BROKEN EFFING CHEAT CODE BS BUGS

#1 Posted by depecheload (497 posts) -

So throughout the game you can find cheat codes on billboards and such. I put one in and the game said "SAVING, ACHIEVEMENTS AND PROGRESS WON'T BE SAVED UNTIL YOU RELAUNCH THE GAME!"

Didn't like that. So I quit my game and started again. Played for about two hours, unlocked a ton of stuff. Time to quit. Go to save game.

"YOU ENTERED A CHEAT CODE. SAVING IS LOCKED UNTIL YOU RELAUNCH THE GAME."

Oh, I'm sorry. FUCK YOU.

I quit and restarted. That should count.

A warning to anyone else.

#2 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

Quitting to the main menu doesn't count. You have to relaunch the game.

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Cool. This is a lot more like GTA than it ever seemed.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Well, it warned you that you needed to relaunch the game.

#5 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

So you're complaining because you didn't follow rules? Okay.

Pro-tip: Re-launch the client, not just the file.

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I do not see how the game is broken?

#7 Posted by abdo (1044 posts) -

@MrKlorox: indeed it is. The more you play, the more you see all the systems from the first GTAs, like the rampages, mission briefings, there's even a junkyard, but instead of crushing cars it launches them into the sea.

#8 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

@depecheload said:

A warning to anyone else.

Thanks for the warning! I'll be sure to pay attention and read what things say and not be foolish and then get angry for my own lack of attention!

#9 Edited by depecheload (497 posts) -

Oh yeah, I forgot that everyone here is freaking infallible.

Jerks.

ETA: Seriously? I'm sorry, what I did was not out of the realm of reality. I read "relaunch" as "quit and restart." That is not something that requires a system-level reset. No reason at all. Just poor desgin.

Shit, I even wrote to the creator to complain and he said that's a problem that he wants to fix.

But whatever, I can't read. Fine. That's poor design and poor UI. God forbid I try to stop other people from making my mistake, while venting in the process. Sigh, thanks for the needless attitude.

#10 Posted by TheVideoHustler (404 posts) -

Holy shit. Calm the f down.

#11 Posted by mystakin (100 posts) -

I have to agree with OP. I had the same thing happen, though I was lucky enough not to lose a lot. Quitting to the main menu IS re-launching the game, and I believe the cheat benefits don't even carry over if you restart without re-launching. It may not be broken as he suggests, but it's absolutely counter-intuitive and could lead to people losing tons of progress.

If I had lost 2 hours of progress because of bad menu design, I'd be pretty upset to.

#12 Posted by robdburrows (40 posts) -

The problem, that is causing the other forum posters to jump down your throat, is that the thread isn't framed it as an 'FYI, this will lead to this'. It is framed as 'f this broken game! (rage)'. You misinterpreted the cheat warning, these things do happen. The English language leads to these issues often.

However, blaming the game for being linguistically ambiguous done not equate broken and is definitely not worth the title 'BROKEN EFFING CHEAT CODE BS BUGS'

#13 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Yelling at your audience is not a great way to get your message across.

#14 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

This is so stooooooopid.

#15 Posted by BisonHero (7035 posts) -

@robdburrows said:

The problem, that is causing the other forum posters to jump down your throat, is that the thread isn't framed it as an 'FYI, this will lead to this'. It is framed as 'f this broken game! (rage)'. You misinterpreted the cheat warning, these things do happen. The English language leads to these issues often.

However, blaming the game for being linguistically ambiguous done not equate broken and is definitely not worth the title 'BROKEN EFFING CHEAT CODE BS BUGS'

Exactly. Nothing is broken. Nothing is a bug. It explicitly tells the player to relaunch the game.

#16 Posted by mystakin (100 posts) -

Nothing is broken in a mechanical sense, but the design feels broken. He followed instructions and relaunched the game, just not in the way the game expected him to. At least warn the player when they re-enter without re-launching.

I agree OP overreacted, but I don't blame him given the circumstances.

#17 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

@depecheload: Relaunch means relaunch, I don't see how you can label this situation as "broken" or "a bug". Must've been pretty frustrating though.

#18 Posted by MrQuizmo (54 posts) -

Made the same mistake. Really frustrating.

Also, I'm with OP. Saying "relaunch" doesn't immediately strike me as "Oh, I gotta straight up turn off the game." I understand that that's what it means now that I learned the lesson, but it's completely understandable that someone could read that and not realize that a full game restart is in order.

#19 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

Perfectly valid point with ambiguous language, just drop the anger, antagonism and caps lock to prevent people from giving you such terse responses.

#20 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@GreggD said:

This is so stooooooopid.

It is. I love it!

#21 Posted by yellownumber5 (381 posts) -

@depecheload: I was confused by this too. I thought "relaunch" would mean load an old save. I didn't think it meant quitting the game. I wondered too, why I couldn't undo the cheat by entering it again. I tried several times. It makes the cheat seem frivolous, especially if the cheat is offered so easily, I would have thought that care would have been taken to not break the game. Oh well....

#22 Posted by TheHT (11781 posts) -

Well... shit happens.

#23 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -

VIDEO GAMES ARE SO SERIOUS RAAAAAHHH THEY MAKE ME SO AAAAAANGRYYYYYYYY.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.