striderno9

I figure they would still be in the process of building. It's okay we got other games to worry about.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#43  Edited By sammo21

I really liked CoD4 I really did not like CoDMW2.  The multiplayer is too busy and "ADD" to really enjoy for my tastes.  BC2 definitely won out of that battle in my opinion.

Anyway, I wish them well and hope to see exciting stuff from them.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fjordson
    @kollay said:

" I guess they're having some major lag issues    (Puts on sunglasses) for the long Respawn. "

Lmao.

I'm excited for their next game. They made the best Medal of Honor game, and I loved the first Modern Warfare. I think more creative freedom with EA is going to result in something pretty cool.

@Koobz: Two shooters? You're forgetting Allied Assault. Yet another great game that they were involved with.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#45  Edited By sammo21
    @Microshock:   Sorry to hear you think that.  I didn't enjoy MW2 as much as I did COD4 but it was hardly trash.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ravensword

Spoiler: its probaly going to be a military shooter.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Franstone

I predict Aeron chairs... comfy and expensive. 

Respawn later files for bankruptcy due to excessive chair buying...
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By myslead
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " Spoiler: its probaly going to be a military shooter. "
    ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ip007

I am cautiously optimistic but this isn't big news. They just started up the studio and are still hiring, it's not like they can announce a game that fast.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By DoctorWelch

I really think that these guys are going to make another amazing game. I honestly hope they make another shooter, because with both Halo and Call of Duty being in not so great hands for the future, there needs to be another FPS to take the place of these two behemoths in the next 5 years. Although COD and Halo wont die (because activision and microsoft wont let them) I dont think they will continue to be as big as they are. That is unless no one comes in to take their spots. I am so excited for the future of gaming, to see what both Respawn and Bungie will be making. 

All I know is I hope its not some stupid third person action God of War like game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.